Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it shallow to be attracted to attractiveness, and look down on others?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what would you do if you had a child and people thought it was ugly?
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »
    Even though everyone on here's said they feel sorry for me and would rather they be them than me?

My friends did TeachFirst etc so are (trying to) teach in some of London's worst inner city comprehensives = lots of abuse, uncontrollable classes, sounds like hell. I'm sure teaching at a good private/grammar school where people are well-behaved would be a pleasure.

And I know people who also teach in very similar schools and get their buzz and enjoyment from helping those people.

Anyone going on about how wonderful their salary and friends are gets tedious, boring and annoying after a while and puts a dampner on anyones mood.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    what would you do if you had a child and people thought it was ugly?
    Marry someone fit for that to not happen in the first place ;) Seriously tho looking 'ugly' or 'fit' doesn't have to be that genetically based, it's down to taking good care of your health, staying in good shape, moisturiser / skin cleansers, hair products etc to look good. Don't I sound gay :D
  • Options
    I'm both arrogant/full of myself and have low self-esteem? Make your mind up.. I don't have low self-esteem.

Usually arrogant people have low self esteem...the arogance is an act to cover that.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    Usually arrogant people have low self esteem...the arogance is an act to cover that.
    Hmmm well I don't.. I feel good about myself. I know I'm good CV-wise, previously I had low self-esteem about being 'unfanciable' but now that doesn't seem to be the case I have no self-esteem issues.
  • Options
    Marry someone fit for that to not happen in the first place ;) Seriously tho looking 'ugly' or 'fit' doesn't have to be that genetically based, it's down to taking good care of your health, staying in good shape, moisturiser / skin cleansers, hair products etc to look good. Don't I sound gay :D
    you cannot take it for granted u will have good looking kids - my dad's a right minger (apparently lol) and I'm not too bad.
    Preening, plucking and all that shit wouldn't get rid of a big birth mark on someone's face!
  • Options
    Hmmm well I don't.. I feel good about myself. I know I'm good CV-wise, previously I had low self-esteem about being 'unfanciable' but now that doesn't seem to be the case I have no self-esteem issues.

This whole thread shouts low self esteem. The fact that it had upset/worried you what we all said last time about you being shallow. If you really were as ok and happy about yourself you wouldn't have paid that the slightest bit of notice.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    This whole thread shouts low self esteem. The fact that it had upset/worried you what we all said last time about you being shallow. If you really were as ok and happy about yourself you wouldn't have paid that the slightest bit of notice.
    'Curious why other people object to my way of life, even though I'm happy living like this and wouldn't want to change' is different from 'low self esteem'.
  • Options
    'Curious why other people object to my way of life, even though I'm happy living like this and wouldn't want to change' is different from 'low self esteem'.

Except no one was objecting to your way of life, except for the fact that you said you weren't happy in that thread. People were giving advice on how you could improve your happiness, based on what you told us.
  • Options
    I'm happy living like this and wouldn't want to change

Then why piss and moan about your life to us?
  • Options
    I'm both arrogant/full of myself and have low self-esteem? Make your mind up.. I don't have low self-esteem.

They're not mutually exclusive y'know? Anyone who seeks the approval and admiration of others as much as you do has got have self-esteem issues.
  • Options
    Then why piss and moan about your life to us?

Quite. :)
  • Options
    a few months ago you were contemplating shooting yourself jomery. is the high-flying city graduate life really as rosey and desirable as you'd have us believe?
  • Options
    I'm happy living like this and wouldn't want to change'

Never Kissed A Girl

Getting Me Down

Going to Top myself

You started all these threads and none sounds like someone who is happy with their life. The first thing to do before you ucan make things better is to accept that you may be part of the reason why people don't like/fancy you. It's not just about "them"...

People here are trying to help you, they have offered some wise words of advise. So what if you earn a shit load of cash, it sounds like you have much to learn about "living" from the paupers using these boards. Wisdom is something that money just doesn't buy.
  • Options
    I completely agree with MOK- Jomery, you say you don't have self esteem and you're happy with life yet you come accross as a very unhappy and insecure person. In my experience, people who focus on looks as being very important are the ones who are the most insecure- so perhaps it's time to look a little deeper at yourself and think more about what you're saying before you judge everyone on here who as MOK has said, have tried to help. If you can't, and if you feel unable to accept what people are saying, perhaps it's time you moved on and we let this thread go.
  • Options
    Reputation, reputation, reputation! O! I have lost my reputation. I have lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial. My reputation, Iago, my reputation! (Cassio, Othello)

So you're worried about hanging out with the underdogs will ruin you reputation?

A reputation for what? Being a shallow, arrogant and generally judgemental person? Like I've said before, you don't come across as very nice... I certainly wouldn't hang out with you if you're as conceited in real life as you come across here. Bad vibes man...

I would rather have a reputation for being a friendly and good natured street cleaner than somebody who works in a high paid job and looks down on others and forms shallow and souless relationships with people based on looks and career. I find is sad that people value such things so highly... Guess it's just the way the "other half" live. But you can't have very good self-esteem if you care so much about what other people think.

