Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It doesn't sound stupid piccolo, it makes perfect sense.

Two years is a long time, and it's become part of your life. Self-harming is an addiction like any other, and like with many addicts, there is a fear of giving up the addiction. It almost feels like you'll lose part of your personality, and stop being yourself.

When you're ready to stop you will stop, because you won't feel the ened to do it anymore. Talking to the doctor and trying to get therapy for it will help you reach this stage- I haven't cut for 22 months now, and therapy probably has quite a bit to do with it.
  • Options
    I have been seeing a therapist, for almost 18 months now. But it doesn't seem to be helping. I need to ask her loads of stuff about what we're doing / aiming to achieve but I keep wimping out. You've given me a new drive to do it tomorrow though... providing I manage to wake up in time for my appointment! Ta.
  • Options
    If you never go you can't get much out of it:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    does anybody know of any ways to get rid of scars besides cosmetic surgery? and not any type of "scar reducing" stuff. it works about as well as water. i've got extremly fair sensitive skin and scars over 2 years old are as visible as ones that are 2 weeks old.

scar treatments
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If you never go you can't get much out of it:p
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I do go, I just back out of saying what I need to sometimes because it feels like I'm being critical and I don't want to be.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I do go, I just back out of saying what I need to sometimes because it feels like I'm being critical and I don't want to be.

Heh. That is like, so me:(

I've been going two years, and it's fucking hard to be truly honest. Always have to fudge things in order to protect myself and/or every bugger else.

*sigh*
  • Options
    This is a bit of a weird post that i'm going to send. Last night was at one of my best mates an she decided we should be blood sisters. Seen blood brothers? We were fairly tipsy she was finding it hard to draw blood from herself an i did it pretty easily. Yet again stress her idea an she wanted to. Not self harm but blood sisters. I don't know I feel awful now though its something I do to myself which isn't a happy aspect really but being blood sisters is. It confuses me.
    Think we did it cause we will both be going to uni an it was away of feelin connected forever or something but aaaaa.

:(
  • Options
    Ignore that post it was silly over that now.
  • Options
    hey i don't think that was silly its a way of feeling together and i would do the same. so not silly at all! :wave: :p
    and i wouldn't class that as self harm.
    ~Anya
  • Options
    Just to say... I managed to be half-honest with my therapist today and feel better for it. Glad it's over, but as I say it's relaxed me, which is good, 'cos I've been stressed as anything these days.

Whilst I'm here, have any of you guys been on ads, come off them, and gone back on two years later? I think I could do with giving something else a try but put it off because I tried both Sertraline and Citalopram in the past and neither helped. Since both have now been banned for under-18s that could explain it, so I thought I should talk to my GP but I'm not 100% sure. Any ideas?

Incidentally, sorry if this seems the wrong place for this but didn't think it warranted a new thread.
  • Options
    If you feel ready to try again it is worth talking through your options with your GP, after all it doesn't mean you actually HAVE to take them, just that you have the information available to make a decision. Remember what aspects of your last ad's you didn't like, or in what ways it didn't help and discuss this too. There are many varieties so there is still a chance that something out there could help...

Keep on doing your talking therapy though, for that will be the most valuable to you.

Take care

Susie x
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm really not being very helpful at all, I have no words of advice or anything.

I would just like to say how shocked I am by how many people are on anti-depressants/self-harm.
  • Options
    Cheers, Susie. Think I will go see him (my GP, I mean), it's just a tad scary. But things keep going wrong and if that's what it takes to get me through my A Levels it must be done!
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I would just like to say how shocked I am by how many people are on anti-depressants/self-harm.

It's the internet, innit?

As for the ADs, I'm alarmed at how much doctors seem to hand them out like sweets, with no further thought. A friend was put on fluoxetine even though she said she felt nothing; putting someone who attempted suicide because she felt nothing on a drug that makes you feel nothing really was a masterstroke :thumb:
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I don't want to start a new thread (here I go again!) but I need to vent and you lot are so helpful...

I feel terrible and I don't know why. I'm really low, I can't stop crying, I feel pathetic. I walked out of a two and half hour exam in my best subject in floods because I couldn't understand a word on the paper. That's not me, I don't know what happened. I've been feeling suicidal again and I find it so hard to talk to "real" people (no offence! :p).

My friends want to help but I feel bad because whatever I tell them they fret or get upset. How can I do that when I care about them?

I don't mean this to sound flippant or melodramatic, I don't know how it sounds to other people, but I needed to get it off my chest. Anyhoo, I am going to see a GP (not my regular one) again at the request of my friends. They want me to be back on anti-depressants, but I'll talk it through with her I guess.

