Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Where can we post?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right well basically me and a few others on here are now too afraid to post about self harm in fear of angering/triggering/annoying someone.
It's getting a bit ridiculous now. For some of us, this was the only place we had, and now we are too scared to ask for help.

So where can we post? Or are there any other forums we can use?

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The way I understood it, this should be fine: http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=146650
    (Or a new thread of course)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's a whole section called Health & Wellbeing. There are threads you can add to, or you can start your own.
    But most of us are too scared to. We dont want to piss everyone off.
    I didn't see anyone complaining about that region, only about the "ranty" thread.
    But most of us are too scared to. We dont want to piss everyone off.

People have been pulled up for posting about it all over the show when there's a section specifically for that kind of thing. No one's gonna give you shit for posting about self-harm and depression in H&W.
    I didn't see anyone complaining about that region, only about the "ranty" thread.

And the Food & Drink thread. And the Creative thread. And the Entertainment thread...
    Eurgh, tbh I can't be bothered with it, I've stopped posting about it anyway. I mainly posted this thread for a friend, who as I said, is to scared to post.
    Eurgh, tbh I can't be bothered with it, I've stopped posting about it anyway. I mainly posted this thread for a friend, who as I said, is to scared to post.

Well that's your shout. But there is an area which specifically caters for that kind of thing.
    There's no reason for your friend to be scared to post about this subject in that thread or in one of his/her own. Others should be scared to complain about it if he/she does.
    She just doesn't want to upset or trigger people. And since everyone has now decided every tiny thing is triggering, she doesn't know what to do.
    Then she's overreacting. I saw an entire conversation about how some people shouldn't complain when they get triggered because anything could be triggering. This is about things that you know to be triggering, and anyone who reads threads like the one mentioned should be prepared for it.
    SIGH.

The whole point of the thread that I made was so that people could use that one to post triggering content that they would have put in the ranty thread.

There is nothing stopping anybody from posting triggering content in the relevant areas (H&WB).

What people take issue with is people posting triggering content in areas where it is not expected, which makes it MORE triggering because they can't say, 'ok, I might get triggered if I go into that thread' and then they can choose whether to read it or not.
    I just think the attitudes of some people here recently have been disgraceful. And, I don't think she is over reacting at all... it's not just her, I've known a few people leave because of similar issues.
    I just think people really need to consider before they go round saying "OMG STOP BEING SO TRIGGERING" because that in it's self hurts people. If you know you find a certain thread/user in a thread triggering, either block the user or don't read the thread.
    It's just annoying me now.
    Not posting things at all because you've been told to post them in a specific region isn't overreacting?
    Not posting things at all because you've been told to post them in a specific region isn't overreacting?

She doesn't want to trigger people! Thats the whole bloody point.
    I'm getting annoyed now, so I'm off. :wave:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    She doesn't want to trigger people! Thats the whole bloody point.
    I'm getting annoyed now, so I'm off. :wave:

Tryingtobestrong has recently posted a thread about self-harm in the Health and Wellbeing section and there are supportive replies - maybe show that to your friend to give her encouragement to reassure her that threads about self-harm are as welcome as they always have been. To be fair, this has never, ever been under questioning in any recent discussions on the matter.

I would suggest that if there's self-harm written in a title of a thread then really there's no need for a *triggering* label - as goes for any thread on any topic to be honest. If the title indicates the content then anyone can choose to read it or not. This is as much true about a thread relating to a relationship break-up as it is about one relating to self-harm. For instance, someone who's just about to break up may decide that they don't want to read someone else's thread about it as it is upsetting to them. But then someone else in the same situation may find comfort in reading it because it reminds them they're not the only person going through it. Does that make sense? Ultimately everyone needs to make their own choice about that. :)
    i do think this is getting a bit silly really. H&WB has always been the place for SH stuff, why is it suddenly confusing?

Noone wants anyone to feel that they can't post, and the more you use the boards the more you get to know who might be having a bit of a shit time and might want to talk about it. If I see new threads started by certain people in H&WB and i' m feeling sensitive i don't read them at that time, much the same as i dont go into the self harm unstickied sticky or the hug thread. Keep the SH stuff in the H&WB forum and we all know where we stand. I really think i'm missing something here but the last thing we need is people thinking they can't talk about sh.
    B-A, I think you are overreacting.

