Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it shallow to be attracted to attractiveness, and look down on others?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jomery,

The last thing I recall reading is that you'd been cautioned for stalking/harassing somebody, you'd been fired, and that you'd never work in your industry again.

So - what exactly are you doing now to earn good money, if all your experience is in banking etc, yet you're unable to work in that?
  • Options
    No when I wrote that I was worried I'd get a permanent record etc but wasn't, quickly got headhunted elsewhere and funnily enough skipped 7mths to get promoted to the next rung of the ladder and earning a fair bit more.

Got a networking event to go to, will be back 9ish.x
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »
    No when I wrote that I was worried I'd get a permanent record etc but wasn't, quickly got headhunted elsewhere and funnily enough skipped 7mths to get promoted to the next rung of the ladder and earning a fair bit more.

Got a networking event to go to, will be back 9ish.x

"Skipped 7 months to get promoted to the next rung of the ladder"?

Must be different in your industry - mine you get promoted if you're good enough, not by how long you've been somewhere.
  • Options
    Jomery-I think you're full of shit, you're probably a spotty 15 year old who works in Maccie D's.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Yeh, you big show off you. Tell us about all those "high quality" women you've pulled ;)

What women?

TBH, I'd rather be friends wityh someone who I consider ugly who I got on well with than someone who was stuck up.
  • Options
    So what, I'm proud to show off online photo albums of me with beautiful high quality women and ambitious guys rather than Joe Average just like everyone else.

Come on then, put your money where your mouth is and show us a picture of you with all these "high quality women" then. Incidentally, all of my female friends are high quality women, and it has nothing to do with their looks. Though I bet most of them are hotter than your friends anyway.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Jomery-I think you're full of shit, you're probably a spotty 15 year old who works in Maccie D's.

TBH, it does sound pretty similar to a shallow little teenage boy who adds anyone good looking to their myspace, to make themselves appear popular with the girls.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »

:yes: I agree. I swore I wasnt going to bother replying and become part of the circus Jomery seems to crave.

But I have to agree with Yerascrote, Im very sceptical :chin: <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=j>[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  • Options
    If you take a look at some of Jomerys previous posts it's all too well he's full of shit.

First kiss at 23 and even admits she wasn't pretty, and still a virgin.

Sound like Jomery is doing a top job of pulling all these "high class women"
  • Options
    Well we had all this shit before with his multiple accounts, facts that don't tally and that time when he used one of his different accounts to reply to his own thread :lol: Waste of space.
  • Options
    In Jomery's defence, his grasp of the English language, expecially of the vernacular associated with 'his' class is way above what one would expect from a kid just messing around...

Also, the guest list companies that gain you access to these exclusive venues aren't THAT difficult to get yourself on to. I used to use a couple, but found that I much preferred the venues (and people) that I still go to nowadays. Many of my friends do very well for themselves indeed, many do not - the thing is, it's not important to us. That is certainly horses for courses though, people.
  • Options
    Feels good to know high-calibre people who wouldn't talk to anyone want to associate with you, feels good to stroll into exclusive venues most of the population would be denied access to, etc.

I agree, it does feel good to be able to do that, and I'm blessed that I know some fairly important people.

I'm even more blessed because I was their friend when they had nothing and they were nothing, and I know that what we have is real!

I don't think you are lying about your profession, or your ability to walk into places, but that's all because of how shiny your credit card is, not how good you are as a person. That's the saddest thing of all. You expect everyone to be wowed by your bank balance, when emotionally you're insolvent.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I don't think you are lying about your profession, or your ability to walk into places, but that's all because of how shiny your credit card is, not how good you are as a person. That's the saddest thing of all. You expect everyone to be wowed by your bank balance, when emotionally you're insolvent.

Agreed.

To be honest, I would love a crack at the investment banking side of things. I'm a little bored with the whole Test Management Consultant deal now and I certainly don't think it could be any higher pressure than my current role. I know the grass isn't always greener, but change can be good.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I dislike ugly people and would be embarrassed to be associated with them / seen hanging out with them.

Your are an arse. You limit yourself because for you attractiveness is far more important than friendship, honesty and loyalty - the three attributes which make good lifeliong friends. That is why I feel sorry for you.
    You make friends for purely selfish reasons, to ultimately make you feel better about yourself.
    I'm entirely aware that is my own problem and not theirs.

You got that right.
    So what, I'm proud to show off online photo albums of me with beautiful high quality women and ambitious guys rather than Joe Average just like everyone else.

High quality friends are not determined by money or looks. Have you ever had any proper friends?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Have you ever had any proper friends?

I would surmise not.
  • Options
    Funny how those people that only like attractive people are those with the least friends.

I couldn't care less how attractive my mates are, their job, social standing or anything. I make friends with people that make me feel good. End of. As for relationships i obviously go for people i'm attracted to, whether they're universally attractive is another thing though. They might be considered ugly by everyone else but since when has everyone elses opinions been the most important thing?
  • Options
    Jeomery - we couldn't honestly give a shit. Now move on.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    Funny how those people that only like attractive people are those with the least friends.

