Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know what you mean. I just need someone to hug me and tell me it's all right some times but no one does. The only person who lets me talk about it doesn't really understand and when I do end up talking to her I often end up in floods of tears but she doesn't seem to know how to handle it and just sits looking awkward. I really appreciate that she tries to help me, though, don't get me wrong.
  • Options
    People don't know how to help unless they're suffering too. I don't know if the pain gives people more perception or something, but unless you're in pain it's hard to he;p well.

I have lost the ability to console people as well as I've got better.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I have lost the ability to console people as well as I've got better.

how? surely as you have gotten better you are more understanding of people in similar situations. i'd've thought that would make it easier to console people.
  • Options
    I'm understanding, but not as empathetic. I always say the wrong thing now.
  • Options
    it's been 6 months now, and tonight i'm in serious need of a release. i was smoking so much pot in englnad i would pass out. but i can't do that back here. i'm in serious need of something, my head feels like it's gonna blow. last night i when lyric mad an wrote it all out. tonight i jus feel totaly hopeless, like there's never gonna be an end to this pain. it jsut seems to add up and build and then subside a little when i get high...staying like that for maybe a day or so. but then i just freaked out and just become totaly unable to cope. i'm going to see my counsilor again on monday. hopefully i can arange something more permenant with her this time, but with school starting soon- i really don't know how to cope with it- i'm stressing out about being able to continue. i feel like there is little hope left in this world for me...

right now i just feel like i need someone to tell me that they love me, and to hold me tight and not let go...
  • Options
    Hey, im new here.

havent read all this, but read a few pages.

It is worrying how many people have depression.
    There is a difference between feeling depressed and having clinical depression though.
    I SI too:rolleyes:

Theres just so much to this illness that is impossible to explain and make anyone understand unless theyve been here.

why why why?

:confused:
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    so ur saying u connected with her?
  • Options
    I'm 14 and I'm a cutter. It's not something that I'm exactly proud of but I don't really care what others think. I do care about my friends...I hide my cuts around them because I don't want them to realize how much pain I'm going through. I don't want anyone's self pity. But sometimes I do feel as though I'm reaching out...sometimes I'll let my cuts show...so maybe someone will ask. Maybe someone will care, maybe someone will help me. Most of the time though, it doesn't matter to me. The cutting helps me release pain. All the pain bottled up inside of me just leaves my body through the cuts. I don't feel the slightest pain when I do cut. It doesn't hurt me at all...it actually feels good because I'm letting everything go. When I look at my cuts later on, I can't help but to cry. At the time it seems like the perfect thing to do. But later I seem to be ashamed of myself. So really..I'm not sure how I feel about any of this...I just know that I cut, but I dont want to become addicted to this disease.:confused:
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Painless
    I'm 14 and I'm a cutter. It's not something that I'm exactly proud of but I don't really care what others think. I do care about my friends...I hide my cuts around them because I don't want them to realize how much pain I'm going through. I don't want anyone's self pity. But sometimes I do feel as though I'm reaching out...sometimes I'll let my cuts show...so maybe someone will ask. Maybe someone will care, maybe someone will help me. Most of the time though, it doesn't matter to me. The cutting helps me release pain. All the pain bottled up inside of me just leaves my body through the cuts. I don't feel the slightest pain when I do cut. It doesn't hurt me at all...it actually feels good because I'm letting everything go. When I look at my cuts later on, I can't help but to cry. At the time it seems like the perfect thing to do. But later I seem to be ashamed of myself. So really..I'm not sure how I feel about any of this...I just know that I cut, but I dont want to become addicted to this disease.:confused:

:eek2: Disease?!
  • Options
    It's like a disease to me. Some kind of illness that I can't control. Something that I haven't yet found the cure for. It just seemed like the perfect word.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Painless
    It's like a disease to me. Some kind of illness that I can't control. Something that I haven't yet found the cure for. It just seemed like the perfect word.

Fair enough, if that's how you see it, just seemed like a strange way to put it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    Fair enough, if that's how you see it, just seemed like a strange way to put it.

Not really. It makes perfect sense to me.

Painless, it's really good that you don't want to become addicted, and it's really goopd that you can see that there is a way out, and it doesn't need to be like this. You don't need to find the way out by yourself, it's alright to need other people to help you.

I would highly recommend visiting a doctor or a counsellor at your school or college, should you have one there, and talking things through with them. It's something that you can get over, I've managed it and two years ago I was suicidal, but you do need other people to help you and it's good to recognise this and ask for it.

Instead of hinting at people noticing, you should try and grab the bull by the horns and seek help yourself. It is a very frightening and daunting prospect, but it's the road down which the way out lies.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Madgal99

why do you think it is a strange way to put it? how would you describe it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Not really. It makes perfect sense to me.

