Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

am i autistic?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i dont know what you mean by the truths of life
  • Options
    i dont know what you mean by the truths of life

the truths of life that everybody already knows.
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    the truths of life that everybody already knows.

Give an example, when you say 'truths of life' all I can think of is 'when a mummy loves a daddy very much...'
  • Options
    the truths of life that everybody abides by.

like "nobody has to like and respct you", or "nothing is certain".
  • Options

People don't just know them automatically, they're repeated like mantras to us throughout childhood, and then in a more subtle and complex format as adults.
  • Options
    I want a diagnosis since i don't understand the complexity of life. everybody else does by default.

We do?:confused:
  • Options
    Politics junkie or not, im confused how the styles of writing differ so much in this thread, its confusing.
  • Options
    There's not much that people know by default, especially not social skills.
  • Options

not everybody thinks those things
  • Options

Exactly! Just because we get told to do those things, it doesn't mean everyone will / does
  • Options

yes they do. who expects everybody to think highly of them? i don't think mature people think that. Part of being a normal confident person is accepting that you are you, and others thoughts are there own. who thinks that people can be totally certain of anything?

To be totally certain of anything means one is omniscient. no human being is.

One common saying i don't agree with is that you get out what you put in. I think more often than not, life is about luck. Things just come to people by default.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    There's not much that people know by default, especially not social skills.

how so?
  • Options
    Oh, this thread just goes round and round in circles. *signing off*
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    We do?:confused:

Yes, people do.
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    Oh, this thread just goes round and round in circles. *signing off*
    This!
  • Options
    Well, maybe this thread should end. There still is no reason why i can't have the common wisdom of man.

This is a truth of life.
  • Options
    Why do I get the impression that you're blaming others for your problems?
  • Options
    I am taking responsibility. I want the normal wisdom of life, like what you said just now. i want to know how to get it.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    People don't just know them automatically, they're repeated like mantras to us throughout childhood, and then in a more subtle and complex format as adults.

I think differently. I think these are rooted in the human brain.
  • Options
    Give an example, when you say 'truths of life' all I can think of is 'when a mummy loves a daddy very much...'

What is that in bold?
  • Options
    What is that in bold?

I don't know, I didn't put it in bold.

To summarise what everyone else is saying: people don't 'just know' these things automatically, you don't, and neither does anyone else. Lots of people don't abide by these 'truths of life' either. This does not make you autistic. However, if you feel a diagnosis could be of use to you, go to your GP. I've said everything I have to say, and I think everyone else is at a loss now too.
  • Options
    I don't know, I didn't put it in bold.

To summarise what everyone else is saying: people don't 'just know' these things automatically, you don't, and neither does anyone else. Lots of people don't abide by these 'truths of life' either. This does not make you autistic. However, if you feel a diagnosis could be of use to you, go to your GP. I've said everything I have to say, and I think everyone else is at a loss now too.

Everybody does know.
  • Options
    Please bear in mind that it's quite a common part of autism or ASD's that people may have varying levels of what's know as 'mindblindness'. This is a problem where people have trouble understanding that people think differently to them or that people have different understandings of the same concept or situation to them.

So, as mentioned earlier, it's really important that people consider that someone who may have some problems with the autistic spectrum may not take on board what other people are explaining to them in the same way.

It's perfectly valid to point out where that is occurring but when posting please try to avoid thinking that someone is going to understand what you are saying in the same way someone without autism would.

The term normally used for people without an ASD in the ASD community is 'neurotypical' which I think is actually quite helpful to start understanding possible differences.

People with ASD's may also experience problems with learning different or new concepts, and imitation skills can be lacking in people with ASDs or highly reduced which again causes problems around learning.

Now I'm not making a judgment about you there Kira, I'm just pointing out to people posting that they might need to remember some of those things when replying to you.

I know that you may be certain that everyone else understands things you don't. Not everyone does. However, it might be that you can't understand that, but as people have pointed out - that is true and maybe you'll be able to see that over time.

However the best thing might be for you to think about whether you want to go and see a GP about this for certain or would like to just continue to talk about how you feel.

Would you be able to say why you would want to see a GP and why you wouldn't? Then you could use that to decide and people could help you move towards getting seen, if that's what you want to do.

And for everyone, including you Kira, bear in mind that people are diverse and different. Many people have different understandings and skill levels, including around social situations (including online message boards) and it's always worth bearing that in mind.
  • Options
    everybody else does understand, and i want to as well.
  • Options
    everybody else does understand, and i want to as well.

Even, if you did get a diagnosis, I'm afraid that there is no magic key to understanding that could be given to you.
  • Options
    Even, if you did get a diagnosis, I'm afraid that there is no magic key to understanding that could be given to you.

:yes:
  • Options

Why not?
  • Options
    Why not?

There just isn't. There should be, and maybe one day in the future there will be, but right now and in the forseeable future there isn't.
  • Options
    There just isn't. There should be, and maybe one day in the future there will be, but right now and in the forseeable future there isn't.

I don't understand.
  • Options
    I don't understand.

However much you want there to be a pill that will give you understanding, there isn't and it is likely there never will be.
This discussion has been closed.