Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jobless Couple With 12 Children Are Given £500,00 House

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote: »
    But, any parents who call their kids Parris-Jordan, Kesla Blu, Mason, Peaches, Skye and Kalifornya needs some sort of government help.

Certainly they could with some help in basic spelling. Paris should only have one 'r' and California starts with a 'c' and is spelt 'nia' not 'nya'
  • Options
    Its a problem with the benefits system, if by earning £300-350 a month p/t you loose half your housing benefit you'd be stupid to work.

Like with the wealthy any tax and benefit system needs to incentivise people to earn rather than make it better off for them to stay on benefits. Its not the fault of individuals that they do what's best for them and their family, its the fault of the system.

Anyway the eldest is going in the army so it hardly sounds like he's going to be scrounging of the system...
  • Options
    But, any parents who call their kids Parris-Jordan, Kesla Blu, Mason, Peaches, Skye and Kalifornya needs some sort of government help.

I'd say medical or chemical help rather than governmental help.
  • Options
    Its not the fault of individuals that they do what's best for them and their family, its the fault of the system.

exactly.. really dont get why people get so worked up and judgemental .. its other peoples business at the end of the day anyway

ah well they're only plebs! :thumb:
  • Options
    So theft (and presumably countless other crimes) are okay so long as the individual knows how to avoid/cheat/abuse the system?

Great.
  • Options
    I think it's our duty as a society to help support our families, even if it is such a large number like the one here. But think about it, a family on benefits with 12 children is nothing compared to the millions upon millions our super-rich cheat off us in unpaid taxes and offshore accounts.
  • Options
    Just out of interest, it says that the majority of these kids are from the couple's previous relationships. How the hell did they get custody, when they so clearly aren't able to provide for them all? Were they ex partners crack dealers or something?
  • Options
    Just out of interest, it says that the majority of these kids are from the couple's previous relationships. How the hell did they get custody, when they so clearly aren't able to provide for them all? Were they ex partners crack dealers or something?

Only 5 from the last couple iirc.

Fuck knows, the woman usually gets preference anyway.
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    exactly.. really dont get why people get so worked up and judgemental .. its other peoples business at the end of the day anyway

Its not really is it, they are living on benefit, which is our business because we as tax payers pay for it.
  • Options
    This story made me laugh more than anything else.

Mum: "Uh oh, i seem to be pregnant, again."
    Dad: "OK, i'll just crack open The Bumper Book of Ridiculous Names, again"
  • Options
    ETA It's not as if they are being "given" it either. They don't own the property, they rent it.

Ah, but you are forgetting about the evils of 'right to buy' legislation!
  • Options
    If they could only have a 3 bedroomed house then surely they might have thougth a little bit harder before having any more children.

a) People need to look at more family friendly working practices and someone needs to sort out the ridiculos cost of child care. I have a reasonably good job I think and i don't earn enough to actually pay someone else to look after my children and cover the cost of getting to and from work - should i ever have any.

b) the benefits system needs to be refined so that the ammount of benefits you recieve mean that you would be worse of than if you were on the minimum wage (maybe the minimum wage needs to be reviewed)

c) in order to stop people having too many children you could stop paying benefits for say the 4th child - the world is alreay over populated we cant' sustain people having any more than two really so 4 is being really generous. I'm not saying people can't have large families but you should be able to afford to hve them.

d) both parents clearly need a lot more education - the father clearly needs some kind of retraining and they both need to know some more about contraception me thinks along with some spelling tests. There are thousands of studies that prove that if you ensure women have access to good education then they have less children.

e) yes you shouldn't punish the children as they've done nothign wrong but they have to accept that their parents had them knowing that they couldn't afford to pay for them to have a decent standard of living.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    d) both parents clearly need a lot more education - the father clearly needs some kind of retraining and they both need to know some more about contraception me thinks along with some spelling tests.

Heh, spelling tests, fantastic.
  • Options
    This does raise questions as to why the benefits system seems to punish people who actually want to work, surely there should be some sort of flexibility in it, so that they can gradually wean themselves off benefit. If as soon as you start earning your benefits are cut there is no incentive to work.

Agreed. Fair enough, choose names that no-one else has, but not the stupid ones they've chosen.
    If they could only have a 3 bedroomed house then surely they might have thougth a little bit harder before having any more children.

Agreed

But we (the tax payers) are paying for it.

