Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Rachael.

I really want to sh, and the only thing stopping me is that I know I'm going to cut too deep then my dad may find out...

i really dont want to sound patronising but have you tried elastic bands on the wrist? i'm told that it hurts like fuck but wont leave marks like cutting.
    also ice-cubes and running you arm under cold-water. they are alternatives i got from the hospital anyway. i feel down so will more than likely try the elastic band thing tonight.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    i really dont want to sound patronising but have you tried elastic bands on the wrist? i'm told that it hurts like fuck but wont leave marks like cutting.
    also ice-cubes and running you arm under cold-water. they are alternatives i got from the hospital anyway. i feel down so will more than likely try the elastic band thing tonight.

cold water i find really effective as hurts like hell
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »

It hurts. A LOT. You can be as aggessive as you like and it wont leave any type of permentant scarring, will be red for a few hours but will go down overnight. Ice cubes/cold water never really worked for me.
  • Options
    I do keep hearing about the elastic bands and the ice cubes but I've not tried either of them yet.

The only distraction that really works for me is sleep. I'm tired but I know if I sleep now, I'll be up at some stupid time tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    or cutting where your dad won't see
  • Options
    naps have worked for me in the past sofie as has reading a book, thesite is acting as a good distraction for me right now. do u find crying helps? with me it doesnt act as a release because i tense up and it grows into something bigger like inevitable self harm, im not sure if that would do anything for you? some people it does
  • Options
    Crying has only sone something for me once.
  • Options
    crying can make it worse-do what you think will help you-write, listen to music do watever make syou feel better
  • Options
    Im sorry.
  • Options
    Insecure days are a normal thing. You just need to find a way too make yourself feel better. Its very easy to be your own worst enemy when your having a bad day.
  • Options
  • Options
    take care of yourself johnny-remember you matter too
  • Options
    bas day?fu ck im havin a bad week month year life!!im frustrated confused alone,cant even make sense of my own thou's just know its gonna be a long night.
  • Options
    crying can make it worse-do what you think will help you-write, listen to music do watever make syou feel better

The only thing that I really want to do (and will make me feel better) is cut myself. However, I know this isn't a good idea.:(
  • Options
    hiya, feeling really crap...just cut myself for the most stupid reson...because i promised myself i would....so feeling guilty AND crap about cutting myself for no reason. and then posting like an idiot
  • Options
    yeah, nobody cares....man i just wish i had someone to talk to...someone i could tell everything to....i'd be so happy with that..someonw who understands ....that's be the greatest thing i wouldnt feel upset - or as upset as i am now andwouldnt feel as numb or as crap or as disgruntled with everything...i cant even fucking cry....just wish something would happen
  • Options
    hazell wrote: »
    yeah, nobody cares....man i just wish i had someone to talk to...someone i could tell everything to....i'd be so happy with that..someonw who understands ....that's be the greatest thing i wouldnt feel upset - or as upset as i am now andwouldnt feel as numb or as crap or as disgruntled with everything...i cant even fucking cry....just wish something would happen

sorry ive not got any answers or i cant even say id understand but id try,just i know what its like to want sum1 to hear you to listen to you,if any time you wanna talk im hear,anyways tc.
  • Options
    rubbish.
  • Options
    I gave in last night.:(
  • Options
    its started on my face
  • Options
    Rachael is your mum there with you now?
  • Options
    upstairs, she keeps coming in and bringing me chicken soup and doing everything she can and i feel terrible about, i cut myself this morning and it felt almost better than my arm and i have a feeling i will do it later, im wearing elastic bands as we speak on my wrists but that just feels silly.
  • Options
    Would it be possible for you and her to just go out the house for a couple of hours 0 to go for a stroll in the local park or something just to get away from any sharp things for a while?

Don't feel silly about the elastic bands either. They do help eventually.
  • Options
    i dont mean to make excuses but my legs feel wobbly, i dont know if it's the pills or what, my mum has offered to take me out so i might later but i feel too down
  • Options
    You're not making excuses. If your legs feel wobbly then they do. It's understandable that you feel down right now but just think that even though you feel down right now you may feel so much better after a trip out with your mum. You don't know until you try it. It's just that initial getting yourself to do something to distract yourself stage which is hard.
  • Options
    i may do later, i think the crying in public and looking like a headcase is going to bother me
  • Options
    The easy reply to that would be to go somewhere that's not public. But I realise it's not always so easy. If you don't feel up to going out could you try ringing samaritans or the self harm alliance? I've found that both these organisations have been very helpful in the past.

EDIT: Sorry just went on the self harm alliance website and didn't realise they had shut down as it's been a while since I contacted them... but samaritans are very good to talk to.
  • Options
    my mum wrote me down the numbers and they are by my phone but i just know i will hang up and worry people
  • Options
    They are so used to people hanging up on them. They are well trained to know that if people hang up it's often because they can't find the words to say what's bothering them. When I rang them there were long periods when I couldn't find the right words and I would just be silent but the lady on the phone kept on reassuring me that she was there and willing to listen to me and that made it slightly easier

If you feel that it would help ask your mum to ring initially to talk to the advisor and explain that you are worried about hanging up but that if you do then she is there and so they have no need to worry. Your mum could then go out the room and leave you to talk.... just a suggestion
  • Options
    i told the people that were here this morning that i couldnt go on but they didnt believe me, i told them how i thought about ending it and their first suggestion was to come back in a week's time. i told them i wont be here in a week.