Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    don't worry about me, I'll be fine.

how are you both feeling today?

i will worry you ok

just feel odd-really dont like it
  • Options
    thanks everyone.

I'll be ok, trust me.

hope you all willl be too. :)
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Its always the case. It takes years to work it out, just wish someone had spelt it out for me years ago.

:thumb:

Six years in my case. I'm actually up for seeing a doctor this time (after the bad time I had last time I went and being told constanly by my ex how bad for you ADs where, I wont even go into his appalling views on SH on the boards)

No matter how many times someone tells you, you never believe them until your there yourself :thumb:
  • Options
    just wanna say: we only said it to snap you out of feeling bad, not to be horrible.
  • Options
    shadow wrote: »
    Its ok johnny apology accepted.:) I will say the truth i thought you and Calvin were bit harsh thats why i got mad at you both. Its good of you to apologise though thankyou.:) You take care mate:)

If you think that is harsh your going to have to learn to deal with a lot worse. Its nothing against you but its just life. You need to think, your going to have to get a job at some point and going to have to learn to accept criticism, its part of growing up.
  • Options
    he doesn't mean it in a horrible way, Hes only telling it straight up, theres no need to get angry or upset over it. :)

although what I said was harsh I still stand by it.
  • Options
    I did think it was harsh though sorry but you cant go about saying things like you said.

What bit did you think was too harsh?
  • Options
    There isn't any point in sugar-coating things. People have tried telling you nicely, yet you still seem to have the same problems.

Once you leave college in 1/2 years your going to have to start work or go to university. Either way your going to have to leave the house, your going to have to work / study with people who you have different opinions with or don't really get on with. Your going to have to accept criticism from your boss/ colleagues/ tutors. Sometime people can be very harsh and cruel, but you cant just crumble crying in a corner. Your going to have to learn to fight for yourself if your going to get by in life. So start learning how to do that now and you life will get better.

• Options
    What bit did you think was too harsh?

It wasnt too harsh to me. However can this please be dropped now because you three are only going to go round in circles otherwise.
  • Options
    However can this please be dropped now because you three are only going to go round in circles otherwise.

I agree. I have no desire to go round in circles. Shadow there is loads of advice in this thread for you to utilize in an effort to improve your confidence and happiness, please use it wisely.

• Options
    It sounds like that if you carry on like this, then the bullies are still winning. I was also bullied for 5 years, but now, after leaving school, going to college and having a hard time there,i had a time out working, then went back to college whilst in another job to do my NVQ. And yes, things can still be hard,and somedays I have no confidence at all, but you cant let the bullies continue to win. I know that it isn't easy, but it has to be done, and you can't continue to blame it on being bullied.
  • Options
    Shadow mate your the one keeping it going. Grow up.
  • Options
    Shadow, it's going to be difficult to see the subject as closed, as everyone is pretty upset seeing you so down, and seemingly unable to find any support to improve your situation. Inevitably people are going to react when they see the same things posted, it's upsetting and it's very difficult for people to read.

No obviously, on some level, that's what this thread is here for, to share and talk about what you're going through, but it's also a chance for people to offer advice and I think you should spend some time looking over the advice you've been given to see if you're willing to access any of the services that have been suggested.

Although you've said you'll be in a difficult situation with your parents if you access counselling or talking treatments (as you'd disappoint them), it is hard to see how the situation isn't already difficult for them, and I'm sure they'd like you to get help with your confidence.

Now if you can't do that right now, then that's understandable, but all users like Calvin are trying to point out is that situations don't get better on there own, that ultimately there has to be a choice by someone to improve their lives, even if that time isn't now.

If there's something to take from the users of this site who've had issues with depression it's that help is available and it can make a difference. It may not be simple, to may not be as easy to access as it should be, it may not 'cure' a problem, but it can help you to deal with what your going through.

So please consider just picking up the phone and speaking to a service like Saneline (0845 767 8000 - they are open from 1pm). It'll give you a chance to talk confidentially about what you're going through and what services are available in your area to help.

It may seem like a scary step, but right now it seems like the benefits of trying will hopeful outweigh the fear around talking about the problem, which I can understand - obviously a problem becomes much more real and scary when you start to actually talk to a service or professional about it.

But bear in mind the problems you're talking about aren't unusual, or insurmountable, they are the issues that are delt with all the time by counsellors, helplines and local support services - so they will be able to help you, when you're ready to ask for that help.
  • Options
    i dont know what to do!!!!

not coping and stressing and its just upsetting me and so wanting to go back to harm

need to stop i know-starting to wonder how im ever gonna cope with uni if i cant cope now

sorry
  • Options
    no im not

i hate myself!

im just a waste of time and im useless and cant cope with life
  • Options
    wish i could cope-wish i wasnt me-wish i wasnt useless
  • Options
    Shadow mate, do you have a local pub or a club or something near you?

I know some righteous people will have a go at me and say they you don't need this for happiness, but why don't you buy some beers from tesco or something, drink them at home until you're feeling a little bit drunk....which believe me, WILL boost your confidence.
    Then you can just take a stroll down to your local pub, buy a few pints and you'll start chatting to people, possibly regulars, play a few games of pool or darts e.t.c. You'll get on with some people, and if you keep going down there you'll get to know them better. Soon you'll be able to hit clubs with them and meet other people and girls e.t.c.

