Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    me either.which is why im so torn. and naturally my teachers are saying they don't want me to but understand why i feel i have to and will support me whatever. and my best mate says stick it out and my so called boyfriend says quit.:mad:
  • Options
    me either.which is why im so torn. and naturally my teachers are saying they don't want me to but understand why i feel i have to and will support me whatever. and my best mate says stick it out and my so called boyfriend says quit.:mad:
    Do what you think's best for you, honey. I know that's hard for you but if you feel you need to quit then you should. You may be able to take it another time when it's easier for you? I'd so much rather you were doing something when you were able to do it and when it wasn't going to affect your health.

Do what you think is best for you and don't let them change your mind. They should stick by you whatever <3
  • Options
    yeh. i've been thinking about it all weekend, all today and i still dont know what to do.
  • Options
    Keep thinking until you're sure. I don't want you to do something you may regret.
  • Options
    Thanks Franki, I needed that my friends have all had enough of me
  • Options
    Thanks Franki, I needed that my friends have all had enough of me
    Don't worry about it :). I think you probably needed an outsider's perspective anyway :).

PM me or something if you want to talk about anything ok? I shall always listen :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Don't worry about it :). I think you probably needed an outsider's perspective anyway :).

PM me or something if you want to talk about anything ok? I shall always listen :)

Same offer stands for me too Kirsty.

*hugs*
  • Options
    oh well i dunno apart from the meet i dunno what i have to lie for i suppose i'll just punish myself for wasting space on this earth.

ah well even the mental halth people have given up on me so at least i know i really am pathetic
  • Options
    i'm sure you're not pathetic.

mental health teams are often not helpful unless you are at absolute crisis point

clicke the link in my sig if you want some support - i'm around there more than here, and there are plaenty of people there who will understand
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    oh well i dunno apart from the meet i dunno what i have to lie for i suppose i'll just punish myself for wasting space on this earth.

ah well even the mental halth people have given up on me so at least i know i really am pathetic
    Remember what I said to you Gav honey. I'm always on the other end of a phone if you need me to be :heart:
  • Options
    You have me?

And don't forget me! ! :wave:
    A xxxx
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:

don't worry, matey. they gave up on me 4 years ago and i'm still kicking :)
    I have to drop one of my a levels coz im struggling so much. which means i cant go to uni. effective life over.

not over. just different.

i ended my first go of upper sixth with one A level and an AS level. I started the sixth form doing 5 A levels, so felt like an immense plonker and huge failure. gave up on life. after some months realised i was being ridiculous, went back the year after, did 2 more A levels and another AS, went to uni 2 years after everyone else, didn't make a huge difference. still have a life.
  • Options
    Trip down memory lame.
    Gavman wrote:

Hey! I know you're username from forum.psyke.org. :wave:
    Fucking mental health "professionals" useless i tell you!
  • Options
    hi2u :wave:

hehe yar i 100% agree about the music thing! :thumb:

hope that rant helped ya feel better :)

oh and happy birthday for friday :birthday:

(ooo look at all the smilies i used :p)
  • Options
    i haved sorted out my french problem. i can keep doing it and attend no lessons s'long as i get a doctors note. my supposed boyfriend is infact a complete and utter cunt. I won't get started because I'll never stop but its on my lj friends only though but yes. You cant see a lot of arm. Its so fucking satisfy. And no one can hurt me if they're not close. Only I can hurt myself.
  • Options
    I love you all. A xxx
    (methinks the heartfelt admissions may have something to do with this)
    I hope people feel better and have help getting sorted out soon.
    A xx
  • Options
    i haved sorted out my french problem. i can keep doing it and attend no lessons s'long as i get a doctors note. my supposed boyfriend is infact a complete and utter cunt. I won't get started because I'll never stop but its on my lj friends only though but yes. You cant see a lot of arm. Its so fucking satisfy. And no one can hurt me if they're not close. Only I can hurt myself.
    Oh Kirsty honey *hugs*.

Take care of yourself honey, it'll be ok, I promise :heart:
  • Options
    I'm posting here because I really don't know what to do, if there is even anything I can do.

There is this girl I know from online, who has began selfharming quite a lot and keeps writing stuff about it and how worthless she is. Basically, she's majorly depressed. Since she lives in another continent, there's obviously not much I can do, but I do find this so hard to deal with because she does not want to seek help. She's even said that she doesn't want to change.

Do any of you have any ideas regarding what I could possibly do? I have been gathering information about self harming and I have never blamed her for what she's doing or how she's feeling, but I feel so helpless and this is getting me down. I truly want to be a friend to her, but I just do not quite know how to do that.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    I'm posting here because I really don't know what to do, if there is even anything I can do.

There is this girl I know from online, who has began selfharming quite a lot and keeps writing stuff about it and how worthless she is. Basically, she's majorly depressed. Since she lives in another continent, there's obviously not much I can do, but I do find this so hard to deal with because she does not want to seek help. She's even said that she doesn't want to change.

Do any of you have any ideas regarding what I could possibly do? I have been gathering information about self harming and I have never blamed her for what she's doing or how she's feeling, but I feel so helpless and this is getting me down. I truly want to be a friend to her, but I just do not quite know how to do that.

