Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    how is that majority moral code (idealogy) transmitted? Who has control over it?

Exactly what you need to answer

No, I'm asking you what you mean by your question. Do I think that our societies morals (based on Judeo-Christian ideals btw) are good and "true"? Well no. I don't think that rewarding greed and competitiveness is good, I don't think that the media representations of sexuality and women are a good thing, I don't think that a society which values possessions over people and relationships is a good thing. I don't however need to believe in sky pixies to come to the conclusion that human relationships are more important than things - my experience leads me to that conclusion.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    So they just aren't Christians then?

So Catholics who follow the Popes stance on contraception etc simply are not Chritians because therre can only be one correct interpretation and they have it wrong?

I didn't say that. At all, I have said, the only standard is to believe christ has died to save you. You don't have to do anything else.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, I'm asking you what you mean by your question. Do I think that our societies morals (based on Judeo-Christian ideals btw) are good and "true"? Well no. I don't think that rewarding greed and competitiveness is good, I don't think that the media representations of sexuality and women are a good thing, I don't think that a society which values possessions over people and relationships is a good thing. I don't however need to believe in sky pixies to come to the conclusion that human relationships are more important than things - my experience leads me to that conclusion.

You really need to answer the questions, and stop argueing semantics and side-steping the issue. You would be foaming at the mouth if anyone buggered about like this with you.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    From my experience it's actually the opposite. The more religious a person is, the more likely it is they will be intolerant and cruel. Not with everyone naturally, but with a great many.

Well I'm hoping to change your experience.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You really need to answer the questions, and stop argueing semantics and side-steping the issue. You would be foaming at the mouth if anyone buggered about like this with you.

I've answered your question within the narrow frame that you asked it. Maybe you need to think about what you actually mean by it?
  • Options
    You haven't at all. And the frame was really broad.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You haven't at all. And the frame was really broad.

I have answered your question. Unfortunatly your question brings up so many other issues about what you mean by morals, about power, how idealogy works etc that maybe you need to think about these things?
    I've told you where I get my sense of right and wrong from. What more do you want?
  • Options
    Is your sense of right and wrong correct?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Is your sense of right and wrong correct?

I think it is, yes. I'm always open to learning and growing from my experiences however.
  • Options
    fiend 85

Straying back near the original thread topic, the problem that I have with religious people (not specifically Christians) is this:

You're talking about living a moral life, and making the right decisions and so on. That's up to you - if that's what you want to do, then do it. But what makes you think that other people should abide by their moral code? What right have you to suggest that they should? Why should your Christian definition of marriage, to revisit an example discussed (although not to conclusion) a few pages back, override other people's?

You go off and live your Christian life by all means, but when you start judging other people on the basis of your beliefs, you cannot be surprised when people start answering back and you cannot object to their doing so. Your principles are no more above criticism than anyone else's. That, I feel, is a lesson that a great many religious folk have yet to learn.
  • Options
    Is everyone's sense of right and wrong correct?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Well I'm hoping to change your experience.
    I'm not saying everyone is like that Fiend, and you come across to me as well-meaning. All I'm saying is that being a fervent believer does not necessarily make a person better- sometimes the opposite is true- and that it is perfectly possible for a non-believer to be every bit as good and 'innocent' as a believer.
  • Options

For themselves, yes.

About christians. the teaching specifically states that you cannot stand by and do nothing. Hence the torturing of people for centuries to "save their souls" because that was he improtant bit, the flesh being seen as temporary and wastable. :rolleyes:

It's one of the most aggressive memes there is, tbh.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm not saying everyone is like that Fiend, and you come across to me as well-meaning. All I'm saying is that being a fervent believer does not necessarily make a person better- sometimes the opposite is true- and that it is perfectly possible for a non-believer to be every bit as good and 'innocent' as a believer.
    To society, yes, to God, no.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

I think that every human being has the potential to be capable of empathy and love.
  • Options
    That's not answering the question.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    To society, yes, to God, no.
    Then God is imperfect.
  • Options
    No, society is imperfect.
  • Options
    Not really. Altruism is a real, in fact Christian, quality that has nothing to do with society. If God determines that a person who does idolatrise him is better than one who does not, even if the two people are identical in their innocence and good deeds, then God clearly is not altruistic at all but an obsessed egomaniac.

I. e. imperfect.
  • Options
    Idolising God is a contradiction in terms. And you are not innocent unless God is given the glory deserved.
  • Options
    'Worshipping' then- which amounts to a similar thing.

Anyway, according to whom you're not 'completely innocent unless God is given the glory he deserves'? That's just an opinion. But if it is possible to be 'completely innocent' at all, then it is every bit as possible to be so without worshipping anyone.
  • Options
    No, worship is not the same as idolatry.

