Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    Kirsty,

I was just wondering how you are doing today and how the revision and stuff is going.

I am doing a lot better.:) Thankfully. I've got out of my rut and have only done one tiny cut since the 13th. Schools going alright, exams are stressful but im trying really hard and yeh..i'm doing ok . How about you? Hows things?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    I am doing a lot better.:) Thankfully. I've got out of my rut and have only done one tiny cut since the 13th. Schools going alright, exams are stressful but im trying really hard and yeh..i'm doing ok . How about you? Hows things?
    Yay. That's so good to hear :)

As for me... I'm fairly random. Up and down but never inbetween. I'm sleeping well on my new AD's but my mood is still low most of the time. As for self-harm I sometimes don't have the energy to do anything at all. But if I have the energy to get out of bed and do something then SH is my usual choice.
  • Options
    Yay. That's so good to hear :)

As for me... I'm fairly random. Up and down but never inbetween. I'm sleeping well on my new AD's but my mood is still low most of the time. As for self-harm I sometimes don't have the energy to do anything at all. But if I have the energy to get out of bed and do something then SH is my usual choice.

Well its good to hear you're sleeping better, sad that they're not working so well:( think about going back to Brazil! Things will improve :)
  • Options
    Well its good to hear you're sleeping better, sad that they're not working so well:( think about going back to Brazil! Things will improve :)
    Yep... trying to focus on going back to Brazil. I can't wait til August the 16th!
  • Options
    I can't hack it much longer. I know I'm just ranting but I seriously can't. Well, that's a lie I also know I probably will. I've tried to cut my wrists and it doesn't work so I've spent the last week trying to hide the cuts from my mother, let alone my friends. I can't strangle myself. Nothing damn well works and my mum's hidden all the painkillers. I can't work, and I can't concentrate. Most of all I can't talk to anyone because I'm not exactly the only one of my friends with exams. I just want to curl up in a ball and cry and never get up again.
  • Options
    *hugs* nothing much I can say that is useful, other than i'm a PM away if you wanna talk :)
  • Options
    Oh piccolo, sweetie, you can and will hack it. You are having a tough time of it at the moment and nasty exams and the stress of them always makes thing 10 zillion times worse but you will come out the other side OK. Plus you always have us to talk to, and what happened with seeking counselling? I can bet you your mates aren't exactly loving exams right now either so a chat to one of them may make you feel les alone in all of this.

Take care my dear, be strong

Hugs,

Susie x

If you need another ear these are all good people:

Careline
    Telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults on any issue, including relationships, depression, mental health, child abuse, bullying, rape and sexual assault, domestic violence, addictions, stress etc.
    Telephone: 020 8875 0500

SANELINE
    Offers practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems. The service is open from 12 noon until 2am.
    Telephone: 0845 767 8000

Samaritans
    Confidential help for anyone who is suicidal or despairing.
    Telephone: 08457 909090
    Email: jo@samaritans.org
  • Options
    I don't know what peoples feelings are about this, or if this has already been covered, but if you SI, do you think it is up to you to decide when to stop, or are you being selfish by continuing as this could hurt others who are close to you?
    I know I go on and on about my parents, but that's occupying the majority of my head at the moment (that and exams) and they have taken me to docs and psychiatrists and are watching me and treating me like a child because they found out i cut by reading my journal. Now they just won't leave the house and I want to be left on my own, I like being home alone, and are yelling at me and saying it's my fault mum's now going to go on anti depressents and stuff.. And when dad found out I couldnt remember anything from childhood he has changed his story and said mum didnt hit me, and made me feel like an attention seeking brat and i just dont know what to think.. but it's my body and if i dont choose to stop then i shouldnt be forced to, right? i expressed this opinion on ivillage and a mother told me i had a distinct lack of emotional immaturity, or a large amount of arrogance or something, for not accepting I have a problem.. and i DO accept it, just didn't want my parents to know about it, ever, and I havent cut for weeks anyway..
    I just needed to get that out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    Plus you always have us to talk to, and what happened with seeking counselling?
    I've been seeing a therapist for a couple of years. She thinks things are getting better so I have to trust her judgement, don't I? I was feeling a bit worse than usual when I wrote that, I'm sorry. I know I'm not on my own and I appreciate that. Thanks.
  • Options
    so many people have been telling me to get help, on here and my close friends to get help. and i can't because i'm too scared of the consequenses........so many people i know what become much worse when going for supossed "help".
  • Options
    Originally posted by luby
    so many people have been telling me to get help, on here and my close friends to get help. and i can't because i'm too scared of the consequenses........so many people i know what become much worse when going for supossed "help".
    You have to be prepared to feel worse to get better. You can't have counselling without facing the dark things that make you behave as you are. It's crap but it's true. Sorry.

