Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi everyone, im new here but i've read a few of your posts and everyone seems really supportive so i hope you dont mind if i talk about some of my problems on here.

I'm 16 and virtually everyday of my life i get physically and mentally abused by my mum. It's happened all my life for as long as i can remember. I self harmed for 3years but finally pulled myself out of that and havent done it now for 6months. Theres only one person in the whole world that i was brave enough to tell but even then i wasnt 100% truthful.

At the moment I just feel like shit and i'm so tired of having to pretend to everyone that i'm "ok" and laugh and joke with my mum when her friends are round. I'm starting a new college next week as well so im bricking it about that too which doesn't help but at least that'll mean i'm out the house more!!

Anyway, really sorry for such a long rant, especially as it's my first post, and i hope you are all ok.

Pure Morning xx
  • Options
    I'm 16 and virtually everyday of my life i get physically and mentally abused by my mum. It's happened all my life for as long as i can remember. I self harmed for 3years but finally pulled myself out of that and havent done it now for 6months. Theres only one person in the whole world that i was brave enough to tell but even then i wasnt 100% truthful.

At the moment I just feel like shit and i'm so tired of having to pretend to everyone that i'm "ok" and laugh and joke with my mum when her friends are round. I'm starting a new college next week as well so im bricking it about that too which doesn't help but at least that'll mean i'm out the house more!
    Well, at least you see an upside to the situation. When I was at college, I milked it. I spent hours and hours out of the house, as much as I possibly could, simply because I could. As for the person you told, I don't blame you. I'm not sure what else to say right now. If you want to talk more, PM me.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Yeah everyone believes my cats are vicious buggers. Or pretends to. My poor cats.
    They probably would think the same of mine if I kept slipping up. I've kinda learned from that though, and now my stomach stays mostly clean. I have moved on to the top of my legs. Er...yes. No PE = nobody seeing it. Whereas if I keep doing my stomach, when I stretch it would be relatively obvious it was there. Oh well.
  • Options
    i am shit scared of going back to school after 2 years out. i go back on monday, and i'm so under prepared i think i'm just gonna go in there and have a huge panic attack. I'm ment to have been refered to a psychiatrist, but nothing has happened. I've had nightmares for 4 nights in a row, and they are getting worse. Haven't been talking to my mother for about 2 weeks now, and my world feels like it's spiraling on me. what the fuck do i do?
  • Options
    You'll be fine TT. Just try and stay as chilled as possible, relax, and take it one day at a time.
  • Options
    4 months. Or nearly that. That's how long it's been. Know where that is now? *points at a drain*. Down there.

Don't play with lighters, kids.
  • Options
    But 4 months isn't that long for me. Like...I can sit here and see all of you going two weeks and be so proud of you, but 4 months isn't that big of an achievement for me. I've gone like over 6 months before now 'cause I just don't think about it.

What's pissed me off more is that two days ago I was Happy Franki. Excited and bouncy and feeling on top of the world. AND I LIKED THAT GOD DAMN IT.

*sigh*
  • Options
    :( Everything's fucked up
  • Options
    :( Everything's fucked up
    What's happened sweetheart?
  • Options
    I do wish you'd stop calling yourself stupid all the time, simply because you cut. It's not stupid, don't ever use that language in this forum again.

It's not stupid to be ill. You know what you need to do, you need to find the courage to do it. That's what we're here for.

I don't want to hear you calling yourself stupid again.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I do wish you'd stop calling yourself stupid all the time, simply because you cut. It's not stupid, don't ever use that language in this forum again.

It's not stupid to be ill. You know what you need to do, you need to find the courage to do it. That's what we're here for.

I don't want to hear you calling yourself stupid again.
    I concur.

GI, have you thought that maybe everyone you know could say something good about you? Everyone has flaws, every single one of my friends can point out something they don't like about me. You're not the only one mate.
  • Options
    Ok, but just for the record. I don't think you're a waste of space, and I'm not out to get you. I know that everyone on thesite might as well be an imaginary friend until you meet them and talk to them for real. But it doesn't mean that we're not your friends.
  • Options
    Edited
  • Options
    Today I almost cried in college. Why? Because one of my friends was talking about someone he knew that died of cancer and talking about how at the end she couldn't move, couldn't eat, and all that stuff. And it reminded me of how Olive was the last time we saw her.

Blah.
  • Options
    I just hear the bad stuff all the time.

