Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Is it shallow to be attracted to attractiveness, and look down on others?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    U-G-L-Y You aint got no alibi. Hey, hey, YOU UGLY!
    I dont know whats worse, the fact that you remember that song or the fact that i do
    icey wrote: »
    I dont know whats worse, the fact that you remember that song or the fact that i do

or that I used to sing it. tehehe :angel:
    Physical attraction is possibly the most important thing in a relationship, in as much as it's the first thing about someone that you notice. Before you've even said a word to each other, you've seen each other and thus already formed an opinion on them based on their physical attraction. Shallow this may sound but to one degree or another, this is true. So whilst in the long-run, it takes a back seat in importance, initially, physical attraction is, I would say, the most important.
    :yes: I agree. You've got to find someone attractive in order to want to be with them.

I can't/don't fancy ugly people, and tbh I don't tend to associate with people who aren't at least average looking. I don't honestly know why this happens, but it's just a feeling I get from people who aren't good looking.

I don't see anything wrong with being attracted to a certain type of person. Some people like blondes, some like brunettes; I like beautiful people. *shrug*
    tbh I don't tend to associate with people who aren't at least average looking.

You can't date someone who you don't fancy, that makes sense, but you get a "funny feeling" from standing too close to "ugly" people? Is ugliness contagious now?

What the fuck?

You're weird.
    wow you are such a great person
    If I were Ilora I'd hang out with ugly people because they'd be less chance of them wearing the same clothes as me :D

Yes, it is shallow to look down on others because they are not as attractive as you.

Maybe Ilora and Jomery should get together?
    I think most people are shallow to some extent. I wouldn't go out with someone I didn't find good looking. BUT its a totally different thing to look down on someone just because you consider them to be less attractive or have a lower social status. I think thats the type of attitude a stupid teenager has, not an adult. Not someone who has matured and learnt that there's more to a person than how much money they make.

Jomery and his peers may be rolling in money but how does that make him a better person that someone who earns half his salary? And the world that he decribes sounds void of any real happiness, its like everything is for show. A constant keeping up appearances must become very tiring and depressing.
    I don't look down on ugly people, there's just always been a correlation between people who aren't good looking and the levels of resentment that come in my direction. I've noticed bitterness coming from people, the only reason I can think of is attractiveness.
    I don't look down on ugly people, there's just always been a correlation between people who aren't good looking and the levels of resentment that come in my direction.

:lol:

I would offer you a spade, but you're doing well enough anyway.
    I've noticed bitterness coming from people, the only reason I can think of is attractiveness.

I could never hope to be as attractive and warm-hearted as you, and, to be quite honest. I'm not really fit to post on the same message board as you. Don't stand too close, you might catch my ugly disease and then you'll be sorry.
    I'm not afraid of 'digging my own grave' because I'm being honest. If I said 'yeah I love everyone, everyone's beautiful' I'd be lying. I'd rather be honest and shallow, than a liar.
    I don't look down on ugly people, there's just always been a correlation between people who aren't good looking and the levels of resentment that come in my direction. I've noticed bitterness coming from people, the only reason I can think of is attractiveness.

Are you off your head?? Perhaps people just don't like you.
    They probably don't :lol:

This is all based on you considering yourself to be good looking though, what if you actually aren't as good looking as you think you are? Do you not think some people might have a negative opinion of you because they might think your heads up your own arse?

Attractiveness is attractive of course, but the more you attractive you consider yourself to be, the less attractive you actually become. That's not even a looks thing, it's to do with your head being stuck up your arse.

I'm not saying bitterness based on looks doesn't exist cause I can give examples of that happening to friends and ex girlfriends of mine, but you can't base any negative reaction to you to be based on jealousy surely? Is that really how you were brought up?
    They probably don't :lol:

Well if they don't like you I would think that's more to do with your attitude towards them and your snotty personality rather than them feeling "resentment" and "bitterness". What a joke!
    lipsy wrote: »
    Jomery and his peers may be rolling in money but how does that make him a better person that someone who earns half his salary? And the world that he decribes sounds void of any real happiness, its like everything is for show. A constant keeping up appearances must become very tiring and depressing.
    Well I've said here I'm sure most people with no A-Levels earning just £20k a year or whatever will be much happier and content in life. If anything the more simple the more happy - look at Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan etc, they're all so f*cked up and insecure they need to take cocaine, a lot of celebrities have serious psychological issues, they're definitely not as a whole 'happier' than other people. But that's life I can't change my lifestyle - wouldn't be able to go get a 'simple' job cos I'd be 'overqualified' with not enough relevant work experience in that field, you can't just change your friends with a click of a finger either.
    She's nowt special, that's the amusing thing.
    What's your job Jomery? I can't remember what it is.

And ... "just" £20k a year? I wish I was earning that!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Ilora and Jomery are one of kind. Snotty, shallow and arrogant.

If they base their friendships on how attractive they are, then they are going to wind up some seriously shit friends. It's a horrible attitude to have but to be honest I feel more sorry for them than anything.
    Weekender Offender 
    I think its really sad that so many people put style over substance, but its their loss, not mine. They're the ones who'll be lonely when their "friends" ditch them once the money and looks fade. I would feel sorry for them, but they bring it on themselves.

