Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Because schools can be tricky places. I knew a teacher who found out a girl self-harmed and used to walk up to her in crowded corridors and pull her sleeves up to see if there were any fresh cuts. She obviously thought she was helping....
    :eek2: ok yeah. I'd lie too.

I don't lie to my GP but in a school situation I would. Not sure why I wrote that question actually as I used to do everything possible to cover my truths.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    It doesn't seem like you posted that seeking advice and sympathy, but you can have both...

Your doctor sounds like she doesn't understand. Find one who does. It's not difficult to see a different doctor at your surgery, so give someone else a try. You don't need to explain why you don't want to see your regular GP and you don't need to feel disloyal to your regular GP - you have to take care of you. I know you cut less these days, but it's still not good, so look after yourself. :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by piccolo
    It is scary, but don't beat yourself up about it. Can you phone your fiancé? Sometimes it's more comforting to hear a familiar voice than to chat online.

i phoned him and he was fantastic. i did cut though which i am so annoyed at. havent done that for over 4 months :(

never mind ... it all starts again now :)
  • Options
    Sounds like some people have had bad experiences with doctors or teachers etc. They're not all bad:) hope it goes ok for you :D
  • Options
    arg i just need a ranty bit... my work uniform is a short sleaved top. I have very pale skin and any imperfections are very obvious. I try to dress up with bracelets and pretty nail polish and other times i try to wear nothing seeing which way draws the least attention. But I see people stare, I see them look at me all oddly when I hand them the stuff to sign. I've even had someone ask if I had a new cat. It makes me all pissed off and stuff that I just want to cut more but I can't because I know it will just lead to more ackwardness and its just like this frustration thats building that I can't just let out because there is no way too. :S
  • Options
    :( hey my_name that sucks. Can you not at all ask to wear anything else? I understand how it can make you feel uncomfortable, I sat in my exam hall yesterday and took off my jacket and got the most appalled look ever. Makes you wanna cry. Hmm..not much good advice there sorry, just think about if you do cut, it will make it worse? sorry *useless*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    I understand how it can make you feel uncomfortable, I sat in my exam hall yesterday and took off my jacket and got the most appalled look ever. Makes you wanna cry.

Some people, I don't understand why they have to make a big deal of things. They can't just ignore it? Sometimes people don't know but if they do have an idea its not going to help at all by giving looks. :(
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by my_name
    Some people, I don't understand why they have to make a big deal of things. They can't just ignore it? Sometimes people don't know but if they do have an idea its not going to help at all by giving looks. :(

people are attracted to it as it is what makes you "different". i also see it in the way that people just, for some reason have to stare at a car crash. and it is stuff that is unfamiliar to alot of people too.

i know it is difficult but you have to remember that you are better than alot of them :)
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    I cut my arm really badly a few times over the last few days, and they are gaping quite nastily. My friend thinks they might need stitches or steristrips but the only chance I have to get it checked is to go to the school nurse. Since I'm 18, and I've technically left, she won't have to tell my parents will she? Hmmm think I'm just stressing because I don't want to show her.
  • Options
    I wouldn't think she'd have to tell your parents. You can also buy steri-strips at boots and places, I've done before. But if they're gaping best to see the nurse, good luck!
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    I wouldn't think she'd have to tell your parents. You can also buy steri-strips at boots and places, I've done before. But if they're gaping best to see the nurse, good luck!
    I did go, had a bit of a lecture (although she was being really nice). Are steristrips expensive? because that's all she used so if I could get hold of some it would save going back all the time.
  • Options
    I'm probably just fussing but I just went to change the dressing and one of the cuts is really yellow and pussy. I'm not used to having fairly deep cuts, and I don't usually cover them anyway so I'm not sure if this is ok. I know things sometimes just "weep" a bit to clean themselves but how do you know what's ok?

Sorry.
  • Options
    You can always call NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47

This article has some info too

Take care of you lovely,

Susie x
  • Options
    Hey Picc. nah the steristrips aren't very expensive. Well if its yellow and pussy and swollen and red clean in out with TCP or salt water or salvon wound wash, then cover it with a light melonin (sp?!) dressing and a very clean bandage. Should help keep the germs out. Hope you're K :)
  • Options
    Just have to vent a bit because I'm SO angry right now.
    I'm at uni, just finished my 1st year, i was meant to be staying in hall next year on the JCR Committee but a couple of days ago I got hauled in by 2 tutors who proceeded to have a go at me about how it wouldn't be fair on the new 1st years if they knew i was a self harmer and i had to change my behaviour and all sorts of other stuff. They said my friends only talk to me because they feel sorry for me because i cut myself. they said that i make people feel guilty and don't give them space (not true, i always respect people's space and i never go and talk to people for fear of disturbing/annoying them). I was meant to be having a room (JCR get to choose) on a particular floor which this tutor happens to live on and she basically said she didn't want me living on her floor.
    SO i've quit the JCR and have had to find a room in a house to live in. I won't know anyone there and although i couldn't possibly have stayed in hall after all the things they said, i'm so pissed off about the whole thing and the way they treated me.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    xapis

I'm sorry, your tutors said that? If they did say it in such an insensitive and irresponsible way you should complain to either your personal tutor, the head of your department or the welfare officer at your union. They need to be sensitive to your needs and issues, which they don't seem to be doing. If the situation wasn't actually that bad you may want to try talking to them rationally again, explaining your point of view and seeing if a compromise can be made.

