Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok...I have a dilemma.

I recently cut quite badly over a scar that was already there and quite bad. Thing is, I'm going to Kenya in like a month and a bit, and I get the feeling this is gonna be one of those scars that will be really obvious for a long time. I need to know what I could use that will either hide it totally (like a waterproof foundation type thing) or make it almost disappear very quickly for when I go in the pool and things (I can't not, as they'd think it odd).

So yeh, any ideas?

If you haven't found anything as yet, Dermablend is supposed to be very good for covering scars - the makeup is waterproof and it only comes off with their makeup remover - you can get it specifically for the body as well as the face

its pretty pricey though - think you can also get it on QVC
    a woman who advocates it has a huge strawberry birthmark on her face and once she has put it on, you'd think she had really great skin.

http://www.boots.com/newsearch/search.jsp?searchArea=1&searchQuery=dermablend&uri=%2Fhome.jsp&classificationId=&contentId=&articleId=
  • Options
    girl_gunner, it is rather scary, but that is how it is. You can't deal with horrible thoughts if you never think them or talk about them. It took me at least a year to get used to talking about the horrible things, and even then I balked sometimes because it was too much.

Franki, that's what doctors can be like. If you didn't like that one then go and see another one. The GP I saw was brilliant, but I was a couple of years older, and that does make a difference as to the "seriousness".

personally I think there is something to be said that a lot of depressed teens are teen-angsting. I don't mean that disparagingly, unlike the usual way it is meant, but the hormones do tend to make problems bigger, and make mood more unstable. With hormones raging everything does end up looking like life or death, and it time it won't do. Hormones do magnify problems, when I'm tired I end up feeling awful and crying, but after a sleep I'm fine again.

The trouble is that doctors see a young teen and think she is angsting. She probably is, but there have to be problems to angst about, and a lot of doctors seem to forget that. I find the comments about "little scratches" to be very unprofessional, but that's what you get with a lot of male doctors, who know everything and never listen to anything.

You'll be right.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The trouble is that doctors see a young teen and think she is angsting. She probably is, but there have to be problems to angst about, and a lot of doctors seem to forget that. I find the comments about "little scratches" to be very unprofessional, but that's what you get with a lot of male doctors, who know everything and never listen to anything.

Thing is, I KNOW they aren't that bad. I KNOW it probably won't scar forever. I know all that from past experience. Him saying that made me feel about so big > <.

I thought he was a really good doctor. He seemed to be really understanding etc. And then he met my mum and the way she says stuff makes me out to be just an overreacting teen-angster, and it's really difficult to argue with her, especially when you're me.

And I hated how I was sitting there disagreeing with her and getting so angry with it all inside my head but because I'm so weak I couldn't say ANYTHING, so I just sat there looking at my hands and picking at my fingernails for half an hour. Blah I'm shit.
  • Options
    It was all just a waste of time. I didn't get what I wanted out of it.

what did you want?
    Kermit wrote:
    I find the comments about "little scratches" to be very unprofessional, but that's what you get with a lot of male doctors, who know everything and never listen to anything.

another thing to remember is that they're doctors, so what seem like awful wounds to you, to them, when they've just seen someone with half their arm missing, they probably are little scratches. some doctors were not blessed with the tact gene.

but so what if they are little scratches? why does that upset you? when i was self harming, i never did huge open gashes. does little = not as ill to you? and why does that bother you?

let me give you another hard won life lesson: with things like this, it's not a case of going to the doctor and immediately feeling better. you won't. every time, for a while, you'll feel let down, like there was more they could have done. like there was something you wanted to hear that you didn't. that isn't the way this works.

only you will make your situation better. i know i say it all the time, but that's cause it's true. until your attitude to the whole deal changes (and that's not meant in any insulting way - i just know the deal, cause i've been there) you and your situation will not change.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    what did you want?

I don't honestly know. Just not this. I don't like feeling stupid like this.
    kaffrin wrote:
    only you will make your situation better. i know i say it all the time, but that's cause it's true. until your attitude to the whole deal changes (and that's not meant in any insulting way - i just know the deal, cause i've been there) you and your situation will not change.

I know that. That's why I went to the doctor, to try and help myself. I've tried, but meh. I dunno.

