Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Gavman wrote:
    I dont know :/

When I get worked up and do bad I dont always remeber what I am doing
    Don't bother getting worked up.
  • Options
    Sometimes, I just wish someone would hold me and say "Everything is going to be alright" and to truely mean what they are saying. The world is just so damn complicated, it stresses me, hurts me, and makes me feel more alone.

Just a little story. About 3 weeks ago, I ODed on aspirin. Since I claimed it was an accidental overdose, the hospital didn't have me seek further counciling....but my parents did. When I went to the councilor, I treated it like a job interview. I answered all of the questions with neat, concise answers and tried to be as pleasant as possible. Like at the hospital, I felt like I was wasting everyone's time. I should be able to handle everything. I felt like such a baby, having to tell my problems to someone.

Sorry for the rant, but I just need to get some things off my chest.
  • Options
    Gia wrote:
    Sometimes, I just wish someone would hold me and say "Everything is going to be alright" and to truely mean what they are saying. The world is just so damn complicated, it stresses me, hurts me, and makes me feel more alone.

Just a little story. About 3 weeks ago, I ODed on aspirin. Since I claimed it was an accidental overdose, the hospital didn't have me seek further counciling....but my parents did. When I went to the councilor, I treated it like a job interview. I answered all of the questions with neat, concise answers and tried to be as pleasant as possible. Like at the hospital, I felt like I was wasting everyone's time. I should be able to handle everything. I felt like such a baby, having to tell my problems to someone.

Sorry for the rant, but I just need to get some things off my chest.

Don't feel like you're wasting people's time by talking to them, especially a councillor - it is after all what they're there for. You shouldn't have to go through things on your own either, everyone needs someone to confide in from time to time. The best thing you can do is talk through what you're feeling now before it becomes too hard for you.
  • Options
    The world is a complicated place. Life isn't easy, and shit happens.

That is exactly why you need to lean on other people when you need help, and get the help and support you need. Part of being human is that you simply cannot do everything yourself- you need other people in your life, just as other people need you in their lives.

There's no shame in needing help and support from other people. If you are very depressed you might need professional help, although quite often loving support from a close friend can be as comforting as any number of counsellors. Counsellors cannot help you come to terms with life if you won't let them- they can't get you to talk if you won't talk.

Though I would say this about counselling- a decent counsellor or therapist will often find that the silences say more than the words. My therapist certainly knew more what I was trying to say when I was silent, or tried to stifle tears, or treated it as a test.
  • Options
    Is someone who is incredibly moody considered depressed?

:banghead:
  • Options
    no, they are considered incredibly moody.
  • Options
    I promised myself I wouldn't cut this week. Now there's gashes down my arm. Stupid pointless gashes that had no real reason behind them. Fucks sake. What is fucking wrong with me. Feels like I'm never gonna get better.
  • Options
    Mr_Wobble wrote:
    Having been on quite a few BBS forums, and read quite a few blogs, such as Livejournal, it amazes me that so many people are into self harm. It also amazes me how many people are depressed too.
    I don't think it's a case of self harm becoming "acceptable", I think the phrase "more widely known about" would be better. It can never be acceptable as it's not normal.

Mr_Wobble ;)

it seems like all the depressed people crowed the internet?? its almost live salvation from themselves??

i cannot understand the need to self-harm, but it doesnt mean i cant post an opinoin an that is: to self-harm you need to create a cut in the body, i bet u sit there and watch the blood?

do you instantly feel better? then something happens to get you down and thats your way out again??

personaly, i couldnt hurt my own body! imagine ur deppresed because u have nobody to love, but u meet someone and u hide scaring from self-harming, it might cause a person to withdraw themselves from freinds and family?

im just trying to understand?
  • Options
    O.B wrote:
    im just trying to understand?

full marks for trying, but you won't fully understand if it hasn't happened to you.
  • Options
    I promised myself I wouldn't cut this week. Now there's gashes down my arm. Stupid pointless gashes that had no real reason behind them. Fucks sake. What is fucking wrong with me. Feels like I'm never gonna get better.

hey you,

don't punish yourself, it's done. getting angry at yourself won't change the fact that it happened. you're doing well kirsty, and yeah, you made a mistake but you can pick yourself up and carry on. i know you can.

take care honey

janey
    xxx
  • Options
    I've booked a doctors appointment and its on Monday at 3.15pm. I'm absolutely terrified. I'm so scared of talking to a doctor about my depression. I can't just walk in and say "I feel like shit" I don't know if I can do it. *cries* I've got to though. I know I have got to. I'm so scared. :crying:

you can, and you will. just be honest with your doctor else you won't get the help you need. good luck.
  • Options
    I can't just walk in and say "I feel like shit"
    Yes you can. I did. You know what I think, Stace. I know you can do this, you can because you have to. You can't keep living like this. There are people out there that love you and don't like seeing you like this.

I know it's hard. I know, and you know I know. But you need to do it. I know it, and you know it.

You have my number if you need me <3 xx
  • Options
    Good luck sweetie. I'm not here so much these days but I'm still around if you need owt.

xxx
  • Options
    Don't fret too much about what you are going to say, because it isn't that important what you say. Say that you feel like poo, and explain in what ways you are feeling like poo, and a decent doctor will listen.

It's what I did- I went in, said I felt like crap, and got help. Firstly ADs and a suggested visit to the university counsellor, but when that didn't work my ADs wre upped and I was referred to a psychiatric unit.

If you are worried about what to say write down how you feel, and take that with you to the appointment. Either you can use it as something to give you confidence in what you're saying, or you could just hand it to your doctor.

