Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *gone*
  • Options
    I cut my wrist and forearms because i can see them. I cover them up when I'm out, but when im standing in my room in a t-shirt i can look down at them and say to myself yes i can do that, but i dont need to. the whole clarity in chaos thing.
  • Options
    I cut my forearms because they're the bits that are easiest to get to. I'm not thinking about what I'm doing when I'm doing it, it doesn't seem to occur to me at the time how difficult it will be to hide, that's just the easiest available skin and also the easiest skin to cut. I don't do it for attention, I cover them up as much as I can, though recently I've been braver in wearing short sleeves sometimes as it's hot, though I don't have any super new cuts, I would never wear short sleeves if I had them.
  • Options
    I started cutting on my leg because it was the worst thing I'd ever done and to have anybody see it would be just rotten. I knew I could easily cover it up with my soccer uniform and besides that I never wore shorts. Then I started cutting on my forearm. I could see the veins so easily and it was just too tempting. I went so long wearing long sleeves, I still do. It can be 90 degrees outside and I'll still be walking around in my jacket. Recetly I've tried back on my leg because its easier to hide but there is no release from it. What I was trying to gain from it didn't come. So I just gave up on that area.

But in the mornings I work with kids. 8 year olds mainly. Halfway thru that work time the kids have snack and go out to the playground. I have to go out and suprevise there also. The kids want to play tag and soccer and piggy back rides and everything else. The weather is hot and I get hot and I just die wearing my jacket. One day I just wore a long sleeved top and pulled up the sleeves when I was outside. Kids that play with you and look up to you are so impresionable. From the day they became keen on me so many of them would tell me how they want to get pierced and tattoos just like mine, how when they were old enough they wanted stuff just like what I had. A few of them saw my arm and of course they went around trying to get other kids to see no matter how hard I tried to keep my sleeves down and arms out of view. I had probably 5 kids that day tell me how when they are my age they want to do that too. I don't know why or what was going thru their heads but it was the most heartbreaking in the world to hear. I couldn't believe my ears. I wanted to just cry and yell at them no and everything else. That was just beyond the worst feeling I had had in a while. I feel bad and down so much but that just surpassed them all. I felt like I had done them wrong. I didn't know what to think and still don't about that. I know that they won't. Give it a week and they will forget that they ever even saw it. But at the time it was just horrifying Sorry... just had to get that out :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    Recetly I've tried back on my leg because its easier to hide but there is no release from it.
    That's what I was trying to express. It's so odd though because I can't find any reason for that!

I'm scared because I leave for India tonight and I think everyone will end up seeing my arm because I'll be in such close quarters with them all, day in day out. Also I am going to have no choice but to stop for the whole time I'm there. It's only three weeks but it scares me! Is that so silly?
  • Options
    it's been 4 months now since i last cut and now and again i get craving to cut...that release......i stop myself and go write it out or draw it out but it's still there. and right now i'm doing so much to try and not go back....i sometimes get this pain around my heart like it wants to be set free, cut out, and i have to supress it. after a few hours/days/ maybe a week or so it goes. i feel like me going back to england is running away from my current situation, and in a way i am.....it's will hurt more if i stay though. i am coming back but even going to england scares me. i get SAD (sesonal affective dissorder) very easily even here, and i get it in summer to when there is no rain......i feel like i need a release...and i don't know how to...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by my_name
    Recetly I've tried back on my leg because its easier to hide but there is no release from it. What I was trying to gain from it didn't come. So I just gave up on that area.

i oculd never do it anywhere apart from my legs. i have done it on my wrists and forearms but it would never get as deep as if i did it on my thighs. i suppose it is all part of the routine that you go through and the processes that you go through whenever you do self harm. its familiarity. or something ... *its got me thinking now*
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    it's been 4 months now since i last cut and now and again i get craving to cut...that release......i stop myself and go write it out or draw it out but it's still there. and right now i'm doing so much to try and not go back....

thats really good though ... keep at it :) and if you do give in to temptation then dont worry, 4 months is a long time. next time aim for 5 months cutting free.
  • Options
    I think familiarity has quite a bit to do with it- you expect it to only work on place x, so if you cut on place y it doesn't work because you don't expect it to.

It all ties in with my theory that cutting is an addiction, and quite often it is actually a psychological addiction. I think it was for me- the act of destruction was the relief, not the pain. because for me, at least, there wasn't much pain, not after a little while anyway.

