Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    swank wrote:
    I self harmed last nite after 25 days si free. I'm still wokring out how I feel about it. I'm pretty down generally. I need to tell my boyfriend I guess but I don't really wnt to as we've been having hard time recently hes not said anythnig but I get the impression im hard to deal with nad im scared this'll push him even futher away from me.

Some people cannot deal with things like self harm. I think that is natural. If he cannot help you then you need to find your support from elsewhere, simple as. However, you *should* tell him. You don't want him to just find your new scars. I think that would cause strain too.

Also, think of it, not as you you failed last night but as 25 days cut free. Which is quite an achievement. Maybe this time, aim for more :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *gone*
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    swank wrote:
    Longest since I started (4/5) years so I'm pleased with it!

Congratulations. Have some :birthday:

That being the case, your boyfriend should be proud of you, nothing else.
  • Options
    I managed a week just now - although I was still making myself sick so maybe it doesn't really count - but then I got really upset and I'm kinda lonely at the moment because it's the second week of uni hols and everyone's away and I did it quite badly and now I'm pissed off. I still feel kinda pleased that I got through a reeeeally shitty week without it but it's frustrating all the same.

Swank, congrats, I hope you can keep it up. One slip isn't the end of the world and 25 days is fantastic.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    hey.

tis about time I posted here.

everyone who thought 'Jane will never get better she's useless' was right.

yeah, you told me so. yay for you.
  • Options
    Hey there

Well I personally never thought you were useless. So what's going on with you right now that you are so down on yourself? Want/ need to share?

Take care hon,

Susie Xx
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Been a while since I've been here, am gonna go out to a party shortly to keep me level-headed. Basically, have relationship concerns, thrown by the whole commitment thing,speaking to ex's, one whose just a gentleman, one who has caused muchos pain for me in my current relationship. Saw the face of a past crush who I still feel jelly-like over, stressed at college, want to go to uni so bad, driving lessons have to be arranged...I just feel like loads is going on...everything just happening around me and I'm a sod for a change, I hate it. I'm doubting how I feel about my bloke and everytime I've done that, I've panicked, done stupid things, lost control. I don't feel in control. I'm going home feeling terrible...because I think things, question my relationship, get myself worked up trying to pinpoint how I feel. When I'm with him it's great accept when we argue about the ex who won't leave me alone. And then the other my bloke said about my 18th coming up, not to dress to attract attention, avoiding...blokes...and I feel over-protected and young!!! So very young to have had so much happent to me in my life,things I couldn't control. My futures being planned to a certain degree, which I like and yet don't cause it gives me restraint. So...I'm panicking, getting all worked up, thinking about it, thinking about cutting. And it's scary...my bf, was messing around at college with him and his bracelet caught my wrist and skinned it slightly...delicious redmark...it's enough at the moment to keep looking at it...but I'm getting scared - I'm lacking control...don't know what to do...

Malt xxx :(
  • Options
    Just feeling low. looking up self harming and depression. I guess thereare a lot of us.

Does anyone else get annoyed when people say antidepressents are wrong cos they restrict moods and area drain on the econamy and NHS (im british btw) ignore typing - feeling low etc.

Recently there been mps in elecetion manefestos saying antidepressants shouldnt be given out cos everyone gets sad. These people have never even been near someone with depression have they? the days of not being able to pull youself out of bed, the shouting at and pushing away of all those close to you, the inability to eat they dont have a fucking clue.

Maytbe im just stressed at moment. dissertation to do, the worry of getting work, im just coming to the end of my nursing degree. But all i ever do is shout at my boyfriend and tell him he hates me. a wonder hes still about really.

Just wanted to get it off my chest
  • Options
    i self-harmed a few months back. now i look back on it there wasnt a good enough reason for it. i was just not coping with problems, mainly i get ignored a lot at school. january did have quite a few problems for me though, which affected me a lot. i dont think i was depressed though. 1 in 10 people self-harm, but only 1 in 100 people have a real problem, which i spose is quite bad.
  • Options
    Was watching This Morning...this morning...eh hem..and they were flashing up statistics between talking about depression and one was "1 in 5 people still think that people with depression just need to 'pull themselves together'.."

I know...loads of people like that...jut putting in 2 pence there...!

Malt xx :)
  • Options
    Was watching This Morning...this morning...eh hem..and they were flashing up statistics between talking about depression and one was "1 in 5 people still think that people with depression just need to 'pull themselves together'.."

A lot of my friends used to think like that. They aren't my friends anymore. There's only one person who's said something like that and is still my friend, and that's purely because he was joking.

Having said that, some of the people who have "depression" nowadays (i.e. my stepsister, who went through depression for omg two months and thinks it was the worst thing that could have ever happened to anyone) probably do just need to pull themselves together and get a wee bit of perspective. But that's the minority.

Although the issue at hand here is...why were you watching This Morning :|?
  • Options
    A lot of my friends used to think like that. They aren't my friends anymore. There's only one person who's said something like that and is still my friend, and that's purely because he was joking.