You'll be right.
  • Options
    Your doctor will love you if you are open and actually tell him what is on your mind. He may even be able to help. :)

Good luck.
  • Options
    Stace, first time I went to the doctors I was terrified..didn't know what to say, the works. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, you will feel nervous, but its the best thing i've ever done.sometimes the things that are the most trying have the best results. we're all here over the weekend and whenever if you need us :)
  • Options
    I've never gone for help. To suddenly go and see a doctor and explain everything scares me a little. I am scared I am just going to freeze in front of the doctor not knowing what to say.
    I'll be honest...

Recovering from depression ain't easy, there's no quick fix solution... In fact it's one of the harder battles myself and millions of others have fought, but it is without a doubt the most worthwhile. I understand that a lot of people will read this and probably think I'm talking out of my arse when I say this because depression is just like that, it's like being stuck in a smokey glass bubble, it's emotionally suffocating and painful as hell...

Recovering can be a long process, but at the same time it's something very profound and beautiful... A difficult and sometimes frightening journey, but one where you find out so much about yourself that you didn't know, your potential and your strengths.

Going to a doctors is frightening, but it's the first step to recovery. When I first went I was frightened of being judged because that was all (I felt) I knew, but it was completely the opposite. Councilling again is frightening, especially if you're ashamed of who you are, it feels like you're obliged by the world to feel guilty and ashamed because you think you're a person who makes a lot of mistakes and who isn't good enough, but the councillors and therapists don't see you like that and they'll help you lift that veil of guilt off your shoulders if you let them.

Uhm I don't know what else to say. I really do wish the best for you guys and I honestly believe you all have the strength inside you to conquer this illness.

You guys are warriors, aiii!
  • Options
    to be honest i'm not sure if the doctor will put you on AD's straight away. of course, it depends how severe it is, but when i went to see my doctor at uni last year, she sorted out some counselling for me to see how much that helped to start with. if they do decide to put you on AD's though, they'll go through everything with you to work out what the best option is.

i was terrified when i went, i got my friend to come with me and wait in the waiting room just so i knew someone was around. when i first walked in i sat there for ages and really didn't think i was going to be able to do it. but in the end, i knew i needed help and i wanted help so i just told her basically how i was feeling. then she asked me questions to get the full story...

it will be hard, but believe me, you'll feel so much better once you've done it. it will help. good luck. xx
  • Options
    You should definitely go to the doctors. If you decide you don't want to do what they suggest, then you don't have to,it's your choice but I really do think you should go along and talk to them anyway just to see what they do suggest. And also because I think it will make you feel at least a little better, knowing you've done something. It's the first step.

I didn't want counselling, i was more scared of that than i was of going to the doctors but looking back im SO glad i did go. I'm still going now and to be honest it's the only thing that's helped me. the first few sessions were hard.. I'm not really the sort of person that talks about my problems so talking to them to a stranger was so hard. but it hepled and it's still helping now.

i was at a different uni last year and had the most amazing friends who would do anything to help me but i still couldnt talk to them about my problems because it's just not me.. but i was able to talk to a counsellor for some reason. at my uni this year, im not that close to anyone yet and im a long way from home so im keeping up with the counselling just so i dont bottle everything up.

it's not for everyone though, just like AD's arent for everyone. that's what you should go to the doctors to find out exactly what help is available to you and so they can help sort out the best thing for you and what's going to help you the most.

you sound just like i was last year, i made so many appointments to see the doctor but either cancelled or got into the room and made up some other excuse for being there. but that didnt help, i just felt worse because i knew i needed advice and help and knew i wanted it, which is why in the end i told them what was wrong. you don't have to go into a huge amount of detail but please try and tell them as much as you can because that's the only way they'll be able to help you properly.

is there noone at all that can go with you, just to sit in the waiting room? that really helped me. but if there isn't, you can still do it. i havent been on these boards that long but i can see that so many people on here care a lot about you and will be thinking of you, so think of them, and your boyfriend, and think of yourself and you will be able to do it. x
  • Options
    i was quite severely depressed but have had 18mths of AD's and psychotherapy. Its helped, but not enough. But what else can be done now? going to feel shit for ever?
  • Options
    It takes time, and it takes effort. ADs and therapy aren't miracle cures, but they do make a difference.

Give it time. It took me nearly three years of therapy to get better enough to not need it anymore.
  • Options
    good luck, you'll be fine..try not to get yourself worked up. obviously i don't know how you feel but i do in the sense of worrying about something. just remind yourself that they're there to help you and deal with cases of people being depressed/self harming on a day to day basis.
  • Options
    I started self harming recently. The last 10 weeks or so. I am find it very difficult right now. It's so hard to not do it. I am scared really. I forget things. I can never remember how it felt, why I did, what upset me. It's just a big meter of emotions and it says 'OVERLOAD'.

I talked to a teacher. Nobody else knows. We've decided to try the elastic band technique, where you put it round your wrist and twang it when you need to. I feel like it defeats the object of stopping self harm and I really do want to stop. But it is a step forward. :)
  • Options
    well done stace :) was the doctor nice and stuff yeh? sounds like he was helpful.
  • Options
    well done chuck :)
  • Options
    That was a big step, well done. xxxxxxx
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    A general question, if you think someone say.. A friend is a manic depressive, with a possibility to become an alcoholic, who would be the best person for them to talk to?

Just like... out of interest.
  • Options
    GP.

If they did suspect manic depression he/she would most likely be diagnosed and treated by a psychiatrist.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    They currently see a counsiler for a differant thing entierly, would it be advisable for my friend to talk to them about it?
  • Options
    i posted the other day moaning about therapy not helping enough, well, tueday i finally opened up a little to my therapist after over a year of appts and i gave her a notebook/diary ive kept for the last month for her to read.
    Was so hard for me to do, but really hope theres something we can work on now.
    She says i dissociate a lot. Not really sure whether thats really bad or what.
    hey ho.