Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I hate myself even more for trying but I can't talk to anyone about it

I know I'm not a "real" person, but you do have my email. If you want to talk get in touch, I'll respond.
  • Options
    I've found that I have a pattern when it comes to cutting, I always hit a low around september which slowly gets worse till about march and then I pick myself up and cut less. I know its not SAD but do you think you have a pattern when it comes to cutting? I find I am really obsessive with it.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    I've found that I have a pattern when it comes to cutting, I always hit a low around september which slowly gets worse till about march and then I pick myself up and cut less. I know its not SAD

It's probably not SAD itself, but the winter months are darker and so the sun doesn't release as many endorphins into the bloodstream. That could be enough for you to slip.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It's probably not SAD itself, but the winter months are darker and so the sun doesn't release as many endorphins into the bloodstream. That could be enough for you to slip.

ooo thats interesting i never knew that. I've been trying to target what it is coz this is the 3rd year its happened the same way:( but cutting patterns in general, i'm really obsessive with. Before i cut i know exactly how i want it to look, its strange but i always cut in the same place and to the same effect too.
  • Options
    When it's hot and sunny the sunlight creates endorphins in your bloodstream, it's why most people feel happier in the summer. Those endorphins could be the reason why you are happy enough to not cut in the summer, and why when that happiness goes you slip back.

I don't think it's that abnormal to kind of "plan" where you cut. And once you start cutting in one place I think it becomes the instinctive place to cut; when I've almost done it, I've gone back to where I always did it.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    My worst depressions have always been in the summer, oddly enough, although when I'm not in a depression I am happier in summer than winter. Got to love those endorphins.

The oddest thing about my summer depressions is that I can't ever sense the sunshine. I can feel the heat, but what I remember and what I feel is not the bright summer-ness, but a horrible blackness.

Sorry, just rambling.
  • Options
    Keep rambling if ya want ^^

Its weird I mean I have little bad spells everytime of year but its a general recurrence (god I cant spell) that every spetember I start to hit a downer. Think it must be to do with going back to school, more pressure and stuff.

yeh see I always cut my lower arms, the tops of my legs and across my stomach. I only ever cut my left wrist. I'm such a predictable cutter.
  • Options
    Hello again, everyone!

Because you're such a lovely, helpful bunch of people (and I don't want to be flamed for starting another depression thread!), just thought I'd sound you out on summat.

As a few of you will know, I'm off to uni next week. I've been seeing a counsellor at home for a couple of years and in some ways I might as well not have, I'm just treading water. Things are still pretty bad so I guess I need to find another counsellor in London (should be easy!). I can't afford to pay so it'll have to be someone on the good ol' NHS - I'm seeing both my GP and my counsellor over the next couple of days, but I'd like to have some idea of where I want to be heading if they ask, does anyone have any ideas about different sorts of counselling that might be more helpful than "normal" talking counselling (I've been seeing a family therapist)? I considered asking either one or t'other about CBT specifically, does anyone have experience of that?

Also, my uni have sent me a form asking me to declare any disabilities or mental health problems - should I let them know I'm depressed? I'm a bit worried that if I take the form to my doctor he'll tell me I'm being a hypochondriac and that it won't affect my studies.

OK, that's enough from me. Thank you kindly!
    x
  • Options
    Fill in the form and declare that you are depressed, the form doesn't mean that you will need to declare any medical details but they will send you details of the welfare service and the disabilities service. I sometimes regret not doing it, especially seeing the freebies my deaf housemates got :lol:

If you're doctor says you're a hypochondriac then tell him to fuck off, basically. Depression can seriously impact on studies, it impacted on mine immensely, and it's always a good idea to let the university know as soon as possible if there are problems. I didn't, and only ever told them because I had a panic attack in the train station. Um.

I'd talk to your doctor about CBT, but you'll be waiting a long time for it on the NHS. To see any sort of therapist at the centre in Newcastle I was told eighteen months, and I was high priority, but luckily for me some jigging about found me a place in Durham.
  • Options
    Yeah I'd definitely declare it on that form. When I was filling out my uni forms I thought I was through everything so where we had to put 'P' for past or 'C' for current, I put 'P' for depression. It very quickly became the case that it was very much a 'C' still and in the end my GP at university wrote to my tutors and my hall etc so everyone knew anyway. I was a bit wary of this in the first place but I think it's better that they do know so that you can get the right support you need.

As with Kermit, I was told the waiting list was about 18 months for CBT in my university city and that there was no availability in my home town. Definitely bring it up with them though and see what the situation is like where you are and whether there's any chance...

Good luck!
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Hey piccolo

Do declare your depression on the form, it certainly won't be used against you and the better recorded your history in your student file, the more 'sympathetic' (for want of a more appropriate word) your course tutors will be if you struggle in any way with deadlines/ course work etc.

Remember that while you will be part of a large uni in a big city there is a lot of welfare support through the union and your student health centres. When you register with your GP ask about counselling facilities and what the waiting list is like for other forms of treatment.

