Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    without the scars I wouldn't be who I am now.

see thats the way i feel. i'm trying to stop (again) and am showing my arms a bit, and if people ask i saw it something i'm getting over or something like that. Until i accepted that they will always be there i didnt have such an incentive to stop. Its a part of me, it shows what ive been through and hopefully what ive overcome.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    see thats the way i feel. i'm trying to stop (again) and am showing my arms a bit, and if people ask i saw it something i'm getting over or something like that. Until i accepted that they will always be there i didnt have such an incentive to stop. Its a part of me, it shows what ive been through and hopefully what ive overcome.
    I remember reading your posts when we first "met" in the online sense of the word. You have come so far. I'm really glad for you.

:)
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    You have to look at it from his point of view. He probably doesn't understand it, no, but it's hurting him seeing you hurt yourself. Other people who have been in this situation will probably have a better response. Sorry
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    It doesn't strictly mean he doesn't understand, though always be aware that unless he does it himself it's hard for him to fully understand.

My fiance says things like that sometimes, it's meant in the nicest possible way so you have to listen to the sentiment not the words, if that makes sense. Try and explain to him that it's an addiction, and that you need his help and so on, but please don't think he's being an uncaring bastard because he isn't.

It's not guilt-tripping, he's trying to give you an incentive to stop. Do it for him. It always comes across like a guilt-trip but it rarely is- think about how much it must hurt him to see the scars on your arm, and try and see it how he sees it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by swank
    I mean theres no way in hell I could manage for a month

Why not?

I'll do it for me when I tihnk I can cope. Whats the point in blocking off my only current coping method, meaning I'll be twice as depressed argue with everyone and at worst... sorry I'll shut up Im ranting.

It makes perfect sense.

A lot of people when faced with the possibility of having to do without their addiction become defensive and aggressive, I know I do and did. But it is perfectly possible to go a month without doing it, I've been stopped two years, but you are quite right- you ahve to want to. If you want to you won't count the days, you'll wake up and realise it's been a week, a month, a year. I barely realised it's been two years, until one time a week or so ago when I nearly cracked and went back, but if you don't want to stop every hour without the "coping" will seem like hell.

It's a bad idea to do it as a present, because all it will do is create bitterness and resentment, as you seem to realise and feel. See it from his point of view, but explain to him that it isn't something you can do.

I would, of course, also advise goign to see a doctor about your depressive problems, because you will be listened to and helped, but that, again, is something you can only do when you feel able to and want to.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Sorry I've been frequenting this thread lately to moan but I'm going to do it again...

The thing is, I did go see my GP (as I said I would) and she said it's all exam stress and made me feel really stupid. The thing is that I'm not sure that it is all about the exams. I'm just not myself at all, and I've done enough exams to know how I usually react to them. I told her all this but she doesn't believe me and now I don't know what to do.

I don't know what the point of that was. Sorry again!

Picc
    x
  • Options
    *sigh*

I wish I could say I was surprised piccolo hon. The exam stress probably isn't helping, did you talk to your doctor about getting a sicknote to get mitigating circumstances taken into account? BUt it's a problem I seem to be coming across more and more; the rise on SH as teen angst seems to be meaning that a lot of doctors take SH as just teen angst, and nothing more serious.

I would suggest making anotehr appointment to see another doctor, and just keep going until they listen. My opinion of doctors is not very high, and it's a big problem. Just keep nagging them.
  • Options
    Thanks, Kermit. I actually didn't have the guts to ask for a note for the exam boards, which was probably daft of me. I might try to have a word with my form tutor but without the support of a doctor I don't know that she can do much. To be honest, I got through my GCSEs when I wasn't well at all, and I got decent grades. Despite all this I can still work my ass off and the grades I need for uni should be achieveable for me.

Heck, if all else fails I can reapply in my gap year. It all sucks but I guess it's nothing I won't get through.
  • Options
    Aye, but there's no point getting lower grades than you deserve because of all the crap.

Two years ago at uni I got a doctor's letter, now I got a letter from my therapist; let's hope they actually do some good. Exams suck, I'm on the edge of cracking up too:(
  • Options
    Meh. I'm not kidding anyone, as much as i talk about how i can stop i've got stuck in a rut again.I've cut everyday for the past 3 weeks.I had to sew my wrist together. I'm such a mess. And my parents don't even care. They've threatened to kick me out if i fail my exams, so making me more stressed when they know i'm falling apart. I don't expect any responses coz i know how everyone feels due to my refusal to see my doctor, but i just wanted to rant.
  • Options
    Listen, much as I do think you should see your doctor, you must know that there is support for you hear. It's hard for most of us to be objective, especially in this particular thread where 99% of the posters have experience of s-h, but that doesn't mean we don't care. Things are hard for you, and if you ever need to vent you can do so here.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need a chat. Take care of you, and try to focus on these exams, they seem important. Any chance of taking the advice Kermit gave me, and having a chat with a tutor to get some support?
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Listen, much as I do think you should see your doctor, you must know that there is support for you hear. It's hard for most of us to be objective, especially in this particular thread where 99% of the posters have experience of s-h, but that doesn't mean we don't care. Things are hard for you, and if you ever need to vent you can do so here.

