Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can someone please please help me?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically, I am in a complete mess. I went back to the doctors this morning, talked through my symptoms and how I don’t feel like there has been any improvement.
So anyway, my doctor asked me if I have a boyfriend, to which the answer is yes. That was when I caught on to what she was saying.
I am pregnant. I did have a virus before hand, but around seven weeks ago I slept with my boyfriend and lucky me, I am now pregnant. The virus hid all the symptoms. I will also add, my periods have never been regular, so I wasn’t bothered about the fact that it was late. I cannot believe I have been so stupid. I am 16 years old, I have GCSEs starting in 3 months. And my mum has gone mental at me.
I have no idea what I should do. I know what the three options are, the doctors talked through them with me. How can I decide that?! How can I basically murder a baby? Can someone please help! I am in such a mess I don’t know what to do.

Comments

• Options
    First of all FFS slow down!! Having a baby does not end your life! Im slightly older than you but have 2 children & they have made my life so much better. Please do not rush into anything.

Your mum will come around & support you in the long run, this is a normal parents reaction to the situation; partly because youve been dull enough to get pregnant & partly because they may not have know that you were having it. (Cant use the s word as my work filter will block it). Please talk to your mum & any other grown ups.

As for your GCSEs if, & this is a big if, you dont do as well as you may have xpected they can be resat! You can do them through a college (or your school) next year.

Dont rush into a decision over a termination- 2 reasons for this;
    1- why end a babys life because you are emotionally unbalanced at the moment
    2- there are thousands of people in the uk who cannot have babies naturally so consider giving the baby up for adoption when it is born.
  • Options
    How am I meant to decide something like this?
    I know I can't make the decision right this moment, but I can't kill a baby, I would much rather have it adopted. But then I would feel bad because this baby could grow up thinking I don't love it and don't care. And I don't want people thinking I am some cheap slapper, because that is so commonly associated with teenage mums. But I'm not a slapper, I have been with my boyfriend for 2 and a half years and we have only been sleeping together for about a year.
    My mum is on the phone to my year head now and is telling her. I didn't even want her to do that. Surely it is up to me to tell people?
  • Options
    Its your body, your baby. Yes it is your place to tell people but by doing this your mum is showing she is supporting you. I know it seems like the end of the world now but terminating a pregnancy is a hughe step & the mental problems that could cause you in later life could be horrific.

What does your bf think of this? He has a huge part to play too if you have been together for so long....
  • Options
    he doesn't know yet. he is at school and i can't really text him and say 'babe, btw i am pregnant'. so i am going to go and see him tonight.
  • Options
    Good point- what do you think his reaction will be??? Can you see yourself being with him for a long time?
  • Options
    I don't really know. I am thinking possibly a very intelligent answer of "but how?" And the answer to that is he didn't put one on before he put it in. But I don't blame him at all. As for being with him for a long time, I guess so, but then again I wasn't expecting to be throwing a baby into the equation right now.
  • Options
    OK Im not going to be patronising by saying serves you right because thats not the issue. Its happened & now you both need to sit down first with yourselves & see where you are going to go. Please be prepared for him to run a mile away & if this does happen then give him space to breathe & find himself. It will be what he needs & will help him to think what he wants from this.

Then you need to sit down with both families (even if he runs a mile) & decide what is going to be done. I dont think a termination is the right answer here & add to the fact that you are asking for help/advice- I dont think that is what you want. I think you will grow up a lot over the coming months & you may discover that as time comes nearer to the birth you will become excited.

has your mum said anything more?
  • Options
    Hi Amilie Rose,

I hope you're OK.
    This is a big thing and very scary for you and I can't imagin what's going through your head right now.

There are places that can give you good support and give you more information and help.
    This might help, there are links on the page to places you can talk to someone who has helped other people in the same boat as you.

Just don't feel pressured from other people into making a desicion one way or the other. You'll know what's right for you and hopefully be able to find the support you need to help you with the desition you arrive at.
  • Options
    haha i know it serves me right, so feel free to say it. I know that he could run away, and if he does, I wouldn't blame him. If I could I would be running too, but the fact that where ever I run this will follow, isn't so good.
    I would rather just talk to his family, I imagine them to be a lot calmer and they are less likely to make any decisions for me, like my mum will, and give advice.
    All my mum has said is that my year head wants to speak to me tomorrow and that I might be kept out of lessons for the day.
  • Options
    No- you make the decisions no one else. You will need your mums support through this. I didnt have mine & it was heartbreaking & it has led to a rift between us which will never be mended.
  • Options
    :(

I dont think there is anything wrong with abortion, but it sounds pretty much that you are against that idea, and I respect that.

I think you need to calm down.
    This is a huge thing but you will be ok. This does not mean your life is over. A lot of people have babies very young, and of course this will put obstacles in your path. It wont be an easy ride - its not easy at any age - but its still do-able. Many young people make fantastic parents. You may find you can get extra support to stay in education whilst still raising your child. You should also get some help financially.

