Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    That's not answering the question.

Yes it is. Just because you don't like the answer, it doesn't mean that I haven't answered it.
  • Options
    no, it's not answering the question, it's avoiding it.

Is everyone's sense of right and wrong correct?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Acts 10:9-22

Specifically Vs 15 'The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

Matt 15:1-20

Specifically Vs 16-18 '"Are you still so dull?" Jesus asked them. "Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? but the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean'"'

1 Corinthians 8:1-11:1

Specifically Ch 10 Vs 25-26 'Eat anything sold in the meat amrket without raising questions of conscience, for "the earth is the Lord's and eveyrthing in it"'

Ok, so don't try the shellfish arguement on me. For the record, I don't like it much, so don't eat it.

So you admit that the bible contradicts itself?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    no, it's not answering the question, it's avoiding it.

The way you phrase it is too simplistic. Its not a question that has a yes/no answer.
  • Options
    Actually it is. but you don't want to give it. Why not?
  • Options
    I hoped that people would hold the same view as me on DW's question. Maybe I'm peculiar...Everybody was up in arms when Rich Kid said homosexuality was unnatural so I presumed you all believe it's natural.
    Given that we all know there's a huge variety of sexual desires, it's easiest to think of as a large circle full of all our different passions, presumably growing bigger if ever a new kick is discovered.
    It's clear from the total absence of a particular factor exclusive to gays including emotional trauma or unusual parenting (they would have found it) that homosexuality is just another perfectly natural expression of human sexuality. It's within the circle in which all these varieties of human desires blend and flow - not a wierd variant that needs explaining.
    It's not going to be explained by chemicals or psychology or a peculiarity of brain structure, anymore than a liking of big tits or redheads would be, it's part of the same picture. The question didn't need an answer.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Actually it is. but you don't want to give it. Why not?

you've got a very simplistic view of human beings
  • Options
    Are you going to answer the question?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Are you going to answer the question?

You're being very simpleminded.
  • Options
    I wasn't expecting to find that Peter and Paul would have an objection to shellfish, I just knew it was old testament and that JC had endorsed somewhere the ot prophets. I was just intending to show contradictions and that you probably opted for what suited you. But better than that I have Peter and Paul contradicting JC. :thumb:
  • Options
    Why won't you answer the question?
  • Options
    I wasn't expecting to find that Peter and Paul would have an objection to shellfish, I just knew it was old testament and that JC had endorsed somewhere the ot prophets. I was just intending to show contradictions and that you probably opted for what suited you. But better than that I have Peter and Paul contradicting JC. :thumb:

Actually I quoted Christ as well. No contradiction there.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

I have.
  • Options
    No, you haven't you've side-stepped it, and insulted me (how rare) but you haven't answer the question

• Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, you haven't you've side-stepped it, and insulted me (how rare) but you haven't answer the question

Its not a question that can be answered yes/no. If you think it is then you haven't thought about it enough. I have answered it based on my feelings of where a moral sense comes from - empathy. I believe that every human being is capable of empathy, but this very much depends on early development, life experience etc. You're looking for simple answers to very complex issues.
  • Options
    it is a question that can be answered yes/no, you just don't want to.
  • Options
    I hoped that people would hold the same view as me on DW's question. Maybe I'm peculiar...Everybody was up in arms when Rich Kid said homosexuality was unnatural so I presumed you all believe it's natural.
    Given that we all know there's a huge variety of sexual desires, it's easiest to think of as a large circle full of all our different passions, presumably growing bigger if ever a new kick is discovered.
    It's clear from the total absence of a particular factor exclusive to gays including emotional trauma or unusual parenting (they would have found it) that homosexuality is just another perfectly natural expression of human sexuality. It's within the circle in which all these varieties of human desires blend and flow - not a wierd variant that needs explaining.
    It's not going to be explained by chemicals or psychology or a peculiarity of brain structure, anymore than a liking of big tits or redheads would be, it's part of the same picture. The question didn't need an answer.

Good Post.............
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    it is a question that can be answered yes/no, you just don't want to.

Maybe you have a simplistic view of humans, but I don't.
  • Options
    Why aren't you answering the question?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

You are a fine one to take people to task for ducking questions.

