Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A month is excellent. Focus on that, I'm proud of you! :heart:
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    A month is excellent. Focus on that, I'm proud of you! :heart:

i am too :yes:
  • Options
    Sorry for wasting time

Sorry this is probably really stupid, just really needed to rant

Don't ever say anything like the above ever again in this thread.

Ever.
  • Options
    Shut up.

Seriously, what the fuck did you think this thread was for.

Stop bloody apologising.
  • Options
    I'm really starting to crumble under the pressure of looming exam reults. And its still like 2 weeks away:(
  • Options
    I'm really starting to crumble under the pressure of looming exam reults. And its still like 2 weeks away:(
    I think I sometimes forget how terrified I was of my exam results, but try not to worry. Think of other things, try to realise that exam results aren't the be-all and end-all of anything, try to realise that even if you have one E grade you'll still be able to go to uni and do something.

At the time exams seem so all-important, because schools build them up like that. In the grand scheme of things they really don't matter that much, although admittedly I did do very well in my A'Levels and so can afford to not care about them too much.

You'll be fine pet. You aren't a failure evn if you don't get a single grade, the qualities of a person are worth far much more than a scratty bit of paper.

I can say this with the sure knowledge I won't have to sit exams again for a good while yet, mind.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think I sometimes forget how terrified I was of my exam results, but try not to worry. Think of other things, try to realise that exam results aren't the be-all and end-all of anything, try to realise that even if you have one E grade you'll still be able to go to uni and do something.
    Yeh my biggeset problem is I just have my heart set on going to my first choice. And after the fiasco that was last year I'm getting twitchy already
    Kermit wrote:
    At the time exams seem so all-important, because schools build them up like that. In the grand scheme of things they really don't matter that much, although admittedly I did do very well in my A'Levels and so can afford to not care about them too much.

I tend to think they aren't the be all and end but as the child of two teachers the pressure I'm getting at home is just becoming excruciating.

Thanks, I'm jsut getting so wound up over it. I'm doing everything I can to keep myself busy but every day feels like a lifetime :(
  • Options
    i've been getting really really tired resently, i've been sent for blood tests to be on the safe side, but i think it's just my depression getting to me. I was in lakeside today with my foster mum and my older foster sister. we'd been talking about depression a bit and then my foster sister went on to proclaim she didn't think i deserved to be in foster care. i then asked her what did she think i should have done, and she told me i was being rude and butting in. She's 17. and has her head stuck up her arse. she said that is (according to her, and she doesn't know much of my past) i haven't been sexualy abused or physicaly abused thus don't deserve to be in foster care. she hasn't bothered to find out the full extent of what happened before i had to come back from spain, nor does she know much about my childhood. she's so fucking vain and damn manipulative, she seems to think everyones below her. I'm so worried she's going to jepidise this placement because at my age this is my last stop from an indepenant living unit, and those are really scary places. I really want to get my GCSEs, and go to college and get A levels and possibly go to uni. But this bitch could put all of this at risk. Why do i seem end up in unavoidable situations with manipulative people? and the other day for the first time in ages, i spent most of the day crying 2 days ago...

i really don't know what to do anymore. Is it so much to ask to get better, get my gsces, and a levels? really?
  • Options
    Blah blah blah I feel like shit. Blah blah blah because I want something I can't have and it is now affecting everything I do. Blah blah FUCKING blah. Is it possible to be really really excited about something yet be dreading it all at the same time? I guess it must be because that's how I feel right now. I hate this. Hate it hate it hate it. And I can't do anything about it. HOORAY. I'm not gonna be able to have a normal relationship, or any kind of relationship for that matter, with ANYONE until I get the fuck over this. Christ.

Luby - ignore the bitch. She knows nothing. Just keep telling yourself that she doesn't know what she's talking about. You've got my number if you need me :heart:.
  • Options
    Yeah its definately possible to be excited about somthing and dreading it. I do it all the time.

Apprehension.
  • Options
    A lot of foster siblings do that, it's the same as always, a new person moving in threatens their position so they seek attention and try to put the newbie "in their place".
  • Options
    Thanks.

I've decided that i will be pretty much ok by my 17th but i will totaly fine by my 17th...am i giving myself too much time?

My mum phoned me a little while ago and it was good to talk to her. she said i should go talk to a friend of her's to see if she can point me in the right direction of a mentor. i did read an article i found about it on here but i'm still not all to sure what it would entail.

And i suppose i'm getting a bit het up over school, it just seems a little daunting, and plus people are trying to matchmake me with people they know that are going there, not because they think i might get on with them or i have anything in common with them apart from going to the same school. Yes, it's very nice of them, but i've met this one girl, and i really want the chance to make my own friends. the one girl i've met is incredibly ditzy: she had to look on the net to see if siamese cats were joined like siamese twins are. Yes, it's lovely people are trying to help me but, let me make my own friends who are somewhat like me. Plus I'm fed up of people constantly telling me what to and not to get for school because i'll be picked on for being different. I've been bullied in every school i've been to, they will pick on me because i'm new, they'll pick on me because i don't have white stilletos and a stupid orange tan. I will wear what i want within the uniform regulations. end of. It's my life and i'll do what the fuck i like. just need to get my head in gear and get on with life.
  • Options
    TT- dont know much about you but from recent posts you seem to be going through a difficult time in whats already a difficult time of anyones life.
    Its nice to see you're being positive and determined, even if you dont always feel that way!!!
    I wish id had the guts to be like that when i was in school.

Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for that.