I don't care what people say, alcohol does boost your confidence and it's a great way to meet people. :)
    Best of luck mate.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I don't care what people say, alcohol does boost your confidence and it's a great way to meet people. :)
    Best of luck mate.

It is a good sugestion pill'ed. However alcohol is a depressent and can lead to you feeling a lot worse if your not a good mood when you already start drinking it, so it has to be used with caution when your suffering from depression.
  • Options
    Shadow mate, do you have a local pub or a club or something near you?

I know some righteous people will have a go at me and say they you don't need this for happiness, but why don't you buy some beers from tesco or something, drink them at home until you're feeling a little bit drunk....which believe me, WILL boost your confidence.
    Then you can just take a stroll down to your local pub, buy a few pints and you'll start chatting to people, possibly regulars, play a few games of pool or darts e.t.c. You'll get on with some people, and if you keep going down there you'll get to know them better. Soon you'll be able to hit clubs with them and meet other people and girls e.t.c.

Best of luck mate.
  • Options
    It is a good sugestion pill'ed. However alcohol is a depressent and can lead to you feeling a lot worse if your not a good mood when you already start drinking it, so it has to be used with caution when your suffering from depression.

I know, which is why I wouldn't reccomend getting smashed, but no harm can come from having a few drinks to get you in the mood and raise your confidence levels.

I could suggest other, less depressing things, but I'm sure I'd get told off. ;)

You're welcome shadow, seriously try some of the things people have suggested. You sound like a nice guy, I'm sure you'd get on with loads of people if you actually went out and tried. :)
  • Options

Lol Calvin that's quality, why you delete it?
  • Options
    Lol Calvin that's quality, why you delete it?

Wasn't appropriate and it was deception :D
  • Options
    I just thought you cocked a smiley.

anyway, yeah, glad your feeling a little better shadow and take it easy HP.
  • Options
    I know, which is why I wouldn't reccomend getting smashed, but no harm can come from having a few drinks to get you in the mood and raise your confidence levels.

I could suggest other, less depressing things, but I'm sure I'd get told off. ;)

Good point. Everyones tolerance is different and I've switched from being lovely to being a crying wreak in the space of one drink before.

Pills are not advisable. Comedowns are bad enough as they are without the extra depression involved. Sex is another good one to lift your mood but sadly no-one ones to provide me with any. ;)
  • Options
    sorry i feel really bad for feeling like this i just dont know what to do just want to feel something other than this-well feeling anything woul;d be a bonus-harming allows me to feel
  • Options
    :):) Thanks johnny and everyone else. I dont know why but i find listening to music is very good it really helps me. Sounds silly but it does. Feeling down but more positive today. Sorry about the other day though. Best frogotten about. :)

Yeah listening to music helps me when I'm feeling down too.
  • Options
    Dont you feel bad at all its ok to be how you do feel hyper. I hope you feel better soon Hyper. Please take care of yourself. Your a great person. :) xx

im really sorry feel so stuppid im such an idiot
  • Options
    Overall, I've had a rather poor 24 hours. Last night, as I lay in bed, I couldn't stop thinking about the fact I'm working six days this week. I have no problem with that fact, or even with work itself. It's just that all I seem to do each day is get up, have breakfast, go to work, come back home, eat a meal, go online and go to bed. Day in, day out, that seems to be the routine. I never seem to do anything different to break the boredom of that routine.

I felt slightly better at the fact that the guys at work have asked me if I want to see the football on Wednesday night. I'm not a footy addict by any means, but I love to watch the big games. I think I'll say yes to the idea, although it does mean I'll have to stay on the Haven park overnight, and will probably be hungover when I turn up for work the next day! It's nice to know somebody gives a damn.

In other aspects, I seem to be floundering. Whether it be in real life or on these boards, I can't seem to say or do anything right at the moment. I know that I'm not at all popular in either case, but this seems worse. Normally, I couldn't care less about these things, which makes me all the more concerned. What the hell's wrong with me?
  • Options
    maybe you're just feeling a bit sensitive at the moment?

As for the work thing, day in day fucking out-i sympathise with you, though i have no answers. Its something that disturbing me greatly at the moment. Im only here on the net now coz i cant face going to bed and waking up to another day, that will be the same as today, or maybe worse.

meh :(
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    maybe you're just feeling a bit sensitive at the moment?

As for the work thing, day in day fucking out-i sympathise with you, though i have no answers. Its something that disturbing me greatly at the moment. Im only here on the net now coz i cant face going to bed and waking up to another day, that will be the same as today, or maybe worse.

meh :(
    I probably am feeling too sensitive. I've a lot of pressures on me at the moment. There's a driving test looming which I must pass first time, (I won't explain the full circumstances here) there's one hell of a busy week in the arcade next week. Aside from that, there are also issues in my family at the moment. My grandad recently gave myself and my sister £200 each to contribute to our university education. He never normally gives out money. Officially, it's because he's 87, and not as young as he used to be. I do worry that there's something I'm not being told, though.