Of course this will be hard for your family to accept, but it isnt the end of the world. Try telling your mum how frightened you are and ask for her help and support?

If you do change your mind and decide on a termination. There are many people here who have gone through that too and could offer you support there too.
    The important thing is that it is your decision and noone elses

good luck
  • Options
    Thanks Lu_C. I will take a look at that in a bit.
    I know I can count on my mum, but obviously she wasn't expecting this, just like I wasn't.
    This whole thing is such a mess, but at least I know why I have been feeling so rank recently..

I'm not against the idea of abortion, I think at times it can be justified, but I got myself in this mess and I don't want to take the easy option out, when it might not be the best thing long term. Personally, I don't think that I could cope with knowing that I had killed something.

I think I am going to try talking to my mum again later, when I have spoken to my boyfriend. At the moment I am too scared about his reaction, and I can't think about anything else.
  • Options
    At the moment it seems a mess but it isnt. Pregnancy is not the end of the world. If you take time to consider all your options then I am sure you will be fine.

I hope your bf is ok too.
  • Options
    its not a case of the easy option or not.

The most difficult route isnt necessarily the best for you.

You need to decide what YOU want. Can you do it with a baby? Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
    There is going to be a lot of hard thinking to do here. This wont be an easy decision and whatever you decide is going to impact on your future in some way. Some decisions more than others.

If you think after an abortion you would spend your life regretting it, then maybe it wouldnt be the right decision. I had an abortion at 17 and I do think about it sometimes, but its not something i spend much too much time on. I have other children now.

Im really glad to hear you have your mums support. Youre very lucky in that respect.
  • Options
    I am meeting my boyfriend at 4. Argh, how am I ever going to tell him?
    Do you think I should talk to his parents tonight as well?
  • Options
    Hello,

Big hugs you must be very confused at this moment in time and in a total state of shock. Usually many people have a suspicion before they take a test that they might be pregnant and so have had some time to think through the options. The main thing to remember is that you shouldn't rush into any decision lightly and that only you can make a choice, you need to ask other people to respect and support your choice not make it for you.

This workbook even though it is developed by a US organisation is still a good resource for working through your options and helping you come to a decision. http://www.pregnancyoptions.info/

You should make time to read through it properly by yourself and answer the questions that it poses. There is also a section for your parents so it might be worth getting your mum to read through it as well - if you reallly trust her you might even want to try and answer the questions togeather. There is also one for your boyfriend.

At the moment i don't think that you should tell your boyfriends parents - you should only tell them when you have come to a definate decision as otherwise I think you will just have more people confusing you.

I could easily tell you what I think you should do but i am not going to. But i really don't think that you should think of having an abortion as killing a tiny baby because its just not like that and whilst i can't pretend that its not distressing for many women its not something they spend thier lives agonising over with regret.
  • Options
    Hey Amilie

I might have missed you before you go to meet your boyfriend but I hope it goes OK. Try not to worry too much about his reaction, whatever that may be, it will take a while for this to sink in with everyone - your mum, your boyfriend, his parents but most importantly with you. In the same way that you are feeling really panicky about this they will also be a bit in shock and trying to take it in.

The good thing is you do have options and you have time to think things through. There are other people you can talk your options through with, not only your GP.

Brook are an sexual health organisation for young people under 25 and you can call their free helpline or send them your questions online here.

Take a good look at TheSite's unplanned pregnancy section as Lu_c suggested.

Try and take some time to yourself and although it all seems really scary and daunting right now you will get through it. Do you have a good friend or someone who isn't as closely involved that you could talk to? It might help to clear your head.

Take care and keep posting, we're here to listen and support you :)
  • Options
    Ohh i was just also going to add in the brook contact details as well!
  • Options
    Well, I have told my boyfriend. He laughed at first and thought I was joking. Then he called me a cheap slut and asked if it is definitely his. (yeah it is.) He then said that he didn't want anything to do with me or the baby and doesn't care either way what I do, and can jump off a bridge as much as he cares. He blamed me for all of this. He calmed down a bit later on, and said he needed time to think, which is fair enough. But when I went to leave he said that he would rather I got rid of it, because he doesn't want to be associated with a cheap slut who will be living off benefits. If I do keep this baby I will not be living on benefits!! Obviously my life will change but I am still going to pass my GCSEs and carry on with school/college for as long as I can. Is it stupid to think like that? I can't believe my boyfriend is making me chose between our baby and our love. I don't know why I am so upset and surprised he has reacted like this; it was basically 50/50. Am I being unrealistic in thinking he might calm down more, and talk more to me about it?
  • Options
    I'm sorry but spot the WTF-ness between:

I can't believe my boyfriend is making me chose between our baby and our love

and
    Then he called me a cheap slut and asked if it is definitely his. (yeah it is.) He then said that he didn't want anything to do with me or the baby and doesn't care either way what I do, and can jump off a bridge as much as he cares. He blamed me for all of this.

Doesn't sound much like he loves you to me. What a cheeky fucker - it takes two to tango, and two to make a baby. I'd have belted him good and hard for the cheap slut comments.