Unfortunatly things have taken a turn for the worst, and i've been told that if i don't start getting on with my foster sisters i'll have to leave, which means i'm likely to be placed in a independent living unit, which are horrible horrible places. It's not like i'm starting fights with her, i'm trying to avoid her at all costs and she's still having a go at me. I'm agreeing with everything she says, not taking part in family discussions, and she's still got a problem with me so it looks like i'm headed out of here....:(

got to try and hope though...
  • Options
    guess i'm officially back here as a current SH-er as opposed to a former one. its been two years. i feel like such a loser.
  • Options
    guess i'm officially back here as a current SH-er as opposed to a former one. its been two years. i feel like such a loser.

Shit happens. Stress causes it, and having to deal with other people's shit creates a lot of stress.

It's why I get worried when two severely depressed people end up with each other, my experience is that they end up feeding off each other's misery. Looking after an ill person requires the other person to well.

Hope you're OK pet.
  • Options
    she's still got a problem with me so it looks like i'm headed out of here....:(

Which, of course, is her whole objective.

It's like I said above, it sounds like its New Child Syndrome. She doesn't hate you or despise you, so please try not to take it personally. She just seems to hate the fact that there is a foster person there, probably because she isn't getting as much attention as she used to receive.

It happens. The hardest thing is to realise that it is her problem not yours. It's even harder when you have to suffer for her being a twat.
  • Options
    I do realise it's not my fault, but it makes me so very angry when i am having to suffer for her being a twat. But it's not set in stone and it might work out.

Right now, i feel very fragile, for any better word. Everything i do in the next 11 months affects what i can do in my life. Ok if i fuck up, i can go redo things, but in the mean while, i'd have to be living in a really horrible independent unit, but i could do well and still make some really bad moves. And right now i don't feel like i've got anything to make it any easier.
  • Options
    I dont want this to sound patronising or like im saying nothing matters or putting my negative depressive attitude to life on it - but i remember when i was at school, soooo much pressure is put on you to do perfectly and itll be the end of the world if you fail and you must achieve this and you must achieve that and its really stressful when everybody and yourself has expectations you have to meet. But then when its over, and you move onto the next thing, what you were doing before that seems to fade away like it was nothing that ever mattered. I dont know what you're doing and all that, and i know its important to get good grades in order to move onto the next thing but as soon as i got to college and started on my courses and Alevels, i realised how insignificant the whole drama of GCSE's were. It didnt matter how you got below what was expected of you, it didnt matter if you cocked up the whole Art exam, it didnt matter thatyou were the only one in the class to get below a C, because you move on and fowarda and it all just goes into the past.
    I really dont want this to sound like im saying things arent important , coz they are, but just that there is some light at the end of the tunnel. You get through it and you move on. Even if things dont go to plan, theres always a route to take.
  • Options
    I feel like such a failure:( I thought I'd kicked my S/H habbit since I stopped using skunk, but I guess not. I didnt cut but I was so tempted to. I even daydreamed about stabbing myself in the leg and I've never thought about something like that before. I had to lock the scissors away to stop myself. I got really upset with everything thats going on in my life right now and I started hitting my leg till it went numb:( now it hurts and I feel like shite. I thought the depression I had before was because of drugs and that if I stoppen using I'd be ok, and now its back and I'm scared.
  • Options
    im so depressed i dunno what to do, my b/f like dumped me, im like so sad, im wanna like kill myself
  • Options
    Everyone gets urges every os often Zella, it doesn't make you a failure at all.

You didn't do it, that took a lot of strength. Doing it doesn't make you a failure, so not doing it makes you less of one.

I haven't cut for three years, but I still get tempted. When I get down I lay in bed punching myself so hard in my head I get double vision and headaches.
  • Options
    pretty much having a spack attack about tomorrow. And to add to my joy I have an eye infection ;( meh. I'm screaming on the inside.
  • Options
    I blacked out trying to strangle myself earlier. Feel like shit. Saw the psychiatrist yesterday and told him I'd not done anything "dangerous" even though I knew he'd probably not see me trying to cut my wrists on Sat as exactly safe or whatever. He thinks I'm loads better.
  • Options
    Psychaitrists aren't as daft as they look, mine wasn't anyway, so when they say you are better I think it is genuine. You have relapses, and you focus on the relapses, not the fact that the gap between down moments is longer, and the down moments themselves are shorter.
  • Options
    Yeah, you're probably right. He did say this in response to my manner, not really about what I was saying. I felt bad for lying though and I guess that combined with having had a few low periods makes me feel as though he's wrong.

Thanks, I think I needed a bit of logic.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    I blacked out trying to strangle myself earlier. Feel like shit. Saw the psychiatrist yesterday and told him I'd not done anything "dangerous" even though I knew he'd probably not see me trying to cut my wrists on Sat as exactly safe or whatever. He thinks I'm loads better.

maybe you should be honest kate.
  • Options
    :(
  • Options
    today, i got really down, i had to be forced to eat and i'm starting to think that people who say i look good are liers. I've actually started thinking about suicide again, and nothing makes sense. I'm crying a lot. Plus i've got a fostering review meeting tomorrow, and the reviewing officer was so judgemental last time, and totaly twisted what i said. I had to stop myself picking up a razor this morning. And i don't feel like i should be using chris as a door matt anymore. he seriously deserves better.
  • Options
    Without trying to sound overly cheesy and cliched, I just want to say that everytime I read this thread I am saddened by what I read. Before joining thesite I never knew exactly how many people go through self harm and depression. Personally, it's not something I do or have experienced. But I just wanted to say thanks, for like giving people like me an insight into it. I know that some of you receive help in some form or another and I just hope it works for you. I don't know why I am writing this, I just felt compelled to say it.

Hannah xx