Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote:
    So all actions of animals are natural in your view
    Animals are incapable of sin, they are not bestowed with the soul that resides in all human beings. They have behavioural choices some we humans would term natural, some unnatural, but I stress this is considering animal behaviour through human eyes, not altogether an accurate barometer as to animal normality.
  • Options
    Well you know the report post button is there for a reason. Given the high volume of posts made by users and the way threads often descend into bitching it can be hard to read through everything. So if you see something that makes you sick - use the report post button and don't attack someone back.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Animals are incapable of sin, they are not bestowed with the soul that resides in all human beings. They have behavioural choices some we humans would term natural, some unnatural, but I stress this is considering animal behaviour through human eyes, not altogether an accurate barometer as to animal normality.

I certainly don't name any animal behaviour as "unnatural".
  • Options
    I think Rich Kid is unnatural.

The sad thing is that he isn't the only genetic freak to think that. When the owner of Stagecoach buses is a self-confessed homophobic cunt, then it kinda proves how homophobes are completely lacking in ethics and morals.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Why haven't you been banned yet?
    Why should I be banned? Or are you just against free speech and hearing a different viewpoint to that of your own? Are you a natural totalitarian?
    Arguments linking homosexuality to paedophilia are as valid as arguments saying that Dachau never existed.[/quote}
    :confused::confused:
    To answer the original question, I think that homosexuality is partly nurture and partly nature. Some people do turn to homosexuality to overcome horrific childhood trauma- the psychologist who proved that homosexuality was not a mental illness has also proved that some homosexuals can be "cured" using CBT- but to say that people "choose" to become homosexual shows little or no understanding of psychiatry.
    Of course you know it all don't you. It sounds to me as though you know b***er all. You speak of "turning to homosexuality" as though someone "turned to drink" to overcome an horrific childhood trauma - come on now, get real about this, theres no "turning to" in this.

I'm beginning to accept what Ibex said on the subject, after all he should know, and he seems like a truthful person.
  • Options
    Claiming homosexuality is the same as paedophilia isn't permitted on these boards, and in Kermit's eyes your post implied this, if I felt you were saying that you would be banned.

These discussion boards are not run on the basis of absolute free speech, but speech under the frame work of the rules.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Fiend, have a go at explaining. Blagsta, if she does, try and post without using an obscenity, and try and post something intelligent to do with religion for a change, too.

Ok, unbelievably simply overview, this is the the wings affect flight, simplistic version of aerodynamics version. So, there are loads of passages in the bible that refer to choice. Thing is that most of the are about God choosing us. IE freewill is a fallacy, that God is supreme and that what He deems will happen, will happen. Leading theologians still cannot agree on whether it is pre-destination, or election that controls the world, or some complicated intermingling of the two.

Moving on from that, the other aspect of God's intervention with homosexuality, is that (again wings affect flight version) everything that is 'wrong' with the world (and I use inverted commas because of varying opinion on what's wrong) is due to, and because of (as blagsta has helpfully put in in the past) original sin. All bad things, disease, death, anger, hatred, jealousy, murder, rape, paedophillia, violence, war, racism ALL come down to one thing, which is thinking YOU are god, and thinking YOU are better. Therefore you can do whatever the hell you want. Most people want to believe that they are not as bad as someone else. In actuality, because ALL sins (that's the bad stuff btw) comes down to the same root source, thinking you're god, all sin is equally bad. And because all sins are equally bad, all are equally sinful and equally out of sync with God. This is also true because the solution to the separation between man and God is the same for everyone, which is the payment for sin by Christ on the cross. Because christ was the only man to live without sinning (and the punishment for sin is death, which is why we all die) He didn't have to die. So when He did, He meant that the second death (ie judgement day) will go differently for some.

I'm gonna stop there, because despite it being the SIMPLE answer, it's getting a little longwinded. I'm not really interested in debating this.

CptCoatHanger, do mention if I haven't answered what I was going to.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Why should I be banned? Or are you just against free speech and hearing a different viewpoint to that of your own? Are you a natural totalitarian?