In the first place, I'd rather like a response to my last (but one?) post, which was directed specifically at you.

In the second,
    Ok, so don't try the shellfish arguement on me. For the record, I don't like it much, so don't eat it.

What's that, if not ducking a question? Leviticus puts 'lying with man as with woman' in much the same bracket as eating shellfish, going near your wife when she's menstruating, wearing mixed cloths and various other things. Why get steamed up about homosexuality if you're not bothered about the others? Isn't that a fine example of prioritising the bits of the Bible that best suit your own views and prejudices?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its not a question that can be answered yes/no. If you think it is then you haven't thought about it enough. I have answered it based on my feelings of where a moral sense comes from - empathy. I believe that every human being is capable of empathy, but this very much depends on early development, life experience etc. You're looking for simple answers to very complex issues.

And genes Mr Lysenko :)

"The results show a genetic contribution of 42% of the
    reliable variance to pro-social behaviour for men and
    women combined. The results also support the contention
    of Krueger et al. (2001) that pro-social behavior may have a
    significant proportion of the variance due to common family
    environment (23% of the reliable variance)."
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't see your question, what was it?
    And would you care to quote me "getting steamed up about homosexuality" please?
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    What's that, if not ducking a question? Leviticus puts 'lying with man as with woman' in much the same bracket as eating shellfish, going near your wife when she's menstruating, wearing mixed cloths and various other things. Why get steamed up about homosexuality if you're not bothered about the others? Isn't that a fine example of prioritising the bits of the Bible that best suit your own views and prejudices?

No, because later on in the Bible (according to my understanding) Jesus himself says that actually those diet things arent important anymore. Thus that section is sort of repealed where as the 'laying with man' bit isnt.
  • Options
    A lot of talk about the Bible wrt homosexuality here. I'm reliably informed that that quote from Leviticus is translated ambiguously from the original Hebrew and can mean any number of different things.

It is also generally held that the sin resulting in the destruction of Sodom, was homosexuality. However, there is NO evidence in the Bible to back this up. In fact it is quite possible to conclude that the Bible has nothing whatsoever to say on the subject.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Why aren't you answering the question?

:banghead: I have.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Sorry, I didn't see your question, what was it?
    Straying back near the original thread topic, the problem that I have with religious people (not specifically Christians) is this:

You're talking about living a moral life, and making the right decisions and so on. That's up to you - if that's what you want to do, then do it. But what makes you think that other people should abide by their moral code? What right have you to suggest that they should? Why should your Christian definition of marriage, to revisit an example discussed (although not to conclusion) a few pages back, override other people's?

You go off and live your Christian life by all means, but when you start judging other people on the basis of your beliefs, you cannot be surprised when people start answering back and you cannot object to their doing so. Your principles are no more above criticism than anyone else's. That, I feel, is a lesson that a great many religious folk have yet to learn.

Any thoughts?
    And would you care to quote me "getting steamed up about homosexuality" please?

The 'getting steamed up' wasn't specifically a reference to yourself - plenty of Christians have a bee in their bonnet about sexuality issues. But perhaps you could answer the substance of my question rather than playing with semantics?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    No, because later on in the Bible (according to my understanding) Jesus himself says that actually those diet things arent important anymore. Thus that section is sort of repealed where as the 'laying with man' bit isnt.

he even repeals the captial punishments fans favourite "eye for an eye tooth for a tooth" suggesting that christians should just let people be and lead by example as he done
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Any thoughts?

Without going and hunting down the specific scripture. The bible says that the ONLY people who have to attempt to live with biblical morality are Christians. We are expressly told NOT to judge non-christians (at all for the record) according to the standards of the bible. Christians are a different matter of course, but even then we need to bear in mind that salvation is not won by what we do.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    :banghead: I have.
    No, you gave me some sort of fluff about everyone being capable of empathy.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Any thoughts?

Is the question....should Christian beliefs be given a higher status than others? Its unclear.

If it is, then no. But you have to accept that they are more important to those who follow the faith.

Yes of course a Christian shouldn't expect everyone else to follow their scripture, but at the same time, those who dont should respect it, even if they dont follow it.

Multi-faith and multi-cultural societies can work if everyone realises that they dont have the definate answer, that there is always room for debate and discussion.