I'll try harder, I guess. Just not with my mum involved. That never helps me.
  • Options
    Then dont get your mum involved. If she doesnt help, why keep getting yourself let down by that.

I understand what you mean though. Many, many times ive been to my doctor, just wanting something-anything, help, and come away feeling let down, same goes for my therapy appointments too. But try not to let it put you off, keep persevering with it. Ive not always agreed with my doctor, but i like her, she likes me and i trust her to help me in the best way she thinks right- and thats ok with me. It might be naieve of me to rely on her/them, but ive learned that the mental health services arent what you'd expect and you just have to make the best out of what you can get.
  • Options
    I greatly dislike the fact that I'm going to see my dad in 3 weeks. I need to ffs but I can't.

I'm leaving for a bit. Til after V, probably.

Bye kids.
  • Options
    Do your mates know that you cut yourself? Can you ask one of them to stay with you? What I did once, was give my knife to a friend, and she won't ever give it back, (which is a little annoying, cos it's a good knife otherwise), if you have a specific implement, ask them to take it away.

We all have slip-ups mate, the important thing is not to give up.
  • Options
    This method seems to work. A few weeks ago, a friend of mine told me to take a knife of theirs. When I asked why, they just said "take the damn knife, will ya?". Only recently did I realise why when they told me they'd been using it for self-harming purposes. I'm glad I unintentionally was able to help, but what to do with the knife now is still a puzzle.

Anyway, I've had some strange moments lately. The week started off okay. On Tuesday night however, I had a dream that freaked me out. It brought back some old memories. It was of the person I met up with in London. When she cut all contact with me, at first I felt I couldn't go on without her. Those memories came back. I don't know how on earth a relationship with someone I'd only met in real life just once ended up having such influence over me. I've been thinking of trying suicide again, but talking to another member of this site has persuaded me to think again.
  • Options
    out of control

Hi

I really feel at the moment like I'm getting out of control. I'm off work at the moment and am struggling with the emotional roller coaster of depression. I realised a while ago that I felt like I was being bullied at work and this has opened up memories or being bullied in childhood (which could explain why I'm terrified of work). I've always tried to be a 'safe' self harmer (using a clean blade and no cutting in danger spots). At the moment we have nothing 'safe' in the house I could use which has been acting as a deterrant. Last night I went to the cinema and saw my boss (she didn't see me) and then saw a senior member of staff who helped make my working day hell (I'm sure she looked right at me). All through the film I kept loosing concentration and feeling panicy. When we got home I went and got a razor (that had already been used) and started drawing it across my wrists. It was blunt so I got very frustrated it wasn't doing anything and started using a sawing motion (something else I never usually do). I got really upset and started crying, my fiance heard me and came in and hugged me for ages, he was trying to get me to focus on his eyes but I couldnt.

The part that really scared me was the thoughts that went through my head whilst I was doing it. I was thinking 'If I can cut deep enough Paul will rescue me and then people will realise exactly what I'm going through and it will be proof to work I'm not faking it' which looking back is a really stupid thing to think.

I've never done anything like that before and I dont fully understand why I did what I did.

Thanks for reading I just had to offload.

Phoenix
  • Options
    I really think that:

a. you need to leave that job.
    b. sue the arse off them for unfair dismissal.
    c. go to the doctor and pester them for a talking therapy of some description.
  • Options
    I keep hearing things. Its driving me mad.Its like weird things like I keep hearing my fone ringing when it's not and its in my hand and I can see its not ringing but I still hear it :/ constantly
  • Options
    I keep hearing things. Its driving me mad.Its like weird things like I keep hearing my fone ringing when it's not and its in my hand and I can see its not ringing but I still hear it :/ constantly

are you sleeping badly kirsty?
  • Options
    I always sleep badly. but i've stopped taking my meds too.
  • Options
    the first time depression came on me i was 9 or 10....i was being bullied by everyone in my class and i remember at night i'd hear voices telling me i was a nobody and that no one loved me or cares etc....and i nearly tried to commit suicide
    then it went after i left primary school but came back last october when my bf dumped me, it wasnt so much voices but i got suicidal again cause my parents were on the verge of splitting up too so everything was spiraling out of control....
    then that all went around december...
    then it came back about april when these anxiety problems started.....i seem to get over it for a while but then it'll come back.....its so annoying :(
  • Options
    yikes

i can remember doing it once. my step mom was being an absolute terror and my dad wasn't sticking up for me. so i spent, like, 2 hours trying to cut an 'x' in my wrist with a thumbtack. it made me scared, and i felt really dumb afterwards, like "how am i gonna explain this when someone sees it?" that was in junior high, no one saw it i guess. maybe i wish they did?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

