Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by piccolo
    You know what? I can't take this any more. I have been cutting myself for years. I can't stop (or maybe I don't want to), but I can't go on. I have been starving myself and making myself sick by turns. I hate it. I hate smelling of vomit. I hate having to remember where the cuts are when I get dressed or consider taking my jacket off. I hate the fact that I can't tell my friends. I'll never forget the look on one of my close friend's fact about 8 months ago when I came out of the toilet and knew she'd caught me throwing up, so I can't let her find out. On one level I don't understand why she was so upset, but I know I can't be responsible for that again. Ever.

I don't think that was at all coherent but never mind.

*hugs* picc xx

ive had a really bad day today and ive messed up my tummy again :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by SupaStar
    *hugs* picc xx

ive had a really bad day today and ive messed up my tummy again :(
    Me too and my jeans are rubbing it hurts so much. :( *hugs back* It's horrid, isn't it? Thinking of you.
  • Options
    Me too and my jeans are rubbing it hurts so much. :( *hugs back* It's horrid, isn't it? Thinking of you.

you're gonna be ok hun. *hugs again* It's gonna get better.
  • Options
    I told my mum. She. Went. Mental. Before she came home Iwas so worried I did it again, but so much worse. And I hate it. It hurts to bend over, or sit down, or touch it or anything.

She's gonna talk to me about it tonight, and I'm so worried. She's gonna go mental at me again I know it.

:crying::(
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    I know, but like, I forget about them things when I'm as pissed off as I was :( It's like it fills my brain and nothing else can get in.

Bah.

*hug*

I was exactly the same, and now I haven't cut for approaching two years. The anger and the pain still takes over me quite often, but even though I have the urge to cut it doesn't seem worth it any more.

Much as I'm crap at therapy, it probably has done me a lot of good.

You can get over it, everyone can. Though it's very difficult.

The important thing to remember is that relapsing is not something to be ashamed of- everyone does it. Self-harming is an addiction like any other, and it doesn't make you a failure to be tempted by the addiction.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    *hug*

I was exactly the same, and now I haven't cut for approaching two years. The anger and the pain still takes over me quite often, but even though I have the urge to cut it doesn't seem worth it any more.

Much as I'm crap at therapy, it probably has done me a lot of good.

You can get over it, everyone can. Though it's very difficult.

The important thing to remember is that relapsing is not something to be ashamed of- everyone does it. Self-harming is an addiction like any other, and it doesn't make you a failure to be tempted by the addiction.

I'm not ASHAMED as such, just annoyed at it. Although I guess it doesn't help when you have people like Laura who go around thinking they know all about it when they haven't got a clue, and have never done it, and saying what I've said about why I do it and why I can't stop isn't true. Even though it's different for everyone I guess, and that is how I feel in MY HEAD.

Stupid blonde cow :rolleyes:

And I'm having The Talk with my mum tonight *worry* it will most probably include The Lecture. And I have to write a list of what I want to talk about. Yay *sigh*.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    And I'm having The Talk with my mum tonight *worry* it will most probably include The Lecture. And I have to write a list of what I want to talk about. Yay *sigh*.

hey good luck, even if it goes badly you're doing the right thing hun...*huggles*
  • Options
    Hey ive done the head bagging thing b4 when i felt bad might have also had something to do with the fact i was drunk and felt pretty bad. Publically humilating myself at a party. Then today cut my wrists safely though on the side with less sticky out vains. Its like putting the pain somewhere else or something.
  • Options
    Originally posted by angel1886
    Hey ive done the head bagging thing b4 when i felt bad might have also had something to do with the fact i was drunk and felt pretty bad. Publically humilating myself at a party. Then today cut my wrists safely though on the side with less sticky out vains. Its like putting the pain somewhere else or something.
    You don't need me to tell you this... please don't cut your wrists. I know you need to cut pretty deep to damage the veins and you think you did it "safely", but you could do irreparable damage... well, obviously. Please try to keep away from areas with surface veins. Hope that doesn't sound patronising. Thinking of you. xxx
  • Options
    Hey piccolo? Sorry if got the name wrong. I phoned my x an he didn't understand that i needed to talk he cant understand. I got in such a mood i told him an i HATE that he knows he will think theres something wrong with me. I will NEVER tell him again he was tellin me he would tell my mum that wont help i feel sick with this.
  • Options
    Sorry bout last post was in a stress i just need to chill. I wont damage myself, first time i cut myself an i can't really do it properly yet. I considered it this morning but i told myself it was stupid. Scared my x tells someone. I wish i did it to some where no one can see like top of my legs.
  • Options
    Sorry bout last post was in a stress i just need to chill. I wont damage myself, first time i cut myself an i can't really do it properly yet. I considered it this morning but i told myself it was stupid. Scared my x tells someone. I wish i did it to some where no one can see like top of my legs.
    I wish you didn't do it at all. Please, try not to develop this habit. Huge hugs, I know it's not that easy.

PM me if you need.

Picc
    x
  • Options
    Il try an work out the PM thing not sure how it works exactly?
  • Options
    Il try an work out the PM thing not sure how it works exactly?

At the bottom of every post there is a toolbar, with 'rofile' and 'quote' on it. The 'PM' button is there- just press it and send a private message to a user.

If you have to cut try and use clean blades and antiseptic, and try and avoid the wrists as it is so easy to slip and slit them. If you have to hurt yourself try and do otehr things first- holding icecubes in the crook of the elbow hurts like fuck, and drawing red lines on your arms and legs with a marker is very cathartic.

