Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jobless Couple With 12 Children Are Given £500,00 House

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Not everyone has the skills it needs to be a manager, not everyone wants to be a manger. Territ, from what you've said on here before, you grew up in a very priviliged family. You know fuck all about the real world.

You know very little about how to maintain a reasonable debate. You appear and it takes not two pages for this thread to divert to the usual curt non-replies and personal insults. Congratulations on keeping up the status quo of P&D.
  • Options
    You know very little about how to maintain a reasonable debate. You appear and it takes not two pages for this thread to divert to the usual curt non-replies and personal insults. Congratulations on keeping up the status quo of P&D.

The only person I can see not debating and aiming insults is you, with this post.
  • Options

No, territt does know fuck all about the real world. It's clear to see from his posts.
  • Options
    I don't think it's unreasonable to point out how someone's background (which they have revealed on here) affects how they see things. Territ clearly has very little clue if he thinks everyone can become a manager from being a shelf stacker.
  • Options
    Is anybody in this thread worse off because of this? :confused:

I don't really see why people get so riled up. The people in this article don't exactly seem to be living a life of luxury and I certainly see no one lining up to go down that route. Where are the girls going 'omg I want to become a broodmare so I can get a bigger house!' ?

I'm fairly sure that all of those that have posted here would rather go down the job route and know that they will be better off than this couple. I know that I certainly will.
  • Options
    Not everyone has the skills it needs to be a manager, not everyone wants to be a manger. Territ, from what you've said on here before, you grew up in a very priviliged family. You know fuck all about the real world.

i wouldnt say priviliged, but i do understand where your coming from, but where i had nice things going up as a kid it was because my mum worked hard for them, she run her own pub, was up at 6 in the morning and didnt get to bed till about 12 each night, just to be able to support me and my bother, untill she married my step father

thats why i feel the way i do about seeing other people sitting on there asse's not working,
  • Options
    I don't think it's unreasonable to point out how someone's background (which they have revealed on here) affects how they see things. Territ clearly has very little clue if he thinks everyone can become a manager from being a shelf stacker.

i think every has what it takes to become better if they would put the hard work into it,
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    No, territt does know fuck all about the real world. It's clear to see from his posts.

You may think he's naive, but absolutely nothing gets learnt when curt insults are banded about. P&D has a fantastic potential for exposing people to different view points, and educating people in general. Unfortunately, more often than the not the regulars manage to antagonise people to the point that a reasoned debate is almost impossible.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    i wouldnt say priviliged, but i do understand where your coming from, but where i had nice things going up as a kid it was because my mum worked hard for them, she run her own pub, was up at 6 in the morning and didnt get to bed till about 12 each night, just to be able to support me and my bother, untill she married my step father

thats why i feel the way i do about seeing other people sitting on there asse's not working,

Talk about missing the point. :D

How did your mum get the pub in the first place?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Talk about missing the point. :D

How did your mum get the pub in the first place?

she spent years and years working two jobs, saving up the money for a deposite and getting the skills needed to run it herself, all as a single mum,
  • Options
    You may think he's naive, but absolutely nothing gets learnt when curt insults are banded about. P&D has a fantastic potential for exposing people to different view points, and educating people in general. Unfortunately, more often than the not the regulars manage to antagonise people to the point that a reasoned debate is almost impossible.

C'mon now, anyone who has no problem with families starving deserves to be ridiculed.
  • Options

God thats awful. Id never work those hours whilst having kids at home. :no:
  • Options
    God thats awful. Id never work those hours whilst having kids at home. :no:

i think she did a good job, both me and my brother had bad Dyslexia, now im waiting a year or so before joining the royal navy as an officer, and my brother is joining the Royal Marines, so she must have been doing something right.
  • Options

get off your high horse would ya ?
  • Options
    i think she did a good job, both me and my brother had bad Dyslexia, now im waiting a year or so before joining the royal navy as an officer, and my brother is joining the Royal Marines, so she must have been doing something right.

but you must have hardly seen her?
  • Options
    but you must have hardly seen her?

we see her before school, then we always had dinner as a family untill i become like 14 or 15, i think its about finding the right balance,
  • Options
    Not every parent can work miracles Territt. I commend your mum for doing so, but it's not always possible for everyone.
    With this family the only thing that I disagree with is continuing to have a large number of children that they know they can't afford. But the children shouldn't have to suffer for that, that's why they're being taken care of.
  • Options

