Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    get your name changed
  • Options
    * sorry wrong thread *
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Gavman

*huge hugs*

First step is to work out why you feel like this.

PM me if you wanna talk.
  • Options
    I only fucking went and did it. It would have been five weeks tomorrow since I stopped. I know I should be pleased I managed so long, and I'm trying but dammit I only had a week to go before my target. :crying:
  • Options
    hey everyone :)

Just popping in to give people an update... I'm not using the internet much anymore. But yes. On Saturday it will be 5 weeks since I last cut. 5 weeks since I decided to stop punishing myself. I'm using the scar reduction stuff on some of the more obvious scars on my left arm which is quite a big step for me because up until now I didn't want to lose them, strange though it sounds. I'm feeling generally better... I'm on 40mg a day of prozac now which is double what I was on originally and I guess it's helping.

Gav, hope you're ok my love *hug*

Kate, you too. You know where i am.
  • Options
    Originally posted by SupaStar

Just popping in to give people an update... I'm not using the internet much anymore. But yes. On Saturday it will be 5 weeks since I last cut. 5 weeks since I decided to stop punishing myself. I'm using the scar reduction stuff on some of the more obvious scars on my left arm which is quite a big step for me because up until now I didn't want to lose them, strange though it sounds. I'm feeling generally better... I'm on 40mg a day of prozac now which is double what I was on originally and I guess it's helping.

Gav, hope you're ok my love *hug*

Kate, you too. You know where i am.

Glad to hear that you are doing well. Keep it up sweetie :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by SupaStar

Well done chicken :)
  • Options
    <3 rach, hope you feel better this morning.
  • Options
    Hi guys
    just wanted to pop in quickly and point you to this page - it's our new health helplines page. I know many of you will know about these already but Christmas can be a difficult time if you are feeling low - just wanted to remind you that there are people around who will listen should you need to talk.
    Take care
    Hannah Spanner x
  • Options
    Christmas Day; felt very low. The only part of the day I enjoyed was lunch, felt very depressed for the rest of the day. Hid in my room, was tempted to cut. I've got one friend I can talk to on my mobile, thankfully. Boxing Day; still feeling low. Possibly because I'm not doing much with my days. My birthday's coming up tomorrow, not looking forward to it. :crying:
  • Options
    man i feel shit.i've had an agreement with my friend for the past 2 yrs that we'd get tattooed on her 18th together. 6 weeks after my bday. so i waited. and two days before her bday she went without me. knowing full well how important it was to me. she text me sayin "plz dont hate me. i got a tattoo" i can't get over how bad its making me feel. it really hurt me yet it such a stupid pointless little thing. *sigh*
  • Options
    I was exactly the same when my best friend went and got her nose pierced cos she didn't want to wait for me to get back from India. She can still take you to get yours, though right? It's not worth hurting yourself or ruining a friendship over, remember that.

I hope you're ok. xxx
  • Options
    Don't you just hate those paranoid, niggling moments that keep you awake at night? I have some of those just now :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    Don't you just hate those paranoid, niggling moments that keep you awake at night? I have some of those just now :(
    I know what you mean. I've had quite a few of them in the last few days. Means I can't sleep until about 4am, I wake up at 9am feeling okay and by mid-afternoon, I'm shattered again. Doesn't help that I keep hearing voices.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    I know what you mean. I've had quite a few of them in the last few days. Means I can't sleep until about 4am, I wake up at 9am feeling okay and by mid-afternoon, I'm shattered again. Doesn't help that I keep hearing voices.

:(

I thought I would come and play computer as it means that I won't keep the boy up. Been getting a few paranoid feelings recently. I think it is the time of year. I hate January.
  • Options
    I've been awake all night and half of the time I was thinking about hurting myself and now I have to go back to uni in like half an hour and I so can't be arsed. :(
  • Options
    I dont know whats going on with my head right now, one minute im up the next im so down, then up and down again, i have a few things on my mind that are getting to me, i clicked the link that spanner gave recently and contacted the samaritans because i have been so down and its just not me at all. I only have a couple of main things on my mind but it doesnt half cause me to feel so depressed. I'm not one to self harm all be it i have done it a few times, i feel like doing it now but i am resisting. I'm trying to be positive but im not having the best of luck :(
  • Options
    sorry things are getting you down.

did you find the samaritans any good?
    I called something like that the other month but didnt find them much use.
  • Options
    i personally have found them quite helpful. I've been emailing with them and it makes i tso much easier to get everything out and have them go through it bit by bit with advice. What they have said to me has made a lot of sense.
  • Options
    thats good. maybe ill try email sometime.
  • Options
    i'm cutting so much at the moment.i need to get out of this rut. *sigh*
  • Options
    nvm.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    i'm cutting so much at the moment.i need to get out of this rut. *sigh*
    Hey you!!

