Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    brian4830 wrote:
    The full paper is available. It is a perfect example of a preliminary study - the sample size and methodology don't allow any conclusions to be drawn, but they do say "there is something interesting here, that we could do with doing a full size study on'

Of course, whether the response is a cause or effect of homosexual behaviour is an entirely different question.
  • Options
    My sense of what is right and wrong is fluid. It's always changing and altering. I accept and embrace the uncertainty of it. Taking my moralist cue from 2000 year old text seems like the easy way out. It requires less examination of yourself.

Word.
  • Options
    not at all in fact.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Still no answer?

Still no intelligent question?
  • Options
    Heaven forbid that a debate require you to think.
  • Options
    A debate? It's like a playground hissy fit lol
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    So you say your sense of right and wrong is fluid? So when have you got it correct? If you accept it to be uncertain, who's morality is certain? And most importantly. Is everyone's sense of right and wrong correct?

And just to make things clear, it does not matter what I think here, I'm asking the questions they give no real indication of my opinion.

What do you mean by morality? Whose morality? As I've said - a sense of right and wrong comes from empathy, not some 2000 year old book. Can right and wrong ever be absolute? We generally agree stealing is wrong, yeah? So is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your family? We generally agree killing another human being is wrong yeah? Would you have agreed with killing Hitler?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I bow to you madam.

Really though, this line of debate, if you're remotely interested, requires the question be answered. And as uncomfortable as it may make you it really is as simple as either everyone's personal sense of morality is correct, or everyone's is not, that there are some (maybe all) who's morality is incorrect, flawed, in error, wrong etc.

I've answered it. If you don't like the answer, tough.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Heaven forbid that a debate require you to think.

On the contrary, its you that isn't thinking. I've provided you with my answer. If you don't like it or can't understand it, then tough shit really.
  • Options
    Ohhh fight....

Getcha popcorn!
  • Options
    Ohhh fight....

Getcha popcorn!

Well I'm sorry, but if Fiend asks a question then doesn't like the answer, what can I do?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    patronising bollocks.

I can see your command of the English language does not allow you to extend beyond those two words.Tres ennuiyant.

But not to worry, from now on your posts will be kindly(& deservedly) ignored.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well I'm sorry, but if Fiend asks a question then doesn't like the answer, what can I do?
    You haven't answered the question, you've fluffed around it. Quite frankly until you do I can't be arsed.

ETA:Just as aditional thought, if there is no absolute moral, then all morals are relative, no?
  • Options
    I tried posting this the other day, but the whole system went down just as I was about to post...
    Either way, Jesus says that he is not here for the righteous, but for the sinners (paraphrased as I only know the correct sentence in Danish). The sinners here being the taxmen, prostitutes and other outcasts.
    When excluding other people from hell, don't you denounce the message of Jesus?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You haven't answered the question, you've fluffed around it. Quite frankly until you do I can't be arsed.

ETA:Just as aditional thought, if there is no absolute moral, then all morals are relative, no?

I've fucking answered it you moron.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I tried posting this the other day, but the whole system went down just as I was about to post...
    Either way, Jesus says that he is not here for the righteous, but for the sinners (paraphrased as I only know the correct sentence in Danish). The sinners here being the taxmen, prostitutes and other outcasts.
    When excluding other people from hell, don't you denounce the message of Jesus?
    not at all.
  • Options
    Care to elaborate?
  • Options
    Not really. You're being deliberatly obstructive. And even you know that.
  • Options
    you're all fucking mental :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Not really. You're being deliberatly obstructive. And even you know that.

No I am not. I am interested in this, and have a problem accepting the disapproval against other beliefs and faiths - therfore wanting to explore the justification of this further.

Again, care to elaborate?
  • Options
    whats so big about religion anyway that someone can hold such strong views about..baffles me completely
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    No I am not. I am interested in this, and have a problem accepting the disapproval against other beliefs and faiths - therfore wanting to explore the justification of this further.

Again, care to elaborate?