I didn't fling any insults.
  • Options
    she spent years and years working two jobs, saving up the money for a deposite and getting the skills needed to run it herself, all as a single mum,

Not everyone is capable of doing that. Not everyone wants to do that. I wouldn't.
  • Options
    Not everyone is capable of doing that. Not everyone wants to do that. I wouldn't.

i understand that, but i lived with one parent, with two as in this family it would be so much easier for one parent to work
  • Options
    I think that probably they WOULD be better off with one of them working if they applied for all the right benefits to help.
    There are plenty of benefits that people on a low income can claim to top up their wages, so whilst they might not be hundreds of pounds better off, they would still be a bit better off. Obviously it would be a hell of a lot harder for the one who stays at home with 3 children still below school age, and the other may feel pressure to stay at home and help out - who knows?
  • Options
    i understand that, but i lived with one parent, with two as in this family it would be so much easier for one parent to work

But do you have 11 siblings?
  • Options
    I think that probably they WOULD be better off with one of them working if they applied for all the right benefits to help.

A few years ago we worked out that if my Dad gave up his job we'd actually be better off. My Mum doesn't work - she has bad arthritis and can't.
  • Options
    I think this family as an example of why this country is going down hall, we support those to lazy to work and fuck over those that work hard, no wonder so many hard working people are leaving Briton

Looking after children is a full time job.
    It costs shit loads to bring up kids y'know.

:yes: And that's even before you think about child care... (it costs sonething like 2-3k in the first year to bring up a child)
  • Options
    people on this site seem to be such 'do-gooders' in all other areas .. but some of the comments when its comes to this subject :no:
  • Options
    It's the politics of envy!

Yep, from people who seem to consider the right to property to be the most important human right. Well personally, I see the right to life to be a bit more important, so I have no problem in everyone having to give up some of their property so that these kids can actually live like everyone else. The irony is that I wonder how many of the people calling this family scroungers are actually net contributors to the economy. I bet none of them.
  • Options
    get off your high horse would ya ?

*sigh*
  • Options
    I guess my concern with this issue is the extent to which this family's been propagating. Should they just be allowed to keep having children, with no intention or hope of being able to independantly support each subsequent child?

I'm not advocating we cut them off their benefits, or any other such draconian measure - that's going to punish the kids most. It just seems to me that they'll keep having them, and the public'll keep paying for them.
  • Options
    Yep, from people who seem to consider the right to property to be the most important human right. Well personally, I see the right to life to be a bit more important, so I have no problem in everyone having to give up some of their property so that these kids can actually live like everyone else. The irony is that I wonder how many of the people calling this family scroungers are actually net contributors to the economy. I bet none of them.

The irony is that "the politics of envy" is how right wingers often describe left wing views.
  • Options
    My heart bleeds.

If you earn £100K+ you can buy a house. Stop bloody whinging.

Do you know anything AT ALL about my family? No. Stop making assumptions. I also wasn't whinging, I was making a point, ta. If I was whinging, I'd be moaning more about the fact that my boyfriend lives in a shoebox which he pays far too much for in rent, but whatever.

Yeh he earns £100K+, but he also has 5 daughters, two are about to go to university, and one is 5 (yanno, that age where they are still growing pretty god damn fast). He also doesn't *actually* live here. He's looking for a house to move to when he retires that is big enough for him, his wife, and his 5 year old, and the best he's been able to find in the place he wants to live is a not-quite-big-enough flat. He bought that so he could stay on the housing market so that when they DO move here they still have a leg to stand on. So stfu.

Also - all this "if you have no qualifications you can't get anywhere" is bollocks. My very same dad came from a shitty background, got shitty GCSE's, shitty A Levels, and a shitty degree from a shitty polytechnic. The qualifications he did have were pretty much worthless. But he worked his ARSE off (and still does, he leaves the house before 6am every day and gets home at gone 6 every night) to get where he is, and now he's the MD of probably the biggest insurance company in Kenya, earning his £100k+. If you want something badly enough then you work for it. If not then you take responsibility for the fact that you can't afford to have 12 fucking children.