When you start droning on about "predatorial" homosexuals "corrupting" our darling impressionable youth, you are directly implying that homosexuals are coercive, manipulative paedophiles. I would suggest that you retract that comment, but it looks like Jim V doesn't see the same problem with this comparison that I do.
    You speak of "turning to homosexuality" as though someone "turned to drink" to overcome an horrific childhood trauma - come on now, get real about this, theres no "turning to" in this.

No I didn't, it's you who doesn't appear to understand basic English.

I speak of "turning to", to use your phrase, as in "turning to serious depression to hide anger and guilt".

I'm no know-it-all, but I know considerably more than you.
    I'm beginning to accept what Ibex said on the subject, after all he should know, and he seems like a truthful person.

Beginning to accept? You take pretention to new levels.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Ok, unbelievably simply overview, this is the the wings affect flight, simplistic version of aerodynamics version. So, there are loads of passages in the bible that refer to choice. Thing is that most of the are about God choosing us. IE freewill is a fallacy, that God is supreme and that what He deems will happen, will happen. Leading theologians still cannot agree on whether it is pre-destination, or election that controls the world, or some complicated intermingling of the two.

Moving on from that, the other aspect of God's intervention with homosexuality, is that (again wings affect flight version) everything that is 'wrong' with the world (and I use inverted commas because of varying opinion on what's wrong) is due to, and because of (as blagsta has helpfully put in in the past) original sin. All bad things, disease, death, anger, hatred, jealousy, murder, rape, paedophillia, violence, war, racism ALL come down to one thing, which is thinking YOU are god, and thinking YOU are better. Therefore you can do whatever the hell you want. Most people want to believe that they are not as bad as someone else. In actuality, because ALL sins (that's the bad stuff btw) comes down to the same root source, thinking you're god, all sin is equally bad. And because all sins are equally bad, all are equally sinful and equally out of sync with God. This is also true because the solution to the separation between man and God is the same for everyone, which is the payment for sin by Christ on the cross. Because christ was the only man to live without sinning (and the punishment for sin is death, which is why we all die) He didn't have to die. So when He did, He meant that the second death (ie judgement day) will go differently for some.

I'm gonna stop there, because despite it being the SIMPLE answer, it's getting a little longwinded. I'm not really interested in debating this.

CptCoatHanger, do mention if I haven't answered what I was going to.

Which is precisely why I think Christianity is stupid. People don't need "God" to tell them to be nice to each other - most people are nice to each other because they are capable of empathy - something which develops in children if they are given enough consistent love, affection and boundaries (or containment if you want to use a term from psychoanalysis). Of course we then have the problem of war etc - usually competition over resources, often complicated because political and religous leaders are very good at manipulating people. To think that "all bad things" come down to thinking we are better than a Christian God, is quite frankly, bizarrely simpleminded. It totally ignores psychology/emotion, our material condidtions etc.
  • Options
    No it doesn't. actually. But as I said, I'm not interested in debating this.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No it doesn't. actually. But as I said, I'm not interested in debating this.

No what doesn't? Why bring it up if you don't want to debate it? :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Which is precisely why I think Christianity is stupid.

Intelligent comment?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Which is precisely why I think Christianity is stupid.
    Only a communist or an anarchist could come out with quite such an ignorant comment. Which category you fit in, I despair to think.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Only a communist or an anarchist could come out with quite such an ignorant comment. Which category you fit in, I despair to think.

Hey, he is ALLOWED an opinion and just because he may be in the minority does not give people the right to judge.

FFS you cant say nowt on these boards cos some fucker will have a go at you cos you dont think the same as the majority.

Pissing me off to be honest.
  • Options
    Exactly, he's perfectly allowed to express a personal opinion that doesn't agree with personality. He's not allowed to attack other users but he is allowed to disagree with Chrisitianity as much as you are permitted to agree to it.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Hey, he is ALLOWED an opinion and just because he may be in the minority does not give people the right to judge. FFS you cant say nowt on these boards cos some fucker will have a go at you cos you dont think the same as the majority.
    I can't stand this idea that we have to be "non-judgemental" on the P&D forum. Isn't that the whole point?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

That comment is not much better to be frank.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone said that he wasn't allowed to say it.

