Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jobless Couple With 12 Children Are Given £500,00 House

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are some posters who have asked a similar question to "should we throw these people out on the street ?" in a seemingly rhetorical way that suggests they would answer with a definitive "No".

That sort of talk emphasises to me that charity and goodwill is a PRACTICALLY superior method of aiding needy people to that of taxation. Not only would those in need be aided but any antagonism and polarisation such as demonstrated in this thread would be eliminated.

I am assuming,of course, that those people who say "No" are being honest, and would be willing to help.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »

The amount of snide, sneering remarks made in this thread makes me sick.

Likewise
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    So based on the fact that the kids aren't to blame, what do you propose as a solution? Personally, I'd say they should be given a house big enough for all of them (which they have been), and they should have the income of one of the parents working supported (which they obviously haven't been, because they get less money when he's working than when he isn't - so this needs to be addressed).

The parents need educating about family planning - in their case how to avoid having any more family - and telling: "You can't afford the kids, stop having them."

The also need educating on how to name kids sensibly.
  • Options
    Regardless of the specifics in this case, it is a bit messed up when it is £100 a week worse for this man to be in work than at home sitting on his arse.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Regardless of the specifics in this case, it is a bit messed up when it is £100 a week worse for this man to be in work than at home sitting on his arse.

What's specifically messed up though? This family has had a dick-load of kids and they'd have to be earning a seriously good wage between them to be able to look after them independently. I think it's good that as a country we can provide for the kids that the couple have, but i think to a large extent the couple have brought the situation on themselves. You or i, i'd imagine, would factor into having a child whether we could afford to, whereas these guys just keep popping them out regardless.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    even my dad (who earns upwards of £100k a year) can't afford to buy a house over here),

My heart bleeds.

If you earn £100K+ you can buy a house. Stop bloody whinging.
  • Options
    You or i, i'd imagine, would factor into having a child whether we could afford to, whereas these guys just keep popping them out regardless.

But it's not a consideration surely? At the risk of sounding harsh, the couple can have as many more kids as they like because the state is going to support them. There is no need for them to consider affordability because they know that the state will pay for it.

(I'm Playing devil's advocate here I know)
  • Options
    What's specifically messed up though? This family has had a dick-load of kids and they'd have to be earning a seriously good wage between them to be able to look after them independently. I think it's good that as a country we can provide for the kids that the couple have, but i think to a large extent the couple have brought the situation on themselves. You or i, i'd imagine, would factor into having a child whether we could afford to, whereas these guys just keep popping them out regardless.

Is there anything wrong with wanting a large family?

Too rights blag, it would take over 5 years for my family to accumulate that yet we have a lovely wee house.
  • Options
    Is there anything wrong with wanting a large family?

Too rights blag, it would take over 5 years for my family to accumulate that yet we have a lovely wee house.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a large family, no.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a Ferrari either, it doesn't mean i can afford to have one.
  • Options

There's nothing wrong with wanting a Ferrari either, it doesn't mean i can afford to have one.

yeah but thats one of the things in life that is actually free, having children ! and if people want children then its their choice
  • Options
    yeah but thats one of the things in life that is actually free, having children ! and if people want children then its their choice

maybe but why should the rest of us have to pay for them?
  • Options

I reckon you should re-examine what you've just said.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »

Hang on, there's nothing free about having kids. Nothing at all.
  • Options

Oh do fuck off territt. Do you have kids?
  • Options

The actual act of making babies is free - but everything about them from then on costs money, from giving birth to them, to feeding and clothing them to sending them to school, buying them birthday and christmas presents etc etc.

There are sooo many children in the world who do not have any of these things and most of all love - I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone who has half a brain would knowingly have chilren they know they cannot support.

As wrong as it may seem I would have a lot more respect for the couple if they had chosen to adopt/foster 12 children and give exisitng children some love and attention rather than create new ones when there are so many children out ther who need love.

However aside from that I do think that the benefits system is totally screwed I know people with only one child for whom they would earn less money by going to work than remaining at home on benefits.
  • Options

to be honest whether people have too many kids or not isnt gonna make a difference at all in our tax or whatever we have to pay. Even if everyone suddenly wasnt allowed to have any more than two kids each if they couldnt afford it im pretty sure the council/government would find another way of spending our money.
  • Options
    I reckon you should re-examine what you've just said.

Why?

and theres is EVERYTHING free about making kids. without going into detail, dunno what you pay for but from my experience the 'act of love' is free.
  • Options
    Why?

and theres is EVERYTHING free about making kids. without going into detail, dunno what you pay for but from my experience the 'act of love' is free.

Oh yeah, ejaculate and the nine month lease of a womb is free. Of course, as soon as you've bought the first lot of extra toilet cleaner to contend with the morning sickness then the baby ceases to be free. But these are just details.
  • Options

Are the two things comparable?
  • Options

There's this thing called society, see?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Are the two things comparable?

Yes.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    There are sooo many children in the world who do not have any of these things and most of all love - I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone who has half a brain would knowingly have chilren they know they cannot support.

Because having children fulfils deep emotional needs in human beings? Just a guess, like.
  • Options
    Yes.

In what way is a car comparable to a human being?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Because having children fulfils deep emotional needs in human beings? Just a guess, like.

You'd think she'd have filled that "deep emotional need" by number twelve though.
  • Options
    You'd think she'd have filled that "deep emotional need" by number twelve though.

:chin: :rolleyes:
  • Options

Why would I think that?
  • Options
    Oh do fuck off territt. Do you have kids?

not at the moment, myself and my girlfriend are waiting until we can afford to have children, not just having them and expect other people to pay for our problems
  • Options

who says she wants to have any more?

and who the hell are you to decide whether she has filled that deep emotional need?

just because you might want to grow old with your cats or whatever tickles your fancy doesnt mean everyone else is the same. some people want to have lots of children others dont and i dont think its any ones business deciding for other people whether they have children or not. (unless they are gonna be mean to the children)