Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend 85: Do you believe yourself that all the evils of the world are attributable to original sin?
  • Options
    yes, that ultimately things go wrong because humans are inherrantly in error
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    yes, that ultimately things go wrong because humans are inherrantly in error

My biblical knowledge is sketchy so please bear with me.

So freewill isn't infact a gift but a repercussion of original sin?
  • Options
    No, "freewill" (inverted commas because it's not an accurate premise) is the same now as it was before.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, "freewill" (inverted commas because it's not an accurate premise) is the same now as it was before.

Again bear with my sketchy knowledge.

In biblical terms, Adam, while in the Garden of Eden was following Gods will. When he chose not to, original sin was commited (which we all inherit), and was then cast out of the Garden of Eden. As we all have original sin we also inherit the freewill aspect?

Or is it the case that the freewill was always there but we weren't supposed to use it?
  • Options
    Yes, as human nature was with Adam, so it essentially is with everyone. Roughly.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yes, as human nature was with Adam, so it essentially is with everyone. Roughly.

So Adam had the option of freewill, as he evidently used it. Yet he was supposed not to use it?
  • Options
    This is where the freewill model breaks down. It's a lot more complicated than that. Though, to skip all the theory and go to the end product.

All things happen to glorify God, God is given more glory by the fall from perfection and rescue back to perfect creation, than by creation just being perfect all the way through. Ultimately, this is a difficult concept (believe me I struggle with it). Because it begs the question "is God's glory really worth it?" as far as I'm concerned, the answer is yes. And before anyone says that I only think that because I've had a cushy life, you're wrong.
  • Options
    Why does God want glory? It seems a bit egotistical to me.
  • Options
    It is rightly deserved, and yes, it is extremely egotistical, but because it's Him, it's justified egotism.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    This is where the freewill model breaks down. It's a lot more complicated than that. Though, to skip all the theory and go to the end product.

More complicated how so? Surely free will is either there or it isn't. Again PM me if you like as i think we're taking this topic off on a tangent.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    All things happen to glorify God, God is given more glory by the fall from perfection and rescue back to perfect creation, than by creation just being perfect all the way through. Ultimately, this is a difficult concept (believe me I struggle with it). Because it begs the question "is God's glory really worth it?" as far as I'm concerned, the answer is yes. And before anyone says that I only think that because I've had a cushy life, you're wrong.

So in lamens terms all the evil and suffering that happens in the world as a consequence of original sin is in the name of the glory of God. Doesn't this bother you?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It is rightly deserved, and yes, it is extremely egotistical, but because it's Him, it's justified egotism.

See, I don't get this. If God exists and created the world and is perfect and all the rest of it, why does he expect glory and praise? It all seems a bit vain, egotistical and narcissistic.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    See, I don't get this. If God exists and created the world and is perfect and all the rest of it, why does he expect glory and praise? It all seems a bit vain, egotistical and narcissistic.

But then isnt that judging God by human standards, something that probably doesnt really work.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But then isnt that judging God by human standards, something that probably doesnt really work.
    Exactly.

CptCoatHanger, history is a result of a combination of pre-destination ie God's will, and election, ie free-will.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

OK, I get that. But if we can't judge him by human standards (presumably he is better than us etc), why is he so concerned with praise from humans? Its bizarre.
  • Options
    Again, you're looking at things from a human perspective. I don't pretend to be able to understand God, but that's what the deal is.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Exactly.

CptCoatHanger, history is a result of a combination of pre-destination ie God's will, and election, ie free-will.

So freewill / election is only around when God decides not to impose his will?

Doesn't that really negate freewill as it's something that can be taken away.
  • Options
    indeed.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    indeed.

I don't mean to come across as arrogant, it's just the questions that are coming into my head. I'm genuinely interested.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    i know hitting a child on the head with a brick is wrong
    Why?

There must be some absolute truth in the world.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Again, you're looking at things from a human perspective. I don't pretend to be able to understand God, but that's what the deal is.

Seems rather unfair to me.
  • Options
    Anyone who demands praise and worshipping in order to grant access to Paradise, regardless of whether the person has been good all their lives, is clearly NOT a perfect being and suffers from egotism/narcissim. Claiming that we cannot judge God by human standards simply doesn't wash.

By any standards of good and bad, right and wrong, any person who live their lives helping others and being a good Samaritan should have just as every right to enter 'Heaven' as a good Samaritan who has also spent their lives signing the praises of God.

If God is the faultless, perfect being some claim he is, at least.
  • Options
    Claiming that we cannot judge God by human standards simply doesn't wash.

God is not human.
  • Options
    Doesn't that really negate freewill as it's something that can be taken away.
    We all have free will and a conscience that allows us to make choices, whether to live a life in accordance with Our Lord's teachings, or to live a sinful life. The former gives our etrenal souls the opportunity to possibly reside one day in Heaven, the latter gives us eternal pain in Hell.
    You make your own choices.
  • Options
    God is not human.

On the contrary, our concept of god is very human. How could it be otherwise?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    We all have free will and a conscience that allows us to make choices, whether to live a life in accordance with Our Lord's teachings, or to live a sinful life. The former gives our etrenal souls the opportunity to possibly reside one day in Heaven, the latter gives us eternal pain in Hell.

Blah! Blah! Blah!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

What about sociopaths who don't have a conscience?
  • Options
    God is not human.
    So? He has suppossedly given us certain values. Altruism is certainly one of them. Not being a self-obsessed egomaniac is being another.

In conclusion, anyone who is an egomaniac cannot be perfect, be human or deity.

So clearly God isn't a perfect being. Either that or he never intended for us to worshipping throughout our lives, and we have just been sold that by the organised religions of this world.

Which one will it be?
  • Options
    On the contrary, our concept of god is very human. How could it be otherwise?

How is an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient being human?? :confused:
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Regardless of your prejudices and hatred for certain groups, guess where you're going if you don't renounce to your wealth and love of money...

Start stocking factor-10,000 suntan... You're going to need it.