Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Davis: Multiculturalism is outdated.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Klintock if somebody asks you for directions what do you do?

Tell them where to go. :thumb:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    klintock wrote:
    Tell them where to go. :thumb:

Seriously what do you do?

And what language are you speaking?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yes, you can sense nitrogen. the only way we know it;'s there is because someone did an experiment which we can sense to prove it's existence.

Otherwise, how would we know?

But you said that something which can not be sensed by the 5 senses can not exist, I can not sense nitrogen with my five senses and nor can you, therefore it does not exist.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    The words on the screen can be sensed though.

So why can't lines on paper outlining borders be sensed?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    So they died out with their origniators then, if they ever existed at all?
    No. The countries that were created remain, practically in all cases, and you and me are citizens of them.

Please take your own advice. I suggest "The Isles" but I can't for the life of me remember who wrote it. Says pretty much what I am saying.
    I think a simple encyclopaedias would do the trick with you. You can even do it online.

Look, you think there are countries because some "leaders" made them up. the fact that they are "leaders" is also an opinion. i really don't want to get into the whole legitimacy argument because that's another misnomer where you will confuse fact and opinion.
    And as I said to you many pages ago (when incidentally you could have ended this sorry saga without having to admit any kind of defeat, which seems to be the only thing that keeps you going), I completely sympathise with your contempt towards the system. I sympathise if you don't recognise the legality or authority of countries- just as I don't recognise the legality or authority of drug laws. But I know that drug laws exist, nonetheless.

Do you believe drug laws don't exist either?

No king in history ever said he was a representative of the people. They were usually the biggest murdering bastard around and hence their "power" in any event you can only represent someone if they give their assent. So I await your proof that people ever assented, ever.
    They didn't revolt and remove him did they?

What? I said name something you that exists that you cannot sense in some way. You said love. You also said (a hatful of times) that you feel love. Last time i checke dfeeling was one of the five senses. Sort yourself out.
    *Yawn*

Wrong. That kind of feeling does not come from any of the five senses.

You do really have some kind of sensory problem- or at least a deep confusion of what feelings and senses are- don't you?

I am saying that you can never add to or subtract from the total amount of stuff in the universe. What are you on about?
    No, you said that man cannot create things. Another round of backpedalling, I see...

And when i get there (nice jesus freakery touch, btw) how will I know that there is a border? Will there be a blue forcefield? Will I get that mysterious feeling you keep harping on about but never give details of?
    Er... no. You will know because your pedometer will say '12 miles', which is the international border of Australia.

How many more times will we have to go through with this until the message gets through klintock?
  • Options
    But you said that something which can not be sensed by the 5 senses can not exist, I can not sense nitrogen with my five senses and nor can you, therefore it does not exist.

No, it can be sensed, you do the original experiment (whatever it was) and voia - you can sense nitrogen. Ordinarily of course you cannot.
    So why can't lines on paper outlining borders be sensed?

Of course they can be sensed. I just don't see why that has to mean anything. A small child could redraw all the boundaries in this geographical region and it would be exactly the same as anyone else doing it.

Also - maps aren't territories. they share common features so they can be useful, but they are not the thing itself. you can draw a hill on a map, do contour ines etc, and when you get to the hill it will be a useful guide to the hill.

Add a political border and when you get there you will see nothing, because it's only in the heads of the map drawer and whoever he has convinced.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Add a political border and when you get there you will see nothing, because it's only in the heads of the map drawer and whoever he has convinced.

You really haven't crossed many borders have you, there are quite often fences, gates, guards...etc.
  • Options
    If we didn't put names to places it would become very awkward don't you think Kilntock.

How would you talk about Italian food without the word 'Italian' or direct somebody when they're lost without using place names?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    No. The countries that were created remain, practically in all cases, and you and me are citizens of them.

I am not a citizen of anywhere, you might be though.
    And as I said to you many pages ago (when incidentally you could have ended this sorry saga without having to admit any kind of defeat, which seems to be the only thing that keeps you going), I completely sympathise with your contempt towards the system. I sympathise if you don't recognise the legality or authority of countries- just as I don't recognise the legality or authority of drug laws. But I know that drug laws exist, nonetheless.

I don't have any contempt for the "system" I feel sorry for those who have been conned into thinking that it's there though. Do i think that there are drug laws? Of course not. There are bits of paper with scribble on them that say "do this" and "don't do this" but so what? How does paper know anything?
    They didn't revolt and remove him did they?

So you are saying that abscence of refusal is assent. Excellent, I now name this entire region "klintockland" you have 24 hours to vacate or to refuse my kind offer. you need to find me in person and offer the refusal in swahili, btw.
    Wrong. That kind of feeling does not come from any of the five senses.

What? It's a feeling and not one of the five senses? WTF?
    No, you said that man cannot create things. Another round of backpedalling, I see...

man can't. he can just reshape what's there. Totally 100% consistent and also true. you are wrong here, admit it and we'll lump it in with all the other stuff you have got wrong and no worries.
    Er... no. You will know because your pedometer will say '12 miles', which is the international border of Australia.

