Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now, please don't shoot me down. I am sincerely not trying to put anyone down, so I apologise in advance if my words will offend. It's not the intention.

Now, while revising (or rather learning for the first time) for the oh so exciting subject of geography my mind started wandering and I thought about why gays are gays?
I have been of the belief that there must be some sort of trauma or the like to expose it. Others say that it's just as random as what color hair you get born with. And hell, the Greek philosophers saw it as the most noble way of living (only men though).
Now, I got thinking, what does modern psychology tie it down to, today? Freud would probably say something along the lines of a childhood neurosis, which in some ways would probably match along great with my own theory. Just that he declares almost everything to be a result of a neurosis.

Any takes on this?

Comments

• Options
    possibly genetic
  • Options
    I read an article it is inherited from a persons mother because...i forgot the rest. No one believes torygraph propaganda anyway.
  • Options
    i just reckon some people are born gay, simple as...they say there is a gay gene, how can your parents have the gay gene aswell unless it's only passed down every X number of generations or something....
  • Options
    If anyone has any hard scientific evidence that categorically proves being gay is genetic and not psychological, I'd like to see it.
  • Options
    There isn't any proof yet that sexuality is genetic. I suspect it's like many other things and partly genetic, partly environmental.
  • Options
    I think it is both nature AND nurture-things that happen to you in life shape ypour desires etc. i reckon there are alot of people out there who are homosexual or bisexual but don't even admit it to themselves because of the issues sociaety has with it.
  • Options
    If anyone has any hard scientific evidence that categorically proves being gay is genetic and not psychological, I'd like to see it.

can you prove it's psychological though? maybe some people are just born gay, simple as...
  • Options
    I think it is both nature AND nurture.

how come most gays have straight siblings then?
  • Options
    can you prove it's psychological though? maybe some people are just born gay, simple as...

No, but then I didnt make that claim.

I have seen many posters on these boards making the claim that being gay isnt a choice, but theyve never come up with evidence to back up their claims.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    how come most gays have straight siblings then?
    Are you an only child?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Are you an only child?

no, 1 brother, 1 sister and a half brother, why do you ask?
  • Options
    Because it affects my response. You know you're different to your brothers and sister. Asking why someone who's gay siblings aren't gay is bizarre. Even though the nature and nuture are similar, with everyone you see brothers and sisters turning out very differently.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Because it affects my response. You know you're different to your brothers and sister. Asking why someone who's gay siblings aren't gay is bizarre. Even though the nature and nuture are similar, with everyone you see brothers and sisters turning out very differently.

but it doesn't support the theory that being gay has something to do with "nature and nurture"
  • Options
    it doesn't deny it either. That's the point, the nature and nuture of siblings is basically the same, but they still end up different
  • Options
    What makes people heterosexual? Sexual orientation is natural, be it gay, straight or bi, its not something you chose to be, its something that happens to you naturally. And no i don't think people turn gay because of a trauma. In isolated incidents this may happen, but overall people are gay for the same reasons that others are straight, because its how they were born.
  • Options
    No one knows do they - but why does it matter?
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    What makes people heterosexual? Sexual orientation is natural, be it gay, straight or bi, its not something you chose to be, its something that happens to you naturally. And no i don't think people turn gay because of a trauma. In isolated incidents this may happen, but overall people are gay for the same reasons that others are straight, because its how they were born.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but heterosexuality can pretty much be explained with the need to re-create.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No one knows do they - but why does it matter?

No one says it matters. At the end we're all people.
    It's just that it's more interesting than the learning of calcium and chalk from the underground.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but heterosexuality can pretty much be explained with the need to re-create.

But not everyone wants to procreate, surely if it were so natural everyone would be straight and want babies?
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    But not everyone wants to procreate, surely if it were so natural everyone would be straight and want babies?

Well that's the thing, why don't they?

And yes, I know I appear to be extremely etnocentric. I am just trying to raise some questions in order to get some answers.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    From an evolutionary perspective, that point is incongruous.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    From an evolutionary perspective, that point is incongruous.

Tell that to trhe people who don't want kids.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Tell that to trhe people who don't want kids.
    That's a lifestyle choice, not an evolutionary pressure.
  • Options
    But if homosexuality wasn't a result of evolution then why are mens g-spots located near their prostrate?
  • Options
    My mate's one of those gays and so is her Mam, so maybe it is genetic.
  • Options
    my only explanation is, peopel liek who they liek and dont liek who they dont like, if both people consent to doing stuff with eachother, then let them
  • Options
    satehen wrote:

Nah, homosexuality serves no evolutionary or biological purpose. The default sexuality is heterosexuality.

I'd say homosexuality is obviously pyschological, not some biological inheritance...people's sexuality is largely a reflection of their personality on a different level.
  • Options
    My mate's one of those gays and so is her Mam, so maybe it is genetic.

doesn't mean anything tbh
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    But if homosexuality wasn't a result of evolution then why are mens g-spots located near their prostrate?

theres no such a thing as pai nor pelasure, only different ways of interpreting sensitivity ;)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    doesn't mean anything tbh
    Not really because maybe her Mam passed the gay gene to her.