Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thought that would be your answer. I'll take that to mean that you can't elaborate. That'll be right then. Why bother even mentioning it in the first place? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ... assume away. And I mentioned it for the reasons I've listen above. You guys wonder around dropping complicated theology into the debate like you actually know.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Another point, how do you come to terms that you're most likely not to have children (yes, I do know of adoption and surrogate mothers)?

Btw, thanks to Teagan and ibex who put across the kind of points which I was seraching for :)

Well at my age I'm not considering children to be honest! But it would have been nice to have the option. I guess I never needed to come to terms with it because it's not something I DEFINATELY want, it's more a passing thought.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    ... assume away. And I mentioned it for the reasons I've listen above. You guys wonder around dropping complicated theology into the debate like you actually know.

Oh dear :D
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Thought that would be your answer. I'll take that to mean that you can't elaborate. That'll be right then. Why bother even mentioning it in the first place? :rolleyes:
    You can be soooo tedious Blaggy .....
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Are bigots born that way or is it a choice?

I reckon they can be cured, with the right treatment.

;)
    Start with yourself then lamp boy. Once you're cured perhaps you'll pass the treatment on to certain other posters on this forum.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's more complicated than that.

Back it up then. Explain to us. There's no use saying we're not intelligent enough to understand.
  • Options
    Well this is supposed to be a debate and a reasoned one at that. Blagsta, Aladdin, Rich Kid, if you don't want to be involved in a debate without insulting each other than go find some other forum.

Fiend, I've no wish to make you feel attacked, but I am genuinely curious. But if the ideas you are talking about can't be explained then how do they help a debate? Especially when religion is already part of the discussion.
  • Options
    They can be explained. But really, it's like aerodynamics, it'd take ages to go through the basic mechanics of lift and drag ratios. But then I tell you they're different for take-off, flight and landing, for fast and slow flight and for the load in the plane.

I made the point because it is MORE complicated than free will. There's also no real point about debating of religion because of every regular in P&D only 2 regularly stand on their faith, and of them 1 of them is a pointless troll.
  • Options
    Jim V

I don't intend to insult anyone, but Fiend can't post something and then not explain it because she thinks we wouldn't understand it. Can you imagine what sort of grief she'd give me if I did that?
  • Options
    Mate, it's not that it's beyond you. It's that it'd take AGES, seriously this isn't an essay, this is disertation volume of material.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    They can be explained. But really, it's like aerodynamics, it'd take ages to go through the basic mechanics of lift and drag ratios. But then I tell you they're different for take-off, flight and landing, for fast and slow flight and for the load in the plane.

I made the point because it is MORE complicated than free will. There's also no real point about debating of religion because of every regular in P&D only 2 regularly stand on their faith, and of them 1 of them is a pointless troll.

Yeah 'cos like I is so thick innit
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Mate, it's not that it's beyond you. It's that it'd take AGES, seriously this isn't an essay, this is disertation volume of material.

Well why bring it up?
  • Options
    If you'd like to believe you can understand all of advanced aerodynamics in a fraction of the time the aero department here spend on it, go ahead. Because you can't.

And I have explained SEVERAL times why I brought it up.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    If you'd like to believe you can understand all of advanced aerodynamics in a fraction of the time the aero department here spend on it, go ahead. Because you can't.

I haven't said I can. But I can understand the gist of it.
  • Options
    The gist isn't enough.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The gist isn't enough.

Well why bring it up then if you think we're too thick to understand?
  • Options
    I'm not going to put up with you twisting my words.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'm not going to put up with you twisting my words.

I'm not - you've implied that you're not going to explain what you mean because none of us could understand it.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

STFU blagsta.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Well I've read the bible and was brought up a christian but in my opinion and based on what I was taught, always assumed there was a fundamental principal running through christian teaching that conscience and free will were the domain of man rather than man and animals - hence the behaviour of animals was natural whereas the behaviour of man could be unnatural, as in altered by his own choice.
    Consciousness and the ability to remember and even to learn are often associated with the idea of "free will" yet many animals that we do not view as having "free will" can be conscious, remember and can even learn. But having a conscience is a different matter and resides only in the soul of Man and is the eternal part of each human being that hopefully one day will be in Heaven.
  • Options
    So all actions of animals are natural in your view
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    STFU blagsta.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    but you seem to think you can discuss the finer more complicated points of christian/biblical theology with little or no real knowledge or understanding. You wouldn't seriously ask me to explain the finer points of aerodynamics (not that I know them) or thermodynamics and properties of matter on a quantum level.

So you admit that you can't explain? Well how about you shut the fuck up with your patronising religous "you wouldn't understand" bullshit eh?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Consciousness and the ability to remember and even to learn are often associated with the idea of "free will" yet many animals that we do not view as having "free will" can be conscious, remember and can even learn. But having a conscience is a different matter and resides only in the soul of Man and is the eternal part of each human being that hopefully one day will be in Heaven.

What about sociopaths who don't have a conscience? Are they not human?
  • Options
    You both want banning? Go calm down before I close this thread.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    You both want banning? Go calm down before I close this thread.

No I don't want banning. I would however, like fiend to explain what she meant and drop the patronising bullshit.
  • Options
    Yeah, well labouring the point ain't getting no one nowheres
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    perhaps a few who get caught up in relationships with older more determined queers find it harder to break out of this unnatural state?

Why haven't you been banned yet?

Arguments linking homosexuality to paedophilia are as valid as arguments saying that Dachau never existed.

Fiend, have a go at explaining. Blagsta, if she does, try and post without using an obscenity, and try and post something intelligent to do with religion for a change, too.

To answer the original question, I think that homosexuality is partly nurture and partly nature. Some people do turn to homosexuality to overcome horrific childhood trauma- the psychologist who proved that homosexuality was not a mental illness has also proved that some homosexuals can be "cured" using CBT- but to say that people "choose" to become homosexual shows little or no understanding of psychiatry.
  • Options
    I've posted plenty of intelligent stuff to do with religion. Unfortunately it tends to get ignored in favour of my baiting of gullible idiots.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Why haven't you been banned yet?

My thoughts exactly. Some of his comments make me sick.