Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    that's a simplistic view of "error" in creation. Just for the record.

RK's statement or my basic expansion of it?
  • Options
    both.
  • Options
    If its a choice why do people choose it?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    If its a choice why do people choose it?

Because it felt like the right choice to make?
  • Options
    Are bigots born that way or is it a choice?

I reckon they can be cured, with the right treatment.

;)
  • Options
    would you like to use me as a guinea pig Mr Lamp? ;)
  • Options
    Because it felt like the right choice to make?

But why would it seem the right choice to make when from a young age everyone is told they should be straight.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But why would it seem the right choice to make when from a young age everyone is told they should be straight.

Surely the same principle can be applied to anything. Why do people do what they do? Sure, somethings are desirable, at least to most people e.g. the idea of reproduction. However sometimes things are done, for well, no reason in particular.

There isn't an answer. It may be that people are gay for different reasons, it may be that its biological etc. In all honesty I don't think we will ever know.

People just have to accept that others have made a life style choice-and for some that means being gay.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I dont know if it is in beer, but alcohol can lead to female features in males, alcohol is hard to digest and you need testosterone to do it, therefore the more you drink on a constant basis the less you have. That is why some heavy drinkers develop breasts.
    That's due to liver failure though, not specifically alcohol.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That's due to liver failure though, not specifically alcohol.

Yeah, but its the alcohol which causes it.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    both.

Please elaborate. Taking from the view that there is a god mind.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yeah, but its the alcohol which causes it.
    Not necessarily. Any cause of chronic liver disease would.

And I don't think they turn gay...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Are bigots born that way or is it a choice?

I reckon they can be cured, with the right treatment.

;)

:)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Not necessarily. Any cause of chronic liver disease would.

And I don't think they turn gay...

I wasnt in anyway suggesting that they would, I hope you dont think I was.

The only reason I mentioned it was as a side note to J's comment about feminine beer, thats all.
  • Options
    Has anybody asked why straights are straight, whether gays are gay, whether straights are straight, or why some are neither? All the same question surely?
    So those who don't know the answer to DW's question, are unsure of their sexuality... :D
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I wasnt in anyway suggesting that they would, I hope you dont think I was.

The only reason I mentioned it was as a side note to J's comment about feminine beer, thats all.
    They might do. Who knows. I doubt it's ever been investigated.

Afterall, women with Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) are much more likely to be lesbians.
  • Options
    Please elaborate. Taking from the view that there is a god mind.
    Are you genuinely interested?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Are you genuinely interested?

I genuinely am. PM me if you like, it'll probably go off topic!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    Troll.
    Inaccurate labeller. Despiser of those who hold different views to your narrow view of the world. Lamp boy you are so careless with the truth and so easy when it comes to personal abuse.
  • Options
    Are we seperating God and Nature here? Surely you're implying that God / Nature make mistakes if they intended everyone to be hetrosexual yet some of his creations "went wrong"?
    Ever heard of "free will" and/or "conscience"?
  • Options
    So how does that square with the evidence of homosexuality in the animal kingdom. I'm pretty certain the bible expressly reserves free will for mankind.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0722_040722_gayanimal.html
  • Options
    Pretty certain? IE you've read the whole thing? You've expressly searched for passages indicating free will? Doubt it.
  • Options
    Well I've read the bible and was brought up a christian but in my opinion and based on what I was taught, always assumed there was a fundamental principal running through christian teaching that conscience and free will were the domain of man rather than man and animals - hence the behaviour of animals was natural whereas the behaviour of man could be unnatural, as in altered by his own choice.

Hence the long standing view that homosexuality didn't exsist in the animal kingdom, because animals couldn't be unnatural - and homosexuality was seen as unnatural. Therefore the arguement that god allows homosexuality as some form of test of conscience doesn't square with the evidence of homosexuality amongst animals - why would that exsist if homosexuality is against nature?
  • Options
    It's more complicated than that.
  • Options
    people like who they like, you honestly dont think people should go out with those who they dont care and love and find sexy, cause if you dont find someone you care about sexy, theyre normally a good friend or family

and does anyone know why these animals want to have gay sex with eachother, they might jsut be blind or have something wrong in their heads for all we know :s

people like who they like, personally i find homosexuality unnatural, however people like lots of unnatrual things so that shouldnt affect anything :D
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Now, please don't shoot me down. I am sincerely not trying to put anyone down, so I apologise in advance if my words will offend. It's not the intention.

Now, while revising (or rather learning for the first time) for the oh so exciting subject of geography my mind started wandering and I thought about why gays are gays?
    I have been of the belief that there must be some sort of trauma or the like to expose it. Others say that it's just as random as what color hair you get born with. And hell, the Greek philosophers saw it as the most noble way of living (only men though).
    Now, I got thinking, what does modern psychology tie it down to, today? Freud would probably say something along the lines of a childhood neurosis, which in some ways would probably match along great with my own theory. Just that he declares almost everything to be a result of a neurosis.

Any takes on this?

who cares what modern psychology puts it down to?! up until a few decades ago, it was thought in psychology / psychiatry that if you were gay you were suffering from a mental illness.
    at a long shot in current times psychology would say it is probably about either having strong male role models when you are younger (and you are developing your perception of the world) or not having any.
    there is no theory which takes into account all the magnitude of reasons why some people might be gay. you could ask what makes somebody straight - and what would psychology tie that down to?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's more complicated than that.

Enlighten us then.
  • Options
    No, honestly. I'll be PMing CptCoatHanger later. but you seem to think you can discuss the finer more complicated points of christian/biblical theology with little or no real knowledge or understanding. You wouldn't seriously ask me to explain the finer points of aerodynamics (not that I know them) or thermodynamics and properties of matter on a quantum level.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, honestly. I'll be PMing CptCoatHanger later. but you seem to think you can discuss the finer more complicated points of christian/biblical theology with little or no real knowledge or understanding. You wouldn't seriously ask me to explain the finer points of aerodynamics (not that I know them) or thermodynamics and properties of matter on a quantum level.

You're assuming that I've never read the Bible or been to Sunday school or know anything about Christianity. You're also assuming I have no training in physics. You never heard the saying that tells us what assumption is the mother of?
  • Options
    Bothered? An A-level in physics does not a degree level understanding make. And what most people learn in sunday school is a million miles away from what you're asking me to explain. So no, I won't elaborate.