Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have any of the cutters here started small and then moved on to something much larger? I used to just dig at my skin with my nails, but I was so upset today that I took out a scissors and sliced. I was so appalled with what I did. I put on long sleeves, but I pulled up my sleeve and looked at it, like I'm kind of proud or something. I'm some kind of a twisted fuck. Lord, I've been trying so hard to stop, but it just keeps getting harder.
  • Options
    That's what I did.

I used to claw and pick at my skin, and jab myself with a compass, but on my 18th birthday it all got too much and I held some scissors to my arm and just pressed down and cut myself all over my arm.

Pride is a perfectly natural and normal feeling to have. If you have cut in order to mutilate yourself, in order to deal with anger towards yourself, then it is natural to feel pride at the damage you have caused. I used to sit there watching the blood trickle down my arms and my chest, and I felt a perverted pride in what I'd done. I'd defaced myself, I deserved it and I'd done a good job.

It certainly doesn't make you abnormal to feel pride at your handiwork.
  • Options
    I'm so pissed off, I can't stop yet again and I stupidly wore a loose-sleeved top to a club last night so someone saw and asked really publicly what had happened. I know she didn't believe my feeble excuse.

On the sort-of plus side someone took me aside and said she has the same problem sometimes, which was kinda good to know, but I'm so embarrassed that people here know now. I wanted to keep it to myself. Shit.

And it hurts. :( I'm so angry about all this I'm really fighting not to just do it again.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

It certainly doesn't make you abnormal to feel pride at your handiwork.

yeah.

it quotes me as saying that in my case study thing.

doesn't that make me sound good.
  • Options
    this time next week i will be on new fake emotion pills, have a counselling appt and i'm really really really scared. it's all so humilating.it's ok to feel like this right?
  • Options
    I can't stop...and I don't like it :(

It's been like...8 months since I was doing it this regularly. Fuckfuckfuck.
  • Options
    I can't stop...and I don't like it :(

It's been like...8 months since I was doing it this regularly. Fuckfuckfuck.

Franki sweetie, listen to me.

If I can stop, you can. You are a million times stronger than me. You are a lovely special girlie with so much going for you, loads of friends and respect coming from all over the place towards you. Does the fact that you made 8 months not tell you anything? You pulled yourself through the shit before, you can do it again. You'll get there honey, I promise you will.

Be careful with yourself :heart:
  • Options
    this time next week i will be on new fake emotion pills, have a counselling appt and i'm really really really scared. it's all so humilating.it's ok to feel like this right?
    Absolutely ok and totally normal to be nervous. I'm in pretty much the same place right now, I had to ask someone I barely even know to fill in a weird assessment thing of me because no one at uni knows me well enough to do it, really, and the new counselling place I'm going to insists it refers to the last 6 months (the time I've been at uni). Growl. I haven't given it to him yet, I'm really quite embarrassed but it's just got to be done I guess.

And, Franki, massive hugs. I know exactly how you feel (although I never stopped for that long, only about 6-7 weeks but I did manage to slow down for a while) and it fucking sucks. I'm trying so hard to stop but I can't and I think my friends at uni may have worked out that I do it which is mortifying.

Feel free to IM me, either of you, if you want to chat. I know I don't talk much but if I'm online it usually means I'm free.
  • Options
    I dont want to sound like a moaning fuck, but i feel so down atm, with everything that is going on at home and school and being ill on top, i feel so stupid and upset all the time, itry to be bubbly and smily but people see through it and know that im down & often make i worse by forcing me to tell them. i have cut my self for about 3/4 yrs, but recently i havent done it (about 2 minths) now with being ill, i really feel like doing it! i really dont want to as the tests i have will be on my arms, where i cu myself! & i cant be bothered with the hassal of explaining why ive done it again. can anone sugest something else, i really dont want to go down this road again! but i feel like my life is spiralling out of control!
  • Options
    takea deep breath and try to calm down. i know it's hard to stop. i used to self-harm but have managed to not do it for 3 years now.