And rating women... Giving them points? Again... That's sad because if you truelly cannot see beyond the points a woman achieves for how you think she looks, or her paypacket then you're missing out on the best parts of what a woman is. Her softness, that cute way she giggles, her mind, her spirit, her strength... The fact that automatically say your "7/10 yadda yadda Oxbridge ect girlfriend" completely dismisses anthing that (most) women love to be valued for. I hope that one day she will find somebody who doesn't post immature crap like that on internet messageboards and instead starts threads like "I've met the most incredible woman who I'd die for".

Hey, maybe you have started such threads on other boards... or maybe you will once you get to know her better, or at least get to put your dick in her because hey, you're pretty confident you'll do that soon and have no issues with admitting it on messageboards, right?

And what are you without your cash? A hollow shell? Are you less of a person?

You know, you can experience the most amazing things and live a wicked life without hanging out in upper class wine bars. You can manage a decent night out in London for £30 (drink before hand, unless you're a lightweight) and you can meet people on all levels who will value for who you are. I'm not saying your mates don't value you... But your obsession with reputation and who you hang out with suggest that you're so frightened of judgement that you're scared that people will leave?

What makes you happier Jomery, real friendship or money? Because once you go without the cash and when you're hard up, that is when your real friends show themselves.
  • Options
    It's not 'ordinary' to get a string of A*s (OK these days loads of people do but not when I took them), get an Oxbridge degree, be on a 6fig salary in early 20s, etc. This stuff I take for granted tho.

One of my very good friends just got a first in one of his assignments, at the end of his first year at Cambridge. A year ago he managed to get the highest possible grade (one which a very small handful of people in the WORLD manage to achieve) in the International Baccalaureate, which (let me tell you from experience) is hardly the easiest of qualifications at the best of times. Before that he managed to get top grades in every single GCSE he sat. His grammar school said that he was the best linguist they have ever seen. He is fluent in French, almost fluent in Spanish (although the most impressive part of this is that he started learning it at beginner level at the same time I did and managed to get a 7 at higher level less than two years later), knows Latin and Ancient Greek, taught himself Czech, is teaching himself Polish afaik, and is currently learning German as part of his joint degree. He wrote his Extended Essay (look it up) in French, which takes some doing. He is without a doubt the smartest person I know. He is very, very far from what you term "ordinary".

But he is also one of the most sociable, entertaining, fun-loving people I know. He cares more about his friends than anything else in the world, no matter who they are or where they come from. He is genuine, and honest, and understanding. He is also incredibly modest and frequently says that he's not worthy of all the things he's achieved, despite the fact that he's worked so, SO hard to achieve them. And he would never, EVER judge anybody based on their appearance or their social standing, because he's not that fucking stupid or judgemental.

Open your mind, Jomery, because you're a fucking ARSEHOLE right now who needs a taste of the real world and what it can offer you. Although I am inclined to agree with Yerascrote and say that the likelihood of you actually being for real is very, very small.
  • Options
    You seem to think that having money and hanging around with all of your oxbridge grad 'friends', - who really you're only friends with each other to try and claw your ways to the top. It sounds very much like an american high school, where people brag about money and hang around in social groups to try and get themselves to the top. Some fun. I'm much happier enjoying a cheap meal in Ma Hubbards with my friends than sat in a trendy wine bar arse licking a load of high fliers to try and up my status in the social circle. If you're so happy with your life then why complain to us paupers?
  • Options
    Attractiveness is an added bonus, everyone likes 'pretty' things. But personally for me someone who looks great can immediately become ugly if they appear to be nasty or whatever...and yeah as for looking down on others as you say because of status/looks, I think that is seriously nuts and you seem like a highly deluded person who needs to sort themselves out!
  • Options
    Fairy wrote: »
    Attractiveness is an added bonus, everyone likes 'pretty' things. But personally for me someone who looks great can immediately become ugly if they appear to be nasty or whatever...and yeah as for looking down on others as you say because of status/looks, I think that is seriously nuts and you seem like a highly deluded person who needs to sort themselves out!

:yes:
  • Options
    Never Kissed A Girl

Getting Me Down

Going to Top myself

You started all these threads and none sounds like someone who is happy with their life. The first thing to do before you ucan make things better is to accept that you may be part of the reason why people don't like/fancy you. It's not just about "them"...