So, just to clarify, your point is that because Jesus came to save, to suggest that people who don't believe that He did are going to hell is counter to His teaching?

Ok, have a look at Matt 11:20-24 on unrepentant cities. Matt 18:7-9 on the importance of repentance and the consquences, Luke 12:8-10 on acknoledging the Son of Man, Luke 13:1-9 on repentance and second chances, John 3:16-18 that is one of the more famous passages. All except for that last one is stuff that was taught by Christ Himself, not that it matters to me, I take the whole bible as equal, but just so no-one can say that it was the teaching of Paul, of Peter, or of John that I've got it from.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    whats so big about religion anyway that someone can hold such strong views about..baffles me completely

Yep, me too. It strikes me that Fiend is looking for moral certainy where there isn't any. No, I don't think its all relative (as I've already said and you'd know that if you'd been reading my posts properly Fiend), but I don't think morals are absolute either. In fact, "moral" is such a loaded term, implying all sorts of judgements and proscriptions that I don't think it is actually a very useful term. I prefer to thibk of my ethics - which are based on the fact that all human beings have the potential for empathy (as I have already said), although this has to be nurtured, a belief in the autonomony and personal responsibility of humans (although this also has to be nurtured) and a belief in the co-operative nature of human relationships. Now obviously this all gets rather complicated when you take into account the nature of power, hegemony and idealogy, but I do believe, given the right circumstances, people can make their own decisions about what is right or wrong and don't need to rely on some external father figure to make them behave. i don't think that right and wrong is fixed either - see my earlier example about stealing - but I do think people are capable of deciding things for themselves given equal access to information and equal power.

Does that answer your question Fiend? Because if it doesn't, there's nothing else I can do.
  • Options
    How can something not be relative, and not be absolute? That makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    How can something not be relative, and not be absolute? That makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.

Things aren't just this or that. Human behaviour is messy and contradictory. You seem to see the world in a very black and white way. You seem to want certainty where there isn't any. Its OK not to know y'know.

BTW how about actually engaging with my post?
  • Options
    Actually they are just this or that. It is either relative or absolute. Either something is subjective or it is objective, it cannot be neither, and it cannot be both. BY DEFINITION.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Actually they are just this or that. It is either relative or absolute. Either something is subjective or it is objective, it cannot be neither, and it cannot be both. BY DEFINITION.

:banghead:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    So, just to clarify, your point is that because Jesus came to save, to suggest that people who don't believe that He did are going to hell is counter to His teaching?

Ok, have a look at Matt 11:20-24 on unrepentant cities. Matt 18:7-9 on the importance of repentance and the consquences, Luke 12:8-10 on acknoledging the Son of Man, Luke 13:1-9 on repentance and second chances, John 3:16-18 that is one of the more famous passages. All except for that last one is stuff that was taught by Christ Himself, not that it matters to me, I take the whole bible as equal, but just so no-one can say that it was the teaching of Paul, of Peter, or of John that I've got it from.

Know an online New Testament?
    And my point was more, that Jesus according to the New Testament embraced everyone, while sending people to hell for not believing is not a message which I would say would fit his charcteristica.
  • Options
    Look - the absolutes I believe in are what I've said I base my ethics on...
    the fact that all human beings have the potential for empathy (as I have already said), although this has to be nurtured, a belief in the autonomony and personal responsibility of humans (although this also has to be nurtured) and a belief in the co-operative nature of human relationships.
    ...now within that framework, things are relative, depending on the situation (see my stealing example) and people are quite capable of deciding these things for themselves without relying on a father figure.

Geddit?
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Know an online New Testament?
    And my point was more, that Jesus according to the New Testament embraced everyone, while sending people to hell for not believing is not a message which I would say would fit his charcteristica.

http://bible.crosswalk.com/ I recommend King James, New King Jame, American Standard and New American Standard translations, New Century Version will do you fine as well.

Just to be clear, they're all fine, just a personal preference of mine.