Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Really need help.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not quite sure how to start this so I'll get straight into it:

Basically, I've been suffering depression and anxiety for years now. School was just horrible and I always thought that life would be different after I left but it was the same. Over the years (I'm 22) the depression got worse I even started to have suicidal thoughts. In October last year I finally went to my GP and tried to get some help. He prescribed me some anti-depressants and gave me a referral for the local councillor. Things were starting to look up.

However, a few days after I started taking the anti-depressants I made the mistake of telling my parents. Basically, they put me under a lot of pressure to stop taking the anti-depressants. Every day my mum would tell me how they would give me schizophrenia and how I would be dependant on them for the rest of my life. After a week I gave in and stopped taking them but I had my first appointment with the councillor that week and I thought that it might be enough. For the first two months it did help. I told her all the stuff that happened to me in school and it felt good to get it off my chest but other than listening to me she didn't really provide any real help. I was still unhappy and nervous in public.

The last time I saw her I asked her about anti-depressants and whether they would help. She gave me a little multiple question test and after I finished she looked over it and asked me "Are you depressed?" I said "Yes." Then she asked me if I was suicidal and I told her the truth and she recommended that I should see a psychiatrist as he will be able to give me "More help". I agreed and she's said she'll get me an appointment.

A few days after I saw her I got a letter from my Doctor saying that the councillor was worried about me and that he has reffered me to the psychiatrist.

The thing is, that was four weeks ago. And I don't know what to do now. I'm starting to get quite frustrated and even a little desperate. I don't want to see my GP again because it was so hard to do in the first place and I don't want to speak to my parents because they seem to think I can just snap out of it. In a way I feel like I'm right back at the beginning.

I've found my anti-depressants that I was prescribed in the first place but I'm not sure whether I should start taking them again or not. They're 20mg Fluoxentine capsules. I would've liked to of seen the psychiatrist first but I'm not sure whats happened there, surely it shouldn't take this long?

Sorry to rant but I really don't know what to do...

Comments

• Options
    Hiya
    First of all, welcome to TheSite's boards and well done for posting in such detail about what's going on. I'm sure there will be many people here who can help with personal stories of how they've got through similar situations, but I thought I'd offer you some extra links and resources that you might want to check out in the meantime.

Taking antidepressants is quite a case-by-case thing and it's often hard to tell if they are the best solution until you have been on them for a while. What I would say is that you have to be happy with the decision if you are going to take them. It's often the case that friends and family feel unsure about antidepressants - but their concern is probably just because they care about you and are worried about your wellbeing.

Have you tried to really explain to them how you're feeling? I know it's hard to get things out sometimes, but maybe you could write it out or even print off this thread to show them?

If you really can't talk to them and you don't feel able to open up to someone you know, you could try calling a helpline. There are a few good ones that you can call completely confidentially who will listen without judging you. I'll paste some details at the end.

It's really positive that you've been to your GP and started to get help with this, but bear in mind that no one has a magic wand and getting better will take lots of hard work and perseverence on your part. Try and stick with it and go to all the appointments etc.

In the meantime, stick around here - try wandering over to this thread where you'll find lots of people who can identify with what you're going through.

Take care - and here are those links for you:

Samaritans
    Confidential help for anyone who is experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide.
    Web: www.samaritans.org.uk
    Tel: 08457 909090
    Email: jo@samaritans.org

Saneline
    Offers practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems.
    Web: www.sane.org.uk
    Tel: 0845 767 8000

Depression Alliance Charity offering information and self-help groups.
    Web: www.depressionalliance.org
    Tel: 0845 123 23 20

SupportLine
    Confidential and emotional support on the telephone for children, young adults and adults who are socially isolated, vulnerable, at risk and victims of any form of abuse.
    Web: www.supportline.org.uk
    Tel: 020 8554 9004
  • Options
    Firstly yes it takes that long. An appointment with my psychiatrist took 4 months, but that can depend on how much they think you need it and which area you live in.

I think you should have stuck with the tablets. 20mg fluoxetine in very popular. Also they take 4-6weeks to take effect and stopping them can cause side-effects. They wont cause you to develope schitzophrenia and you wont be dependent on them. You'll need them of course, theyre altering chemicals in your brain and so tapering off them slowly is important, but they arent addictive like heroin, for example, is.

Out of experience, dont set your heart on a psychiatrist working miracles for you. Ive found my gp to be the best source of support.

Some people dont like to accept help from others. Some people are brought up to beleive you can 'snap out of it' and that anti-depressants are evil. Thats fair enough. But if you dont agree then at 22 years of age, you dont have to answer to anybody. im 22 also and i dont discuss my treatment with my mum even though i know she'd be fine about it.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

And for sheer irony I got a letter from the psychiatrist this morning. Gotta phone up and get an appointment. At least now I'll have an exact date.
  • Options
    Lifeless

Just to say hi and let you know I think you're very brave for posting. It sounds like you're going through a particularly tough time. I'm so glad you finally got your letter and may now be able to make your appointment.

As Sikorah stated, meds will not give you schizophrenia and many many people have found them to be very helpful, but they do take a while to kick in properly. My boyfriend takes 60mg of Prozac (fluoxetine) every day - and he experienced fairly mild side effects for 6 weeks, before he settled down and now he feels so much more able to cope with life and is much more positive.

Please look after yourself, take care, keep posting if you need to - there are some lovely folks on this site.

Love from cavegirl
    xx