Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jobless Couple With 12 Children Are Given £500,00 House

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some people don't know they're born.
  • Options
    Franki where does he want to live? Cos if you go by the crazy crazy amounts that banks are lending right now he could probably get a mortage for 5 times his salary, so £500,000.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Yeh he earns £100K+, but he also has 5 daughters, two are about to go to university, and one is 5 (yanno, that age where they are still growing pretty god damn fast). He also doesn't *actually* live here. He's looking for a house to move to when he retires that is big enough for him, his wife, and his 5 year old, and the best he's been able to find in the place he wants to live is a not-quite-big-enough flat. He bought that so he could stay on the housing market so that when they DO move here they still have a leg to stand on. So stfu.

He can't find a flat big enough for 3 people? :confused: Franki, a 100k+ salary is way above average, can't complain at all with that salary.
    Also - all this "if you have no qualifications you can't get anywhere" is bollocks. My very same dad came from a shitty background, got shitty GCSE's, shitty A Levels, and a shitty degree from a shitty polytechnic. The qualifications he did have were pretty much worthless. But he worked his ARSE off (and still does, he leaves the house before 6am every day and gets home at gone 6 every night) to get where he is, and now he's the MD of probably the biggest insurance company in Kenya, earning his £100k+. If you want something badly enough then you work for it. If not then you take responsibility for the fact that you can't afford to have 12 fucking children.

You can't be serious. You do know that some homeless people have good degrees? That was just an example that not everything is as easy as getting a degree, working hard and jumping into a well paid job. Suceeding in life isn't all about putting the effort and a bit of elbow grease in, personal and social circumstance play a major part. I think you need to calm down tbh. I think blagsta hit a raw nerve.
  • Options
    Yeh he earns £100K+, but he also has 5 daughters, two are about to go to university, and one is 5 (yanno, that age where they are still growing pretty god damn fast). He also doesn't *actually* live here. He's looking for a house to move to when he retires that is big enough for him, his wife, and his 5 year old, and the best he's been able to find in the place he wants to live is a not-quite-big-enough flat. He bought that so he could stay on the housing market so that when they DO move here they still have a leg to stand on. So stfu.

Where the fuck's he looking? Park Lane?
  • Options
    Where the fuck's he looking? Park Lane?
    Cirencester. He doesn't even want anything massive.

Yerascrote - yeh, he hit a nerve. I know my dad's salary is way above average. I didn't say that it wasn't, but that wasn't my point. In his current situation he can't afford the kind of house that he needs (or will need) - that was my point.

Also, I know that circumstances play a big part in these things, and I know my dad is lucky to be where he is (he wouldn't be earning nearly as much if he still worked over here, but hey), but MOST of it was because he did work hard. He had a pretty shitty life, but he's taken himself out of the shithole he grew up in and taken himself right to the top. I know it's not always possible to do that, but it IS possible.

And that doesn't take away from the fact that they were being irresponsible by having more children than they could afford, really.
  • Options
    I think that the worst case of free housing was when a Muslim got given 2 houses a few years back because he had 2 wives. One for each wife.
  • Options
    In his current situation he can't afford the kind of house that he needs (or will need) - that was my point.

Surely you mean the house he wants, not needs?
    I know it's not always possible to do that, but it IS possible.

Of course it's possible, but to expect everyone to do it, simply on the merits that it's possible, merely disregards the complexities of life.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I think that the worst case of free housing was when a Muslim got given 2 houses a few years back because he had 2 wives. One for each wife.

:eek2:
  • Options
    So he wasn't given two houses then. Each wife was given one, and he happened to roam between one and the other. Did they wives each have children? I don't know the particulars but as a hypothetical case would it have made much difference if they got given a six-bedroom house instead of two three-bedroom houses?

You didn't read about it in a tabloid did you? They're not exactly strange to manipulating and twisting stories to suit their agenda.
  • Options

Who told you that? Dodgy Dave down the pub?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Surely you mean the house he wants, not needs?

Well, yes and no. He needs a house big enough to house him and his family, as well as to provide enough space to keep a hyperactive 5 year old with a tendency to run around ANYWHERE entertained. But yeh, the house he wants. But what he wants is hardly Buckingham Palace.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Of course it's possible, but to expect everyone to do it, simply on the merits that it's possible, merely disregards the complexities of life.

I know that. I wasn't saying that every single person in the world can do it, but there were people saying things like "he had no qualifications, therefore no prospects", which isn't automatically true. I'm sure if he had *really* wanted to, he would have been able to get a promotion from shelf stacking. Plus (and this is what Rich said when I showed him this story) if he doesn't work, why doesn't he study to GET some qualifications so that he has a better chance at a better job?