Still, I'm happy in my fairly low-paid job helping people, living in my little terrace house with my wife and cat, driving my knackered old car and shopping at Nettos for my booze and tins because its 25% cheaper than Tesco. I can afford my mortgage and the odd holiday, and I know that the friends I have like me because of who I am, not because of how much dough I rake in or what car I drive.
    Skive wrote: »
    Ilora and Jomery are one of kind. Snotty, shallow and arrogant.

If they base their friendships on how attractive they are, then they are going to wind up some seriously shit friends. It's a horrible attitude to have but to be honest I feel more sorry for them than anything.

:yes:

Ilora-catch a fucking grip of yourself. You're not exactly miss fucking universe either.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    there's just always been a correlation between people who aren't good looking and the levels of resentment that come in my direction. I've noticed bitterness coming from people, the only reason I can think of is attractiveness.

I think you'll find the answer is far more simple. It's not your beautiful bone structure and perfect skin people hate you for (most people arn't as shallow as that) it's your ugly attitude.

Wise up.
    Weekender Offender 
    Jomery wrote: »
    Well I've said here I'm sure most people with no A-Levels earning just £20k a year or whatever will be much happier and content in life. If anything the more simple the more happy - look at Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan etc, they're all so f*cked up and insecure they need to take cocaine, a lot of celebrities have serious psychological issues, they're definitely not as a whole 'happier' than other people. But that's life I can't change my lifestyle - wouldn't be able to go get a 'simple' job cos I'd be 'overqualified' with not enough relevant work experience in that field, you can't just change your friends with a click of a finger either.

People with a £20k job are inevitably "simple" and "content"? That's the biggest Wordsworthian backhanded load of bollocks I've heard in a long time.

The problem here seems to be perception. You few individuals forming the "I'm just being honest and I hate uggers" camp (I've forgotten how many and who you are) on here perceive people's reactions to you to be based on their inherent jealousies and faults. Yet the very people you speak of will perceive your reaction to them as indicative of that same insecurity. E.g. a need to be associated with "beautiful" people could be interpreted, by anyone with a layman's grasp of psychology, to come from the fear that if you do not associate purely with these "beautiful" souls then you will cease to be "beautiful" yourself.

Maybe if you spent less time defending your ingrained beliefs on the internet and more time in the real world challenging them, you'd be pleasantly surprised about people you normally wouldn't choose to associate with. Or else, have your narcissism confirmed.
    The problem here seems to be perception. You few individuals forming the "I'm just being honest and I hate uggers" camp (I've forgotten how many and who you are) on here perceive people's reactions to you to be based on their inherent jealousies and faults. Yet the very people you speak of will perceive your reaction to them as indicative of that same insecurity. E.g. a need to be associated with "beautiful" people could be interpreted, by anyone with a layman's grasp of psychology, to come from the fear that if you do not associate purely with these "beautiful" souls then you will cease to be "beautiful" yourself.
    I've not said anything of the sort, I most certainly don't think other people would be jealous of me, that was the other person. I dislike ugly people and would be embarrassed to be associated with them / seen hanging out with them. I'm entirely aware that is my own problem and not theirs. So what, I'm proud to show off online photo albums of me with beautiful high quality women and ambitious guys rather than Joe Average just like everyone else.
    Why though? Does it make you feel better about yourself to associate with good looking people?
    I've not said anything of the sort, I most certainly don't think other people would be jealous of me, that was the other person. I dislike ugly people and would be embarrassed to be associated with them / seen hanging out with them. I'm entirely aware that is my own problem and not theirs. So what, I'm proud to show off online photo albums of me with beautiful high quality women and ambitious guys rather than Joe Average just like everyone else.

You are a weirdo, full stop.
    So what? You're quite right, it doesn't matter to us.

But if you're not going to take the advice given, then I really don't understand why the fuck you keep coming back. You stay miserable and lonely with your "high quality" women, and I'll stay happy with my ordinary friends and my Bulgarian wine.

The attitude isn't anything to do with the work, btw, one of my friends is fairly senior in RBS and she doesn't have a chip on her shoulder about how great she is.
    Why though? Does it make you feel better about yourself to associate with good looking people?
    Obviously. Feels good to know high-calibre people who wouldn't talk to anyone want to associate with you, feels good to stroll into exclusive venues most of the population would be denied access to, etc.
    So what, I'm proud to show off online photo albums of me with beautiful high quality women and ambitious guys rather than Joe Average just like everyone else.

Yeh, you big show off you. Tell us about all those "high quality" women you've pulled ;)
    Obviously. Feels good to know high-calibre people who wouldn't talk to anyone want to associate with you, feels good to stroll into exclusive venues most of the population would be denied access to, etc.

Sounds like a big facade to hide your sad and lonely feelings.
    Will you describe your relationship with them to me? I mean, do you actually know any of them well at all? Could you call them up at 2am in an emergency? Could you have a night in with them watching rubbish films and eating too many crisps?

From reading all your posts, I'd much rather be me and I'm glad that I am. So ... thanks?
This discussion has been closed.