And 4 months is a long time. Just take every day as it comes. It is hard because, like any addiction, you think you NEED to do it, so you are more tempted to do it. And if all you can think about is how you mustn't, it makes the temptation even stronger.

I haven't cut for about 26 months now. Even now I sometimes have the temptation, but it isn't so strong anymore. Having temptation is fine, and even succumbing to it is. I've almost done it, quite recently, but when I had the blade in my hand I just couldn't press down.
  • Options
    do you know what i find really, excrutiatingly difficult? trying to explain about depression and self harm to someone who has never really come across it before. i have been trying to explain it all to dave as i think it is important that he understands and also because he wants to understand. however, no matter how i try and explain it he just doesnt seem to understand. maybe it is because i dont understand it myself.

for me, things have been very much in a cycle. i was really ill 2 summers ago and then, slowly with the help of my doctor and other people i got better. now, it feels very similar to how it was and i cant get dave to understand that sometimes. im at a bit of a loss here and sometimes i just dont know what to do.

the last time i cut myself was about 6/7 weeks ago. even then it was the first time this year. and when i did cut it was sore. it actually hurt for the first time ever. i dont know why that was tbh. however, now the razor blades that i use are just staring me in the face and i dont know what to do. i really sometimes feel the need/urge to cut but dave would be so disappointed in me. however, the longer i dont do it the deeper i seem to be going.

sorry if any of that was triggering, i just had to get that off my chest.
  • Options
    I really want to cut and do stupid amounts of damage:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

:no: you don't. Not really. You're better than that. And you've come so far.

*passes you a chocolate bar*

Seriously Kermit you've gone so long, even if you did cut it wouldn't change the fact that you've done so well and worked your arse of to keep cut-free. And you shouldn't want to hurt yourself because you rock :)
  • Options

*hugs* is there any particular reason why you want to do that?

you have done so very well so far to go 26 months cutting-free. these urges are normal, you have even said so yourself.

go out somewhere nice with ellie, go for a walk in the park, go somewhere with just the 2 of you, dont be alone.

if you wanna talk then feel free to PM me :)
  • Options
    gah I feel so crap right now, just been out for a drink no reason to feel bad but argh i hate it when I feel like this, I cant talk to any of my friends cause they dont know what i've done in the past and it just makes things wors when i have to pretend everything is ok, i'm home alone for 2 weeks ad i've promised my parents i wouldt do anything but i really dont know if i can keep that promise :(

sorry for ranting but i just had to get it out
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    gah I feel so crap right now, just been out for a drink no reason to feel bad but argh i hate it when I feel like this, I cant talk to any of my friends cause they dont know what i've done in the past and it just makes things wors when i have to pretend everything is ok, i'm home alone for 2 weeks ad i've promised my parents i wouldt do anything but i really dont know if i can keep that promise :(

sorry for ranting but i just had to get it out

what would you want to do?

you got anyone you can talk to at home? any friends?

*hugs* if you wanna talk then PM me :)
  • Options
    i want to do something bad so very much just now. it hurts so much and i keep thinking that if i cut then i will feel better. however, deep down i know it doesnt really work like that. however, i want to just feel something :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    i want to do something bad so very much just now. it hurts so much and i keep thinking that if i cut then i will feel better. however, deep down i know it doesnt really work like that. however, i want to just feel something :(

I hope the feeling has pased hon:(
  • Options
    I hope the feeling has pased hon:(

its not and its scary. i fell like a zombie. when dave left for work this morning i was in complete hysterical tears for no reason. i am so freaked just now :(
  • Options
    new here

im new here n iv been reading some of these msgs i also self harm myself been doing it 4 about 2-3 yrs there was n is a reason why but i havent really found the courage to tell anyone but then again when i feel really upset about it i hurt my self i just cant stop
  • Options
    It's just occurred to me that I've haven't made a single cut for a fortnight on monday. Is a good thing, or a bad thing, that i've only just realised?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    It's just occurred to me that I've haven't made a single cut for a fortnight on monday. Is a good thing, or a bad thing, that i've only just realised?

I think that it is a good thing because if you are thinking about it all the time then maybe you are more likely to cut since it is at the front of your mind?

Also I think that you get a bigger sense of accomplishment when you realise out of the blue that you've made a milestone than if you're counting down the hours to it. But that's just what I think.

