Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm not a total relativist if thats what you're asking. I believe in empathy and respect like I said. Treat others as you would have them treat you. What do you mean by "what society thinks at the time is true"? Who in society? The dominant idealogy? Who?

You're avioding the question... So, if the majority believe a set of morals, are they correct? Does that make the minority wrong? And if it's not relative? What is it?
  • Options
    You replied to the scenario of an innocent person who didn't know of another religion. I'm talking about someone who is totally aware of other religions around them but chooses another religion because that's the one they learned is correct, through no fault of their own, not choosing to go against their parents religion because of parental influences.

It's so hard to get my point across. :|

It applies the same. It's the same for everyone.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It applies the same. It's the same for everyone.

Fair enough. By goodness how this debate has gone off topic!
  • Options
    Yeah, it has, but that's probably because most of the people baying for the blood of all you raving homosexualists call themselves christians.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yeah, it has, but that's probably because most of the people baying for the blood of all you raving homosexualists call themselves christians.

Maybe. I don't have a problem with Christians and I really respect you for standing up for what you believe in and standing by your points, but I still think it harsh that I'm supposedly going to hell.

What sort of a Christian are you? Because I know opinions very from each sub-religion (dunno what to call it), like for example the Quakers believe gay people should be able to marry and have equal rights don't they? I haven't looked into it but that's what they told us in school :yes:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, you're twisting what I'm saying, for innocence (as you put it) to be complete, you need to be right with God, and for that, you need to worship God.
    No you most certainly do not!
  • Options
    if you like aladdin.
  • Options
    Maybe. I don't have a problem with Christians and I really respect you for standing up for what you believe in and standing by your points, but I still think it harsh that I'm supposedly going to hell.

What sort of a Christian are you? Because I know opinions very from each sub-religion (dunno what to call it), like for example the Quakers believe gay people should be able to marry and have equal rights don't they? I haven't looked into it but that's what they told us in school :yes:

I'm not a type, really, I've just a christian that believes in the bible.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

The parts that accord with your prejudices?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

So you have your own beliefs and don't follow any actual set Catholic, Protestant, Quaker ect. views? Is it a mixture? Am just interested to see if you think any of these Christian views in your own religion are wrong.
  • Options
    The parts that accord with your prejudices?
    No, all of it. and what prejudices?

Chaos - in what sense?
  • Options
    shellfish?
  • Options
    What about shellfish?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, all of it. and what prejudices?

Chaos - in what sense?

As I said, Quakers believe that gay people aren't doing anything wrong and should have equal rights and be allowed to marry.

Catholics believe being gay is something that should be able to be cured through faith, and that gay sex is a sin.

Who is right? Surely if you believe Christianity is essentially the perfect and correct religion how can you be sure which differing views on certain subject matters are correct?
  • Options
    An eye for an eye or turning the other cheek?
  • Options
    Well both catholism and quakers (and in fact most if not all of the major organised branches of christianity) are getting things wrong. There's nothing in the bible about condoms or birth control (for example).
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    An eye for an eye or turning the other cheek?
    Christ overrules the OT.
  • Options
    No. Fact. I've met a number of people just like that. They exist. End of.
  • Options
    wtf are you talking about?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Well both catholism and quakers (and in fact most if not all of the major organised branches of christianity) are getting things wrong. There's nothing in the bible about condoms or birth control (for example).

So are you then saying that you're a Christian but you have your own, personal interperetation of the Bible? If some of the things they say are wrong then isn't it possible that maybe you have interpereted some things wrong? Sorry to be pedantic....guess I'm going off topic even more now :impissed:
  • Options
    So are you then saying that you're a Christian but you have your own, personal interperetation of the Bible? If some of the things they say are wrong then isn't it possible that maybe you have interpereted some things wrong? Sorry to be pedantic....guess I'm going off topic even more now :impissed:

No, I don't have my own personal interpretation of the bible.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You're avioding the question... So, if the majority believe a set of morals, are they correct? Does that make the minority wrong? And if it's not relative? What is it?

