Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ;<

I have no idea what to say to you tbh.

I just don't think you can change it until you get more confidence in yourself. Chances are that at least some of the people you want to be good friends with feel the same way too. Just think, whats the worst that could happen? So what if you try and be friends with someone and they don't reciprocate it. Atleast you tried.

Anybody who doesn't want you as a friend is obviously an idiot with no taste in people.
  • Options
    What's the worst that can happen?

I end up making an idiot out of myself because I try too hard, and then I fuck it up.

Is the worst that can happen. And has happened before.
  • Options
    people screw up all the time.

it happens, and we learn from mistakes.

so what if you screw up? as long as you put it right..

i'll go away now, i'm not helping ;<
  • Options
    I find new ways to fuck up though. Alllllllll the time.

And I never put it right.

AND I'm sorry, but I just...blah I dunno. I don't know what would help. Other than a hug, and the Lewin, and my Olive.
  • Options
    Ug. I spent all last night time thinking about cutting but I didnt and I've woken up and all i can think about is cutting.And they cancelled my counselling session last week. And I really needed it.fs
  • Options
    I end up making an idiot out of myself because I try too hard, and then I fuck it up.

Or you think you do, convince yourself that you do, and crash because of it. When, in reality, you've done no such thing.

You sound an awful lot like me. There isn't much to say to suggest how you can help yourself get out more. When one's confidence is so low its impossible to even pretend. I'm the same, I can pretend for a bit and then something happens- something small- and I bottle it and run away. I don't think "trying harder" can change that. I'm better after years of intensive therapy, but I still suffer from it a lot.

It sounds odd, but forcing yourself to do a job where you have to interact with people helps confidence. I used to be petrified of the telephone, so I went and got a job where I had to use the phone a lot to deal with business problems, and I'm getting better at it. I can deal with people very comfortably in a professional setting now, which is good considering that's what my job is now.

I can't deal with people personally though. I don't dare say much because I don't know how to do small talk and I always sound stupid. So of course people think I'm cold, distant and don't like them, so they don't talk to me more. And I don't like imposing myself on other people, I don't want to make them waste their time with me unless they do all the running, so I don't chase people up, ever. People always think I'm really serious in real life because I daredn't joke.
  • Options
    Today i feel very very down. I don't get why though, i'm living somewhere i like, i've got a place in the school i wanted to get into, i'm communicating with my mother, i have the most amazing boyfriend who is amazingly supportive of me, yet i still feel so down. I don't feel sucidal anymore because i don't see that as an option anymore, it would hurt the one person i really do love that i can even bear to think about. I really feel like starting to self harming again, i want to start smoking dope again, but the first is only going to get me in trouble, and the second theres no way i can do that without getting in even more trouble. I'm fed up with being in pain, i'm fed up with people talking about me behind my back, i'm fed up with the comments and never being able to please anyone. And i can't even cry about it because i keep getting tension headaches every time i try to cry. I really want to feel aprecated, i may be already aprecated but i need to feel like i am, i need to feel like i have a place somewhere. I wish i could stop the on and off screaming in my head.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Or you think you do, convince yourself that you do, and crash because of it. When, in reality, you've done no such thing.
    Yeh, that. I always think "I'm gonna make a mistake" and so I try harder not to and make one anyway, purely because I've been trying hard not to.
    Kermit wrote:
    You sound an awful lot like me. There isn't much to say to suggest how you can help yourself get out more. When one's confidence is so low its impossible to even pretend. I'm the same, I can pretend for a bit and then something happens- something small- and I bottle it and run away.
    I have got quite good at pretending. But there's little things that if you know what you're looking for you can see. Things that make my insecurities come throught. Mostly the fact that if I have something in my hands, I'll always play with it, and if I don't, I'll sit and pick at my fingernails. I can rarely look someone in the eye when I'm talking to them, either. Which is baaaaaad.
    Kermit wrote:
    It sounds odd, but forcing yourself to do a job where you have to interact with people helps confidence. I used to be petrified of the telephone, so I went and got a job where I had to use the phone a lot to deal with business problems, and I'm getting better at it. I can deal with people very comfortably in a professional setting now, which is good considering that's what my job is now.
    I can do work stuff. Telephones probably not, but I can be friendly and helpful and look confident and like I know what I'm doing at work. I freeze up on the phone, unless I really have to ring someone. And even then I get nervous. I've been putting off calling my COUSIN ffs 'cause I'm scared to talk to her. How bad is that ;(?

I also have the fun task of having to do lots of oral presentations next year for college, so I guess that'll help me a bit. With those, though, I'm always scared of getting it wrong. And my mouth dries up and I can't talk properly and I go all shaky and it DOES go wrong.
    Kermit wrote:
    I can't deal with people personally though. I don't dare say much because I don't know how to do small talk and I always sound stupid. So of course people think I'm cold, distant and don't like them, so they don't talk to me more. And I don't like imposing myself on other people, I don't want to make them waste their time with me unless they do all the running, so I don't chase people up, ever. People always think I'm really serious in real life because I daredn't joke.
    I don't do small talk, either. I just...can't. It always fizzles off and never turns into proper conversation. Also: I can't talk to people I've just met/I find attractive (how shit) unless they talk to me first. I've got better at that, but I'm still not great at it. I go all red and shaky and blah.

People don't think I'm serious, though. They mostly think I'm a bitch. 'Cause I make really bitchy comments to everybody to stop them getting close to me.

