Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jobless Couple With 12 Children Are Given £500,00 House

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23405477-details/%20Scrounging%20%20family%20gets%20%C2%A3500,000%20house%20from%20council/article.do

Talk about a f*cking disgrace...
Some people may think we're a bunch of spongers, but it's not true

:rolleyes:
When asked why they don't work, the couple say that looking after their children is a full time job

Despite the fact that nearly all of them are of school age anyway, so would spend most of the week at school.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how are they claiming job seekers when they have no intention of working?
  • Options
    I worry about some people:
    twins Parris-Jordan and Kesla Blu, eight; twins Mason and Peaches, six; Logan, four, and the three-year-old twins Skye and Kalifornya

The only "normal" names in there are the boys ones. The house should be taken off them just for naming their child "Kalifornya" ffs.

But I think this is fucking ridiculous. When Rich can't even get a decent one-bedroom flat despite working hard all week and earning above the average for people who've been out of uni as long as he has, it makes me so angry to see things like this. Particularly when a good proportion of what he earns from working days like yesterday (he was at work from 7:30 til 11pm) goes to scroungers like them.

Grr. Argh.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    how are they claiming job seekers when they have no intention of working?

They don't, it's housing benefit.

No offence, but I don't really have a problem with someone with 12 children being housed in a £500k house (not bad for 8 bedrooms). Obviously there's an issue with people bringing children into the world that they have no way of paying for, but what are you going to do? Castrate them? Put their kids into care (because we all know how successful that is don't we)? Force them all to live in a three bedroom terrace? What have the kids done wrong? And naturally, you get all the fucking snobs claiming they're the wrong sort to live round here.

The main issue here is that the bloke would get less money working, than he would claiming benefits. I do reckon he's using that as a bit of an easy answer though, since he could do courses which would get him better qualifications for free, so perhaps he hasn't been advised properly. But obviously the imbalance in how much he would earn needs to be addressed. Also the title of Britains Biggest scroungers can't exactly do much for the self-esteem of the kids in school, so it's in thier interest that one of the parents works. I'm sick of this "If I work a 40 hour week, I only get paid £20 more than I'd earn on benefits." So fucking what? And you'll save a fortune on the amount everyone else has to pay out on benefits. If there's a job that needs doing that will earn you the same amount or more than your benefits, you should be doing it (I recognise it's not always as simple as that, but we should at least stop accepting that as a legitimate excuse).

But there's also the question of where's the money going. How can they afford to run two cars?
  • Options
    You could argue that this particular couple are abusing the system, but I'd rather live in a country that provides for families and ensures children are cared for even if sometimes the system is abused, than in a country that offers no help to large familes just in case some people might abuse the system.

Most typical multi-bedroom houses are going to be worth half a million nowadays anyway. It's not as if they've been handed over a luxury estate mansion. But if they have 12 kids they're going to need something very large.
  • Options
    Their abuse of the system is no different to those who use the system to avoid paying tax. Funnily enough there was mucho support for that on these boards...

ETA It's not as if they are being "given" it either. They don't own the property, they rent it.
  • Options
    Is it weird/unusual practise for the council to decorate and furnish the place? When I was offered a council/housing association place it was striped with no flooring, furniture, not even light fittings- just the wire hanging down from the ceiling. I assumed all councils did the same, obviously not though.

It does suck big donkey balls to think you'd be better off staying at home than working full-time, less able to be hands-on when raising your child though. Although it's a poo pants situation, I think it's better to stay at home than to work full-time and be poorer.
  • Options
    £44K won't cover much in london with 12 kids will it?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    £44K won't cover much in london with 12 kids will it?

Love the comments at the bottom.

All that at the tax-payers' expense and they can afford to smoke as well. How can they justify claiming Jobseeker's Allowance when neither have the faintest intention of working for a living? These idiots deserve to be squeezed into a three-bedroomed house, if I was a taxpayer in Berkshire I'd be absolutely livid.

What with 12 kids? Bit of an idiot thing to say, harldy the kids fault now is it.

Still tho, 500k house , 12 kids ..... im gonna get shagging me thinks :p
  • Options
    It doesn't really matter how much the house is worth. It's not theirs to sell.

Nor the house has actually been 'given' to them... the whole article is classic right wing tabloid bollocks.

As MoK has said, this certainly no worse than the tens of thousands who abuse the system to avoid paying the taxes they should... though bizarrely that does not appear to bother some of the people who are so incensed at this.
  • Options
    They don't, it's housing benefit.

They receive the equivalent of £44,000 a year in benefits, a figure made up of £1,500 a month housing benefit; £1,200 a month child tax credit; £560 a month child benefits; £280 job seeker's allowance and £1,600 a year in council tax.
  • Options
    its a council house for a start so i dont see why the neighbours are moaning about having to work hard to get their houses..

as stated before its a large house and its a large family .. wouldnt really say its bad abuse of the system

people get so wound up over it i dont really understand it.. youd think they were coming up and taking the money out of your pocket.. youre gonna get taxed either way

its the new bandwagon eh!
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Despite the fact that nearly all of them are of school age anyway, so would spend most of the week at school.

I'm sure looking after their children IS a full time job, in case you haven't noticed there are TWELVE of them!