I'm not avoiding the question, I've answered it the best I can and asked you to be more specific. My moral code is based on the belief (or intuitive feeling if you like) that human beings are capable of empathy and love, we are capable of co-operation and we all have equal rights to life. Do I think that majority morals are right? Well no I don't, that should be obvious from my political stance. But you need to be more specific about what you mean - how is that majority moral code (idealogy) transmitted? Who has control over it? What do they stand to gain/lose? What power do they have? An understanding of hegemony is useful here and a basic knowledge of Gramsci's thoughts.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm not avoiding the question, I've answered it the best I can and asked you to be more specific. My moral code is based on the belief (or intuitive feeling if you like) that human beings are capable of empathy and love, we are capable of co-operation and we all have equal rights to life. Do I think that majority morals are right? Well no I don't, that should be obvious from my political stance. But you need to be more specific about what you mean - how is that majority moral code (idealogy) transmitted? Who has control over it? What do they stand to gain/lose? What power do they have? An understanding of hegemony is useful here and a basic knowledge of Gramsci's thoughts.

how is that majority moral code (idealogy) transmitted? Who has control over it?

Exactly what you need to answer
  • Options
    But you state that other Chrisitians are 'getting things wrong' thus that they have a differenmt personal interpretation that differs from yours, so you must have a personal interpretation by definition........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But you state that other Chrisitians are 'getting things wrong' thus that they have a differenmt personal interpretation that differs from yours, so you must have a personal interpretation by definition........

No, not by defination, in fact. There are things done by other "chrisitans" accordingt o religious dogma, that doesn't even come close to ANYTHING said the bible, so it can't be an interpretation.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, I don't have my own personal interpretation of the bible.

And the second question please? ;)
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    wtf are you talking about?
    Sorry, I'm not keeping up with the thread. I was referring to your earlier comments that appear to suggest that you "need" to worship God to be completely innocent:
    No, you're twisting what I'm saying, for innocence (as you put it) to be complete, you need to be right with God, and for that, you need to worship God.

And I was saying that is simply rubbish. You don't need to believe in God, let alone worship him, to be completely innocent, or good. I've met a number of people just like that. And frankly I find suggestions that only those who choose to adhere to certain religious beliefs can be truly good or innocent ludicrous, patronising, insulting and utterly absurd in equal measures.

From my experience it's actually the opposite. The more religious a person is, the more likely it is they will be intolerant and cruel. Not with everyone naturally, but with a great many.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, not by defination, in fact. There are things done by other "chrisitans" accordingt o religious dogma, that doesn't even come close to ANYTHING said the bible, so it can't be an interpretation.

So they just aren't Christians then?

So Catholics who follow the Popes stance on contraception etc simply are not Chritians because therre can only be one correct interpretation and they have it wrong?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Aladdin, I know you've grown up with a warped view of christianity, and quite frankly violently incomplete. And those born outside the sphere of influence (if you like) is where I come in, where christians come in, we're supposed to make sure the everyone knows, that everyone has the oppurtunity.
    Shallow Be Thy Game
  • Options
    And the second question please? ;)

yes, it is entirely possible, I am after all only human, as are the people that teach me. I try very hard to match up the things I learn to the core value, so hopefully, I can't go far wrong, if I do those first.

Matthew 22:34-40
    34 But the Pharisees, hearing how the mouths of the Sadducees had been stopped, came together; 35 And one of them, a teacher of the law, put a question to him, testing him, and saying, 36 Master, which is the chief rule in the law? 37 And he said to him, Have love for the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and greatest rule. 39 And a second like it is this, Have love for your neighbour as for yourself. 40 On these two rules all the law and the prophets are based

If I love my neighbour, as I love myself, and love God with all I have, before I do anything else. I shouldn't stray too far.