I really do suck >.<.
  • Options
    I went to the school today. There is not fucking hope in hell that i'm gonna be able to cope there. I went in there and sat down in a office everything was fine then i came out and it was lunch time and there were all these kids and the uniforms and everything jsut went out of control, i thought i was gonna have a panic attack. I suppose the least bad thing was that i'll have to take out all of my piercings as no jewelery what so ever, i'll cost me 60 quid to have them all redone which isn't a huge thing, but i can't cope with the whole not being me thing and having to conform, i know its just a fact of life i need to deal with but i just feel like smashing my head against a wall untill everything goes black. I can't cope with any of this anymore, i just feel like no one gives a shit really, and i'm choking on murky water. I just want to cry...and i've got to go see this stupid baby and their family and i don't want to, it's got nothing to do with me, and now i'm just sounding like a winey little prick, i can't ever get this right i am just heading for fuck up land, if i'm not already there
  • Options
    sick
    of
    it
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    sick
    of
    it
    What's brought this on? :)
  • Options
    2 very quick suggestions, my brain's not on form tonight so they might be no good.

Counselling for what seems to be a touch of agoraphobia, and could you try wearing clear retainers in the piercings?
  • Options
    5 days, 6 times I've cried, worse every time. Would have been 7, but I didn't really want to go into work with smudged eyeliner.

Screw this. What's the fucking point?
  • Options
    I don't know, sweetie, but I promise you there is one.

I'm going to bed otherwise I'd chat but *hugs* anyway and I'll be online tomorrow if you need anything.

Stay strong. You too, Trinity.
  • Options
    I'll be ok, other than feeling like crap. I can't cut or anything because I'm going to Kenya on Sunday. I just don't know what the point in my ever existing was. I haven't made that much of a difference in people's lives. I'm not really at all important.

Le blah.
  • Options
    I haven't made that much of a difference in people's lives. I'm not really at all important.

Le blah.

Lies.
  • Options
    I haven't made that much of a difference in people's lives. I'm not really at all important.
    Well, that's bollocks. TheSite message boards for example wouldn't be the same without you. Or what about all the friends you've got here? You've made a difference to their lives. :)
  • Options
    Not really. Think about it. How much worse off would you be had you never known me? Not very.
  • Options
    Not really. Think about it. How much worse off would you be had you never known me? Not very.
    That's not true and you know it.
  • Options
    It is true. It's very true.
  • Options
    Sweetheart, I love you and you know it, your existance has enriched my life, and I am grateful for it. You made me smile once, with absolute genuine pleasure, someone who can do that is special, and important.
  • Options

OK...never posted in here before but felt I had to after reading that. I don't know if it will make any difference franki but just wanted to tell you that I for one always make a point of reading your posts on these boards. It's partly because I know you almost always say something constructive, or intelligent, or funny, or helpful...but mainly it's because the very first time I ever posted here, in a total state of distress over my boyfriend, you were one of those to reply to me and help me feel better. I've never forgotten that. I really do value you because of that - you may think it was small and insignificant but to me it was a huge thing.

I hope you feel better, just wanted to let you know think you are anything but worthless and am very glad I came into contact with you.
  • Options

You know that's not true. Do I have to dig out the msn logs? You are a fantastic person and the world is a much better place for you being in it.

:heart:
  • Options
    I would try and argue with this, but I know for a damn fact you will turn everything said against yourself until you calm down and come out of it.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Sweetheart, I love you and you know it, your existance has enriched my life, and I am grateful for it. You made me smile once, with absolute genuine pleasure, someone who can do that is special, and important.
    When was that? But :heart:. I think I'm a bit calmer now. Maybe I've affected people's lives a little bit.
    StupidGirl wrote:
    OK...never posted in here before but felt I had to after reading that. I don't know if it will make any difference franki but just wanted to tell you that I for one always make a point of reading your posts on these boards. It's partly because I know you almost always say something constructive, or intelligent, or funny, or helpful...but mainly it's because the very first time I ever posted here, in a total state of distress over my boyfriend, you were one of those to reply to me and help me feel better. I've never forgotten that. I really do value you because of that - you may think it was small and insignificant but to me it was a huge thing.

I hope you feel better, just wanted to let you know think you are anything but worthless and am very glad I came into contact with you.
    Thank you. That actually made me smile as I read it :). But I think you must have a lot of time of your hands if you read all of my posts!! (It also sounds quite stalker-esque ;p).
    Infinite wrote:
    You know that's not true. Do I have to dig out the msn logs? You are a fantastic person and the world is a much better place for you being in it.

:heart:
    Well maybe there's one or two exceptions (:p), but generally I'm not all that important to people.
    Kermit wrote:
    I would try and argue with this, but I know for a damn fact you will turn everything said against yourself until you calm down and come out of it.
    You know me too well. I'm a bit calmer now I think. I'm not in hysterics, which is a start.
  • Options
    i personally think you are fab franki :yes: .

wise and honest.
  • Options
    SG-nothing inparticlular.
  • Options
    Sorry just needed to get this outta my system, sorry if im interupting or just wasting everyones time.
    Not a probem, that's what this thread is for.

Personally, I'm getting in a mood because of some problems at work at the moment. I've contacted my manager who's put me on the late shift tomorrow evening. That's fine, I've done lots of late shifts before. But what's really getting to me is problems I'm having with one of my supervisors. There's also other stuff I'm trying to do like looking round for a course to do at university, (thousands to choose from, thousands too many for my liking) and there's looking for a new pad hundreds of miles away to work on. It's all getting to me. :mad:
  • Options
    wanna cut so badly, but cant

You only want to because you can't.
  • Options
    I cut last night for the first time in liek a month :mad: