Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I felt a little scared this morning. Whilst I was eating my breakfast, a feeling came over me which was eerily like the feeling I had when I tried to take an overdose. Felt terrified for a moment there, led to a panic attack. It never gets easier.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I felt a little scared this morning. Whilst I was eating my breakfast, a feeling came over me which was eerily like the feeling I had when I tried to take an overdose. Felt terrified for a moment there, led to a panic attack. It never gets easier.

That depends if you actually do something about it to help yourself.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    That depends if you actually do something about it to help yourself.
    Who the hell do you think you are? I'm doing plenty as it is, thank you. :mad:
  • Options
    STFU Stargalaxy. No-one accused you of doing nothing. Really, you were a cheeky shit to her earlier, she could just as easily have told you to give up and slash your wrists if it never gets any easier.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Who the hell do you think you are? I'm doing plenty as it is, thank you. :mad:

I'm tweety thanks. You said it never gets easier, well like i said it doesnt if you don't do anything about it.
    I see you don't have anything to back your earlier attempts up on slagging me off too. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    STFU Stargalaxy. No-one accused you of doing nothing. Really, you were a cheeky shit to her earlier, she could just as easily have told you to give up and slash your wrists if it never gets any easier.

Felt like it
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    I'm tweety thanks. You said it never gets easier, well like i said it doesnt if you don't do anything about it.
    For the record, I'm doing quite a lot of things now to deal with it, I just haven't bothered posting it on this site for you lot.
  • Options
    Danny, carry on with the job hunting. Keep up the positive thinking. You won't feel like this when you have more of a purpose for your life.

btw, it does get easier. for us all. we just have to make it get easier.
  • Options
    whatever.
  • Options
    not to mention that tweety's absolutely spot on.

it will get easier. but not before you work your ass off to make it that way. i've said it before and i'll say it again: getting better was the single hardest thing i ever did. but it's also the thing i'm most proud of.

we can give you advice, and we can give you support, but no one can make you better. no one. that's up to you.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

it will get easier. but not before you work your ass off to make it that way. i've said it before and i'll say it again: getting better was the single hardest thing i ever did. but it's also the thing i'm most proud of.

we can give you advice, and we can give you support, but no one can make you better. no one. that's up to you.

Same here, i came out of it & i feel a stronger person for it.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Same here, i came out of it & i feel a stronger person for it.
    I accept that a number of people here have been through depression, that's well-documented. However, I'm currently learning a lot of things myself, both from past use of this website and from personal experiences. I find some of what is said on these forums very patronising. That said, I appreciate the help I am given though it often, admittedly, does not seem like it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I find some of what is said on these forums very patronising.

and I find some darn right rude. :thumb:

end of
  • Options
    maybe u do feel patronised, but if u are only telling half a story then people are going to think you are doing very little to help yourself. you do need to help yourself, like kaffrin and tweety said, u also need to accept that they are trying to help you even though u were horrible to tweety earlier.
    there is nowt more frustrating for someone who has come tthrough this than someone who asks for advice then ignores it and carries on feeling sorry for themselves.

if u feel patronised, maybe u are interpreting things wrong
  • Options
    maybe u do feel patronised, but if u are only telling half a story then people are going to think you are doing very little to help yourself. you do need to help yourself, like kaffrin and tweety said, u also need to accept that they are trying to help you even though u were horrible to tweety earlier. if u feel patronised, maybe u are interpreting things wrong
    I am already doing plenty, it's simply that I haven't posted in public about it. I admit I could do more, however. As for Kaffrin & Tweety, I don't doubt they know what they are talking about.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I admit I could do more

Then don't expect a miracle to happen if you don't put the effort in.
    People don't just get better, they have to work at it.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Then don't expect a miracle to happen if you don't put the effort in. People don't just get better, they have to work at it.
    Look, I don't seriously believe I'm not trying. I'm doing things one stage at a time, slowly taking on more and more. What's honestly wrong with this?
  • Options
    Nothing, you said it doesnt get better, my point, it does if you try hard enough.
  • Options
    I'm such a fool. I just went on psyke. This waiting is fucking killing me.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You need to look at yourself first. In this post, you say that you don't mind the fact you cut, and yet you also say it's stupid. In that case, do you do it because it's stupid? There's probably a reason why she's started self-harming. The best thing to do is talk to her, asking why she's started, what problems there are in life.

i took your advice an i tried to speak to my sis, and she told me why she was doing it. she promised me she would stop, but today when i went in her room she was there cutting again, because her boyfriend tld her tha he fancied me 2. she is cuting herself coz she is being bullied, i am worried that if the bullys find out they will pick on her more. she is 14 years old. this is what happened to me. now every little thing that upsets me i self harm, i dont want her to end up the same. now all i seem to do is cry because she is upset and she is going to make the same stupid mistake that i did and posibbly even succed where i failed (for now). Any advice i can give her or tips whould b greatful.
    i feel like there will soon b no hope 4 either of us. :banghead:
  • Options
    (cut out some of the original post)
    I tried to speak to my sis, and she told me why she was doing it. She promised me she would stop, but today when i went in her room she was there cutting again... she is cuting herself coz she is being bullied... now all i seem to do is cry because she is upset and she is going to make the same stupid mistake that i did and posibbly even succed where i failed (for now).
    OK, we're making some progress here. Bullying is the factor which has to be dealt with. But how? How indeed. We all know that schools' anti-bullying policies are a joke. I suppose we can talk in more detail about that in private.

I admire you for trying to make sure she doesn't dig herself into the same hole that you confess you did. You're worried she's going to commit suicide, and by the sounds of it, you appear to have tried too. Well, so have I, and I've come to the conclusion it isn't worth doing that for any reason. If you, or anyone else feels suicidal, contact The Samaritans on (08457) 909090 (national rates apply) or click here for the website.

If you'd like to talk more privately, and in more detail than can be catered for in this thread, please contact me.
  • Options
    thanx for the support guys, i cant remember how to pm, can anyone tell me so i cn gt in contact.
    thanx
  • Options
    thanx for the support guys, i cant remember how to pm, can anyone tell me so i cn gt in contact.
    thanx
    If you click on the person's username, there will be an option in their profile which says "PM [insert username here]" :)
  • Options
    I'm such a fool. I just went on psyke. This waiting is fucking killing me.

gah i did the same :(
  • Options
    in my opinion everyone is capable of doin this,and i have done it myself.it is the stress of modern living that affects us all! some people however do it for attention seeking only!!! we need to see the difference.
  • Options
    I have discovered that Savlon is a wonderful creation :D

2 days, man, and it's almost disappeared...I just gotta figure how not to pick at it...had to do it on my hand didn't I?! Ah well...
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    in my opinion everyone is capable of doin this,and i have done it myself.it is the stress of modern living that affects us all! some people however do it for attention seeking only!!! we need to see the difference.
    34 going on 4. Great.

Shut up.
  • Options
    Was wondering if anyone can suggest any good pick-me-ups, i dont want to talk to my boyfriend as iv discovered that it never goes well. Is it normal for self harmers to start "talking" to god even though their not religious? Just wondering. xXx

Prayer is a very good pick-me-up, in fact. You don't have to go to Church every week to feel the benefits of prayer.

Not quite sure what went on furthe rup the page, but if you don't get off your arse and put the effort in to get better than nobody else is going to do it for you. You do it by yourself, with lots of help, or not at all. So it goes.
  • Options
    Four months...four FUCKING months all gone gone gone. It's like I can see myself going down into the pit of despair, and I can't do anything about it.

Fuck's sake.
  • Options
    Four months...four FUCKING months all gone gone gone. It's like I can see myself going down into the pit of despair, and I can't do anything about it.

Fuck's sake.
    Don't think of it in that way hun. Think of it this way. Four months you've gone without doing it. Four months you've coped. You've had one slip up, don't let that stop you. Think another four months, think of the hurt and damange you've stopped in that period. Never loose hope.