Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    On some days. Atheist on others.
    I can sympathise with this.

Can you forsee anything that might change your viewpoint?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What if you found a map and reached X? Would that person have a "right sense of mind?".

well you've obviously only reached the state of mind where you think you've found X, the existence of a God has not been proven, therefore we don't know the location of X, we have the map, i.e. the Bible or Quoran or whatever, no one in this world knows where the treasure is, i'm waiting for proof the treasure is there, other have faith that it is...i don't look down on them...i'm just more logical than that...
  • Options
    I do understand your point, but what's the point of the map if you don't follow the directions to X? You say you like some Buddhist beliefs and some biblical beliefs, but if you are using two maps to seek X then you will never find it.

I've never been a particularly 'spiritual' person, and like you I rely on logic as proof of my beliefs. I do believe that the biblical message reveals a truth about God that no other religion can support or rival. This is why I believe that only one religion can be the absolute truth, and therefore not all maps will get you to X. People may pick on the bible, take passages out of context and twist the context to suit their own agenda, but in my study of it, I have never been able to find anything written there that doesn't fit together within the complete 'story'.
  • Options
    I bow to you sir.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I do understand your point, but what's the point of the map if you don't follow the directions to X? You say you like some Buddhist beliefs and some biblical beliefs, but if you are using two maps to seek X then you will never find it.

I've never been a particularly 'spiritual' person, and like you I rely on logic as proof of my beliefs. I do believe that the biblical message reveals a truth about God that no other religion can support or rival. This is why I believe that only one religion can be the absolute truth, and therefore not all maps will get you to X. People may pick on the bible, take passages out of context and twist the context to suit their own agenda, but in my study of it, I have never been able to find anything written there that doesn't fit together within the complete 'story'.

seriously...thats a very weird view to have...i believe there only is one map, with one X, just people have different ways of looking at it, X is the God, the map is the material or theory to how you relate to God, i don't believe there is a right or wrong religion, i like the teachings of the bible and the spiritual aspects of buddhism, i also like mc donalds and watching football, i don't base any faith in them...i have my own peculiar faith, i believe that as we come from stardust that we are and everything around us is God, yes all the particles we breathe and are made up of is God, we are our own Gods, the test isn't a moral one, it's being the best person you can be...thats the trial, and hopefull i'll find X
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I bow to you sir.

seriously you believe all non-christains won't go to heaven
  • Options
    Yes, and scarier than that, all non-christians will go to hell. And you have no idea how much that bothers me.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    hopefull i'll find X
    Why do you want to reach X?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yes, and scarier than that, all non-christians will go to hell. And you have no idea how much that bothers me.

sorry that is a sectarian comment...i don't think that should be tolerated on these boards
  • Options
    Milagro wrote:
    Thank you, it means miracle in spanish. :)

But why do you say it's totally unrelated?I thought we were analysing the factors that influence sexual orientation?I just offered a more spiritual perspective on the matter.

Yeah, I know. That's why I like it.

I meant that my comment about your username was unrelated, not the post itself :p
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    sorry that is a sectarian comment...i don't think that should be tolerated on these boards
    Well report it then. I fail to see how I've violated the rules.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Why do you want to reach X?

because i want to be rewarded for what i've done here...if i haven't done the best i could, i don't deserve X, i don't believe in hell as the alternative, i believe in nothingess..
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :eek:

To whom is it offensive?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    because i want to be rewarded for what i've done here...if i haven't done the best i could, i don't deserve X, i don't believe in hell as the alternative, i believe in nothingess..
    Do you think you could ever be "the best i could"?

I don't know what I think about hell. You shouldn't become a Christian because you are afraid of hell, I don't think.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Well report it then. I fail to see how I've violated the rules.

it's like saying i don't think blacks will go to heaven...you should respect other people's beliefs, i'm sure you've read a typically ambigious passage in the Bible that probably says non-believers will go to hell and have interpretated it wrongly...almost sure...why do you believe non-christains will go to hell anyway...why do you think christianity is the true religion, it truly astounds me
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    :eek:

To whom is it offensive?

non-christains who think they're going to hell now
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    it's like saying i don't think blacks will go to heaven...you should respect other people's beliefs
    If other people don't believe in hell, why is it offensive?
  • Options
    It's nothing like that at all, and it's hardly one passage. You somehow think I enjoy it? This is my family, my friends, the people I care most about in the WORLD I'm including. My neices and nephew whom I adore, WILL go to hell if they don't become christians. It's nothing like saying blacks won't go to heaven.

