Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Where can we post?

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It isn't about any of that, it's about the fact posters are now too fucking scared to post.

I'm done with this. I'm too fucking annoyed now.

Well, that's just silly. It's the same as me starting a really techy thread about my computer in the food forum - it just doesn't belong there so people will pull you up. Tiptoeing around things like depression and self harm doesn't help matters and just because you are depressed isn't an excuse for poor manners.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think quite honestly everyone NEEDS to take a step back and think about what this site is about! its somewhere where people come for help! And arguing like this is going to put people off posting and people on here being able to offer advice and help inturn
    I agree that there are certain places for certain threads and if you can't handle or don't want to see something to distress you stay out of those section or having the common sense not to open posts that are obviously about those topics!
    Please guys, just calm down
  • Options
    Megan left because of it, because she felt you all hated her for what she posted. She's on the verge of suicide at the moment, and all she has is me. And what use am I?

sometimes people who are down can also be a bit paranoid and think the whole world is against them. If she wants to post and get support then H&WB is the place to be.
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    I think quite honestly everyone NEEDS to take a step back and think about what this site is about! its somewhere where people come for help! And arguing like this is going to put people off posting and people on here being able to offer advice and help inturn
    I agree that there are certain places for certain threads and if you can't handle or don't want to see something to distress you stay out of those section or having the common sense not to open posts that are obviously about those topics!

:yes:

However:
    if you can't handle or don't want to see something to distress you stay out of those section or having the common sense not to open posts that are obviously about those topics!

I think the issue is more that people are posting triggering stuff in the ranty thread and not things like "I burnt my dinner".
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    "I burnt my dinner".

When did the rule come in that only stupid things could be posted in the ranty thread?
  • Options
    Just looked at the rant thread, and on the second page is the first post about depression. It's now page 223. Why was nothing said before?
  • Options
    When did the rule come in that only stupid things could be posted in the ranty thread?
    When people were getting triggered by content which belongs in another part of the forum.

Would you want to go into a thread entitled "things that have kind of bugged me today" and see someone say, "I cut myself really badly, [detail]"? No. You wouldn't. Which is why my thread in H&WB, the D&SH thread, and the whole H&WB forum are there. For people to post triggering content and things which other users may be uncomfortable reading in a place where they can choose whether they want to read it or not.
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »

:yes:

B-A, if your friend posts in the appropriate section she wont get yelled at, pushed away or anything like that. Those who are prone to triggering content will know to keep away so it wont impact them and she will get help in there.

Tbh i stay out of the H&WB thread most of the time cos i dont know what im talking about and people talking about self harm/depression doesnt affect me like it does others but i think its a good idea we have seperate threads now. Especially when i wanna moan about something trivial like 'my car wont start and i have to get the bus boo hoo' and then feel guilty for being selfish as other people have bigger problems.

Long story short: Post away all you like, thats what that particular forum is for!
  • Options

The whole point of the ranty thread in the first place was for people to have a chance to bitch and moan about anything that bothered them. Maybe on that day having a burnt dinner was like the end of the world.

Anything Goes is meant to be a fun forum and people go in expecting fun, and come out with all sorts of problems brought to the surface because of triggering content they werent warned about, hence, the new SH thread is started for that triggering content to go into, leaving the original ranty thread a bit more lighthearted and safer. I really dont see what the problem is?
  • Options
    Would you want to go into a thread entitled "things that have kind of bugged me today" and see someone say, "I cut myself really badly, [detail]"? No.

It doesn't bother me at all, normally I don't want to post about the self harm, just about the fact I'm annoyed I've done it. That's a rant.
  • Options
    It doesn't bother me at all, normally I don't want to post about the self harm, just about the fact I'm annoyed I've done it. That's a rant.

yes but when you saw the pink video you were upset because you saw something you weren't expecting, and it's exactly the same - if you want to rant that you've cut yourself then anything goes isn't the place to do it, as if someone is really on the edge then that's not what they need to see.
  • Options

that is ur personal interpretation of what a rant is. Other people have different ideas, and this is where lines get blurry. in the last six years ive been posting AG has always (usually) been light hearted stuff.
  • Options
    It doesn't bother *you*. But it DOES bother other people.

Some people don't want to read about it, and that's fair enough because it's not exactly the most comforting of subjects and it's not pleasant reading even when you don't mind seeing it.