IMO (bolded so that nobody starts calling me snobbish or whatever, it is my opinion), I don't think either of them are being particularly good role-models for their children. If my parents had 12 kids and didn't work, but got to live in a £500k house, I would see that as how people should live, if I was an impressionable kid. It wouldn't give me any motivation to work for a living, and so I wouldn't. I know everybody is different, but that is how it would be for me.
  • Options
    boo fucking hoo
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    boo fucking hoo
    Was I talking to you? If you're just going to start being a cunt then I suggest you stfu. At least Yerascrote is actually respecting what I'm saying instead of trying to make me feel like shit for having an opinion which is OMG DIFFERENT TO YOURS.
  • Options
    IMO (bolded so that nobody starts calling me snobbish or whatever, it is my opinion), I don't think either of them are being particularly good role-models for their children. If my parents had 12 kids and didn't work, but got to live in a £500k house, I would see that as how people should live, if I was an impressionable kid. It wouldn't give me any motivation to work for a living, and so I wouldn't. I know everybody is different, but that is how it would be for me.

I would feel exactly the same.
  • Options
    Plus (and this is what Rich said when I showed him this story) if he doesn't work, why doesn't he study to GET some qualifications so that he has a better chance at a better job?

How do you know he isn't? Yet another irony here. If he worked, he'd have to pay for any college course he wanted to go on. If he doesn't work, he gets to do them for free.
  • Options
    How do you know he isn't? Yet another irony here. If he worked, he'd have to pay for any college course he wanted to go on. If he doesn't work, he gets to do them for free.
    Well if he is, fair play, good on him, bang goes my argument, but it didn't say otherwise, so I just made an assumption.
  • Options
    Was I talking to you? If you're just going to start being a cunt then I suggest you stfu. At least Yerascrote is actually respecting what I'm saying instead of trying to make me feel like shit for having an opinion which is OMG DIFFERENT TO YOURS.

I have no sympathy with your whinging. Your dad can afford a decent house, he's on over 4 times the average salary. He can afford a 4 bedroom house in Cirencester
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/search.rsp?lo_u=329&lo_n=Cirencester%2C+Gloucestershire&se_c=1&poi_e=0&poi_n=0&nh_st=1&stc_s=false&p_t=1&mi_b=4&tr_t=buy&pa_n=5&eventsubmit_dosearch=1&initial_search_time=1185474787831
  • Options
    I have no sympathy with your whinging. Your dad can afford a decent house, he's on over 4 times the average salary. He can afford a 4 bedroom house in Cirencester
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/search.rsp?lo_u=329&lo_n=Cirencester%2C+Gloucestershire&se_c=1&poi_e=0&poi_n=0&nh_st=1&stc_s=false&p_t=1&mi_b=4&tr_t=buy&pa_n=5&eventsubmit_dosearch=1&initial_search_time=1185474787831
    Actually, no he can't.

If he lived here and earned that, maybe. But not right now. Until you know exactly what my dad's circumstances are and what his plans are, I suggest you shut up because you actually haven't got a clue.
  • Options
    Going on what you've told us though, he CAN afford a house here, easily. What you've said is, my dad earns £100k+ and can't afford to buy a house in Cirencester, and going on that, he can!
  • Options
    Actually, no he can't.

If he lived here and earned that, maybe. But not right now. Until you know exactly what my dad's circumstances are and what his plans are, I suggest you shut up because you actually haven't got a clue.

Aww well what a shame. He's chosen to live and work in a forgeign country. He can buy a house to suit his needs there instead.
  • Options
    Actually, no he can't.

If you're gonna whinge about how unfair it is that your dad earns shit loads of money then you're gonna get stick for it.
  • Options
    Going on what you've told us though, he CAN afford a house here, easily. What you've said is, my dad earns £100k+ and can't afford to buy a house in Cirencester, and going on that, he can!

Of course he can afford it.
  • Options
    Do you lot actually know anything Franki's dad's circumstances? Just because he earns 100k in one country, doesn't exactly mean he can afford a house over here, does it?
  • Options
    Of course he can afford it.
    I know he can, I was backing YOU up :p

Sofie, £100k in Kenya = £100k in th UK, because it's the same amount. £ sign is a bit of a hint...
  • Options
    I know he can, I was backing YOU up :p

Sofie, £100k in Kenya = £100k in th UK, because it's the same amount. £ sign is a bit of a hint...

No, I was backing you up. :p;)
  • Options

Yeah I know that...
  • Options
    No, I was backing you up. :p;)
    :lol: well thanks then!
  • Options
    No problem, all in a day's work. :)
  • Options
    Aww well what a shame. He's chosen to live and work in a forgeign country. He can buy a house to suit his needs there instead.
    Or not.

Oddly enough, he actually wants to live near his other 4 children, and he wants Naomi to have most of her education here.

Tbh, I don't even know why I'm bothering anymore. It wasn't even a massive part of what I was trying to say, and none of you will be able to understand unless you can see what he's doing anyway.
  • Options
    If you're gonna whinge about how unfair it is that your dad earns shit loads of money then you're gonna get stick for it.
    Hold on, what?

Where was I whinging about how much money he earns? I wasn't even whinging ffs. I was saying what I thought.