People here are trying to help you, they have offered some wise words of advise. So what if you earn a shit load of cash, it sounds like you have much to learn about "living" from the paupers using these boards. Wisdom is something that money just doesn't buy.
    Great research skills there mate - find things I wrote months ago when I was unhappy because there was a problem, and insinuate that I am still unhappy now even though that problem has gone. Yes, I was fucking depressed because there was one big piece missing from an otherwise perfect life - that I deemed myself 'unfanciable'. Then I pulled/briefly dated a 16yo but this didn't make me feel better whatsoever 'cos I felt I couldn't get anyone my own age, and she wasn't all that..I was embarrassed to be seen with her. But now I'm dating someone whose lovely and I'm proud to be with so I'm content/relaxed and no longer think I'm unfanciable. So now for the first time in my life I feel fine, though admittedly not some feeling of ecstacy that everything's perfect, like I said everyday people will be as/more 'happy' than me. Don't know how to increase 'happiness' as I have pretty much everything I want right now, but I'm content with being content rather than permanently overjoyed. :)
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    One of my very good friends just got a first in one of his assignments, at the end of his first year at Cambridge. A year ago he managed to get the highest possible grade (one which a very small handful of people in the WORLD manage to achieve) in the International Baccalaureate, which (let me tell you from experience) is hardly the easiest of qualifications at the best of times. Before that he managed to get top grades in every single GCSE he sat. His grammar school said that he was the best linguist they have ever seen. He is fluent in French, almost fluent in Spanish (although the most impressive part of this is that he started learning it at beginner level at the same time I did and managed to get a 7 at higher level less than two years later), knows Latin and Ancient Greek, taught himself Czech, is teaching himself Polish afaik, and is currently learning German as part of his joint degree. He wrote his Extended Essay (look it up) in French, which takes some doing. He is without a doubt the smartest person I know. He is very, very far from what you term "ordinary".

But he is also one of the most sociable, entertaining, fun-loving people I know. He cares more about his friends than anything else in the world, no matter who they are or where they come from. He is genuine, and honest, and understanding. He is also incredibly modest and frequently says that he's not worthy of all the things he's achieved, despite the fact that he's worked so, SO hard to achieve them. And he would never, EVER judge anybody based on their appearance or their social standing, because he's not that fucking stupid or judgemental.

Open your mind, Jomery, because you're a fucking ARSEHOLE right now who needs a taste of the real world and what it can offer you. Although I am inclined to agree with Yerascrote and say that the likelihood of you actually being for real is very, very small.
    You're on abt Byrn? Guy's a legend, met him a couplea times through my brother.. watch him change over the next few years as the investment banking and management consultancy recruiters latch onto him next term!! ;)
  • Options
    You're on abt Byrn? Guy's a legend, met him a couplea times through my brother.. watch him change over the next few years as the investment banking and management consultancy recruiters latch onto him next term!! ;)
    His name is Bryn, not Byrn. It slightly scares me that you know him, but whatever. But he won't change, because that's not the kind of person Bryn is. Besides, afaik he doesn't want to do investment banking or management consultancy. He's far too worldly to do something boring like that.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    now I'm dating someone whose lovely and I'm proud to be with so I'm content/relaxed and no longer think I'm unfanciable.

Do you think she's only with you because of your good look and money? Would that bother you?
    You feel proud to be with her in the same way you'd be proud of a new flashy watch? What about love, passion and honesty?

You look down you teacher acquaintances. They make not make as much money. Do you not think they have a rather more noble and respected career than you?

The only people you're impressing are those that are as shallow and blind as yourself. All substance.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    His name is Bryn, not Byrn. It slightly scares me that you know him, but whatever. But he won't change, because that's not the kind of person Bryn is. Besides, afaik he doesn't want to do investment banking or management consultancy. He's far too worldly to do something boring like that.
    That was me 4 years ago, and half of Cambridge's aspiring politicians, philantrophists and philosophers, just you wait!!
  • Options
    Even though everyone on here's said they feel sorry for me and would rather they be them than me?

My friends did TeachFirst etc so are (trying to) teach in some of London's worst inner city comprehensives = lots of abuse, uncontrollable classes, sounds like hell. I'm sure teaching at a good private/grammar school where people are well-behaved would be a pleasure.

Maybe if the working class children didn't get such a raw deal there wouldn't be as much bad behaviour. It's no use complaining about them because someone has to do the job and try to help. If all teachers went to the private system to teach all the little angels then the system would be fucked.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Do you think she's only with you because of your good look and money? Would that bother you?
    She is attracted to ambition, and wouldn't be with me if I wasn't rich/ambitious, which is a good thing as that's my forte / selling point against peers.
    Skive wrote: »
    You look down you teacher acquaintances. They make not make as much money. Do you not think they have a rather more noble and respected career than you?
    Riiight, being yet another teacher, which anyone with a 2.2 from any uni can do, starting on under £25k is more 'respected' than winning a coveted grad place at a prestigious firm, providing the best training opportunities to make something of your life and be a future business leader. How far away from the real world are you?
  • Options
    She is attracted to ambition, and wouldn't be with me if I wasn't rich/ambitious, which is a good thing as that's my forte / selling point against peers.

Or it could just be that she's not interested in you; just your money?

Is there any reason why you seem to look down on nearly everyone?
  • Options
    Riiight, being yet another teacher, which anyone with a 2.2 from any uni can do, starting on under £25k is more 'respected' than winning a coveted grad place at a prestigious firm, providing the best training opportunities to make something of your life and be a future business leader. How far away from the real world are you?

You don't really think people in the city are more respected than teachers do you? I mean, come on, you can't be aware of much of the 'real world' if you don't know how most people think of people in the city.

Most people I know think of teachers as doing an incredibly hard job in a difficult situation and most city workers as arrogant tax dodgers. You're hardly disproving the rule.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

With that attitude, I'd like to see you do my job. If you think that 'anyone' can do it, come and show us, and I bet you wouldn't last a week :thumb:
This discussion has been closed.