Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Which is exactly why The Church will always be just as human as those who run it, there will be greed and corruption.

That shouldnt cast a shaddow over actual religious teachings, which in many examples are very different.

I agree. There are plenty of sound pricipals that get over looked with all the negativity attached to religion, although i pretty much think "Love Thy Neighbour" covers everything!
  • Options
    I agree. There are plenty of sound pricipals that get over looked with all the negativity attached to religion, although i pretty much think "Love Thy Neighbour" covers everything!

I'd agree with that, you cant really argue with that can you.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, you're saying that I can't understand God because he's God. That is circular nonsense.
    It's not, it's how it is. Do you really expect your dog to understand you?
  • Options
    Blagsta: IMO I think the problem that folks like you and I have with the whole situation is that believers can't give us the answers that we would need to be accepting. Inherently religion constantly contradicts itself but anyone with their head screwed on can argue the hand of man is solely responsible for it. The Bible isn’t the word of God and is subject to exactly the constraints, perversion and misrepresentation any text has. The best religion IMHO is a personal one. There are plenty of sound principals that religion promotes which are unfortunately lost a lot of the time thorugh mass subscription. When you’re trying to get such a huge amount of people to subscribe to essentially the same views then it’s bound to fail. The Catholic faith is a prime example of this.
    Or Buddhism... Imagine what a beautiful world it'd be if everyone was Buddhist. :)

We wouldn't have prejudice, greed, war... I think a lot of Christians do a lot of good things around the world, taking on Christianity in their life but for a Buddhist... Buddhism is their life.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

I expect he does if he uses a one syllable word.
  • Options
    Or Buddhism... Imagine what a beautiful world it'd be if everyone was Buddhist. :)

We wouldn't have prejudice, greed, war... I think a lot of Christians do a lot of good things around the world, taking on Christianity in their life but for a Buddhist... Buddhism is their life.

Thats a seriously high regard you have for Buddists there, they are just as human as the rest of us.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Thats a seriously high regard you have for Buddists there, they are just as human as the rest of us.
    Ever looked in to Buddhism?

Yes I do hold Buddhists with high reguard because their beliefs are beautiful.
  • Options
    Ever looked in to Buddhism?

Yes I do hold Buddhists with high reguard because their beliefs are beautiful.

Oh of course, but like with any other religion they are only Humans, therefore I think your idea of World peace and loveliness if we were all Buddist an exageration.
  • Options
    I expect he does if he uses a one syllable word.
    How comparable is that understanding then? You can tell your dog to sit, stay, but can you discuss the finer points of symphonic music?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    How comparable is that understanding then? You can tell your dog to sit, stay, but can you discuss the finer points of symphonic music?

So how does that fit into this? That we cant ever communicate with God because we are like dogs in comparison?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Oh of course, but like with any other religion they are only Humans, therefore I think your idea of World peace and loveliness if we were all Buddist an exageration.
    I just think it'd be a lot nicer, people would be a lot happier, the world would definately be a lot cleaner...
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So how does that fit into this? That we cant ever communicate with God because we are like dogs in comparison?
    I'm just following the line of questioning. And it's not about not being able to communicate, because we can, just not on the same level.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'm just following the line of questioning. And it's not about not being able to communicate, because we can, just not on the same level.

OK, I was just confused by the dog thing, are you suggesting that God can only give us simple messages, because anything longer than His version of 'sit' would pass over our heads?
  • Options
    Basically, yeah, it was more that Blagsta was complaining about not being able to understand or comprehend God because He's God. So I used the dog analogy. While there is a genuine relationship and a level of communication between a dog and owner, the dog is never going to understand most of the things it's owner does.
  • Options
    Can I be a cute dog with floppy ears?
  • Options
    yes
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Yes but a dog actually exists...saying a dog is a dog and that's it is a circular argument. Saying that I can communiacte with a dog in certain ways, through tone of voice, touch etc, that dogs communicate with each other throough smell etc etc is a discussion. Saying that dog = dog is not.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Basically, yeah, it was more that Blagsta was complaining about not being able to understand or comprehend God because He's God. So I used the dog analogy. While there is a genuine relationship and a level of communication between a dog and owner, the dog is never going to understand most of the things it's owner does.

But the analogy doesn't hold up, for the reasons I've just mentioned.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't believe in a soul, so all that just comes across as patronising nonsense.

You don't believe in a soul?Ok,so what do you believe in?

As for the ''patronising nonsense'' remark, ummm...is that the level of conversation I am supposed to follow here? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Totally un-related to the subject, but - I absolutely adore the name Milagro (though when I heard of it the first time it was Milagros, if I remember correctly) :)

Thank you, it means miracle in spanish. :)

But why do you say it's totally unrelated?I thought we were analysing the factors that influence sexual orientation?I just offered a more spiritual perspective on the matter.
  • Options
    Milagro wrote:
    You don't believe in a soul?Ok,so what do you believe in?

As for the ''patronising nonsense'' remark, ummm...is that the level of conversation I am supposed to follow here? :rolleyes:

Why do I have to believe in anything?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why do I have to believe in anything?
    Are you an agnostic?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Are you an agnostic?

well thats what we all should be...
  • Options
    Although it is interesting what a six pack o' stella can encourage a "straight" guy to do... :D

Why can't people accept uncompromisingly straight sexuality?

I'm sick of gays and bi-sexuals telling me i'm apparently bi-sexual "because everyone is". It really is becoming a very tiresome bandwagon.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Why can't people accept uncompromisingly straight sexuality?

aye i know...i have 2 bi-sexual friends, one boy and one girl, and they keep saying ot me "have you never kissed a boy", i say "no" and they look shocked and say "don't knock it until you've tried", like if i had any fucking desire in my body to kiss a boy, i'd have done it by now, i'm just 100% straight, end of story, some people just don't get it...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Are you an agnostic?

On some days. Atheist on others.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    On some days. Atheist on others.

why...i see the whole God thing like a map, a map with an X on it that marks the spot, the X is god, however the map is untitled and we don't know where it is, some people take the map, i.e. the bible and base their faith that they'll find X eventually, probably death, i'm agnostic, i'm just waiting for someone to tell me where the island is and where X is situated, atheists just discount the map altogether...i'm agnostic, it's what everyone should be if you had any right sense of mind...
  • Options

Buddhism is a fairly strange religion once you scratch the surface. They hold some fairly far out views. I did some reading into it a while back and the structure of the Karma system is really out there.

A farily good outline of the karma system is here.
  • Options
    i like some of the spiritual aspects of buddhism, then again i like some of the bible's teachings, i don't see any point adhering to a certain religion
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    why...i see the whole God thing like a map, a map with an X on it that marks the spot, the X is god, however the map is untitled and we don't know where it is, some people take the map, i.e. the bible and base their faith that they'll find X eventually, probably death, i'm agnostic, i'm just waiting for someone to tell me where the island is and where X is situated, atheists just discount the map altogether...i'm agnostic, it's what everyone should be if you had any right sense of mind...
    What if you found a map and reached X? Would that person have a "right sense of mind?".