I couldn't care less how attractive my mates are, their job, social standing or anything. I make friends with people that make me feel good. End of. As for relationships i obviously go for people i'm attracted to, whether they're universally attractive is another thing though. They might be considered ugly by everyone else but since when has everyone elses opinions been the most important thing?

:yes: TBH, I don't fancy most of my friends and like them because of the person they are and not how they look.

As for people I fancy - I couldn't care less what everyone thinks. They're not the one going out with them, are they?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Feels good to know high-calibre people who wouldn't talk to anyone want to associate with you

This is the heart of the matter. 'High-calibre' people to you means attractive and wealthy, to me it means people I can rely on and people who I can trust because it's in their nature.

If you had a car accident and were horribly disfigured and coudln't work anymore, your so called friends would soon dissapear. Mine wouldn't, and there's the differennce.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    This is the heart of the matter. 'High-calibre' people to you means attractive and wealthy, to me it means people I can rely on and people who I can trust because it's in their nature.

If you had a car accident and were horribly disfigured and coudln't work anymore, your so called friends would soon dissapear. Mine wouldn't, and there's the differennce.

Spot on :thumb:
  • Options
    :yes: I agree. You've got to find someone attractive in order to want to be with them.

I can't/don't fancy ugly people, and tbh I don't tend to associate with people who aren't at least average looking. I don't honestly know why this happens, but it's just a feeling I get from people who aren't good looking.

I don't see anything wrong with being attracted to a certain type of person. Some people like blondes, some like brunettes; I like beautiful people. *shrug*

So what if people think you're ugly? You don't mind them ignoring you?
  • Options
    Not particularly. People can ignore me, it's their choice...

I don't ignore anyone unless they've done something to deserve it. It's not like I'm allergic to ugly people, I just can't relate.
  • Options

I don't ignore anyone unless they've done something to deserve it. It's not like I'm allergic to ugly people, I just can't relate.

How can you not relate to ugly people?!
  • Options
    Sometimes I don't get Jomery, half the time he is up there on his pedestal looking down at all of us, and the next moment he's crying out to us that nobody loves him.

Actually I think the two are combined. They say (Avot, chapter 4, mishnah 1). Who is rich? He who is content with their lot. Yet we seem to find so often that it is those who are the highest achievers who are the least content, and I actually think this is natural - those who are content with what they already have are likely to be those who do not strive for better and so will often under-achieve.

Reminds me of the time the press gave the snub to Andrew Ridgeley. He emerged from a nightclub and all the photographers put their cameras down and refused to take a picture, and he was well aggrieved.

Maybe you should take a step down from your "high-society" life because you're obviously not happy with it. How about spending some of your money on social coaching?
  • Options

But who's to say that you aren't ugly?
    Catch my drift?
  • Options
    In what way do you mean "relate"? Who is the judge anyway as to whether or not someone is ugly? Do you wear sandals? If so, I find them very ugly and the same to whoever is wearing them.
  • Options
    What a perverse thread.

Although it has brought up one of my favourite phrases
    Kermit wrote:
    emotionally insolvent

Because those two words sum up anyone who can't be friends with someone for who they are, just for what they look like or what the can get from them.

Personally, I find it really easy to avoid people like that.
  • Options
    If you're in a big town in this country there will be hundreds and thousands of other people there. There are thousands of fellow people your own age you could potentially become good friends with. So given you have such a large choice of who you can be friends with, why not choose the ones who can make your life better/happier? ie ones who could help further your career through contacts they have, ones where your intellectual synergies means in future you'll set up a successful enterprise, people whose contacts mean you get to go to top clubs, mingle with celebrities, etc? I have everything other people have with 'friendship' - people I can have a heart-to-heart with, stay up late into the night chatting, do favours whenever needed, and I additionally have the benefit that these people have, and will, change my life for the better. In a culture of "I scratch my back you scratch mine" there is a solid relationship of helping one another out whether in a personal/social or business circumstance because you know they'll be there for you in return. But no if I was in a car-crash and became horribly disfigured / unemployed of course I'd lose a lot of people close to me, but I'd opt for euthanasia anyway, wouldn't want them to spend time with me when I can't give them anything back.
  • Options
    I am comfortable enough with myself and with social situations not to care who I hang around with. Tbh, I feel sad for people who define others by their social status, their politics, their wealth or their physical appearance. You're cutting yourself off from some amazing experiences and some wicked parties if you do.

I'm not lonely though, I can confidentily say that. If you're a stuck up shallow person, you will attract stuck up shallow people who will judge you not on who you are, but what you are, no bones about it. Misery loves company and so does arrogance.
  • Options
    you'd opt for euthanasia if you were disfigured :eek2:

you know what's really tragic - you feel the only thing you have to give is your looks and contacts. That's so screwed up, I'm sorry to hear it. For a start, if you're that hot, someone would have shagged you by now. Otherwise, don't I remember you're an oxbridge graduate? Doesn't that tend to involve some intellectual spark?

I feel so sorry for you that you don't feel you have any actual personal qualities to give to a relationship or the world. Honey you need to get some help because life like that swiftly becomes meaningless...
This discussion has been closed.