There is a thread for posting your SH, mental health and other triggery, unpleasant subjects related rants now. That is its specific purpose. That's where those posts go now. Continuing to post those things in a thread where people have stated it makes them uncomfortable seeing it is rude, inconsiderate and kind of selfish.
  • Options
    rude, inconsiderate and kind of selfish.

But that's what I think the people are who have pushed users away from the boards. And there are quite a few who've left because they've felt discriminated against... Megan, AHL, Bio-Haz to name a few.
  • Options
    Really, why does this have to turn into some sort of fight?

It's a forum not a school yard, we all have to enjoy posting here. Some people find it difficult to read some threads because of the content and a suggested solution has been put forward. It's pretty easy to understand and not that difficult to stick to. Everyone can post the topics they want to, no one is excluded.

So really, what is the problem here? Sheesh.
  • Options

It's a forum not a school yard, we all have to enjoy posting here. Some people find it difficult to read some threads because of the content and a suggested solution has been put forward. It's pretty easy to understand and not that difficult to stick to. Everyone can post the topics they want to, no one is excluded.

sorry sir ;)
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    This rant a typical site.org rant, arguments arguments all over the place, no wonder some people are scared of some of use or you've made them feel uncomfortable, you lot teach people what reality is! HA!
    This is the most meanest site I have ever seen, yet I love it! :lol:
  • Options
    This rant a typical site.org rant, arguments arguments all over the place, no wonder some people are scared of some of use or you've made them feel uncomfortable, you lot teach people what reality is! HA!

I've come across much worse than this. The Site is tame compared to some I've been on.
  • Options
    We aren't mean, we just don't pussyfoot around people because we all know that that's not the way to go about it.

It is selfish to post things which may be detrimental to the mental wellbeing of other users in places where they are not expecting to see it and have not been warned about it. It is not selfish to expect the users of this site to bear that in mind and keep their posts to the appropriate areas, particularly when a thread has been created for the express purpose of giving those who were making such posts in the ranty thread a place to go and express themselves without consequence.

EUGH.
  • Options
    It is selfish to post things which may be detrimental to the mental wellbeing of other users in places where they are not expecting to see it and have not been warned about it.

I don't understand why it's suddenly selfish when it's been going on for over 200 pages?
  • Options
    We aren't mean, we just don't pussyfoot around people because we all know that that's not the way to go about it.

It is selfish to post things which may be detrimental to the mental wellbeing of other users in places where they are not expecting to see it and have not been warned about it. It is not selfish to expect the users of this site to bear that in mind and keep their posts to the appropriate areas, particularly when a thread has been created for the express purpose of giving those who were making such posts in the ranty thread a place to go and express themselves without consequence.

EUGH.

:thumb:
  • Options

This.

I have no idea what the problems are here. You know the score, you know where various threads should lie, you know what topics go where so ffs follow through on that instead of acting like 7 year olds.

Urgh, being pulled up on not being a courteous poster is not being mean. It's stating facts. And just because you are depressed or what not doesn't mean you have rights to post whatever the hell you want wherever the hell you want to.
  • Options
    Can someone answer my question?
  • Options
    Why has this only just become an issue?
  • Options

i think we have.

Original rules have been restablished now lets all stick to them.
  • Options
    I don't understand why it's suddenly selfish when it's been going on for over 200 pages?

This question. I want an explanation.
  • Options
    So where can we post? Or are there any other forums we can use?

You post the relevant information in the relevant forums. For example, you post crappy 'omgz i burnt my tea' in the ranty thread and you post 'urgh, i want to do xyz to myself' or whatever in the hugs thread. Or do what franki did and start your own thread that you can add to whenever you feel the need to.

It's fairly simple.

As for other forums, there probably are out there but the only forums I use are this one, one local to where I live and a knitting one. None of which are really what you are looking for.
  • Options

I think you'll find that it has always been an issue but it just took a while for someone to comment.

I'm not sure that the timing matters though TBH do you? It's about being part of a community, which is what this place is. Is it really such a big issue to be neighbourly?
  • Options
    This question. I want an explanation.

Because it's most likely been building up and bothering people for a while but someones only just had to guts to say something. Doesn't mean it hasn't been an issue for people because no one said anything.
  • Options
    Or are there any other forums we can use?

National Self Harm Network (www.nshn.co.uk)

I think in one of the articles on The Site, does have a list of useful forms (or at least websites) for self harm / depression.
This discussion has been closed.