I know feeling ill makes you feel like shit and want to do it again, but if you've managed to stop for 2 months, set yourself another deadline of 2 months to not do it again. just take it a couple of monts at a time. i'm sure you can do it!
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    And, Franki, massive hugs. I know exactly how you feel (although I never stopped for that long, only about 6-7 weeks but I did manage to slow down for a while) and it fucking sucks. I'm trying so hard to stop but I can't and I think my friends at uni may have worked out that I do it which is mortifying.

My friends don't know anything :|. I can't tell them, because it would upset them too much...and tbh I think a lot of them would just say I'm doing it for attention.

Jane - I did do it inbetween those 8 months, but only once or twice. Never this much...it's like...at least 4 times a week. I guess that sounds quite a lot...but I never do it that badly...people think I'm stronger than I am...I know what you're saying, and I'm trying. I really am *sigh*
  • Options
    I am so weak! i cant believe i did it! when i was tidying my room i found a screw driver and my lighter, so i heated it up & burned my arm in 2 places! now it has gone all red and septic! if my mum finds out she is gonna go off her head!! anyone no how long a burn takes 2 heal. i havent burned myself before, i normally cut! also if i pick @ it will it stay longer?
  • Options
    You should get a doctor to look at it (don't worry they won't tell your mum) if you genuinely think it's septic and not just a weepy blister.

And, yes, if you pick it it will probably heal much more slowly and it's more likely to scar.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    You should get a doctor to look at it (don't worry they won't tell your mum) if you genuinely think it's septic and not just a weepy blister.

And, yes, if you pick it it will probably heal much more slowly and it's more likely to scar.
    :yes: What she said

May I also suggest investing in some Savlon or Sudocrem or something...helps it heal quicker.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    You should get a doctor to look at it

but if i go to the doctors, wont they ask how i got it! i havent told my doctor about my self harm! i normally wear long sleaved tops over there! i dont want all the Qs and the hassle!! i dont tell anyone, i only asked for advice on here coz no1 nos me!
  • Options
    but if i go to the doctors, wont they ask how i got it! i havent told my doctor about my self harm! i normally wear long sleaved tops over there! i dont want all the Qs and the hassle!! i dont tell anyone, i only asked for advice on here coz no1 nos me!
    Tell them you accidentally burnt yourself if you don't want them to know. I guess they might be a bit skeptical, but I really don't think they'd push it, I don't think they're allowed. You really should get them to look at it, 'cause if it's septic it'll look terrible after it's healed, and it's dangerous (well, of course).
  • Options
    *deleted*
  • Options
    I was really depressed a couple of years back (bullying issues), and there were times when I hated myself so much I felt I should punish myself for being so stupid, and I was really close to harming myself. I was actually sitting there at my desk with my compasses, but I wimped out after I scratched my skin a little tiny bit. I don't think I'd ever do it again. Too chicken.

I'm all better now though. Good luck to everyone who's depressed at the moment - you'll make it through okay. :)

I am very glad you didnt do it..and proud of you. I self harmed for alot of years until I met a wonderful man who saw things in me i didnt knw were there...but forever I will live with the scars and the shame.....please dont do that to yourself...It is a horrible thing to live with. As I am sure many SIers can agree.
  • Options
    Argh. Rant. I don't get why things are so shit when everything on the face of it is going so well. I have some amazing friends at uni, who I really like and who actually seem to like me which is a new concept... and I'm really enjoying being part of the LGB and was just re-elected as co-president (or president really cos I don't have another co-pres!) and my work's ok even if I'm not getting As the whole time and yet when I get the slightest chance I just seem to end up feeling like shit and cutting myself or vanishing into the toilets to make myself sick and then pretending for all the world that there's nothing wrong.

My friends don't really know what's going on, the only guy I've told in detail alternates between being really supportive and really flippant (and, at one point, telling me off for going to a psychotherapy appointment because he doesn't believe in counselling) and it's all driving me mad.

Anyway I guess it's good that I've got back into the NHS mental health services after coming to uni but the appointments are obviously a bit stressful in themselves (just getting to Finchley Road and not getting lost finding the clinic proved a task and a half!) and I don't cut more than daily any more. Sometimes only every 2 or 3 days which isn't so bad. I just feel like I should be ok, especially since everyone thinks I am, and I'm not.
  • Options
    should i go to the doctor or go straight to hospital if im feeling suicidal?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Gavman wrote:

Probably straight to A&E methinks. *hugs*

EDIT: I've PMed ya.

Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    *stupidly large amount of hugs*

What littlemissy said...and also :heart:
  • Options
    I just posted this in my LJ...but I thought I would put it here too...

"I've just been looking at [this thread]...I got to about page 35...then I started feeling so stupid. Like...all the stuff I wrote on there, I feel really bad about it because people have done so much worse and what I did was nothing compared to that.

And like...[Kirsty]'s posts about it being so hard for her to go without doing it for even a week...I feel bad because she tries so hard (<3 Kirsty) to not do it for that long but for me it's so easy usually. Unless I'm feeling really shitty, it's so easy for me not to do it...and I was finding it easy having not done it for 4 months. It kinda feels like it's unfair on them that I don't do it as badly...I know that sounds stupid but that's how my head is seeing it. I haven't done it in about a week because I don't have time...:|

It's just made me feel really shitty. God, I'm so stupid. Ignore me, I don't know what I'm talking about."
  • Options
    You've been having a good time of it, and that's not their problem,. In good times it's very easy not to cut, it doesn't mean that you are stupid for succumbing to the addiction when things aren't going well.

Degree of seriousness is a stupid thing to judge, because it's all so very personal. I didn't cut that badly compared to a lot of people, but I was considered a such a high risk that I was effectively bumped right to the top of an NHS psychotherapy waiting list: you don't get much mroe high risk without being sectioned. personal tolerances and personal experiences are so different that to compare your pain and suffering with someone else's is stupid, pointless, and serves no purpose other than as a way for you to "prove" to yourself that you're a stupid fuck.

If there was nothing wrong you wouldn't do it, fact. So because some people perhaps have more wrong is irrelevant.

ETA: PM or MSN, or have you ever tried emailing jo@samaritans.org ?
  • Options
    I keep meaning to...but I can never think of what to say...

I know it's stupid for me to think it, and I know all of what you said is true...which is why I don't really understand why I feel as guilty as I do...*sighsighsigh*

I'm on MSN, by the way :p. Although I have to go out soon...
  • Options
    Franki ^^ listen to Kermit, he knows what he's talking about. xXx

Edited coz i tried to quote cept i couldn't make it work :impissed:
  • Options
    Franki ^^ listen to Kermit, he knows what he's talking about. xXx

Edited coz i tried to quote cept i couldn't make it work :impissed:
    I know he does. It was kind of a moment of madness I think...hm.
  • Options
    Fuck shit wanking bollocking FUCKING ARSEWIPING CRAP.

My mother just walked on me getting changed, and she saw what I did to the top of my leg...I mean...it's just over a week old and it's pretty much just scar tissue now...so it wasn't that bad...

But she's really pissed off and I knew that would happen I knew she'd say it and she was all "you need to stop"...I can't do it :(
  • Options
    You can stop it, but it takes an awful lot of willpower, far more than the average depressive ever has. SH is an addiction like any other, so you can stop it.

I'm hoping that one day your cutting won't work for you; that happened to me, and it broke the cycle. It didn't work, so I didn't reach for the blades.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You can stop it, but it takes an awful lot of willpower, far more than the average depressive ever has. SH is an addiction like any other, so you can stop it.

I'm hoping that one day your cutting won't work for you; that happened to me, and it broke the cycle. It didn't work, so I didn't reach for the blades.
    I know it's possible...and it really is just that willpower thing...I have a stupidly small amount of it. I can't even stop myself coming online when I'm meant to be doing homework...it's just so tempting. She was talking about how she's been so tempted to have a cigarette in the last few weeks but she hasn't because she knows it won't help. But she hasn't had a cigarette since we were like...3. I mean...surely your willpower and ability to not do it goes up over time? And 13 years is a hell of a lot longer than the 12 days it's been since I did that to my leg...*shrugs* I dunno.

And I hope that happens too...I think that's what my mum wants to happen actually...she's all "when will you realise that it doesn't solve anything?". Hm.