But I'm not a christian because of some 'fear of hell'.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

because you're saying your religion is better than theirs
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Non Christian doesn't equal atheism ;)

That said, being that I believe in another religion then my belief is that everyone is created in the picture of God, and therefore judged on their doings, not their religion.
    So even though you're not Christian, then you don't "miss out".
    The rest of us will just throw one mega party together :p
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's nothing like that at all, and it's hardly one passage. You somehow think I enjoy it? This is my family, my friends, the people I care most about in the WORLD I'm including. My neices and nephew whom I adore, WILL go to hell if they don't become christians. It's nothing like saying blacks won't go to heaven.

But I'm not a christian because of some 'fear of hell'.

really, does it really annoy you that much, my mum, dad, brother and sister are atheists, not my fault, nothin i can do but to be so condescending and arrogant as to believe they're going to hell just realy annoys me...if you believe you're going to heaven then fair play, to believe you know so much that you know were othe rpeople are going is just wrong, plain and simple, faith is faith, not fact, it's not, i repeat, not universal
  • Options
    Then stop arguing and report me.

Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

ETA: it doesn't annoy me, it scares me and distresses me.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Then stop arguing and report me.

Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

ETA: it doesn't annoy me, it scares me and distresses me.

stop arguing, you're quite clearly wrong, anyone can see that...

what does that quote mean, where does it say non-christains won't go to heaven there, it's says christains will, there's no mention of non-christains...
  • Options
    No, it means that for me, for everything I do, I try to do it for Christ, and if you try to get me banned, it means nothing to me. Go ahead. And, no, I'm not wrong, I've never me more right in my life about what the bible says. I'm not interested in discussing this. If you don't report me, I'll report you.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, it means that for me, for everything I do, I try to do it for Christ, and if you try to get me banned, it means nothing to me. Go ahead. And, no, I'm not wrong, I've never me more right in my life about what the bible says. I'm not interested in discussing this. If you don't report me, I'll report you.

5 instances of the word "me or "I" in that post in relation to religion, i rest my case...religion is not a universal fact, what can you report me for, you said you believe non-christains go to hell, i find that to be an offensive sectarian remark, there is no basis to that statement beside the a 2000 year old book, i might aswell read Mein Kampf and say all Jews should die...not true...you know it, report me if you want, i have no problems with that...
  • Options
    Would you really have any more reason to believe my post if I'd included every serious christian I know. We believe it. Not just me.

Done, btw.
  • Options
    Please calm down everyone, discussing religious beliefs doesn't mean people can attack each other. And religion is by its nature sectarian - they are codes of life by which you can choose to live your life. It's hardly controversial to say that a christian or muslim, or anyone of many hundreds of religions believe that those not a part of their faith will not be going to heaven, it's fundamental to the whole idea of religion.

Sorry, but religion isn't always going to be a pleasant subject, but discussing fundamental parts of any faith isn't going to be banned here.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Would you really have any more reason to believe my post if I'd included every serious christian I know. We believe it. Not just me.

ok what about the 5 billion non-christains in the world that don't believe it...they all go to hell...even the most hard working decent Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, i could go on...no wonder religion causes so many problems...i understand it's hard for you to have this view, i'm just saying it doesn't have ot be this way...you don't have to take the bible literally you know...look for the metaphors and parables and go from there
  • Options
    Well no one really has to believe anything about religion; but the choosing to believe is kinda the point, isn't it?
  • Options
    Even if I took it to be metaphor and alegory and any number of other literary tools except for the litteral truth, it wouldn't change what it says.

Christianity is not based on works. On of my favourite hymns says "the vilest offender who truely believes, that moment a pardon from Jesus recieves" I KNOW in the core that I am utter detritus, and that I am no better than anyone else, that I am no less deserving of hell, as do my christian family. Which is why it doesn't matter how "good" a jew, or buddhist or muslim is, they're never good enough, and neither am I, or anyone else. Ever. That is what the bible says.