Why have you stopped taking your meds?
  • Options

you don't need me to tell you a highly plausible reason for your problem, then.

did you talk about it with your counsellor the other day?
  • Options
    I ate so much today. Feel horrible. Sertraline hasn't kicked in yet I don't think. Have to face my boss tomorrow and think I might lose my job. :(
  • Options
    *love*

picc, when i feel all fat and as if i've over eaten and want to purge, i look at it the other way round... i've eaten well today so i don't have to worry about eating anything else for a while.

why might you lose your job angel?
  • Options
    I took a day off with cover, like I thought my manager told me to, cos I needed it for my degree. And he phoned whilst I was away digging and yelled and said we'd discuss it at my CDF, which is tomorrow :(
  • Options
    good luck sweetheart, try not to worry x x x x
  • Options
    i hope it went ok piccolo....let us know.

i managed 24 days this time. then it got to the point where i was having urges so much i started dreaming them. so i did it. but i didn't do it "properly" and now i feel like i need to do it again. :(
  • Options
    I got promoted. Apparently that was the "we need a meeting" thing.

And Xapis, me too. 28 days but otherwise the same.
  • Options
    yay, that's brilliant about the promotion! well done :)

sorry to hear you're in the same position as me, it's definitely not a great place to be.
  • Options
    I've been reading through this again. I shouldn't really. But I actually didn't read too much of it, but I read the posts that I made. My first post...I thought I was quite bad then, but I thought I was getting better. Then I saw the last few posts I've made, and I'm so much worse. Granted, I've all but stopped whacking myself round the head, but the cutting has got much worse. I actually cut now. Whereas all the scars from back then have disappeared. And I've basically given up all hope. Fun.

And the whole thing with Lewin is upsetting me too. He's so wonderful, and I hate it. I love him so much, and the fact that he's so far away and he's SO unavailable just makes me die inside sometimes. But I keep saying stuff that would make him say something so that I can explain things, but then chickening out because I don't want to fuck up my friendship with him. He's the best friend I've ever had, but the more I talk to him, the more I fall in love with him. And everyone, EVERYONE who I've told that I'm going to stay with him has said "doesn't he have a girlfriend?" like there's something going on, and that kinda upsets me too. 'Cause it makes me feel shite for feeling how I do about him, and I feel like I'm going behind his girlfriend's back, even though she knows I'm staying.

I've told him the basics of how I feel, but I can't tell him that when he sits there with his webcam on and no shirt on, I just want to jump on him and do dirty things to him, and that it almost makes me cry because he's soooooo fine. Le sigh. I don't want to say how I feel to him, because it won't change anything, and I won't get what I want from him. *sigh*.

I don't know what I want anymore. I can't tell him. I'm too scared. Fuck. I suck.

And I've had a headache on and off since Tuesday. Fun fun fun. I just feel shite. Again.

Sorry for the rant.

EDIT: well done, Kate, for the promotion :).
  • Options
    Note to self: do not overthink things which should not be overthought.

This isn't gonna work. I'll just keep thinking about it. Over and over til I find hidden meanings that aren't there.

Fuck.
  • Options
    <3

you know where i am x
  • Options
    Dude, never wasting the time. I personally haven't self-harmed for years now, but that doesn't mean that some days I'm not close to it. My step-mother aggravated me last night, and today at work, the knife slipped, it barely caught the skin on my wrist, and even now there's the tiniest red mark, but it brought all the memories flooding back.

Just keep trying mate. You might fall off the wagon, but the worst thing you can do is lie in the dust.
  • Options
    You aren't wasting people's time. That's what this thread is here for.

So you almost did. You didn't, that's what matters. Being very close to cutting and not is really good. I wish I could do that :|.

Also note: friends who say that are not real friend imo.