Self proving gibberish. The borders at 12 miles out, so when you are 12 miles out you are at the border. makes no sense to me at all. I asked for what would be different about the real world? Nothing, that's what.
    How many more times will we have to go through with this until the message gets through klintock?

A few more ithink, i am still operating under the delusion that you will wake up and see sense.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What? It's a feeling and not one of the five senses? WTF?.

Which of the 5 senses do you perceive love through then Klintock?
  • Options
    You really haven't crossed many borders have you, there are quite often fences, gates, guards...etc.

yes, dozens.

Those are the people that have been convinced. only proves that some people have that belief, not that the belief is real. Or is the existence of churches proof of god?
    If we didn't put names to places it would become very awkward don't you think Kilntock.

Yes, it would. But I am not saying that it's a bad thing when you are doing it and now that it's just because it's useful and that it's all arbitary, it's when you think that it's truth that the problems start, same as any other fundie belief.
    How would you talk about Italian food without the word 'Italian' or direct somebody when they're lost without using place names?

i have no problem with using place names etc, they are a useful way of dividing the world up so you can navigate in it. They aren't true, or facts though, just one way of looking at things.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

So Klintock?
  • Options
    So Klintock?

I feel it. How do you do it?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I feel it. How do you do it?

With which of the 5 senses?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

With out wanting to seem to take side heres. :razz:

Love is enitrely subjective.

Love doesn't have X, Y and Z qualities.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I am not a citizen of anywhere, you might be though.
    I can live with that- at least now you're giving me and presumably others the chance of being citizens, as opposed to earlier when you said such thing didn't exist ;)

Out of curiosity, do you travel abroad and own a passport because you have no other choice, or do you refuse to travel on principle for as long as the present system of countries, borders and citizenships remains in place?

I don't have any contempt for the "system" I feel sorry for those who have been conned into thinking that it's there though. Do i think that there are drug laws? Of course not. There are bits of paper with scribble on them that say "do this" and "don't do this" but so what? How does paper know anything?
    I thought you'd say as much...

So you are saying that absence of refusal is assent. Excellent, I now name this entire region "klintockland" you have 24 hours to vacate or to refuse my kind offer. you need to find me in person and offer the refusal in swahili, btw.
    Doesn't quite work like that.

But then, you know that already.

You can only play the devil advocate for so long klintock...

What? It's a feeling and not one of the five senses? WTF?
    Yes. Are you also denying this?

So do you feel love with one of your five senses? Or do you perhaps believe love doesn't exist?

How about happiness? Can you 'see it'?

Christ... :rolleyes:

man can't. he can just reshape what's there. Totally 100% consistent and also true. you are wrong here, admit it and we'll lump it in with all the other stuff you have got wrong and no worries.
    I wasn't aware I had anything wrong. Care to point me out towards it?

Incidentally, aluminium-composed, fossil fuel-powered flying machines created by chance/nature = zero. Ever.

Therefore man has indeed created airplanes, as well as millions of other things incidentally.

Keep digging mate.

Self proving gibberish. The borders at 12 miles out, so when you are 12 miles out you are at the border. makes no sense to me at all.
    Yeah, that is part of the ongoing problem I suspect...
    I asked for what would be different about the real world? Nothing, that's what.
    In your real world, perhaps.

A few more ithink, i am still operating under the delusion that you will wake up and see sense.
    Pity the rest of the world isn't reading this read, you could even make the entire population of planet earth see sense and enter your real world at one stroke.
  • Options
    With which of the 5 senses?

It's a body sensation.
    I can live with that- at least now you're giving me and presumably others the chance of being citizens, as opposed to earlier when you said such thing didn't exist :)

Well, i don't know if you are actually getting your end of the deal from the government or not, do I? :)
    Out of curiosity, do you travel abroad and own a passport because you have no other choice, or do you refuse to travel on principle for as long as the present system of countries, borders and citizenships remains in place?

Neither.
    Yes. Are also denying this?

See answer to bong.
    Incidentally, aluminium-composed, fossil fuel-powered flying machines created by chance/nature = zero. Ever.

Well, aside from the fact that humans are part of nature. people took raw materials and changed their nature into more useful forms. At no point was any new material created, or destroyed. it was transformed. Creation = not possible.
    Pity the rest of the world isn't reading this read, you could even make the entire population of planet earth see sense and enter your real world at one stroke.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    It's a body sensation.:

So you feel love purely through touch?
  • Options

Touch isn't the sense, feeling is. Or do you "touch" heat?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

Again, love is purely a blanket term for the affection that we feel for other people. What i translate as love is purely the way i personally experience the endearing visual, audible etc stimulations of another person. It's not quanitifiable.
  • Options
    Again, love is purely a blanket term for the affection that we feel for other people. What i translate as love is purely the way i personally experience the endearing visual, audible etc stimulations of another person. It's not quanitifiable.

Thats certainly how I see it, yet Klintock believes that if you can not sense something through your 5 senses it can not exists. His arguement being that given we can not sense the country it can not exist.

