Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Sorry, that doesn't follow. They might think they're right, but I (and the majority of other people) don't.
    What makes you and the majority more right? What gives you the right to infringe on someone's point of view, are you better?

You may find it really sad, but that's what I live my life for now, it's not like I'm not doing anything, and not having any fun, and fortunatly, nothing requires me to starve to death to avoid sin.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    What makes you and the majority more right? What gives you the right to infringe on someone's point of view, are you better?

Because their actions cause misery and suffering to other people. Not that hard to work out surely?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You may find it really sad, but that's what I live my life for now, it's not like I'm not doing anything, and not having any fun, and fortunatly, nothing requires me to starve to death to avoid sin.

I find it extremely sad that your life matters so little to you. Its all you have.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Because their actions cause misery and suffering to other people. Not that hard to work out surely?

So? Why is that wrong?
    Blagsta wrote:
    I find it extremely sad that your life matters so little to you. Its all you have.

It's not all I have.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    So? Why is that wrong?

Are you being serious? :eek:
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's not all I have.

It is. There is no afterlife. Its a myth.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Are you being serious? :eek:

Yes, dare you to answer.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yes, dare you to answer.

Because hurting people is wrong. How do I know that? Because I can empathise.
  • Options
    Ok, you think that hurting people is wrong. So someone else doesn't. Why are they wrong? Why are you right?
  • Options
    I've explained this, you're just being pathetic now. Good night.
  • Options
    G'night, sleep well. You haven't explained it, and I'm not being pathetic I'm challenging the way you think.
  • Options
    Blagsta

After reading your interchange, I think we can all decide for ourselves who really believes that humans are capable of "love, compassion, and empathy".

For someone who bases his entire morality on these human emotions, you perhaps need to start being less amoral, Blagsta. I found some of those posts offensive and that was just me reading as an observer. Perhaps you owe Fiend an apology?

As for the stealing a loaf of bread to prevent starvation, I think Jesus would probably have more to say to the person who condemned the thief than with the thief himself. Read John 8 sometime.

Also, can a bible-believing Christian not believe exactly what you believe within the basis of Christ's teaching in its biblical context anyway? What makes your beliefs special?
  • Options
    I bow to you sir
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    After reading your interchange, I think we can all decide for ourselves who really believes that humans are capable of "love, compassion, and empathy".

For someone who bases his entire morality on these human emotions, you perhaps need to start being less amoral, Blagsta. I found some of those posts offensive and that was just me reading as an observer. Perhaps you owe Fiend an apology?

As for the stealing a loaf of bread to prevent starvation, I think Jesus would probably have more to say to the person who condemned the thief than with the thief himself. Read John 8 sometime.

Also, can a bible-believing Christian not believe exactly what you believe within the basis of Christ's teaching in its biblical context anyway? What makes your beliefs special?

Well said...

It's funny how people get banned for making homophobic comments and get in trouble for calling working class people 'scum', but people can bitch all day about Christianity and slag off people who follow the religion like it's the new black.
  • Options
    I think everyone needs to remember to take a step back when dealing with issues that are fundamental to people's beliefs. There is definately no way that questioning religion is going to be treated the same way as judging someone on the colour the colour of their skin, or their sexuality; that said however, beliving in a religion isn't an open invite for people to be personally insulting.

Even if someone can't comprehend the idea of beliving in a god, it doesn't allow them to make personal attacks, and that won't be permitted. It is however maybe the oldest topic of discussion that has ever exsisted so it's always going to be heated.

So maybe, whatever side of the arguement everyone is on, people need to remember that this is about discussion, and that can mean difficult questions that challenge everything to do with faith. But ulimately, when talking about this I agree that certain people should start putting into place the empathy they rate so highly.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    I think everyone needs to remember to take a step back when dealing with issues that are fundamental to people's beliefs. There is definately no way that questioning religion is going to be treated the same way as judging someone on the colour the colour of their skin, or their sexuality; that said however, beliving in a religion isn't an open invite for people to be personally insulting.
    Either way it's still intolerence to the freedoms people are allowed to have with the human rights act. Attacking somebody for their sexuality is no less moral than for their religion... At the end of the day it could hurt the person and religion can be just as personal as who you love.
  • Options
    Absolutely, which is why attacking them for their religion is wrong. But not questioning religion because someone believes in it? This whole thread is a discussion of homosexuality, that's still going to be allowed even though homophobic posts are banned.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It is. There is no afterlife. Its a myth.

You gonna give some evidence for that, or not?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    G'night, sleep well. You haven't explained it, and I'm not being pathetic I'm challenging the way you think.

LOL! :D You're not challenging the way I think at all! All you're doing is being ultra simplistic and looking for certainty in an uncertain world. You seem to be so stuck in your certainty that morality is external to human beings that when challenged you just can't get your head around it and resort to repeating the same question over and over and over and over again.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Sorry, what do I owe an apology for? :confused: All I've done is get a little frustrated at Fiend's inability to follow a discussion and accept a world view that is in direct opposition to hers. In fact I actually find her views quite offensive and dehumanising - the idea that human beings need some kind of father figure to behave themselves is infantilising nonsense. Her need to have 100% certainty, to see things as purely RIGHT or WRONG is quite bizarre. Life is messy and uncertain and to want definitive answers is quite childish IMO.
  • Options
    Well said...