I'm the same as you - have an internet friend. All he talks of is wanting to die, how people hate him etc...he just won't help himself. It's difficult, you cannot physically do anything for her I'm afraid, talk to her, make suggestions as to how to help herself, and now you have information help her to understand that this is something she's not a lone on, that she can gain help and such. Sorry am not a lot of use, I'd love similar responses to this because, he was threatening to kill himself the other night and I've not heard from him...feeling really worried and yet at the same time, I met him through this, I don't 'owe' him nothing etc...but what to help him...such a decent bloke but cause I have a bf, I have no idea what it's like to be a lone apparently...even though I've been exactly the saem as him before.

Malt xx
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:

It's a good first step that you care about her welfare. Take a read of this article about supporting a self harmer - it might give you some useful tips, and there are plenty of other articles to help you understand it all a bit more (just click on the links down the left hand side).

Keep letting her know that however far away you are, you are always there to talk.
  • Options
    I have to drop one of my a levels coz im struggling so much. which means i cant go to uni. effective life over.

Try to take it one step at a time. Like Kaffrin said, you can do it slower, in your own time, and still get to uni. If you make your studies more manageable now, you'll be able to cope a bit better, rather than trying to do too much at once and end up burning out. Your life doesn't have to be over at all - it might just take a bit longer to get where you're going, but you will get there. Take care x
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    Try to take it one step at a time. Like Kaffrin said, you can do it slower, in your own time, and still get to uni. If you make your studies more manageable now, you'll be able to cope a bit better, rather than trying to do too much at once and end up burning out. Your life doesn't have to be over at all - it might just take a bit longer to get where you're going, but you will get there. Take care x

Yeh. I just get really worked up over things and it feels like everythings crashing around me. I've had some new ideas, might go work abroad next year, and then I can retake any modules if need be as I study languages so will be contstantly learning over there anyway.
  • Options
    Thank you, malteser monkey and spanner. I think I set her off somehow two days ago, not seen her since. We haven't been talking much the past few weeks and I am wondering if she may feel I've let her down for that reason. I'm trying to not let it affect me too much while making sure she knows I will listen to her if she feels like talking. Guess there isn't much else I can do right now.
  • Options
    Fleh

I self harm. I cut my arm and sometimes my wrist but i never thought of it as depression but my friends keepsaying i should do something about it seeing as i cant stop. Help would be nice. :confused:
  • Options
    Self-harming is often seen as a coping device dealing with difficult situations within your life, offering you a sense of control. Some get addicted to it. Some, myself included have found that they cut and particularly destressing and low points in their life, which have resulted in depression, and this sense of lack of control in your moods and life are helped by cutting.

What makes YOU want to cut?
  • Options
    i think you need to find a better way to cope with stress or whatever is bothering you in your life...next time you feel the urge to cut your arms or whatever just take a deep breathe, count back from 10 in your head and think of an ocean or something like that...might work
  • Options
    A close friend of mine self-harms. It kills me to see her cuts, knowing that there's nothing I can do (I try and I try and I won't stop trying to help her), makes me feel like utter shit. Today, I had a shite day, had a bit too much alcohol, and decided to pick up the blade, regreted it the moment the blade touched my skin.

I see how it can become an addiction. I would never let her know I tried it. I just, I need to understand. I need to make her stop. Everytime I think she may be doing it, I think of what I can be doing to help her. The fact that I can't be there for her all the time kills me. The thought that when she's doing it, one slip of the wrist can mean the end, I'll never see her again, it's too much to bear. I don't know what to do.
  • Options
    Hi there

It's good that you care about your friend. She obviously means a lot to you, however you can't MAKE her stop self harming. She has to be ready to do it herself. You can be there for her though for both distraction and listening. I don't know if you have read our self harm section on TheSite but it has a lot of good advice and linkage within it as does the rest of this thread.

http://www.thesite.org.uk/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm

Young Minds Parent's Information Service - A telephone service providing information and advice for anyone with concerns about the mental health of a child or young person. Young people can also phone for information on self-harm.
    Helpline: 0800 018 2138 (Mon and Fri 10am - 1pm & Tues, Weds, Thurs 1pm - 4pm)

Make sure you take care of yourself too. If you need a listening ear for how you are feeling about your mate you could try and calling the folowing confidential helpline:

Careline:Telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults on any issue, including relationships, depression, mental health, child abuse, addictions, stress etc.
    Web: www.careline.org.uk
    Tel: 020 8875 0500

Look after yourself,

Susie Xx
  • Options
    I haven't posted here for several weeks now, so just an update. Last week, I cut myself with a piece of glass last week, and felt terrible about it the morning afterwards. I think I'm slowly getting better, though. As for depression, its hold seems to be weakening. :)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I haven't posted here for several weeks now, so just an update. Last week, I cut myself with a piece of glass last week, and felt terrible about it the morning afterwards. I think I'm slowly getting better, though. As for depression, its hold seems to be weakening. :)

*GURT HUG* wooot! :) I'm really glad, I've managed to shake off my negative thoughts. At the moment (though this probably isn't a positive thing) I keep ending up with scratches (from bracelets, the puppy etc...) around my hands and wrists and arms, and it seems to give me a sense of calm.

Glad you're feeling more positive xx