That said living in a house could work out OK you could meet some cool people and feel more independent... talk to your accomodation office about things to look for and to get a housing list. Talk to someone close to you (or your GP/ cunsellor/ one of the helplines here or here ) to work out how you are feeling and so you have someone there for you while you go through such a big change.

Take care of you, and remember you can always come talk here

Susie x
  • Options
    If the tutors in your college said that, then you need to complain as far as up the University ladder as you can. Contact the Welfare Office or your students union, and contact your person tutor. Your problems do not have any impact on your ability to perform JCR duties, and anyone who tries to imply that they do can feel free to take a long walk off a short pier.

Your college will have a bullying and harassment policy, contact the bullying and harassment officer employed by your university or academic department and ensure that your complaint goes as high as it can.

If the people were students then you also need to contact the union and the bullying officer, as bullying and harassment is against the terms of most universities, and bullying is taken very seriously by universities. I know it is here in Durham.
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses.

My parents and my JCR President have both written letters of complaint to the Vice Chancellor of the university (the main man) on my behalf. Hopefully something will happen, if not my friends want to go to the student paper with the story! We'll see.

I've calmed down about it a bit now because I have to move on, but I'm still outraged and I really hope they don't get away with it.

Grrrrrrrr!
  • Options
    Calm down about it, but don't let it pass for the sake of a quiet life.

I would also write to the JCR President stating that your reisgnation was issued under duress, and that you wish to rescind it. By getting your role and responsibilities back you will piss the tutors off, and make them dig themselves further into the hole they ahve created for themselves. result!
  • Options
    I can't now cos i've left hall and there's no way anything can tempt me back to it. I can't really be on the JCR if I'm not living in hall and tbh i never want to have anything to do with the tutors again.
    At least in a way it's made me stronger I think. Plus I haven't cut for over 2 weeks now, and normally hearing all that stuff about what a bad person I am would have meant I'd do it for sure, but I wasn't going to give them that satisfaction so I managed to come through it without.
    Hopefully things will look up from now on.
  • Options
    I thought I was doing really well, I cut right down on making myself sick (not for 5 days) and I hadn't cut badly for a couple of days and then I totally lost it. I can't even remember what sparked it but I ended up cutting my wrists. It bled for ages but I didn't do any serious damage, but this seems to be what happens every time I try to stop cutting. I was looking through my diaries and it is a pattern - although it's not usually after 2 days, so I suspect that it has a bit to do with the fact that obviously I'm under a lot of stress with exams and stuff - and that's partly why I'm scared to stop.

This must sound so stupid but I feel completely stuck in a rut. I think I want to stop, but I don't know if I want to stop for me or for my friends. After all, when it comes down to it I'm not sure I really want to.

This is just a rant I'm sorry.
  • Options
    Piccolo, it doesn't sound stupid at all, it's understandable.

I've just been reading "The Scarred Soul" by Tracy Alderman and that had a really good chapter on wanting to stop or not. It's the first book i've read on self harm that I've really been able to relate to and I really would recommend it.
  • Options
    i feel like giving up totally on everything. i was happy tonight and one person said something and totally knocked me and made me totally insecure nd depressed.

i am not going to cut or anything like that because i wouldnt be able to deal with the scars and shit.

i just feel like breaking down, rolling up into a little ball and crying but i cant seem to cry it all builds up inside me and i haven't let it out in ages.

whats wrong with me i just want to be happy :(
  • Options
    i see it all the time, people cut themsleves and go around and brag about it, when it is done like that, call me rude and cold, but i dont' give a fuck, i am talking about the people who i know, the people who i see on the streets, the ones that cut their forearms

hi, yes i cut myself. And readin that, i realised that I have only ever cut around my wrists n my forearms. I do not want attention over my self-harming. Infact when people mention it, i do not like it at all. Sometimes people cut these areas cos they r the most easily accessible. When im in that frame of mind, i dont think, "oh where will be best to cut so that others dont see" or "where will it hurt the least or anything" :confused: . I just grab the first suitable object. Its werid cos I find that it doesnt even hurt when i get in that state. Only afterwards when I calm down, I feel a bit silly and embarrassed.

• Options
    Originally posted by obia100
    Its werid cos I find that it doesnt even hurt when i get in that state. Only afterwards when I calm down, I feel a bit silly and embarrassed.
    Don't worry a lot of people feel that. I know I do.

I'm pissed off 'cos I cut myself earlier, it had only been a few days but I had managed a short time clean of it. And it was worse than ever before, it's deeper than I ever intended. It hurts aside from anything and I hate myself for it. It won't heal before I go to India. I can see it causing real problems if I'm not careful. Dammit.
  • Options
    obia100, I would warn you that the regulars don't like over-use of colours. Just to save you from a flaming later.

I have to say that when I cut I was quite deliberate about where I cut so that it couldn't be seen normally, because I was so determined to not talk to anyone about my depression.

A lot of people don't care where they cut, and just cut the first place they come to- often the wrists and arms. people who cut there often aren't attention-seekers; personally I can spot an attention-seeker a mile off. They can't wait to show you their new cuts, in a coy way.

Though even if people cut for the attention, I firmly believe that it is a sign of deep unhappiness- just not the unhappiness they are trying to claim.