It's not exactly insight-of-the-century though.

The rest of his post was slightly better, but only servesd to highlight the irreconcilable differences between those who believe in God and those who don't. Personally I think Blagsta just about manages to make a point with the rest of his post, but it isn't anything to do with Fiend's explanation.
  • Options
    in blagstas respect he said thats why he thinks it's stupid, not that it is stupid, and stargalaxys comment was way worse than that tbh...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I can't stand this idea that we have to be "non-judgemental" on the P&D forum. Isn't that the whole point?

Respect others views, even though you may not agree with them, thats what the P&D forum is about.

you go to other forums and people will say why they dont post in this forum is because of the way that people get shouted at here. This forum is to debate and so in order to debate subjects you HAVE to listen to the other side and try to get them to your way of thinking. This rarely happens in this forum now, all I seem to see is people saying 'troll' blah blah blah

Lets get this forum back to debating, not too much to ask for is it ?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Be judgemental when it's deserved, and not at any chance where you think it seems to fit the "holier than thou" image which you are failingly trying to set - it helps only the opposite in your case, hence failingly.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Be judgemental when it's deserved, and not at any chance where you think it seems to fit the "holier than thou" image which you are failingly trying to set - it helps only the opposite in your case, hence failingly.
    I don't understand what you mean by this. Since when do I have a "holier than thou" image? :eek2:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't understand what you mean by this. Since when do I have a "holier than thou" image? :eek2:

You've misunderstood something. You don't have such an image, being that everyone is sick and tired of the way you come across.
    Like one of those annoying kids which doesn't have a clue, learns to subtract and then suddenly thinks he is fit to teach the whole class how to divide.
  • Options
    *just slinging insults isn't going to help anything, and disagreeing with what someone else's negative posts doesn't justify yours.
  • Options
    See Star its posts like the above one which are really turning the politic board into something like a kinderagrden.
    Calling people names like lamp boy, child troll etc , changing poster names (on the quote bit).

ffs this is pathetic.

Whats up with you lot, can you not just press the iggy button or sommat :rolleyes:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Quite right. I'm an anarchist communist. How about engaging with the rest of my post?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Intelligent comment?

How about engaging with the rest of my post?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't think anyone said that he wasn't allowed to say it.

It's not exactly insight-of-the-century though.

The rest of his post was slightly better, but only servesd to highlight the irreconcilable differences between those who believe in God and those who don't. Personally I think Blagsta just about manages to make a point with the rest of his post, but it isn't anything to do with Fiend's explanation.

Fiend's explanation presupposes that I agree with her initial premise - that a Christian God exists.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Fiend's explanation presupposes that I agree with her initial premise - that a Christian God exists.
    You asked for her to explain what she meant, and she has done. I don't think that's unreasonable, and certainly not worthy of the "Christianity is stupid" comment.

As for the rest of your post, it does come down completely to the existence, or otherwise, of a "God" (of any denomination). Bad things do happen when people don't act with Godly kindness and compassion, for whatever reason, I don't really think you can complain about that.

Personally I think that what you said about the "human empathy" is true, because I never have had much truck with the whole concept of "original sin". But Fiend is correct with her comments on "Godliness"- to be quite honest, you appear to be arguing over semantics, if we cut past all the religious (either Christian or Atheist) lexis.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    People don't need "God" to tell them to be nice to each other
    Really? Actually I think people need a slap because despite being capable of empathy, we rarely exhibit it in our actions. We are naturally selfish and self-serving (evolution tells us so).
    Of course, the biblical message was more subtle than a slap but Jesus answers your questions directly. Seek and ye shall find. ;)
    To think that "all bad things" come down to thinking we are better than a Christian God, is quite frankly, bizarrely simpleminded. It totally ignores psychology/emotion, our material condidtions etc.
    These are human creations. Name one "bad thing" that isn't due to thinking man is better than God.