I know its just i come across very much as though i don't wanna help myself, and so many people have given me such good advice on here in the past. I do try and take it, it's just all so complicated.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need a chat. Take care of you, and try to focus on these exams, they seem important.
    Thanx.Yeh im homeless if i fuck up, like i always do.

Any chance of taking the advice Kermit gave me, and having a chat with a tutor to get some support?
    One of my subject teachers does know, and is very supportive, but i cant take that any further as my head of 6th form is very interfering with personal matters.That I know from past experience.
    :banghead: everythings just too fucking complicated and fucked up right now
  • Options
    Yeh im homeless if i fuck up, like i always do.
    Then the only answer is to work hard. There's no magic solution. Your parents are being unreasonable, yes, but if that's the line they're taking you'll have to make sure it doesn't happen. Perhaps before the results come out in August you should make sure you have somewhere lined up to stay just in case. Not being pessimistic, but you don't want to hit crisis point with nowhere to go.
  • Options
    Thanks :) my friends have all been really supportive and offered me houses. Not the same but they're all being so nice. Yeh i'm seeing it as an incentive. I just dont have the biggest self-confidence and i worry :( am working as hard as tho.
  • Options
    GG, I find the worry motivates me, after a certain time. I hope you do well- and do what YOU want, not what your parents want.
  • Options
    *May be triggering.

I'm curious as to what the main trigger for people is, that makes them start cutting?

For me it is the anger and the humiliation if I am abandoned, I just want to hurt myself to get the pain out, I wondered what it was for everyone else. Because, after all, everyone is unique :yes:
  • Options
    For me it is the anger and the humiliation if I am abandoned, I just want to hurt myself to get the pain out
    Yeah it's the same for me. Or sometimes sheer loneliness. I hate my own company, and if I'm left alone for long enough I really want to hurt myself. But that's only the case when I'm going through a really bad patch.
  • Options
    Hello again (sorry)

Slightly concerned that recently I've been getting muscle pain when I've been cutting myself. Does anyone know what this could be? Is it, for want of a better word, "normal"? I'm really wary of going to see my GP again, but I can't find anything on NHS Direct so if no one has any ideas I promise I will.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    *May be triggering.

I'm curious as to what the main trigger for people is, that makes them start cutting?

For me it is the anger and the humiliation if I am abandoned, I just want to hurt myself to get the pain out, I wondered what it was for everyone else. Because, after all, everyone is unique :yes:

there are many things that are triggering for me and i dont think i could put my finger on it exactly as it is not always that these things are triggering for me. feelings of rejection, not being wanted or loved sometimes makes me want to cut. asking for help sometimes triggers me. i hate asking for help doing anything and it makes me feel worthless and that i have failed. failure is a big thing for me, but not failing in uni or whatever. failing in life, making other people disappointed in me, being disappointed in myself. these are all things that i find triggering.
  • Options
    *May be triggering.

On a day-to-day basis it is usually when I have done something bad or made a minor mistake or embarrassed myself.

I feel I need to punish myself.

But in the beginning it was deep emotional pain and stuff that got me started.

Physical pain is easier to deal with than emotional pain.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl

spot on.
  • Options
    me and my mates were talking about it the other day and they agree that when some one cuts they are trying to transfer their emotionaly pain to physical pain to cope with...

but then again you will get pain and hurt from peers around you, but not as much.....

I haven't actually cut in a long time because I have reached the point of stopping caring for stuff so i don't get hurt which means i don't cut.....good hey?
  • Options
    For me i cut for so many different reasons. I cut myself because I hate myself, and i deserve to hurt, and be scarred. I have to punish myself. I cut because I can. When everythings going wrong and I'm messing everything up, I can always cut myself. And I don't mess it up. I cut myself because no matter how much people hurt me, I can always hurt myself more. As people have said the physical pain is so much easier to deal with than the emotional.

edited for typos
  • Options
    exactly what i was thinking. i no that i can hurt myself more aswell.
  • Options
    I cut myself because I hate myself, and i deserve to hurt, and be scarred. I have to punish myself. I cut because I can. When everythings going wrong and I'm messing everything up, I can always cut myself. And I don't mess it up. I cut myself because no matter how much people hurt me, I can always hurt myself more.
    That's how I feel too.

:)
  • Options
    Kirsty,

I was just wondering how you are doing today and how the revision and stuff is going.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Randomgirl

no better way to put it :)