I'm a 'reformed' self-harmer- I cut my arms and chest- so PM me too if you want a natter:)
  • Options
    Ok, so I started cutting when I was 14ish pretty much because everything I did wasn't good enough. And also just because I've never been a very happy person. So I started and did it occasionally and it built up to doing it so much. I stopped for a while but it came back. But now I do it again. Only all the time. I cut when I am sad, when I am down, but I also do it when I am overly happy. I get feelings like I am not used to being that happy so I kind of have to take it away, I also do it when I am bored because it takes away the pain of boredem and it gives me something to do. Its not like I do it for attention so people will ask me what is wrong. I do it places where *nobody* will see because questions are the one thing that I hate the moste. In fact, I hate the fact that I do it because it really hinders what clothes I can wear. God I wish I could control, but its hard, like an addiction. And also, for about 2 years now I pick at everything. I pick at every little bump or scratch anywhere on my body. I make myself believe there are these impurties on my face and pick at those. And I am not satisified until it is bleeding so I then I feel like it is gone. Anyways. I don't really know what has gotten into me to do shit like that sooo much. I just kinda needed to get it off my chest though. And does anybody else do it that much? Are there others who si other times than being down?
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    Are there others who si other times than being down?

I used to do it when I was bored, and sometimes I did it when I wasn't feeling anything, just to see if I was 'alive'.

And yes, I picked at the scabs- it's nice to see the blood trickle down again and again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    And does anybody else do it that much? Are there others who si other times than being down?
    Argh, all the time. And I hate myself for it but sometimes I just want to and I can't explain why. Otherwise I do it when there's a specific trigger, but anyway just to agree with Kermit, you're certainly not the only one who does it when you're not feeling low, my_name.
  • Options
    My mother has seen the cuts on my stomach and she's not going to stop going on about it. I don't want her to worry and I know I have no right to not want her to worry cos I'm probably being stupid and selfish but I don't know what to do I just want to sit and cry.
  • Options
    My parents don't want to know. They have been ignoring it for about 2 years. I used to hate them for it, until i realised that its probably because they are scared and don't understand. Sometimes I can't fight the bitterness towards them and i just cry for hours about how they "don't care" but its more complicated than that and i think i'll get there, and maybe even one they'll try and help me stop cutting, instead of pretending i don't, and not reacting to it.:) I know its hard but remember its hurting them too and they are gonna worry because they don't understand it. Try responding to her "going on about it" it might help :) good luck, pm me f you ever need to rant
  • Options
    Mum has seen my arms as well, I think. She was out so I was wearing a t-shirt for the first time in months because I was hot (had a bit of a fever), but she came back quite suddenly and I was just pulling my jumper on. I think she might want to talk about again - does anyone know how to tackle this? :confused:

Cheers.
  • Options
    Mum has seen my arms as well, I think. She was out so I was wearing a t-shirt for the first time in months because I was hot (had a bit of a fever), but she came back quite suddenly and I was just pulling my jumper on. I think she might want to talk about again - does anyone know how to tackle this? :confused:

Cheers.

Don't really know how to tackle it I refuse to speak to my mother about it,

All I can say is arnswer her questions and good luck hun:)
  • Options

Cheers.

Don't let her intimidate you or make you feel like you have to agree with her. Try and tell her exactly how you feel.
  • Options
    does anyone know how to tackle this?

Be calm. Be mature. Be honest. But only answer the questions she asks- it's just easier :yes:

That works well for me, anyway.

Good luck:)
  • Options
    Cut myself again not like massive or deep. Dont know if im mildly depressed or some thing just bit numb is how I feel.
    Its so awkward using a razor trying to angle it an my nail scissors aren't that great.
    Tried to cut myself some where less odviously bit round from the top of my legs but thats harder than my wrists.
    Not really a question to this I guess. Just me wanting to talk.
  • Options
    Scissors are not a good thing to use, because they are quite blunt, and they are unclean. Try and stop using them, my worst scarring is from scissors. Besides which, razors hurt more:p

The wrists is not a good place to cut either, if you HAVE to cut try and avoid the wrists because there is a danger of slipping or cutting too deep, and that wouldn't be good at all. I don't want to say where I cut because it could be triggering, and I don't like giving people ideas, but avoid the wrists at all costs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Scissors are not a good thing to use, because they are quite blunt, and they are unclean. Try and stop using them.
    And please try to seek help. I know we've talked about it, but I am quite serious. You might think the cuts are very superficial but that is really not the point.
  • Options
    Feelin really low right now. :( . Can anyone help me I want to cut myself.
  • Options
    Feelin really low right now. :( . Can anyone help me I want to cut myself.

Try doing other things, distract yourself. If you can't distract yourself try hurting yourself in "safe" ways first, such as using ice cubes, or try to pretend you're hurting yourself by drawing on yourself with a red marker pen.
  • Options
    I think, before I even say this, that it's going to sound stupid.

I just think that I might be getting a bit obsessed with self-harm. I have been cutting myself for over two years now, and I did realise a while ago that I don't exactly want to stop, and I don't really try. But I ignored it, it was easier to pretend I wanted to stop.

Now I don't know what to do. I'm scared I'll never stop, but at the same time I'm scared to stop. It gets deeper and harder every time and somehow I don't want to stop. I keep trying to find other ways to self-harm but they don't help.
  • Options
    does anybody know of any ways to get rid of scars besides cosmetic surgery? and not any type of "scar reducing" stuff. it works about as well as water. i've got extremly fair sensitive skin and scars over 2 years old are as visible as ones that are 2 weeks old.