I am suggesting that given that something like love can exist and not be 'sensed' in the strict sense of the word then therefore his arguement is balls.
  • Options
    I am suggesting that given that something like love can exist and not be 'sensed' in the strict sense of the word then therefore his arguement is balls.

Unfortunately love can be sensed and quantified.

Anything else?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Touch isn't the sense, feeling is. Or do you "touch" heat?

So you feel love on your skin?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Unfortunately love can be sensed and quantified.

Anything else?

Love can be sensed but it cant be quantified, you cant have a set amount of love, you cant have a metre cubed of love.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Love can be sensed but it cant be quantified, you cant have a set amount of love, you cant have a metre cubed of love.

Also, you couldn't state what love is.
  • Options
    So you feel love on your skin?

Nope, but that's not the only place you have nerve endings. Your gut is littered with them, for instance, as any curry lover will tell you.

Nope, if you are specific enough you can.
    Also you couldn't state what love is.

It will vary from person to person but it would need pages of explanation to sort out.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    It's a body sensation.
    No it's not. It's a mind sensation.

Neither.
    You should travel abroad. It's nice. :)

See answer to bong.
    I'm not sure which one you're referring to, but love (or happiness, or anger, or pessimism or dozens and dozens of other such feelings) can't either be sensed with any of the five senses, or be quantified or measured in any way whatsoever. I really hope that you're not suggesting for one moment otherwise.

Well, aside from the fact that humans are part of nature. people took raw materials and changed their nature into more useful forms. At no point was any new material created, or destroyed. it was transformed. Creation = not possible.
    Objects can be created. Abstract concepts can be created. Countries can be created. And I'm not chemistry expert but I very much suspect that by mixing some materials completely new ones can be, and I believe have been created.

You appear to have a very bizarre concept of what is or isn't, what exist or doesn't, what can be created or can't. I can see that the problem (for, I'm afraid to say, a problem it appears to be) it's much much deeper than a simple refusal to recognise countries.
  • Options
    I cannot understand why people haven't put klintock on ignore yet.

I did ages ago and things are better now I assure you...........
  • Options
    No it's not. It's a mind sensation.

Poppycock. You fall in love and there are no measurable changes in your physiology? Nothing to feel? Check your pulse - see if you have one.
    You should travel abroad. It's nice. :)

I have been to loads of places. I think you must have misunderstood me. you gave me two options and my answer was - neither.
    I'm not sure which one you're referring to, but love (or happiness, or anger, or pessimism or dozens and dozens of other such feelings) can't either be sensed with any of the five senses, or be quantified or measured in any way whatsoever. I really hope that you're not suggesting for one moment otherwise.

Yes, they can and I am.
    Objects can be created. Abstract concepts can be created. Countries can be created. And I'm not chemistry expert but I very much suspect that by mixing some materials completely new ones can be, and I believe have been created.

Nope. first law of thermodynamcs again you see. Now the universe is here, you cannot add to it or take anything away, only change things forms. If you wish to label that "creation" then fine, but you need a dictionary.
    You appear to have a very bizarre concept of what is or isn't, what exist or doesn't, what can be created or can't. I can see that the problem (for, I'm afraid to say, a problem it appears to be) it's much much deeper than a simple refusal to recognise countries.

Really? I only see what I can actually see, hear what I can actually hear. I don't add things that aren't there, I don't delete things that are. What's wrong with that? I have no problems beyond the mundane practical difficulties of living, what are you talking about?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Poppycock. You fall in love and there are no measurable changes in your physiology? Nothing to feel? Check your pulse - see if you have one.
    There might, there might not be. And even when they are, they're not present all the time.

Love CANNOT be measured in any way, nor cannot be felt with your five senses.

I have been to loads of places. I think you must have misunderstood me. you gave me two options and my answer was - neither.
    To the places people know as other countries, no, you have not been without a passport or at least an ID card within the EU.

Yes, they can and I am.
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.... Well well well, suddenly you are claiming a positive not a negative. Now I am the one claiming such feelings cannot be measured, and you claim they can.

Well... off you go. Where's your evidence to support such claim?

Nope. first law of thermodynamcs again you see. Now the universe is here, you cannot add to it or take anything away, only change things forms. If you wish to label that "creation" then fine, but you need a dictionary.
    What 'form' exactly was an airplane made of thousands of moving parts and many different materials before it was "changed" into its present form?

Men can and has created endless amount of things. And no irrelevant-to-the case theory or "law" is going to change that I'm afraid. I suggest you yourself reach for the dictionary and double check a few terms, because you sure as hell are getting all mixed up and confused about a number of things.

Really? I only see what I can actually see, hear what I can actually hear. I don't add things that aren't there, I don't delete things that are. What's wrong with that? I have no problems beyond the mundane practical difficulties of living, what are you talking about?
    I'm saying that you appear to judge whether something exists or not solely based on your own feelings and perceptions. As if you were the ultimate decider of what exists or doesn't.

If you were blind I guess you would argue that the planets and the stars don't exist, since you cannot see them.