The point is that some things are going to be triggering to some people. Those people don't want to go into a thread that is primarily supposed to be about small annoyances and find unexpected triggering content with no warning. Remember how you felt about that Pink video - it's exactly the same concept.

There is now a thread for people to post those kinds of posts, but where the people going into it are aware ofthe potentially triggering nature of the posts and can make the choice about whether to read or not.
    And the Food & Drink thread. And the Creative thread. And the Entertainment thread...

The point of H&WB is generally to ask for advise or rant. People use the creativity forum, to be, er, creative. Not seen the stuff in entertainment; so have no idea what you're talking about. I know what you mean about the food and drink forum - I know a few threads have been moved because they're people asking / ranting about stuff relating to eating disorders. And not things like "how do I make...?" Which from what I understand, was the original purpose of the forum.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I don't think she's over reacting, I think she does make a fair point. I have to agree with her on most of her points that she has mentioned x
    *I'll keep out* x

by making this post, you are not keeping out.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I thought this had been done to death?! The hugz thread that franki posted was for all the self harm / depression-y things that aren't appropriate for a light hearted ranty thread. Hence the reason that thread is in health and wellbeing and the ranty thread is in anything goes.

Self harm and depression topics should be confined to h&wb, IMHO. Not anywhere else. Because they are health and wellbeing topics. Simple as. If we just mix and match wherever the hell we want then we may as well not bother with separate forums.

In the ranty thread I expect to see 'omgz my fish pie was all burnt and tasted like peanut butter' not 'omgz i have done teh stupid things and have no more will to live'. These things go in H&WB.

Tbh, I don't know why we are still having this discussion. It seems to me that some posters just don't seem to follow common etiquette.
    I thought this had been done to death?! The hugz thread that franki posted was for all the self harm / depression-y things that aren't appropriate for a light hearted ranty thread. Hence the reason that thread is in health and wellbeing and the ranty thread is in anything goes.

Self harm and depression topics should be confined to h&wb, IMHO. Not anywhere else. Because they are health and wellbeing topics. Simple as. If we just mix and match wherever the hell we want then we may as well not bother with separate forums.

In the ranty thread I expect to see 'omgz my fish pie was all burnt and tasted like peanut butter' not 'omgz i have done teh stupid things and have no more will to live'. These things go in H&WB.

Tbh, I don't know why we are still having this discussion. It seems to me that some posters just don't seem to follow common etiquette.

i love you.

It's probably not helped by a few posters moaning and basically saying there are things that have been posted that are inappropriate and has said that the mods haven't done anything - exactly, what do people expect mods to do? Yet, no-one has said what is and isn't appropriate.
    omg hi wrote: »
    i love you.
    +1

Nobody is going to tiptoe around you when you make a post that is inappropriate for the topic/forum when there is provision made for that post. It's very sad that your friend doesn't want to post anymore, B-A, but that is the nature of depression and SH, that people are going to be triggered by your posts sometimes so etiquette dictates that you post it in an appropriate thread or forum. It's just how it is.

If she's worried that she's triggering people, then it doesn't matter where she puts the post, but if she's worried about unnecessarily triggering people then there are two threads and a 'New Topic' button as options in H&WB for her.
    It isn't about any of that, it's about the fact posters are now too fucking scared to post.

I'm done with this. I'm too fucking annoyed now.
    Why are they scared? What of? Of triggering people and people getting annoyed by it? Then post in the appropriate forum. It's that simple, seriously.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Melian wrote: »
    It's probably not helped by a few posters moaning and basically saying there are things that have been posted that are inappropriate and has said that the mods haven't done anything - exactly, what do people expect mods to do? Yet, no-one has said what is and isn't appropriate.

The few posters who are moaning are rather justified IMHO, particularly as the discussion we had less than a few weeks ago involved the same people so the fact that they are ignoring the masses is just poor manners. And I really detest poor manners.

Without meaning to pick on people but posts like these don't belong in the ranty thread. IMHO.

Common courtesy seems to have vanished from this world.
    Megan left because of it, because she felt you all hated her for what she posted. She's on the verge of suicide at the moment, and all she has is me. And what use am I?
    p=2392644&postcount=3322"]like[/URL]

Eurgghh, that had nothing to do with self harm?
This discussion has been closed.