:)

Hope things start going better for you soon.

It might sound stupid but try not to specifically focus on not cutting because you'll end up thinking about it more and more and that can make the urges worse not better. Not that I'm really one to advise on reducing S/H... it was just something that some counsillor once said to me.
  • Options
    okay, im in the mood to type right now so i guess ill try to explain myself once more. I have been self harming since i was 5 years old. When it started, it was because of my mum. The only time she ever paid attention to me was to tell me off and i found that she shouted and hit me when she knew i had cut/scratched/bitten/punched/burned or scarred myself in some way. It became the only way for me to reassure myself that she knew i existed.

I remember the first time i cut a word into my arm. I was about nine years old and i was listening to a band i hadn't heard of before. In my bedroom alone and shaking, i picked up the sharpener and cracked it open with ease, knowing how to break it properly. This band knows me. I remember thinking as i heard my little brother crying and banging his head against the walls because of me. the next thing i remember is looking down at the word that dripped from my arm.

help.

That was it. since then i hardly ever cut words. that scar has long since been covered and i don't quite remember all the words that came after it.

Some people's names are all clearly scarred onto my arm although one has a strikethrough scar where i crossed it out. you can see I LOVE YOU somewhere vaguely.

i have scarred knuckes from frequently punching walls and if i bang my head anymore there is a high risk of minor brain damage - again. i have slight brain damage from a life of doing that stupid thing but sometimes i cant take it. no one listens when i ask so clearly for help. an entire decade of counselling hasnt helped at all and they took me off of meds.

My girlfriend self harms a lot worse than me. I hate most when people think you do it purely for attention. If I wnated attention I'd roll around on the floor screaming. It reallt isn't a funny matter, but people seem to think it is, that REALLY annoys me. Well I'm not sure what else to say.

-Bri
  • Options
    Emaling jo@samaritans.org is really quite a good idea, they're very good and it takes the awkwardness out of telephone conversations.

Focusing on not cutting will make you cut more. But if you can't or won't take the advice given, and get help about it, then there isn't much else that can be done. Except buying some TCP and sterile cotton pads.
  • Options
    oh yay ive just had a really nice txt and now all i wanna do is rip my leg to shreds but i know i musnt cause then no one will really like me adn i'll be stuck like this forever argh soryr i dunno what im say ing just ignore me
  • Options
    I'm sorry :( I feel pretty much the same - I shouldn't want to cos everyone's being all fabby and stuff but I so do. And I told someone at uni that I'm bulimic last night cos I just had to get it off my chest and although he's been great it stuck with me that he said "It's not a big problem, it's not like you're dying from lack of food" and now I'm worried that I'm just being silly but it feels like a problem, I'm sure it's not a great idea!

I'm pretty much just distracting myself until I go to church atm so I can't do anything.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    I told someone at uni that I'm bulimic last night cos I just had to get it off my chest and although he's been great it stuck with me that he said "It's not a big problem, it's not like you're dying from lack of food" and now I'm worried that I'm just being silly but it feels like a problem, I'm sure it's not a great idea!

ah, good old ignorance.

bulimia is a big problem. very big. you might not look all skinny and dying like someone with anorexia might, but the damage you are doing to you insides is horrific.

it can kill you. simple as.

i'm not lecturing you because i think you are being silly, or that i think you don't know this. It IS a problem, and it's one you need to sort out. sharpish.
  • Options
    RG hey hope you're doing ok. Well i've just been thinkin about it's impact on me and the people around me more I guess. And I've booked another appt at the doctors, with a different one so I guess I'm making some progress in some direction.

Gav, *lots love and hugs*

Kate he is probably just trying to lessen the tension about it. And it's probably something he doesn't understand.If he acts likes its not so much of a problem or big deal it's easier for him to deal with. Read what Kaff said, she speaks wise words :yes:
  • Options
    Sorry to post here again but it's all so shit :(

I can't stop cutting, again. I stopped for a while and onw it's as bad as it's ever been. I got an appointment to see someone at the adolescent mental health service here in London (not convinced cos didn't get on with equivalent in my home town) as long as I let them know when I'm free so I'll post that letter tomorrow and I guess I'll just hope for the best, right?