Painless, it's really good that you don't want to become addicted, and it's really goopd that you can see that there is a way out, and it doesn't need to be like this. You don't need to find the way out by yourself, it's alright to need other people to help you.

I would highly recommend visiting a doctor or a counsellor at your school or college, should you have one there, and talking things through with them. It's something that you can get over, I've managed it and two years ago I was suicidal, but you do need other people to help you and it's good to recognise this and ask for it.

Instead of hinting at people noticing, you should try and grab the bull by the horns and seek help yourself. It is a very frightening and daunting prospect, but it's the road down which the way out lies.

That's fine if it makes perfect sense to you, it just isn't how I think of self-harm.
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    why do you think it is a strange way to put it? how would you describe it?

I don't know how I'd describe it to be honest but disease just seemed like a nasty way to put it, I don't mean to offend anyone.

dis·ease
    n.
    1. A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.
    2. A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.
    3. Obsolete. Lack of ease; trouble.

Ok, I retract whatever I said about it being a weird way to put it. It's a good way of describing self harm really, I'd just never really seen it that way.
  • Options
    today i am feeling extremely triggery. i had a bad weekend and today i got a letter telling me things i didnt want to hear. now i am on my own, trying hard to keep myself occupied but struggling.

i hate feeling like this and i hate feeling that in order to make myself feel slightly better that i need to attack myself with a razor blade.
  • Options
    The only thing I can suggest is to call someone or distract yourself. Beat up a pillow? Please try and make self-harm a last resort!

I wish I could say something more helpful. Sorry.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    The only thing I can suggest is to call someone or distract yourself. Beat up a pillow? Please try and make self-harm a last resort!

I wish I could say something more helpful. Sorry.

thank you :)

think i shall go for a walk to clear my head. it just gets frustrating sometimes as its the only coping method that i know and i know that it isnt the best one to employ (if that makes sense)
  • Options
    me too
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    it just gets frustrating sometimes as its the only coping method that i know and i know that it isnt the best one to employ (if that makes sense)

If you want to hurt yourself hold an ice cube in the crook of your elbow, or dribble some candle wax on your arm (red wax is cathartic, I find).

It's what I do.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Originally posted by swank
    I don't really agree with the candel wax "coping method" becuase its not, your still hurting yourself. On the other hand its better than more extreme versions of SI eg cutting burning etc.

It's not something that should be done for shits n giggles, of course not.

The ice cube fucking hurts too, for the record.

If one has to hurt oneself, at least do it in a way that won't cause long-term damage.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    2 months down the fucking drain :(

Two months less scarring.

Think of the positives.
  • Options
    I just feel so useless. Can't even take my emotions properly. I don't like going back.

So you fell off the wagon?

Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and climb back on. Take the knock on the chin, and don't wallow in self pity and go on to do it again and again.

It's a very difficult addiction to break, we all fall off the wagon every so often. I have done, and I've been lucky to have not fallen off for two years since.

Work out what triggered it and deal with it. "Not being able to cope" is not a reason to hate oneself; losing hope is.
  • Options
    il wake up in the morning and wonder why.

Everyone does.

It's better than any alternative. Death isn't a way out because I wouldn't be able to enjoy the lack of sorrow. I'd be dead.

Hm.
  • Options
    I really messed up this weekend. I've been feeling hopeless and having some really low patches for a while and I decided on Sunday that it was too late and it was too tough to keep fighting and I tried to cut my wrists. I hate myself even more for trying but I can't talk to anyone about it and I'm scared that I'll hit another rough patch and do it again. I know this must sound so stupid but I needed to tell someone. Sorry.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I really messed up this weekend. I've been feeling hopeless and having some really low patches for a while and I decided on Sunday that it was too late and it was too tough to keep fighting and I tried to cut my wrists. I hate myself even more for trying but I can't talk to anyone about it and I'm scared that I'll hit another rough patch and do it again. I know this must sound so stupid but I needed to tell someone. Sorry.

it doesnt sound stupid at all. and there is no need to apologize. everyone hits lows at some point in recovery, its normal.

i hope you feel a bit better now. if not then feel free to PM me :)

*hugs*
  • Options
    Lolliee - Concentrate on the fact that you made 2 months, not the fact that you broke. 2 months is great. Like Kermit says, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again. It's just back to the start of the cycle but it doesn't mean you failed. Nobody expects someone to stop an addiction just like that without slipups. Could you write down how bad you felt after you had done it and also how you felt the morning after and read it back next time you are triggered? Hope you feel better now :)

Piccolo - You sound very much like you need someone to talk to. Please talk to someone, anyone. Nothing you've said sounds stupid; just be careful, ok? Hope things are a little better now, take care. :)