Having said that, some of the people who have "depression" nowadays (i.e. my stepsister, who went through depression for omg two months and thinks it was the worst thing that could have ever happened to anyone) probably do just need to pull themselves together and get a wee bit of perspective. But that's the minority.

Although the issue at hand here is...why were you watching This Morning :|?

Actually ,it was GMTV...because that makes it better... :p
  • Options
    Actually ,it was GMTV...because that makes it better... :p
    *pats* I think you need to see someone love :p
  • Options

yup got those exact words from my boss when i took my sick note in . :banghead:
  • Options
    yup got those exact words from my boss when i took my sick note in . :banghead:
    Are you serious? That's fucking...just...NO. That's made me angry now...heh.

What a bastard tbh.
  • Options
    My ex bf told me to pull myself together because there was nothing wrong with my life...cept him really...when I told my current bf, I had this idea in my head that he wouldn't want to know me, would be disgusted and tell me I was just being stupid...but no, he's a good, supportive lad :)

My grandad suffers with SAD...my mum said it was all in his head and that he was just attenion seeking, everytime on the phone to him like "Pull yourself together, you're just being stupid. We've all got lives to lead, stop being stupid, you're just feeling sad"...pissed me off alot. She doesn't know about me, so it's like, I understand my grandad in some respects...my mama just doesn't have a clue!

• Options
    My mum does that actually.

"You should learn to cope with your emotions, you shouldn't have to do that to yourself every time." Gah.
  • Options
    feels like im giving up. well i am. and i just have no one to talk to.
  • Options
    feels like im giving up. well i am. and i just have no one to talk to.
    You have me?
  • Options
    Although i don't cut myself, my sister did and i've had friends that used to and what i find is that, while my sister was going through some really nasty stuff, and while she had reasons for self harm, she didnt tell anyone. i'm not even sure if she told her closest friends, whereas my friends kind of wave their scarred arms around, going "i'm so depressed, boo hoo". if you ask them what's wrong, they say something like "i broke up with my boyfriend of a WEEK.". stuff like that really irritates me, cos i saw how my sister was when she was clinically depressed, and mym mum was clinically depressed when my dad left. its fucking scary cos there's nothing you can do about it, they have to get through it on their own, more or less. so people cutting themselves because it's fashionable receive fuck all sympathy from me because it's attention seeking-they just want people to go "what;s wrong?" so they can shake their heads martyr'dly(sp?) and go "Oh nothing". those people SHOULD become depressed, just so they know the meaning of the word they;re throwing around.

Sorry if that became an anti depression rant, it;s something i feel quite strongly about :blush:

Anna xxxx
  • Options
    AmsyBamsy wrote:
    Although i don't cut myself, my sister did and i've had friends that used to and what i find is that, while my sister was going through some really nasty stuff, and while she had reasons for self harm, she didnt tell anyone. i'm not even sure if she told her closest friends, whereas my friends kind of wave their scarred arms around, going "i'm so depressed, boo hoo". if you ask them what's wrong, they say something like "i broke up with my boyfriend of a WEEK.". stuff like that really irritates me, cos i saw how my sister was when she was clinically depressed, and mym mum was clinically depressed when my dad left. its fucking scary cos there's nothing you can do about it, they have to get through it on their own, more or less. so people cutting themselves because it's fashionable receive fuck all sympathy from me because it's attention seeking-they just want people to go "what;s wrong?" so they can shake their heads martyr'dly(sp?) and go "Oh nothing". those people SHOULD become depressed, just so they know the meaning of the word they;re throwing around.

Sorry if that became an anti depression rant, it;s something i feel quite strongly about :blush:

Anna xxxx
    Hear hear tbh *claps*
  • Options
    Is it ok to show my scars d'you reckon?

I would never, ever show any cuts and I won't let on to anyone that it's any more than an old problem but if I hide my arms all summer again the scars will never heal properly.

What do you think? Does it look attention-seeking if I never call attention to it? As I see it, I'm not proud of it, but it's part of who I am now and I need to accept it.
  • Options
    You have me?
    And me.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Is it ok to show my scars d'you reckon?

I would never, ever show any cuts and I won't let on to anyone that it's any more than an old problem but if I hide my arms all summer again the scars will never heal properly.

What do you think? Does it look attention-seeking if I never call attention to it? As I see it, I'm not proud of it, but it's part of who I am now and I need to accept it.
    No. You don't need to. They're a part of you and you shouldn't have to hide them.

If you aren't saying OMG LOOK AT MY SCARS then it's not attention seeking in the slightest.
  • Options
    I have to drop one of my a levels coz im struggling so much. which means i cant go to uni. effective life over.
  • Options
    I have to drop one of my a levels coz im struggling so much. which means i cant go to uni. effective life over.
    Oh honey :heart: that sucks :(

I don't really know what to say apart from *hugs*
  • Options
    nothing anyone can say. i have to decide whether its worth my health continuing to deteriorate and me risking failing them all or give up on one that i love.lifes a cunt.
  • Options
    nothing anyone can say. i have to decide whether its worth my health continuing to deteriorate and me risking failing them all or give up on one that i love.lifes a cunt.
    Oh god. I know that's gotta be so hard, but I don't want your health to get any worse honey.