Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    BTW I haven't said anything about having "absolute" morals - I have said that ethical actions come from those things - a subtle but very important difference.

blagsta wrote:
    The basis of my ethics are what I hold as absolutes
    blagsta wrote:
    For fucks sake. No, HUMAN BEINGS ARE THE ABSOLUTE.

rly.
  • Options
    I haven't said that "Love, compassion, empathy" are "morally correct".

I have wished you happy birthday, if you were to ask my advice on things or to post some bad news etc, I would show you compassion. If you were ever in Brixton I'd be more than happy to buy you a pint and have a chat etc. But this is a message board y'know?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    rly.

No I haven't. I have said that these things ARE THE BASIS for ethical/moral behaviours, not that they are "morally correct".
  • Options
    You're avioding the question again (how surprising)

What makes love, compassion empathy etc morally correct? Every human is equally as capable of anger, rage, malice, slander, sloth, gluttony, greed, jealousy, violence and hatred.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You're avioding the question again (how surprising)

No I'm not. You just seem to have trouble seeing the subtle difference between these things. Not that surprising.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    What makes love, compassion empathy etc morally correct? Every human is equally as capable of anger, rage, malice, slander, sloth, gluttony, greed, jealousy, violence and hatred.

Yes, they are. So?

[edited to add]
    Those things you mentioned do not lead to happiness, fulfilment, growth, good relationships etc. Not that hard to work out surely? :confused:
  • Options
    You haven't answered the question AGAIN. What makes love, compassion empathy etc morally correct? Every human is equally as capable of anger, rage, malice, slander, sloth, gluttony, greed, jealousy, violence and hatred.

ETA: What makes you so sure that these things don't make some people happy?
  • Options
    See my edit. And its not about "correct", stop being so black and white about things.
  • Options
    Stop being so airy about things, read my edit, and answer the question.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    ETA: What makes you so sure that these things don't make some people happy?

Experience.
  • Options
    You experienced everything in the world as everyone in the world experiences it? What makes your experience better than anyone elses? And IF love compassion empathy are so great, why are they shown so rarely in favour of all the other things I've mentioned?
  • Options
    Doesn't your experience tell you that love is better than hate?
  • Options
    So even if it did, why aren't love compassion empathy are so great, why are they shown so rarely in favour of all the other things I've mentioned?

You personally have shown rage, malice and hatred against me rather than love, compassion and empathy, why? Cos I've got a good guess.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    So even if it did, why aren't love compassion empathy are so great, why are they shown so rarely in favour of all the other things I've mentioned?

Now this is the crux of the matter. Because people are complex emotional beings. Because our society is fucked up and values things over relationships.
    But my experience is that people do show love, empathy and compassion if given the chance.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You personally have shown rage, malice and hatred against me rather than love, compassion and empathy, why? Cos I've got a good guess.

No I've shown you frustration with your seeming wilful misunderstanding of my posts and your inability to think clearly.
  • Options
    Now - do you think that someone starving is better than them stealing?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    But my experience is that people do show love, empathy and compassion if given the chance.

They don't and you are a prime example.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Now - do you think that someone starving is better than them stealing?
    Have they not thought of asking for it? You're thinking in black & white, why is that ok for you and not for me?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    They don't and you are a prime example.

My experience tells me that they do. And excuse me, but you don't fucking know me, so stop passing judgements on me.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Have they not thought of asking for it? You're thinking in black & white, why is that ok for you and not for me?

Now who's avoiding the question? But lets assume they have and been refused. Is starving better than stealing?
  • Options
    You say it was frustration, I say hatred, who's right? Why are you right because it was you who thought it rather than me because I felt it?

My experience says otherwise about humanity, why are you more right than me?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Now who's avoiding the question? But lets assume they have and been refused. Is starving better than stealing?
    In an eternal perspective yes. If me stealing meant I was going to hell, and me starving that I was going to heaven. I'd know which I'd pick. I also know I wouldn't judge someone for picking differently. Why are you allowed to think in black and white, and me not?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You say it was frustration, I say hatred, who's right? Why are you right because it was you who thought it rather than me because I felt it?

I'm right from my point of view. I certainly don't hate you, why would I? :confused: I don't know you. You're right from your pov because thats how you experienced it, but its not how it was meant. That says something about you don't you think?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    My experience says otherwise about humanity, why are you more right than me?

I'm not. Thats the point.
  • Options
    So, homophobics are right then? From their POV. Slave-owners? Rapists? Muderers? It's ok because they're right from their perspective?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    In an eternal perspective yes.

What does this mean? :confused:
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    If me stealing meant I was going to hell, and me starving that I was going to heaven. I'd know which I'd pick. I also know I wouldn't judge someone for picking differently. Why are you allowed to think in black and white, and me not?

So you think someone should starve to death because they'll get their reward in heaven? :eek: That's fucked up. :(
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    So, homophobics are right then? From their POV. Slave-owners? Rapists? Muderers? It's ok because they're right from their perspective?

What the fuck? :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What does this mean? :confused:

So you think someone should starve to death because they'll get their reward in heaven? :eek: That's fucked up. :(
    No, I think I would rather starve to death. I specifically said that I didn't expect anyone else to make the same choice.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, I think I would rather starve to death. I specifically said that I didn't expect anyone else to make the same choice.

Thats still really fucked up. :( You value your life so little? :eek:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What the fuck? :confused:
    Have I lost you? If you and I are both right about they way you react towards me, and if you an I are both right about humanity, because it's our own point of view. Everyone is always right because it's their own POV, ie homophobics, racists, murderers, rapists etc.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Thats still really fucked up. :( You value your life so little? :eek:
    This one, yes, it doesn't matter to me at all.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Have I lost you? If you and I are both right about they way you react towards me, and if you an I are both right about humanity, because it's our own point of view. Everyone is always right because it's their own POV, ie homophobics, racists, murderers, rapists etc.

Sorry, that doesn't follow. They might think they're right, but I (and the majority of other people) don't.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    This one, yes, it doesn't matter to me at all.

I find that really sad. :(