The moral of that is, you have to focus on the outcome. I know this can't last forever, and that keeps me going. It's so hard to be positive but I know you can do it once you start.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I've been seeing a therapist for a couple of years. She thinks things are getting better so I have to trust her judgement, don't I? I was feeling a bit worse than usual when I wrote that, I'm sorry. I know I'm not on my own and I appreciate that. Thanks.

D'oh, I knew that

and you don't need to apologise

Take Care

S x

:)
  • Options
    No sooner said....

Just had an appointment with the therapist I've been seeing and she wants to stop seeing me in August. So I have three months left to sort my life out and I'm scared.

Edited to add that Mum decided now would be a good time to talk about everything. Why does it all happen at once? Grumble, grumble...
  • Options
    she wants to stop seeing me in August.
    Why?
  • Options
    Why?
    I'm actually not sure. She said it after we'd finished for the day so I didn't have a chance to ask.
  • Options
    I'm actually not sure. She said it after we'd finished for the day so I didn't have a chance to ask.
    Do you pay to see her?
  • Options
    Do you pay to see her?
    No. So if she wants to stop I guess I have to. I'll go back to my GP though and see if he can refer me on again.
  • Options
    No. So if she wants to stop I guess I have to. I'll go back to my GP though and see if he can refer me on again.
    Maybe it's because there is a set time limit or something. Or maybe it's because she thinks you're getting better.

I had a fixed time with my counsillor that I got through uni which was 6 weeks which was way to short to actually get anywhere... but I kind of thought that in any length of time with him I wouldn't get better as it was not very useful for me- it was general counsilling which is probably better for recent event triggered depression or very specific problems.

3 month is what... 12 sessions. You could still make some progress in that time. Don't feel that you have to have sorted your whole life out in this time... just make the most of it and then go back to your GP at the end if you still aren't better.
  • Options
    3 month is what... 12 sessions. You could still make some progress in that time. Don't feel that you have to have sorted your whole life out in this time... just make the most of it and then go back to your GP at the end if you still aren't better.
    It's actually going to end up being 3. One next month and two in August. I didn't intend to go back to my GP right now, but after nearly 2 years I don't think there's much I can do in 3 sessions.
  • Options
    It's actually going to end up being 3. One next month and two in August. I didn't intend to go back to my GP right now, but after nearly 2 years I don't think there's much I can do in 3 sessions.
    Oh ok. But if you are not getting better/ get worse you really should go back to your GP.
  • Options
    If you are on the NHS normally the treatment is restricted in time, to an extent at least. I've been seeing my therapist for nearly two years, and when I started going it was supposedly only for two years. I'm not actually sure what's going to happen after the summer, and if I try and bring it up it becomes a discussion about "what that means to me" :mad:
  • Options
    That sucks. If you were "physically" ill they wouldn't withdraw treatment until everything was ok.
  • Options
    Why is self-harm so addictive?

Why can't I stop?
  • Options
    Oh my god. I just did the positively most stupid thing ever. I thought I was getting better and I was on psyke.org and I looked at all the pictures. Now I feel physically sick with the need to cut. Fuck. I'm trying every distraction technique under the sun. But I cant shake it. :mad: *panics* [/end rant]

edited coz i missed words
  • Options
    Oh my god. I just did the positively most stupid thing ever. I thought I was getting better and I was on psyke.org and I looked at all the pictures. Now I feel physically sick with the need to cut. Fuck. I'm trying every distraction technique under the sun. But I cant shake it. :mad: *panics* [/end rant]

edited coz i missed words
    Well you don't need me to tell you not to look at things that trigger! But I guess that would make me a hypocrite to say the least.

I don't really know any good distraction methods to stop cutting. Except for maybe scalding but I don't know which is worse- and at the end of the day it's still self-harm.

I can't think of anything useful to say today.
  • Options
    I was on psyke.org
    I've just been on there but didn't have the guts to open any of the photos.

I have so many reasons to slice my thighs up right now that I don't need any additional inspiration.
  • Options
    I've just been on there but didn't have the guts to open any of the photos.

I have so many reasons to slice my thighs up right now that I don't need any additional inspiration.

I looked. And I wish I hadn't.

How can triggering pictures benefit a "support" site?
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Yeh Randomgirl I know it was stupid.Hope your ok. I really dont get what goes through my head sometimes. I didnt cut. I used every ounce of will power in my body. I do agrfee psyke is a very useful site, I just used the wrong stuff
  • Options
    *gone*