Sorry about this. Thanks all.
  • Options
    Hey, its good that you vented it out. I get just the same. I want to tell people but i don't want to worry them. For starters do any of your teachers/lecturers know? this might make things more managable at college. I think probably exam stress is making you feel down at the moment, try taking a step back from, e.g if you have to read over some notes, relax do it in the bath or with a friend. Sucks about the exam, talk to someone about it, maybe you can re-sit or something. Anyway i'm waffling, but maybe try to talk to one of your friends. If you explain it enough they might worry less, and im a PM away if you wanna chat. Kirsty x
  • Options
    If you are feeling very sad and very low, then ADs probably are the best bet, for the short term at least. If one didn't agree with you before tell the GP, and get him or her to try a different one; take Susie's advice basically:)

And whilst you are talking to your GP, talk to your university or college about your problems and see how you can go about getting dispensation. If a GP says that depression is affecting your performance then that would probably be enough to have your problems taken into account when the marking is done.
  • Options
    And whilst you are talking to your GP, talk to your university or college about your problems and see how you can go about getting dispensation. If a GP says that depression is affecting your performance then that would probably be enough to have your problems taken into account when the marking is done.
    Will do, cheers, hadn't thought of that.
  • Options
    I just wanted to add on another link that I think is a useful resource.

Channel 4 Self Harm
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Will do, cheers, hadn't thought of that.

Didn't think you would have.

There's no point in doing badly when you can ahve all the shit taken into account. I've had all mine taken into account, and am doing again; my uni have been great, I've had a lot fo problems doing formative essays and they've just said to not bother if I can't.
  • Options
    As I know depression is quite frankly shit! I was depressed for two years, and decided to just to cut one day (with a compass). I realised wow all my hurt and pain that has been building up inside me is excaping through these little cuts (they were little at that time). Well times got worse and I closed in no one understood me and no one still doesn't understand me, which I like to keep that way. Well at the beginning of this year I hit an all time low and lets just say I made friends with a razor blade. I will never forgive myself for how many scars I have on my arms and the word I carved in :( I am calling out to every one that does cut. PLEASE TRY YOUR HARDEST TO STOP CUTTING, it is not going to solve your problems and it will not stop the pain. Yes it will stop the pain for a couple of seconds but then it will come back and as for the problem that caused you to do it, it will be there aswell, so all you have gained is lifelong scars. I am not moaning at any one just to get up and stop because I know that it is not possible. It's such a hard thing to do. But people are there to help you and more people love you then you know (I learnt this when i tried jumping out of a window..........doesn't sound good does it.......please don't judge me) All I can say to people is I managed to get out of it and all of you will be able to aswell.
  • Options
    Naive and unhelpful comment number two:

What makes you start cutting in the first place. I mean, surely you know how bad it is before you do it, and have heard other people's stories. How does that first cut occur?
  • Options
    I'm not sure how the first cut occurs I suppose everything gets too much and you don't know what to do so you end up cutting
  • Options
    But surely a million thoughts cross your mind before "I'm going to make myself bleed" (only not like that, because that sounds really horrible and condescending, which is not my intention at all.).
  • Options
    I suppose it was the build up of events nothing else was working to take my miund off and my compass was sitting there to relieve pain i just cut
  • Options
    What makes you start cutting in the first place. I mean, surely you know how bad it is before you do it, and have heard other people's stories. How does that first cut occur?

The pain and the hatred makes it seem appealing; you know it;'s goingt o hurt, it's what the whole point of it is.

It's something that can only ever be explained to someone who has been there and done it; unless you have, it's impossible to explain the depth of feeling that causes it.

The pain is nice, the damage and destruction is nice, watching the blood trickle down your arm is nice. It works to get rid of pain and anger, and it works if you don't feel anything at all. But it is a very nice experience, and that is why it becomes an addiction that can be very difficult to break unless the feelings triggering it subside or disappear.
  • Options
    The pain and the hatred makes it seem appealing; you know it;'s goingt o hurt, it's what the whole point of it is.

It's something that can only ever be explained to someone who has been there and done it; unless you have, it's impossible to explain the depth of feeling that causes it.

The pain is nice, the damage and destruction is nice, watching the blood trickle down your arm is nice. It works to get rid of pain and anger, and it works if you don't feel anything at all. But it is a very nice experience, and that is why it becomes an addiction that can be very difficult to break unless the feelings triggering it subside or disappear.

hell you explained that well.

It is a lot easier to explain the way you are feeling and what emotions you go through and why you do it to someone who has felt it all themselves. Unless you've been there, you can't fully understand.
  • Options
    When i used to cut and people would ask me why i would say like oh just troubles and they were troubles. just they took it the wrong way and they didn't understand it properly
  • Options
    But surely a million thoughts cross your mind before "I'm going to make myself bleed" (only not like that, because that sounds really horrible and condescending, which is not my intention at all.).
    I just wanted to say that you don't come across as horrible or condescending. You come across as somebody trying to learn more and understand a problem that affects a lot of us.

Actually for me, nowadays I mean, I usually think of it first of all, before any more rational thoughts enter my mind. But in my early days of self-harm... not sure. I think about it all the time tho. Not about wanting to "make myself bleed" specifically, just wanting to feel physical pain as a form of punishment really. Sometimes I cut, sometimes I scald. The net result is much the same.
  • Options
    Originally posted by SupaStar
    hell you explained that well.

And I almost wish that I didn't have the experience to do that.

But so it goes- without the scars I wouldn't be who I am now.