Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Without going and hunting down the specific scripture. The bible says that the ONLY people who have to attempt to live with biblical morality are Christians. We are expressly told NOT to judge non-christians (at all for the record) according to the standards of the bible. Christians are a different matter of course, but even then we need to bear in mind that salvation is not won by what we do.

Fine words. Shame most Christians are quite happy in their morally superior vory tower, judging non-Christians and trying to use their faith to influence public policy.

Actually, what you've said pretty much amounts to an argument for total secularisation of politics which is something I believe in quite strongly. Must bear your comments in mind...
  • Options
    Indeed, it is a shame.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Fine words. Shame most Christians are quite happy in their morally superior vory tower, judging non-Christians and trying to use their faith to influence public policy.

Actually, what you've said pretty much amounts to an argument for total secularisation of politics which is something I believe in quite strongly. Must bear your comments in mind...

And Christians are any worse at that than other people?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Is the question....should Christian beliefs be given a higher status than others? Its unclear.

No, I don't think it is. Religious beliefs are solely a matter for individuals, and one set deserves no higher status - legally, especially - than any other or none at all.
    Yes of course a Christian shouldn't expect everyone else to follow their scripture, but at the same time, those who dont should respect it, even if they dont follow it.

I respect it - insofar as I respect everyone's right to their own beliefs - but do not and will not share it. And I am not prepared to have Christians, or any other faith group, lobby to have my rights restricted just because their beliefs say that the exercise of those rights is morally wrong. That's the real crux of the issue: it's not what peopel believe, it's what they try and do with their beliefs.
    Multi-faith and multi-cultural societies can work if everyone realises that they dont have the definate answer, that there is always room for debate and discussion.

Agreed, but I do believe that politics and religion should be separated as far as possible, and public life - in the sense of public institutions and political discourse - should be as secular as possible.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    And Christians are any worse at that than other people?

No worse than any other religion, just more visible in this country.
  • Options
    So, people who don't have a religion are all upstanding well-balanced members of the community?
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    No worse than any other religion, just more visible in this country.

I dont think there are effective Christian lobbying groups here really, not compared to the States. Big Business has a FAR bigger influence.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Agreed, but I do believe that politics and religion should be separated as far as possible, and public life - in the sense of public institutions and political discourse - should be as secular as possible.

Yes, to a certain extent. I just think that non religious people can be just as close minded, just as restrictive of freedoms of others and just as arogant as to whats best for the people. Its not religion that is the issue, its making sure there are checks and balances in the system so that small pressure groups can not change policy against the will of the majority.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    So, people who don't have a religion are all upstanding well-balanced members of the community?

Is that addressed to me?

If so, of course not.

BB
    I dont think there are effective Christian lobbying groups here really, not compared to the States. Big Business has a FAR bigger influence.

Big Business is pretty damn influential stateside too... However, I quite agree that there aren't the sort of right-wing religious lobby groups here that there are in the 'States - thank fuck.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yes, to a certain extent. I just think that non religious people can be just as close minded, just as restrictive of freedoms of others and just as arogant as to whats best for the people. Its not religion that is the issue, its making sure there are checks and balances in the system so that small pressure groups can not change policy against the will of the majority.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Is that addressed to me?

If so, of course not.

Yes it was, and it was a nudge to remind you that it's people that are the problem, and more often than not, not actually the religion.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, you gave me some sort of fluff about everyone being capable of empathy.

Don't you think they are?
  • Options
    This is about what you think, what does capability have to do with whether morality is correct or not?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yes it was, and it was a nudge to remind you that it's people that are the problem, and more often than not, not actually the religion.

But the religion is composed of people...
  • Options
    yes, but it is the people that are the problem, not the teaching.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    This is about what you think, what does capability have to do with whether morality is correct or not?

Have you actually been reading my posts?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

People created religion, so that's rather a circular argument I think.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    yes, but it is the people that are the problem, not the teaching.

You're arguing in circles again.
  • Options
    Yes, you haven't said a lot, you've insulted me a bit, and have claimed to have answered the question.

Go ahead.

Is everyone's sense of right and wrong correct?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yes, you haven't said a lot, you've insulted me a bit, and have claimed to have answered the question.

Go ahead.

:banghead:
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    People created religion, so that's rather a circular argument I think.

not at all, at least, there is one exception.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    :banghead:
    Still no answer?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

What does that mean? Is your sense of right and wrong correct simply because it's printed and leather bound?
  • Options
    My sense of what is right and wrong is fluid. It's always changing and altering. I accept and embrace the uncertainty of it. Taking my moralist cue from 2000 year old text seems like the easy way out. It requires less examination of yourself.
  • Options
  • Options
    So you say your sense of right and wrong is fluid? So when have you got it correct? If you accept it to be uncertain, who's morality is certain? And most importantly. Is everyone's sense of right and wrong correct?

And just to make things clear, it does not matter what I think here, I'm asking the questions they give no real indication of my opinion.
  • Options
    My sense of what is right and wrong is fluid. It's always changing and altering. I accept and embrace the uncertainty of it. Taking my moralist cue from 2000 year old text seems like the easy way out. It requires less examination of yourself.
    Does it? That's really quite insulting to her and condescending. You're implying that somebody who believes in the Bible is thus a simple person?

That's like saying to a Taoist, or a Muslim, or a Buddhist, a Shintoist or a Jewish person that because they believe something that was written years ago, some legend or in some sort of deity that they're not examining themselves?

How are we conditioned in to 'morals'? We go with what society tells us maybe? Or what we learn in school... We read signs and see movies where the bad guy gets killed... That's no more superior to the Bible really as it's simply people telling you what to do and how to live your life.

I really don't understand how dedicating yourself to a religion is an 'easy way out'. Personally I think that a person who's ignorant has the easiest life.
  • Options
    I bow to you madam.

Really though, this line of debate, if you're remotely interested, requires the question be answered. And as uncomfortable as it may make you it really is as simple as either everyone's personal sense of morality is correct, or everyone's is not, that there are some (maybe all) who's morality is incorrect, flawed, in error, wrong etc.
  • Options
    And on the original point of the thread! I don't really believe in hetero/homo/bisexuality as anything more than a reference when looking for a date, but again that's rooted within my own spiritual beliefs. Men and women both have a balance of masculine and feminine energies in and their own frequency so to speak... When you are attracted to the person you form a connection...

I think an attraction to the physical part of a person, for example being a boobs guy or liking a tight male arse is no more bizarre than any paraphilia out there... It's just what ya like.

People make such a big deal over 'sexuality'.
  • Options
    the state has me under key and lock....i'm fucked :crazyeyes