Also make use of your student information officer/ tutor in your department on campus. Uni can be a stressful enough time for anyone, seek help as you need it rather than letting everything pile on top of you.

Finally remember we're always here

Take care of you

Susie xxx
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I spoke to my GP and it looks as though everything that needs doing will be sorted. :) My faith in the NHS is restored...
  • Options
    Originally posted by swank
    Some days I look at my scars and I can't believe what I've done to myself.
    This iso ne of those days.

swank, i totally know that feeling. i had one of those days today aswell. i was at work on the tills and had no customers so in my boredom i started thinking, and looking down at my scars (i had my short sleeved uniform shirt on) and almost cried there and then. i do this quite frequently though. eugh.
  • Options
    I feel weird for not caring really.

I see my scars and they are a part of me, a part of who I am. If you don't like it, then go and impale yourself on a pointy stick.
  • Options
    hi, im new here and to this really but i just wanted to let some stuff out, dont know where to start really, ive never thought of myself as being depressed, not even sure if that is what i am but over the last year or so now i've found myself thinkin about lots of things that happened when i was at school, i had never let it bother me much or at least i didnt think it bothered me. Thats what i thought at least, until a few weeks ago when i found myself on my own and started burning my arm, i didnt do it much but it felt good and have done it a couple of times since, ive been able to make excuses about it being from work but i know people are going to start getting suspicious soon as ive never had so many burns from "work" before.
    i dont want to get started in a circle of burning myself, but the way it made me feel when doing it was such a release of everything i was feeling, until afterwards, when i found myself feeling worse than i did before.
    sorry for ranting but i really have nobody to talk to about it.

well thanks i guess for taking the time to read this.

[sorry about the lack of punctuation before, dont know if this is any better, not really thinking straight at the minute]
  • Options
    First of all, please use punctuation. Please please please, I could barely understand that. You can edit it using the "edit" button.

Secondly, it's very brave to come onto a message board and say this, even though the board are anonymous it still takes courage. Well done.

Sometimes the effects of bullying and trauma get buried very deeply, and it takes a long time for them to come out again. Maybe this is what has happened this time.

What made you start burning yourself? I doubt the idea came out of thin air, what did you expect to achieve from it? How long did you think about it before you did it?

If you are harming yourself you need to go and visit your GP< and tal;k to them about the options available to you. It is a very difficult thing to do, it takes a lot of courage, but the help is available if you look for it.
  • Options
    The burning started after I accidentally burned myself at work, as strange as I know that sounds. I was feeling pretty bad one day at work and wasn't really paying much attention to what I was doing and caught my arm on an oven. Yeah it hurt but the relief I felt just made me feel better, I guess I just started enjoying the way it made me forget about things.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I feel weird for not caring really.

I see my scars and they are a part of me, a part of who I am. If you don't like it, then go and impale yourself on a pointy stick.

yeah, i want to go there and to think like that. i just feel that i can't, because it's still something i try to hide - in all senses of the word. it just seems such an enormous step to say 'this is who i am and this what i've done'. because it's just something i don't feel able to deal with, too many questions and people thinking what the hell. i just want to skip to the part where people know and it's been dealt with.
  • Options
    I hope it's one of the stages to recovery really. I haven't cut for two and a half years (and counting) now, the scars are healed (though I didn't keep my cuts or blades clean so some of scars are quite terrible) and I don't care what people think of it.

It will only hurt when my children ask "daddy, how dod you get those scars?"
  • Options
    I let my friend film me today for a media documentary she's doing on self-harm. It was so much harder than I thought:( I really wish I hadn't agreed to it. It was faceless and everythign but just so so ahrd.Anyone else ever found this?
  • Options
    so you let her film you whilst you were cutting yourself?
  • Options
    not actually cutting but talking about it and stuff. my arm was bleeding at the time but thats coz i cut a few days ago. it was just really hard talking about and sitting there with my sleeves rolled up and stuff. i know its stupid
  • Options
    It was probably hard for you because you might feel insecure about people knowing your voice or recognising different aspects of your body?
  • Options
    Originally posted by ice-babe
    It was probably hard for you because you might feel insecure about people knowing your voice or recognising different aspects of your body?

Yeh i guess so. She's promised I will see before anyone else does though so at leat i can say if im really paranoid. I dunno I think it was more just talking about. I've havent talked about it in that much depth with anyone since i started 3 years ago. it was so much harder than i thought. explianin why and how i do it and all that.
  • Options
    It's because people who are depressed don't open much (well that's what I think) and I wouldn't be able to do what you've just done and to have your sleeves rolled up so weldone :)
  • Options
    I've met a woman over the Internet who harms herself. She's a university student, studying a Music course. I want to meet her one day, so I can talk further. We talk via e-mail, text messaging and, occasionally, on the phone. I think that what self-harmers and depressed people need is someone to talk to, someone that cares.