Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shadow and hyper person, I've sent you both PM's. Please please listen when i say that negative thinking leads to acting negatively, which again leads to more negative thinking, and it goes round in a viscious cycle. Trust me. Try and think more positively. I know it may be hard for you to think you have anything going for you, but if you look hard enough you'll see that you have. For one, you're both incredibly good at helping each other, and other people. I think you need to take each others advice.

Only you can change the way things are. I understand its hard, and at times it may seem like its too much. But its sorta like riding a bike. You might fall down, but you wont make it if you stay down, you have to get back on and try again. I know how hard it can be, as i myself find myself feeling depressed a lot. But recently ive tried changing the way i feel and i can see the difference it makes. Its worth a shot isnt it? Take care x x x
  • Options
    shadow wrote: »
    I just feel worse today. But never mind. Got the whole day/house to myself tomorrow most of the day. Thanks Jelly Tots. xxxxx

You should make the most to having time that you can just spend on you. Perhaps get up early, have brekkie, and poper chill out. Watch some good movies and really indulge in making time for yourself x x x
  • Options
    I just feel worse today. But never mind. Got the whole day/house to myself tomorrow most of the day. Thanks Jelly Tots. xxxxx

Watch Happy Feet, just seen it myself and to be honest if it doesn't cheer you up nothing will :D

Just try be proactive with your free day, do something you enjoy and so on. Don't sleep till 2pm then wake up and mope about the place that will just make you feel worse.
  • Options
    red88 wrote: »
    Watch Happy Feet,

Whats Happy Feet ?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Whats Happy Feet ?

The film about the singing and dancing penguins :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366548/
  • Options
    The film about the singing and dancing penguins :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366548/

Ah yeah, I'm with you.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose :D
  • Options
    Heh, don't knock it until you've seen it :P

I thought it was going to be crap but it's actually quite good for what it is. Anyways im going off topic, as said shadow try make something of your day off instead of letting it pass you by.
  • Options
    Anyways im going off topic, as said shadow try make something of your day off instead of letting it pass you by.

Agreed. Set yourself a goal. It could be making the first steps about joining a club or society. But set a goal for the day and put yourself out to achieve it. Psychologically once you start achieving your goals you will begin to feel much better.
  • Options
    I'm clinically depressed and I've been on anti-depressants for a few months now. 3 days ago things got really bad and I stabbed my arm with a kitchen knife. A few hours later I was found unconscious and taken to hospital. I am physically OK now but now everyone knows. As if I didn't have enough problems already. I already tried to kill myself once but I didn't know what I was doing and screwed it up. My life has been a failure basically. I have zero self confidence left. The only thing that's kept me going this last year has been my best friend who is the most amazing person in the world but it's not fair on her and so i haven't told her everything. I think I have feelings for her as well but there's no chance and I already got my heart broken recently. I'm sorry for rambling. People don't realise just how bad depression can become. I feel dead inside, I hate myself. I wish there was a 'reset' button so I could start again.
  • Options
    Just read your post.

First of all *hugs*.

God it sounds like you've had a really tough time recently. I too have depression so i kinda know how you might be feeling. I understand its hard, but you have to keep fighting.

Just by coming on here, you've been stronger than you think. And now you have somewhere to post and speak to people. I wouldn't however, use just this place if you're feeling so down. Have you thought about speaking to a professional for help?

And as for your friend. If she's as good a friend as she sounds, she'll probably be more upset if you didn't speak to her. Honestly, friends want to help, but they can't if they don't know everything

Take care
    x x x

I'm clinically depressed and I've been on anti-depressants for a few months now. 3 days ago things got really bad and I stabbed my arm with a kitchen knife. A few hours later I was found unconscious and taken to hospital. I am physically OK now but now everyone knows. As if I didn't have enough problems already. I already tried to kill myself once but I didn't know what I was doing and screwed it up. My life has been a failure basically. I have zero self confidence left. The only thing that's kept me going this last year has been my best friend who is the most amazing person in the world but it's not fair on her and so i haven't told her everything. I think I have feelings for her as well but there's no chance and I already got my heart broken recently. I'm sorry for rambling. People don't realise just how bad depression can become. I feel dead inside, I hate myself. I wish there was a 'reset' button so I could start again.
  • Options
    Sorry but that is me moany shadow. But im very greatful for everyones support. jelly tots, hp, xsazx, calvin, redd88 and johnny boy thank you you lot.

No problem shadow. Anytime you wanna chat. you know where my pm box is ;)
  • Options
    Thing is though if i keep saying this il piss people of so much they wont want anything to do with me. But i just want to run away from everything and cry. Im fed up :mad:

Running away from things doesn't help. I know; I been there and bought the T-shirt.

I know its hard but you should think about joining some clubs or groups in order to meet new people. Sometimes the things that are best for us are the hardest. I'm sure it will be scary meeting new people and making new friends but in order for you to find any kind of happiness you need to start creating a life for yourself.