And well done, 2 weeks is excellent :)
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    I spent three weeks on holiday wanting to cut but not being able to and I thought I could keep it up at home (I came back on Friday) but I can't.

It sucks. And since I've been away one of my friends found out what's been going on and he phoned me and sounded really upset and my other friend is upset that I didn't feel loads better after my holiday and I feel really bad that I've upset them but I can't just stop for them and I don't want to stop for me. It seems that no one who should be able to help (like my GP) could care less and all my friends are going away in October or before so I won't have anyone left.

I know this is a bit of a rant but I'm feeling really low and I don't know what to do any more.
  • Options
    Yeh I thought it was a good thing. Sometimes I've counted how many hours since my last cut, and I haven't done two weeks in a very very long time:)

Kate, stopping is something which comes from you, not then. It's not gonna happen all of a sudden, but it'll come. When you want it to. Hope you're ok, and did have a good holiday :) xxx
  • Options
    Eugh...it had been 7 weeks. Seven weeks of not even really wanting to do it that much at all.
    Yesterday I slipped up...not majorly but enough to not be able to continue counting how many days without. Now I'm trying really hard not to succumb to the urge to do it again. Since I've messed up once it's difficult not to see why I can't do it again, but I know if I do it today aswell then it'll be a slipperly slope back to where I was before 7 weeks ago, which isn't what I want at all...
    I'm so angry at myself for giving in especially as there wasn't really even a reason for it.
  • Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: cutting is an addiction.

Sometimes you can only go a few hours without doing it, sometimes you can go weeks. When things pick up you can go so long without doing it that you look back six months later and realise that, hey, you're not cutting any more. IT takles a lot of hard work to get to that stage, but even then sometimes the urge comes back. It did to me not very long ago.

Once you've broken the cycle of cutting it becomes too much effort though. or something stops you; once or twice I've dismantled the razor blade but when I've held it to my arm I just couldn't push down and do it.

Things get better, you've just got to be able to see that before they do.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I was going to start a thread for a quick rant but I'll put it here..

I hate it when people assume I've done it or going to do it.

Like I just said my arm hurts and then it's like oh why what have you done to it? or when I'm upset and I'm not allowed to be on my own 'just in case'

I haven't done it in aaages

i understand completely. i have sometimes cut myself by accident (paper cut or knife slipped etc) and if i do that then i am very careful about my choice of words. like, i dont go "ouch, i just cut myself" its more "oh no, i have cut myself by accident" i tend to put alot of emphasis on the "by accident" as if i dont then people presume that i did it on purpose.
  • Options
    Originally posted by swank
    *triggering content*

Trying to keep it hidden.
    I feel so alone right now and all I want to do is rip my arms to shreads. I know thats a bad idea becuase if nothing else its usmmer and I dont want fucked arms right now because my scars have faded enoiugh to give me the confidence to wear a t-shirt sometimes.
    Right now all I want to see is red slashes and blood drip...
    I feel like theres nowhere I can go "mad" on. small hidden cuts just aren't reducing my stress. I want to go crazy. maybe I already am.

*hugest hugs*

if you wanna talk then PM me. i hope the feeling has passed now.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: cutting is an addiction.

Sometimes you can only go a few hours without doing it, sometimes you can go weeks. When things pick up you can go so long without doing it that you look back six months later and realise that, hey, you're not cutting any more. IT takles a lot of hard work to get to that stage, but even then sometimes the urge comes back. It did to me not very long ago.

Once you've broken the cycle of cutting it becomes too much effort though. or something stops you; once or twice I've dismantled the razor blade but when I've held it to my arm I just couldn't push down and do it.

Things get better, you've just got to be able to see that before they do.

Yup, I know it's an addiction. One that I've managed to overcome for various periods of time before (up to 2 years). I know that succumbing to urges occasionally is bound to happen but when I know that I CAN go without it for 2 years it annoys me when I lose control for no reason.
    I know my personal cycle of self harm inside out now I guess and I know what stage I'm at and I just need to get through this period and then I should be okay for another couple of years, or maybe 3 this time. I'm hopeful. It's not the end of the world when I do slip up though, because like last week, I did it on both Saturday and Sunday but I haven't since, nor have I felt like it. I got it out of my system and now I can get on with my life.
    I've been taken off my anti-depressants and I feel great. I know I'm not depressed anymore, the cutting is just a left over remnant of the years I was. It'll take a while to get used to being okay without it. I know that.