Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    That's because you're a human

Thats a circular argument and you know it.
  • Options
    I dont know any humans which are omnipotent,omniscient or omnipresent.

Do you?

You're missing the point - they are human concepts. How can they be anything else?
  • Options
    Human concepts, so what?

I cannot comprehend an omnipresent being, just like I cannot comprehsned the size of the Universe or the number infinity.
  • Options
    Blagsta complained multiple times.

I find it quite sad actually. I think he was provoked a lot of the time.

This is the third poster banned, first PNJ, then Lukesh now Rich Kid.

I reported *one* post, so get your facts right before casting allegations around. Seems to be a common thing with you at the moment - allegations without any facts to back them up.
  • Options
    Human concepts, so what?

I cannot comprehend an omnipresent being, just like I cannot comprehsned the size of the Universe or the number infinity.

So...our concept of god is human.
  • Options
    Human concepts, so what?

You can comprehend what an omnipotent being is. Just not what it would be like to be one.

If we knew the size of the universe then someone could quantify it for you.

Inifinity isn't a number.
  • Options
    No more rich kid. :(

Shame really, I enjoyed his cack handed trolling more than it annoyed me, tbh.
  • Options
    So...our concept of god is human.

Our concept of God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, as well as benevolent.
    You can comprehend what an omnipotent being is. Just not what it would be like to be one.

I certainly cant. If you can please describe one to me.
    If we knew the size of the universe then someone could quantify it for you.

We dont know. We never will.
    Inifinity isn't a number.

Fine, I cannot comprehend the concept of infinity.
  • Options
    Our concept of God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, as well as benevolent.

Vengeful as well. Which are all human concepts.
  • Options
    How is God vengeful?
  • Options
    How is God vengeful?

I suggest you read the Old Testament sometime.
  • Options
    The Old Testament was written by man.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I suggest you read the Old Testament sometime.

:yes: i read a passage once where God sent a swarm of killer flies to kill a man who sinned...some difference to "love your neighbour"
  • Options
    The Old Testament was written by man.

As was the New Testament. So?
  • Options
    So you cant take what it says as being the absolute truth about God.
  • Options
    So you cant take what it says as being the absolute truth about God.

So - we can't take any of the Bible to be absolute truth about God. Which leaves you...where exactly?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So - we can't take any of the Bible to be absolute truth about God. Which leaves you...where exactly?

Who said anything about the Bible? :confused:

We are debating God here.
  • Options
    My Dad is gay. He knew he was in early teenage, and in those days it was still illegal. He hated himself for it and tired to lie about it to everyone around him thinking maybe he could change himself to be straight. (Infact he only told his mum he's gay about 4 years ago). So I know it isn't scientific proof but to me that shows me that it just cannot possibly be a choice people can make.
    He wanted kids so me married my mum (they got married cos they're christian and didn't believe in sex before marriage... they are however now divorced :rolleyes: ) My mum did know about his sexuality before they married but no one else did and he's only really resently come out.

Most gay people don't find someone who would have kids with them though, I reckon possibly there is a gay gene to stop humans over-populizing (sp?). Although if it was a gene I don't know how it's going to survive now that being gay is accepted in socioty (most of the time anyway) because more people are no longer affraid of living as who they really are instead of pretending to be straight.
    I dunno though, I think it's probably got nuture involved too. :chin:
  • Options

You did, you brought it up you twonk.

[edit]
    Actually it was me :o

But you believe in a Christian god, right?
  • Options
    But you believe in a Christian god, right?

:confused::confused: No, Where did I say I was Christian?
  • Options
    From an evolutionary point of view, homosexuality is a corruption of the gene pool in that it's a gene that weakens the genome
    except the long term prevalence suggests it doesn't
    (in evolutionary terms, if we're less likely to have kids, we're more likely to die out)

Ah yes, like ants where almost all females are sterile. Those must be nearing extinction now.
    so it dies out, because there are less gay people have children than straight people. This is why I also believe it's mainly down to someone's identity and not their genes because otherwise gay genes would be seriously rare, where I think 1 in 50 people is gay or something similar.
    There are two popular scenarios for a gay gene being beneficial to the genome (in moderation). The traditional one is that gay uncles are able to contribute to the upbringing of their nieces and nephews, and don't cause extra expenditure in the competition for the chance to mate with the fertile female. This is related to the "pink pound" argument. The theory currently in vogue suggests it isn't a gay gene, but a "likes to have lots of sex with men" gene - which at a stroke explains why gay men are so promiscuous and why it survives so well - because the women with it breed better. Personally I feel this one is a load of rubbish.
    I'm not saying or implying that gay people are bad by the way, for those easily offended. Just saying that from a survivalistic evolutionary point of view they have no purpose; humans aren't designed to be gay and so we don't have genes that make us gay.
    I'm intrigued how your "down to identity" reasoning applies to animals. :chin: Penguins making lifestyle choices
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    On this topic..

why do a majority of gay men exhibit feminine characteristics.. is this because they must fit in with the "gay crowd" or is it a result of their upbringing... i.e. having mainly female friends..??
    because you only see stereotypes you choose to see?

I don't know any effeminate gay men. I don't know any gay men who are attracted to effeminate men. I do know that straight men find a gay man that acts in a feminine way much less threatening.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Not necessarily.

And I don't think they turn gay...

Although it is interesting what a six pack o' stella can encourage a "straight" guy to do... :D
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i believe that you are born gay, i think one theory could be that you are reincarnated into the wrong body. i'm not a religious person but think it will in time be explained scientifically.
    I think you're confusing gender dysphoria with homosexuality
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Thats a circular argument and you know it.
    No, you believe it to be circular.
  • Options
    Actually Ibex and I have both posted and we're both gay men.

(It was Ibex wasn't it?)

What about me???? :crying:

I wrote a mini-essay on page 3 ...
  • Options

Sorry, I assumed you were a Christian from your posts on other threads about religion. What religion are you?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, you believe it to be circular.

No, you're saying that I can't understand God because he's God. That is circular nonsense.
  • Options
    Blagsta: IMO I think the problem that folks like you and I have with the whole situation is that believers can't give us the answers that we would need to be accepting. Inherently religion constantly contradicts itself but anyone with their head screwed on can argue the hand of man is solely responsible for it. The Bible isn’t the word of God and is subject to exactly the constraints, perversion and misrepresentation any text has. The best religion IMHO is a personal one. There are plenty of sound principals that religion promotes which are unfortunately lost a lot of the time thorugh mass subscription. When you’re trying to get such a huge amount of people to subscribe to essentially the same views then it’s bound to fail. The Catholic faith is a prime example of this.
  • Options
    When you’re trying to get such a huge amount of people to subscribe to essentially the same views then it’s bound to fail. The Catholic faith is a prime example of this.

Which is exactly why The Church will always be just as human as those who run it, there will be greed and corruption.

That shouldnt cast a shaddow over actual religious teachings, which in many examples are very different.