Honestly, what an utter cuntish reaction. :mad:

If you do decide to keep this baby, I think you need to think about going it alone (although certainly get your child maintenance out of the ignorant bastard).
  • Options
    Poor you, some of his comments were totally uncalled for. Not trying to excuse his behaviour, but different people react in a variety of ways when they've been given news that has floored them. That's not to say he was out of order and an apology should be coming your way. I'd say give him some time - he might want to tell his parents in that time and get his head around it.

It's still a lot for you to take it, but I do think you need to give serious consideration as to how you are going to manage if you are on your own. That pregnancyoptions site is a really good one, do check it out if you feel like it.
  • Options
    Awwwwwwwwww honey i really am sorry for you. I think your right to give him some space and he may well calm down in a few days once he has had the chance to think it through as it must have come as quite a bit of a shock to him as i'm sure it has to you.

Please remember that he has absolutely no right to call you a slut and that you have done nothing at all wrong and that he bears equal responsibility with you (and has a legal duty to provide for your child in the future if you decide to keep it). He also has no right to choose for you, however what ever you decide to do I think that you will probably need to have a good think about weather this relationship is right for you.
  • Options
    I can't really blame him, he had just got home from his first day back at school, and there is me telling him I am pregnant...I think it was shock. I am hoping it was shock. I can't do this without him, even if he says he doesn't care, I still feel like I have to tell him what is happening or what I decide etc. I don't know whether that is stupid, but I honestly do love him too much =\
    ok, i have just found out he has told his parents. Which is fine. But they want both me and my mum to go round and start to make decisions. I can't do that, I only found out this morning that I am pregnant, I can't make a choice now. Considering my boyfriend refuses to be in the house if I am there, I think this is slightly unfair.
  • Options
    This is not anyones decision to make other than yours.

I think that you should suggest that you do not rush round there straight away. Instead you all need space to chill out for a few days and even then you don't have to see them.

At the weekend might be the best time maybe saturday morning- meet them somewhere neutral like a park or coffee shop - not at either of your houses. If they offer anything other than support for what ever decision you decide to make (you never know they might be really great!) then I would basically ignore them and anything they have to say.

Make sure that your mum is entirely on your side otherwise they might all gang up on you - if you dont' think she will support you then you should find a neutral adult to come with you. I would suspect that tomorrow at school your head of year will offer you some kind of support so ask if they can provide a neutral space for you all to meet - or if they can suggest somewhere or an organisation who can help.

Explain to everyone that you need time and space to decide what to do and dont' feel pressurised into anything at the moment - ask your mother to at least back you up on that one.
  • Options
    Basically you have to ask your self: -
    Do you want to become a Mum yet?
    It is your choice. If you want to get rid of then do so.
    But personally I would never ever have a abortion not ever.
  • Options
    Basically you have to ask your self: -
    Do you want to become a Mum yet?
    It is your choice. If you want to get rid of then do so.
    But personally I would never ever have a abortion not ever.

The last line is really not necessary.

It comes across as a semi-judgement if she does decide to terminate, which is really not what the OP needs right now.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    This is not anyones decision to make other than yours.

I think that you should suggest that you do not rush round there straight away. Instead you all need space to chill out for a few days and even then you don't have to see them.

At the weekend might be the best time maybe saturday morning- meet them somewhere neutral like a park or coffee shop - not at either of your houses. If they offer anything other than support for what ever decision you decide to make (you never know they might be really great!) then I would basically ignore them and anything they have to say.

Make sure that your mum is entirely on your side otherwise they might all gang up on you - if you dont' think she will support you then you should find a neutral adult to come with you. I would suspect that tomorrow at school your head of year will offer you some kind of support so ask if they can provide a neutral space for you all to meet - or if they can suggest somewhere or an organisation who can help.

Explain to everyone that you need time and space to decide what to do and dont' feel pressurised into anything at the moment - ask your mother to at least back you up on that one.

This :yes:
  • Options
    Hi hun hope you're ok let us know how it goes i had my first daughter who was planned 3 month off my 18 birthday lost 3 babies im between had my 2nd daughter 3mth off my 22 birthday there 6 and half and 2 and half years old now been with my partner since 15 and half years old! It your decision no one elses
    Keep us posted x
  • Options
    i think my mum will back me up in whatever i decide.
    the anger towards my boyfriend is starting to get to me now. i feel like screaming and screaming. i threw a load of plates at the wall earlier =\and this sounds so vain and weird, but i am going to get fat! and my boobs are going to balloon! and my skin will go all manky!
    and all my effing boyfriend can do is call me a cheap slut.
    earlier i managed to calm down and now i feel so scared and freaked out.
  • Options
    Hey Amilie.

Sorry to hear things didnt go well with your bf. I dont blame him for reacting that way (althought the comments & way he said things were a bit wrong) as this is a massive shock to him to. When I (& my now wife) was told that we had to have children young or face not having any in the future I freaked out & it got me angry & upset to.

Give your bf some space for a couple of days- his mind will be buzzing at this moment
This discussion has been closed.