I agree with Aladdin,
    I'd rather live in a country that provides for families and ensures children are cared for even if sometimes the system is abused, than in a country that offers no help to large familes just in case some people might abuse the system.

Oh and that journalist is a bit shit - the ages and spellings of the children's names changes all the way through.
  • Options
    Yes, they need a place to live, but to decide from the outset that they will never contribute anything meaningful to society is wrong imho.
    Dad says he used to earn £350 a month at Asda, did he never consider perhaps applying for something a bit better paid?
  • Options
    I'm sure looking after their children IS a full time job, in case you haven't noticed there are TWELVE of them!

Surely only of them could work a few hours a day?
  • Options
    They say that looking after all those kids is a full time job. Imo if they leave a child that looks under the age of 1 alone giving it enough time to burn their other house down with a lighter then they can't be doing a very good job.
  • Options
    A couple of posters have recalled a recent thread about super rich taxpayers. I agree with the relevance in that these are just different players in the same game. They seem to know the rules and are subsequently exploiting them to their greatest advantage.

I'd suggest that if you accept the game, then whining and moaning about ANY participants doing well makes you appear a bit of a spoilsport.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    They say that looking after all those kids is a full time job. Imo if they leave a child that looks under the age of 1 alone giving it enough time to burn their other house down with a lighter then they can't be doing a very good job.

:yes:
    Dad says he used to earn £350 a month at Asda, did he never consider perhaps applying for something a bit better paid?

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    Tbh entirely agree with the local MP...
    "There is no excuse for any able-bodied person to be long-term unemployed in Reading, where jobs are plentiful.

"People who have large families should accept financial responsibility for that decision."

They should lose the JSA if they're not job-seeking... (Although no doubt they'd then invent a disability and start claiming incapacity).
  • Options
    (Although no doubt they'd then invent a disability and start claiming incapacity).

Don't you need an assessment for that before claiming to prove what you say you havem you really have got?
  • Options
    That's already been pointed out, Saz.
  • Options
    three of them are 4 and under so it wouldnt be easy for them to find work, certainly not that fitted around school hours.
    The thing is, even if one of them got a part time job, they could still claim WFTC so wouldnt necessarily be worse off, but it would be a hell of a lot harder to look after the kids probably with so many of them.

As has been said, its not their house anyway so they havent been given it. Theyve just been housed somewhere thats big enough for their needs. I dont see the big deal.
    Id rather that than see a big family cramped into a tiny house. 8 bedrooms they still will mostly all be sharing rooms.
    Who cares what their snobby neighbours think.
  • Options
    I hate stories like this. Their sole purpose is to rile people and get them to blah on about 'I pay my taxes wah wah wah'. The benefit system is there as a safety net and while there are people who abuse the system there are others who dont and would be pretty fucked without it.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Surely only of them could work a few hours a day?

They'd probably be a lot better off not working than if they had part time jobs.
  • Options
    we need a system that makes people work, one where if a job cant be found the people are made to do work for the local council or something until the find a job,
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    we need a system that makes people work, one where if a job cant be found the people are made to do work for the local council or something until the find a job,
    Like forced labour?

You can't make people work... Some people are better off on benefits too.

I don't think it's so much a problem that people don't want to work, I just think that a lot of it is self-esteem and also, why would you wanna work 40 hours a week in macDonalds and just about be able to afford a flatshare when you can not work and get a council house?

I think it is lot more to do with problems greater than a simple refusal to work and not something which can be challenged by being more authoritarian.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Like forced labour?

Yeah like forced labour, why should these people take so much from the system without putting anything back into it?
  • Options
    three of them are 4 and under so it wouldnt be easy for them to find work, certainly not that fitted around school hours.
    The thing is, even if one of them got a part time job, they could still claim WFTC so wouldnt necessarily be worse off, but it would be a hell of a lot harder to look after the kids probably with so many of them.

As has been said, its not their house anyway so they havent been given it. Theyve just been housed somewhere thats big enough for their needs. I dont see the big deal.
    Id rather that than see a big family cramped into a tiny house. 8 bedrooms they still will mostly all be sharing rooms.
    Who cares what theyre snobby neighbours think.
    My thoughts exactly ;)
  • Options
    The journalism is awful - it states weekly jobseekers allowance and then mentions an income support claim at the bottom. You don't receive both at the same time. You would get something like £85 a week for the the two adults on a joint claim, the rest of it is money for the children paid through Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit.

They are no better off than any other couple on benefits living in a council house, it's just the figures that look impressive when multiplied up. £44,000 a year doesn't go very far when divided down over 14 people. Once you have taken off the annual housing benefit entitlement which wouldn't be cash in their hands anyhow, it leaves them with £35 per head per week for food, utility bills, debts etc.
  • Options
    This does raise questions as to why the benefits system seems to punish people who actually want to work, surely there should be some sort of flexibility in it, so that they can gradually wean themselves off benefit. If as soon as you start earning your benefits are cut there is no incentive to work.

But, any parents who call their kids Parris-Jordan, Kesla Blu, Mason, Peaches, Skye and Kalifornya needs some sort of government help.
  • Options
    ^^ I think that's a really important point, it comes up in every thread like this. (Yet people still whinge about them being sponging scuffers who shouldn't have been allowed to even have children in the first place.)

I do agree about the names though!