Does seem wrong that people like this family get loads of benefits, yet when my dad wasn't working, we were forced to just live on mum's wage...
  • Options
    Don't really see what the problem is

The house isn't theirs to keep, the woman already had 5 kids so they only had 7 kids together and even then twice they had twins. Most men would run a mile before getting involved with a woman with 5 kids.

If they're doing a good job of parenting then they'll be bringing up 12 future tax payers instead of 12 future dole bluggers.

£44K divide by 14 people aint that much

Hell of a lot cheaper then the wages of employing child minders for all those kids.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Does seem wrong that people like this family get loads of benefits,

Why is it wrong?
    yet when my dad wasn't working, we were forced to just live on mum's wage...

Really? Your dad didn't go on the dole when he wasn't working?
  • Options
    Its not the fault of individuals that they do what's best for them and their family, its the fault of the system.

I'd say it's entirely the other way around; the system exists to help legitimate cases, this is not a "fault". It's the fault of the loser father for having a family with 12 kids and aiming no higher than an ASDA shelf-stacker. Surely actually going out and getting qualified for something a little more substantial, thereby providing for your children, as well as providing a good example for your children would be doing what's best for your family.

EDIT: "Oh, it's the fault of the bank for not having better security, not my fault that I stole from it."
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Why is it wrong?

What's right about it? They should work like the rest of us have to.
    Really? Your dad didn't go on the dole when he wasn't working?

He got told he couldn't because mum was earning money.
  • Options

can claim JSA i believe, as long as you don't quit work
  • Options
  • Options
    They should work like the rest of us have to.

:rolleyes:

Then in that case your mum was obviously making enough money as it was to run the family.
  • Options
    wah wah fucking wah.

Would you go to work for nothing? Would go to work if it'd cost you £100 a week? I know I wouldn't, and if you say you would you're a liar.

They're not scrounging, the house is owned by the council and the council taxpayers will have the full benefit of rising property prices. The price for the house is not excessive for the size, and the family need the size.

The £44,000 a year includes the housing benefit and the council tax benefit, the actual income is around £25,000 a year. Sounds a lot, but I'd like to see you feed, clothe and heat 12 people for a year on that.

I'd expect nothing better from the Evening Standard, though. They understand how the benefits system work, but the journalists rely on others not.

None of the clients I speak to at work are "scrounging scum", and I defy anyone to say that they are when they see how badly the DWP treats them, and everyone else.

ETA: for a lot of people incapacity benefit is worse, as it's not a passporting benefit- there's no automatic right to housing benefit, for instance.
  • Options
    Then in that case your mum was obviously making enough money as it was to run the family.

Hardly. Her wage covered the rent and that was it. We had to cut down alot on stuff we would normally buy.
    They're not scrounging

How did you reach that conclusion?
  • Options
    Hardly. Her wage covered the rent and that was it. We had to cut down alot on stuff we would normally buy.

Really? You didn't even have the £7 extra a week for your food? I find that hard to believe.

You really are a simpleton Sofie.
  • Options
    Really? You didn't even have the £7 extra a week for your food? I find that hard to believe.

You really are a simpleton Sofie.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    In which case you should know how it feels to be hard up, and wish this family luck for their future, surely?
  • Options
    Why? They chose to have 12 children. My dad didn't choose to have his driving licence taken away from him (for a medical reason) and then be made redundant.
  • Options
    Why? They chose to have 12 children.

Yeh, "chose."
    My dad didn't choose to have his licence taken away from him (for a medical reason) and then be made redundant.

So he did have some money at least when made reduntant? Did he not claim a DLA if he had a medical condition that didn't allow him to work?
  • Options
    His medical condition does allow him to work.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I worry about some people:

The only "normal" names in there are the boys ones. The house should be taken off them just for naming their child "Kalifornya" ffs.

But I think this is fucking ridiculous. When Rich can't even get a decent one-bedroom flat despite working hard all week and earning above the average for people who've been out of uni as long as he has, it makes me so angry to see things like this. Particularly when a good proportion of what he earns from working days like yesterday (he was at work from 7:30 til 11pm) goes to scroungers like them.

Grr. Argh.

Dont be so fucking stuck up ! It's not their fault its the system. I can see why people would disagree but if i was being offered a nice house and loads of money (more than what i would get from working) then to be honest i would go for it !