Only because you want to.
  • Options
    i just found out today my ex got depressed and attempted suicide, i've been through similar at the same time....he still seems abit down, whats the best way to help him? Just talk and be gentle?
  • Options
    :no: Why on earth would I only want to hear just the bad stuff about me?

Because you think it's all you deserve.

It's easier for you to cope with the bad things- you're used to them, so you know how to. Hearing nice things is new and scary, and you don't know how to deal with that. So you don't.
  • Options
    Truso mr frog.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Because you think it's all you deserve.

It's easier for you to cope with the bad things- you're used to them, so you know how to. Hearing nice things is new and scary, and you don't know how to deal with that. So you don't.
    Indeed.

I know that's how I work in my head. Like...people at work do say nice stuff about me, but I convince myself that they're joking so that I don't have to deal with the fact that someone might actually (shock horror!) like me.
  • Options
    Fiend, if they could say something good about me, they most certainly do not let me know. I just hear the bad stuff all the time. It feels as though everyone is out to get me and I am one big waste of space.

Do you need your ego constantly massaging in order to maintain a level of happiness? Compliments are at their best when your not expecting them, not required as a staple part of getting through the day.

People having negative things to say isn’t a phenomena exclusively reserved for you either. We all have negative qualities, there’s no revelation there. I could pick any of my friends and ask them to name a negative quality i possess and they'd all be able to real one off straight away. You’re also choosing to ignore the positive and so effectively perpetuating your own unhappiness.

You are ultimately responsible for your own hapiness.
  • Options
    Damn!
    Sitting here in tears
    Dont know why, argh!

Well stop crying and have a think about it.
  • Options
    Thats helpful advice!!

Without wanting to seem cold i could type "Don't worry everythings going to be fine" but it doesn't help anything. They're words of consolation from someone who has no idea what your problem is and who you don't know.

There must be a reason why you were crying, no matter how small or insignificant you may regard it to be. Whatever the reason it's bound to be linked to whatever the larger problem is and then inturn you can examine that and start to address the cause of the underlying unhappiness.

There's always a cause for a symptom and that's what you need to locate and address. I suspect you may already be partically aware at least of what the cause is.
  • Options
    Not everybody cries for a specific reason. It might just be the depression, ya know.
  • Options
    Yes but the way you said it was just, to me anyway a case of shut up and get over yourself, but that could just be how i interpreted it
    No, that's how I interpreted it too.
  • Options
    He's got a fair point.

Sometimes I think it's not unreasonable to be a little short about such things.
  • Options
    I feel so low tonight. And I really thgouht I was passed this. :impissed:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    He's got a fair point.

Sometimes I think it's not unreasonable to be a little short about such things.

That's exactly what I think too.

All this *hugs you* is all well and good, but attention of this nature often just cements a person's behaviour and thought patterns, rather than challenging them to think about why they are upset. If people get sympathy all the time then it encourages them to perpetuate a certain behavioural pattern, rather than trying to do something about it.

Asking direct questions and making people think about what they are doing, rather than just milking sympathy, is often a better way of doing things. It does appear a bit cold at first glance, but a lot of people would benefit from thinking about why they are upset, rather than just blithely getting meaningless *hugs*.

Attention without critique just encourages manipulative behaviour IMHO- it certainly does with me.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    No offence but cptcoathanger you do seem rather cold, you come onto a thread about depression and self harming, tell someone that she is responsible for her own happiness, when she has an illness,

The thing is though, you *are* responsible for your own happiness. Whether you have an illness or not.

You have to work out *why* you feel so upset all the time and once you get to the root of the problem you can then start to try and solve it.
    and then you said what at least 2 people interpreted as a very cruel remark, perhaps rethink what your going to post before you post it?

I don't think it was a cruel remark at all. I think it was an honest remark. And sometimes it is honesty that is needed in regards to depression and self harm.

There is no point just sitting there, waiting for someone to say "awwww, it will all be better in the morning" or whatever over and over. Sometimes you need to hear the harsh reality of things too.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is the truth.
  • Options
    it depends what you use this thread for, i guess.

if you just want sympathy, then no, you probably wouldn't welcome that kind of opinion.

but if you want support and guidance to actually get better, then cptcoathanger's point was valid, and very necessary.
  • Options
    I don't think it was cruel as such, I just felt it was a bit inappropriate at the time.

On another note: I did a silly thing at work. I have a nice little blister on my stomach now. Feck.