Think about the alternative...

Your going to have to go out and meet people sooner or later, you cant hide away forever. You have more than enough advice now from not just me but others on the boards. Its time to start using some of this advice and start making some effort to help yourself. Your the only one who can decide what you need at this time (counselor, friends etc) Work out what you want and set about getting it. But doing nothing isn't going to get you anywhere. The first step is understanding that.

:thumb:
  • Options
    shadow. hes got a point. your the one saying that you can do it and then you change your mind saying you can't do it.

*I know this might sound a little harsh but im just calling it how I see it*
  • Options
    Thats true but you need to do this in order for you to build your confidence. Start going out, even if it is by yourself. just to get used to it.

what are you afraid of?
  • Options
    the fear is understandable. but completely irrational.

You can't let things that have happened in the past change who you will be in the future. Its a very lonely life living indoors and having no mates. surely this makes you feel misersable and this is why your confidence is so low.

the trick is to take the risk, dont waste your life in a lone existance. your not gonna get beaten up if you leave the house. and being killed is far less likely.

Just get out there, its totally worth it.
  • Options
    Yeah, it is. but thats school for you. shit like that happens everyday. I know thats rough but its over now. forget about it. become a better person because of it.

You can do it yourself, you HAVE to do it yourself. no one else can do it for you. it sounds to me like you want to change everything so quick but it doesn't work that way.

try gradual changes like start saying hi to people, go places on your own and take it from there.
  • Options
    Well you just have to pace yourself. its not gonna happen overnight.

as for your SH: This is my view, theres no real point to it. yeah, you feel like shit one minute, you harm yourself and it relieves the pain but in a week when things are better you think "why the hell did I do this?" because it hurts and you have to hide it from people. it doesn't solve any long term problems.

You just need to talk to someone about how you feel. try a friend, parents or someone. don't walk around with it bottled up.
  • Options
    yeah I was gonna say, but johnny got there first: (just to expand)

don't look at it as the big overall task like you are doing, just take things very very small steps at a time. Tell yourself your gonna do 'xyz' task today and do it.. with shyness just small stuff like going to your nearest shop, buying something and saying "hi" and "thanks" or some random smalltalk to the person at the till... keep doing crap like that until it feels like second nature (which it eventually will), then just build on it- leave the stuff you feel the worst about until you feel a little more confident, dont jump in the deep end so to speak :p

Plus you need to stop this negative outlook stuff, noone is saying you're not trying, after all you probably have to try harder than a lot of people seeing as things that come naturally for some take more effort for others! If you go out just generally trying to 'help yourself' youll likely come back feeling shit because your goal of feeling better or whatever wontve been achieved. If you go out with a small task like being polite to a shopkeeper or chatting about the weather, then you can come back and know youve hit a target and made some progress.. obviously there will be some shit days and some good ones but you need to take them in your stride :)

if you aim for perfection you will always fail ;)
  • Options
    thats what you need to stop doing. apologising for being you.

granted, you feel like shit now but sitting around feeling bad for yourself changes nothing. in fact it only makes things worse.

Just be you.
  • Options
    you can't keep saying sorry forever.
  • Options
    nodody knows who they are when they are born...

you discover who you are from experience and through others... you can learn something about yourself even when you're 50 years old.

the more you get out and experience life, the more you will learn about who you really are :)
  • Options
    your not causing trouble lol... only by saying things like sorry when you really have no reason to :p

I guess getting a job or going to uni/college is the least intimidating way to meet people, cos in those situations people are expecting you to talk to people... also if you feel its really really dragging you down maybe see the doctor, can help lots to tell someone in person!
  • Options
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

agreed.

Shadow. if you keep sitting around feeling sorry for yourself then people will stop trying to help you. you need to actually take the advice being given and drop with the lame excuses. only then can you change.

sorry if that was harsh but its the honest truth.
  • Options
    I realise what you are saying but the way you put it makes it seem like i dont make any effort at all i have to say i find things that you say a bit harsh.. If you dont want to help dont that way you cant get annoyed.

Your going to have to deal with worse than my fair comments in real life Shadow. If you want to get better then draw up a plan of how your going to do it. But hiding away and refusing to help yourself will get you nowhere.

If your looking for someone to keep telling you your not daft, not a waste of time etc etc and tell you what you want to hear, your kidding yourself. People on the boards will bend over backwards to help, but you have to do your fair share.

:thumb:
  • Options
    the truth hurts.
  • Options
    ditto.

and your welcome by the way.
  • Options
    ditto.

and your welcome by the way.

:p
  • Options
    Why doesn't everyone just leave it now. Is it really worth gettin so irrate with each other?
  • Options
    look, im not trying to be mean. the reasons are valid. but you can't hide behind them forever.