And it is not possible to be completely innocent without worshiping God
  • Options
    May I ask why?
  • Options
    Because you will have broken the first commandment. And therefore aren't guiltless.
  • Options
    Well yes, if you're going to use a literal interpretation of the Bible...
  • Options
    What? Seriously. What?
  • Options
    Leviticus 11:9-12 states that all salt- and fresh-water fish may be eaten as long as they have "fins and scales." However, all shellfish, squid, frogs, octopi, etc. are identified as unclean for human consumption. Regarding birds, Leviticus 11:13-20 lists types of birds which are unclean for human consumption. Besides identifying birds of prey and carrion eaters as unclean, the Bible lists cormorants, swans, pelicans, storks, herons and bats as unclean to eat. [Bats "flying things" in the Bible's classification system.] Such birds as chickens, turkeys, pheasants, etc. are not on the "unclean" list, and are therefore "clean" meats. Surprisingly, verses 21-22 list locusts and grasshoppers as being "clean" meats, but all other insects are listed as unclean.

In Leviticus 11:43-47, God concludes his instructions on meats with these words:

"You shall not make yourselves abominable with any creeping thing...neither shall you make yourselves unclean with them that you should be defiled thereby. For I am the Lord your God: you shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and you shall be holy...you shall therefore be holy, for I am holy. This is the law of the beasts...to make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten." (Emphasis added.)
    God regarded humans to be "defiled" or "unclean" if they ate the flesh of "unclean" animals. He expected the Israelites to refrain from unclean meats to maintain a state of "holiness" in his sight. As noted earlier, the early New Testament church obeyed God's instructions in Leviticus 11. The Apostle Peter recoiled at the thought of eating unclean meats (Acts 10:14), and the Apostle Paul wrote that animal flesh had to be sanctified in "the word of God" (Old Testament scriptures) before it could be eaten. Consider also Paul's instructions in II Corinthians 6:16-18. After commenting on the importance of being separate from the sinfulness of the world in verses 14-16, Paul writes (in the KJV):

"...for you are the Temple of the living God; as God hath said, 'I will dwell in them and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people, Wherefore come out from among them, and be you separate,' saith the Lord, 'and touch not the unclean thing: and I will receive you, and will be a father to you and you shall be my sons and daughters.'" (Emphasis added.)
    Interesting! While writing to a congregation in a Gentile community, Paul quotes God's (Old Testament) instructions to "touch not the unclean thing" as part of a commentary on maintaining Christian holiness. In citing the scriptures of the Hebrew Bible, Paul was likely referring to forbidden meats as "unclean things," especially since his fellow Apostle, Peter, specifically used the word "unclean" to describe forbidden meats (Acts 10:14). Even as the Israelites were forbidden to eat unclean meats as part of their "holiness" obligation toward God, Paul told early Christians to also avoid "unclean things" as part of their "holiness" obligation toward God. In other words, Paul was telling Corinthian Christians they would be defiling their bodies ("the temple of the living God") if they "touched unclean things."

The above passage indicates that even Paul, the "apostle to the Gentiles," affirmed that the animal meat restrictions of the Old Testament were binding on New Testament Christians. Somehow, this fact has been overlooked by virtually all of modern Christendom.

http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/peruncln2.html

I may be wrong and I certainly have no problem with anybody's religious beliefs which don't affect me personally, but, I wonder if you've ever dropped a prior self-realised belief because of your christianity. Not many do, their religion tends to blend seamlessly into their own worldview (prejudices). :angel:
  • Options
    If you're going to use the Bible as a guide of who is innocent and what is innocence, then there hasn't been a single person in the history of mankind who was 'innocent'. Not one.

And come to think of it, if you're suggesting that those who break any of the Commandments will be sent to Hell (as you appeared to do earlier when you said you believe those who did not worship God would end up there), the current population of Heaven would be a whole number between 1 and -1.

How wicked of mankind eh?
  • Options
    Acts 10:9-22

Specifically Vs 15 'The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

Matt 15:1-20

Specifically Vs 16-18 '"Are you still so dull?" Jesus asked them. "Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? but the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean'"'

1 Corinthians 8:1-11:1

Specifically Ch 10 Vs 25-26 'Eat anything sold in the meat amrket without raising questions of conscience, for "the earth is the Lord's and eveyrthing in it"'

Ok, so don't try the shellfish arguement on me. For the record, I don't like it much, so don't eat it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If you're going to use the Bible as a guide of who is innocent and what is innocence, then there hasn't been a single person in the history of mankind who was 'innocent'. Not one.

Actually there has, Christ.
    Aladdin wrote:
    And come to think of it, if you're suggesting that those who break any of the Commandments will be sent to Hell (as you appeared to do earlier when you said you believe those who did not worship God would end up there), the current population of Heaven would be a whole number between 1 and -1.

How wicked of mankind eh?

Well, it would be, if it weren't for the fact that christ was innocent and took a punishment undeserved so that those who believe can go to heaven.

Some complete education you got there.