It's funny how people get banned for making homophobic comments and get in trouble for calling working class people 'scum', but people can bitch all day about Christianity and slag off people who follow the religion like it's the new black.

Eh? :confused: I'm not slagging off Christianity. I'm having a go at Fiend's inability to think outside of her narrow view of moral certainty.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:

Even if someone can't comprehend the idea of beliving in a god, it doesn't allow them to make personal attacks, and that won't be permitted. It is however maybe the oldest topic of discussion that has ever exsisted so it's always going to be heated.

So maybe, whatever side of the arguement everyone is on, people need to remember that this is about discussion, and that can mean difficult questions that challenge everything to do with faith. But ulimately, when talking about this I agree that certain people should start putting into place the empathy they rate so highly.

The only personal attacks I've made have been when I've already answered Fiend's questions at least twice, but she insists on saying I haven't. Its quite obvious that Fiend has a real problem with anyone who challenges her fundamental belief system and refuses to actually read and engage with what I'm saying, instead she accuses me of avoiding the question, when in reality I have answered in several times.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You gonna give some evidence for that, or not?

Well there's no evidence for the afterlife is there?
  • Options
    Either way it's still intolerence to the freedoms people are allowed to have with the human rights act. Attacking somebody for their sexuality is no less moral than for their religion... At the end of the day it could hurt the person and religion can be just as personal as who you love.

Who has attacked who for their religion? :confused:
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Absolutely, which is why attacking them for their religion is wrong. But not questioning religion because someone believes in it? This whole thread is a discussion of homosexuality, that's still going to be allowed even though homophobic posts are banned.

Thats what I've been doing - questioning religion. Yes, I got a little heated, due to being frustrated at Fiend's stubborn inability actually read my posts properly for which I apologise. But it seems to be that certain people on here have a real difficulty when someone questions the fundamental basis of their belief, it seems to cause some kind of cognitive dissonance, which results in them not actually being able to properly read, think and follow a thread.
  • Options
    Well there's no evidence for the afterlife is there?

The exact same evidence as you put forward for their being a state, mate. :yes:

"It's there because people believe it is!!!!"
    Thats what I've been doing - questioning religion. Yes, I got a little heated, due to being frustrated at Fiend's stubborn inability actually read my posts properly for which I apologise. But it seems to be that certain people on here have a real difficulty when someone questions the fundamental basis of their belief, it seems to cause some kind of cognitive dissonance, which results in them not actually being able to properly read, think and follow a thread.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rich in irony my diet is.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    The exact same evidence as you put forward for their being a state, mate. :yes:

"It's there because people believe it is!!!!"

Errr....no, its quite different. The state has power over people, power to throw people in jail, power to bomb Iraq etc.
    klintock wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rich in irony my diet is.

Rich in idiocy.
  • Options
    Errr....no, its quite different. The state has power over people, power to throw people in jail, power to bomb Iraq etc.

Really? I thought it was people who think the state is there who do those things, based on their unquantifiable belief that it exists. You are saying that god and the afterlife exist if the "church" has those powers then?

All I see is individuals acting on a mistaken belief. What do you see? Are there beams of light going from "state" person to person? Is it some sort of microwave? Or are you just wrong, and frankly, a bit dim?

Perhaps I am wrong, when you sign a piece of paper with what you think is your name you might get some extra dna that gives you some sort of telepathic powers and link you to other humans, but nahhhhh.
    Rich in idiocy.

Well, your the one feeding me, you should know.....
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Really? I thought it was people who think the state is there who do those things, based on their unquantifiable belief that it exists. You are saying that god and the afterlife exist if the "church" has those powers then?

All I see is individuals acting on a mistaken belief. What do you see? Are there beams of light going from "state" person to person? Is it some sort of microwave? Or are you just wrong, and frankly, a bit dim?

Perhaps I am wrong, when you sign a piece of paper with what you think is your name you might get some extra dna that gives you some sort of telepathic powers and link you to other humans, but nahhhhh.

Well, your the one feeding me, you should know.....

I'm not getting into this debate with you again. The state exists as a power structure. Get over it.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Sorry, what do I owe an apology for? :confused: All I've done is get a little frustrated at Fiend's inability to follow a discussion and accept a world view that is in direct opposition to hers.
    If that's you frustrated then I wouldn't like to see you being unnecessarily aggressive.
    In fact I actually find her views quite offensive and dehumanising - the idea that human beings need some kind of father figure to behave themselves is infantilising nonsense.
    How are her opinions "offensive"? Your use of expletives does not support your argument, merely weakens it and makes you appear defensive. If you have a firmly held belief, expect to answer for it.
    Her need to have 100% certainty, to see things as purely RIGHT or WRONG is quite bizarre. Life is messy and uncertain and to want definitive answers is quite childish IMO.
    I think you've been reading a different thread. You're just making stuff up now.
  • Options
    Personally I feel if people wanna discuss religion then go and start a bloody thread about it.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Personally I feel if people wanna discuss religion then go and start a bloody thread about it.
    :confused: